Patient Comments: Vestibular Balance Disorders - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms associated with your balance disorder. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: smjlpn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have had vertigo off and on my entire life. Symptoms of the balance disorder come on at different times, sometimes when I wake up other times when moving my head the wrong way. I can see walls spinning around and watch the ceiling or floor tilt. It is often accompanied by nausea and feeling faint. I am unsteady on my feet with symptoms.

Comment from: Harry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I am a 58 year old with a traumatic brain injury and have suffered a stroke because of the brain injury. I suffer severe dizziness when the barometric pressure goes up and down. The doctor says I have something they have never seen diagnosed before. It may sound strange, but I have found that taking a 7.5 mg Vicodin will straighten the balance disorder problem right out.

Comment from: neil m., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had symptoms of swaying, floating, instability, rocking in the inside of my body, even though I am sitting down. I was cleared of any vestibular problems by my ENT. I have spoken to other doctors and they say it is a brain issue. I do not suffer from vertigo, nausea, or throwing up.

Comment from: ESTHER, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I feel light headed and have fullness in right ear, sometimes, head and chest cold; my balance is not normal only when walking. I have seen 2 doctors, each feels it will go away. It is now over a month or more. It has improved, I have no ringing in ears, hearing is good, just a slight loss in hearing.

Comment from: Shu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 20

The balance disorder came on slowly starting about 5 years ago. I have had all necessary tests to determine why, but nothing has been found that would warrant a medical solution. This condition really ruins my life. I am now 77 and walking with a cane since I can't afford to fall. I have since developed joint, muscle and back problems due to inactivity. Frankly, I would rather sit. I believe depression has now been added to my ills. This is a condition that ruins life. I just want to share, having lost all hope of recovery!

Comment from: Francois, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I have balance disorder of falling backwards.

Comment from: mugsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

i have severe balance trouble, back weakness an upper back neck spasms an headache an visual trouble, a disoriented an tension in muscles from vision and autonomic malfunction an drs. dont know whats wrong. an its best described by me like m.s. hard to explain 12 yrs. like this at times worse than others, flare ups for months at a time. insomnia, ringing in the ears and heat an noise intolerant. I also have n stiff neck ect. painful muscles in upper back, it is disabling.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter