Patient Comments: Vertigo - Treatment

What kind of treatment have you had for your vertigo? Did it help? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shay_1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

My torticollis journey started about 6 years ago. I didn't know what was going on with my neck. All I knew was that it wanted to turn and it was difficult to keep it straight. Well, this was also the beginning to an issue with anxiety. I was so anxious at work that this was happening, I left work and went straight to urgent care. I was given a prescription for Ativan. So now I am dealing with anxiety and neck pain. It took a little over a year to get correctly diagnosed but in that time I was given different pain/anxiety medications. I was also now dealing with depression as my activity level greatly decreased and I gained about 40 lb and basically just tried to get through my work day so I could go home to rest. I was correctly diagnosed when I was sent to the pain specialist to get a cortisone shot. I think it might have been maybe 10 minutes into the doctor visit and he said I don't need cortisone, I need Botox, and I finally had an answer. It was bittersweet but I was happy to finally get some relief from the pain. I started Botox injections and went every 3 months with relief until I couldn't afford it anymore. It has been about 1 1/2 years since my last injection. I'm feeling like I may need to go see the pain doctor soon as my neck is starting to feel tight and I've had some headaches. I can relate to a lot of you out there that are suffering from torticollis.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have had vertigo on and off over a number of years. Sometimes it is so bad, I just can't move; I can only sit there and cry and moan. The one thing I have found that helps me is ear candling. You can buy small ear candles at the chemist and do it yourself. There are other large candles that ear candling professionals use. I did the one day course that allows me to buy the large ear candles. They work by gently extracting the wax in your ears and in the process, shift the irritation off your inner ear. It is the same theory as the maneuvers but much more gentle.

Comment from: Nomorevertigo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had chronic vertigo 4 years ago. It was so bad that I couldn't walk properly. I went and saw an acupuncturist and over a few months he was able to eradicate it. Every now and then I find it creeping back mildly, so he treats it accordingly. Please, before drugs or anything else - go and see a good acupuncturist.

Comment from: susieq, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

The 1st time I had vertigo it was early morning and I was still sleeping. It woke me up. My eyes were closed but I had that awful spinning sensation. When it stopped spinning I ran to the bathroom to vomit. I remember I had to wrap my arms around the toilet since I felt like I was being pulled away from it. I didn't know what it was since I never had it so I stayed in bed for a week just crawling to the restroom and kept a bucket by my bed to vomit. When I was okay enough to go to the doctor they gave me Activert but by that time I didn't need it. It happened again a few month later and when I took the Activert it was gone the next day. I noticed that when I bent my head to the right everything would spin. Over the next ten years I had 2 more episodes and this time it was my left side. Now 10 years later it came back and I have had it for 2 weeks. The Activert doesn't help and I was given exercises to do that didn't help. This time it's when I look up or down that triggers it. The doctor gave me 5 mg of Valium to try and so far that's not helping. MRI showed nothing so I'm just going to wait it out and hope it goes away.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

The doctors asked me to drink fluid and take pain killers if needed, for my vertigo.

Comment from: BryanH., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I had vertigo really bad and heard it was a crystal in the ear canal causing it and to do the exercises which did nothing but make me sick. I figured that there is a way to dislodge it better and fast. I leaned my head to one side then using the palm of my hand, I smacked my head a couple times. Then leaned to the other side and back and front doing the same thing. I used a fairly good thump. It was just before bed but noticed instantly that it did something. I woke up the next day and had no vertigo at all. It has been a month now and it still has not returned. I did this once before but only did one side and not as hard and it worked but not as good. It came back a day later when I rolled over onto the side I was having the problem with. The second time I was a lot more aggressive with the treatment and am happy. It dislodged the crystal or whatever it was.

Comment from: donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I just got my vertigo after 2 years. I have been taking diazepam. I got it today very dizzy. The room is going in circles and I am feeling sick.

Comment from: Gverhey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have vertigo for weeks on end. It started in 2011 when I had a stroke that affected my cerebellum. The neurologist has prescribed topiramate 400 mg and Valium 10 mg a day, it went away for 3 weeks, but I went off a medicine I was on for depression, and the vertigo went away for 8 months. It's back now 7 days straight, I recently found out I have ovarian cancer, had blood clot in leg and lung, I have to get this vertigo cleared up, I have to have surgery soon.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: August 11

I take Ativan, which knocks me out for the day, but stops the episode. My vertigo is neurological, so none of the treatments discussed are relevant. I've had a few ignorant doctors grab my head to perform the Eply Maneuver, ignoring my pleas to stop. In the 13 years I've suffered, I've only met one other person with this form of vertigo.

Comment from: mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I had over the counter treatments for vertigo.

Comment from: A. E., 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 18

Vertigo always was positive (in the past) when I was drinking a lot of alcohol in one night. Vertigo increases if I open my eyes. It is a very bad symptom. I found that it diminishes 70 % if I make an induced vomiting. Before sleep I drink a lot of water (about 1000 cc) to avoid the bad headache (2nd symptom of drinking alcohol) next morning. Thankfully I stopped drinking alcohol at 40 years of age.

Comment from: roost, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a stroke a few years ago, due to a blocked artery in my neck, in which a piece broke away travailing to my eye, this stopped the blood flow to the eye which resulted in total blindness in my left eye in 3 days, since then i am sure i am suffering from vertigo, i know i have lost my depth perception as well.

Comment from: KalenaL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I am in my early 40s, and have had vertigo upon waking, about once a year, for the last 20 years. I tried the Epley maneuver in the past without success. A few years ago I found a solution that works every time … my new chiropractor! Within 1 (maybe 2) visits, he gives me a neck adjustment (along with a hard tug on my earlobes). Really works!

Comment from: Et, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

Antivert (meclizine), it's wonderful. Most of the time it has to do with sinus problems which I have found to also correlate with my migraines. If I catch the symptoms soon one pill works. If really it's really bad then I take two pills and go to bed. When I was first diagnosed would have to take the pills for several days and stay out for it to take hold. But now knowing the symptoms, I take it on the first onset and I'm okay. Today is one of those days I ignored it and am now taking 2 pills and going to bed.

Comment from: Infogirl, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My mom suffered from Vertigo/BPPV, until a physical therapy nurse performed the Epley Manuever on her. The dizziness stopped almost immediately, and one treatment was all that was necessary.

Comment from: Now healthy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 08

I suffered from vertigo for six long miserable years. I had consultations with five different specialists, none of which helped me. I had to take Stemetil and I was highly allergic, so I had to take Benadryl to counteract it. I finally found a simple holistic solution given by a doctor. It was 12 tablespoons full of natural apple-cider vinegar with one tablespoon full of pure honey, mixed in a glass of water taken twice a day. The attacks diminished over six months and I have been attack free for 30 years.

Comment from: MA-vertigo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I have had Vertigo several times over the past 20 years. each time it was due to an inner ear issue - blockage due to allergies. I have found that dunking my head underwater or swimming can help to keep the symptoms at bay. When it does occur I usually use a small "squished" or "baster" to rinse out the ear canal. If symptoms persist I do use valium, prescribed by my doctor. This helps to minimize or eliminate the issue. However, I do continue to feel slightly dizzy for several days, which seems more psychological - anticipating the symptom. Most often I wake in the middle of the night very dizzy, needing to grab the bed frame and hold on!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have vertigo. It started about 7 months ago. Went to family doctor He gave me pills thought it was a virus. Things were moving and I was dizzy. That didn't help. I saw an ear nose throat doc they found nothing. I saw a neurologist found nothing. Had an MRI and scat can found nothing. Did some physical therapy did not help. I have vertigo 24-7. It does not go away. I wear a patch behind my ear to stop some of the movement. It used to do me good now it barley works. I still wear one it seems to help more than not. Everything moves all day long and the floor moves also. Well to me this does. I need help and don't know what else to do!

Comment from: shinglesfree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was diagnosed with shingles three weeks ago. I woke up in the middle of the night with the room spinning, vomiting, and headache. I went to the emergency room. I was admitted and stayed in the hospital four days. I was treated with steroids and anti-viral and of course antivert. I eventually was able to stand, and then walk. I went back to work after two weeks. My doctor suspects some nerve damage. I still have dizzy spells a few times a day. When the room starts spinning, I focus on an area and open my eyes wide. I learned from the doctor to never shut my eyes. I am careful to move my head slowly and if I turn in the bed to turn very slowly. I should start physical therapy next week. By the way, I did not get one bump, spot, and blister from the shingles. It stayed in the cerebral nerves.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter