Patient Comments: Vestibular Balance Disorders - Diagnosis

How was your vestibular balance disorder diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: BigEd, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was hit with 480 volts in 1978. I couldn't turn loose of it for about 8 seconds, it knocked me off my feet with the powerlines still in my hands. I stayed in hospital 3 and half months, lost my ring finger on left hand. Grounded myself by grabbing both lines. Now I suffer so much pain all over; this shock has destroyed my body.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I fell from my horse in a cross country jumping accident on 23 April, 2016. I broke my left ankle (medial malleolus) after being catapulted off the horse and landing on my feet. My left ankle rotated inwards and caused the break. I have been in a non-weight bearing cast with crutches ever since. The cast is due to be removed tomorrow and then I will begin physiotherapy to get moving again. You don't realize the extent of how much of your independence is lost with this type of injury. Almost everything that you took for granted doing normally during the course of any day is almost impossible to do hobbling on crutches. I have gained a new appreciation for the severity of a leg injury after having experienced one now myself. Still a way to go until fully healed but nevertheless well on the road to recovery now.

Comment from: Arlene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had CAT scan, EKGs, heart monitors, Doppler; I was hospitalized so I had all the tests there. I recently had balance test at an ENT office and was told I have an inner ear infection.

Comment from: inbalance, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I was just recently diagnosed with bilateral peripheral vestibular dysfunction. It took me about 5+ years and a meltdown to finally push hard enough to get a diagnosis and resolution. Not that my physician wasn't willing, just unaware of the condition (they are very thrilled with my progress and intrigued by it all) My symptoms were more like that of just getting off a ship or having one too many drinks. I was tested by a physical therapist and then scheduled for 4 different phases of therapy. What a difference!

Comment from: lorrie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I'm an 82 year old female diagnosed with benign vertigo. As a child I often got car sickness, as well as on the water in a boat. Now I have bouts of the room spinning, feeling very unsteady on my feet and on two occasions have "thrown up". I have increased my water intake to 8 glasses a day. I am not on a salt free diet, though I should be. I did therapy with eye exercises, walking, moving exercises and various head movements to help me. I did very well, but have been neglecting the exercise program I was given to do daily for the rest of my life and consequently had a vicious attack, it was my worst ever. And, I believe it's because I have neglected my exercises and have been using too much salt. I rested after the attack and a few hours later felt good. However, one thing that really bugs me is that I felt like I was hyperventilating and felt panicky. That was almost worse then the "outer space, spinning around" feeling. I think now I am going to go back to my exercises and my water and watch my salt intake.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: September 12

By having a stroke which effected my cerebellum after an adjustment from my chiropractor.

Balance Disorders: Vertigo, Migraines, Motion Sickness and More