Patient Comments: Vertigo - Causes

Do you know what causes or brings on your vertigo? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: KelBecker, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I suffer from severe vertigo when I get onto an elevator. Even going one floor will make me sick for hours and hours. I always use the stairs when possible. However in a recent trip we were placed on the 30th floor and were absolutely not allowed to use the stairs. In turn I was ill for all four days I was there. I have used the patch you put behind ear and it helped a little, however not enough to allow me to enjoy myself. I always ask for a ground/lower floor if possible.

Comment from: AceRockol, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I had vertigo off and on for 7 weeks, always when I lay down on my right side in bed. I went to an ENT doctor, and he said it's either the crystals, or my neck. I have degenerative disk disease in a couple of neck vertebrae, as well as scoliosis. I'm really hoping it's the crystals and not my neck. Getting old is painful.

Comment from: carol d, Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I started have vertigo attacks about 2 years ago. I blamed it on a recent surgery for removal of part of my lung. The first one was strong, it pushed me to the floor. The rest of them were slight and manageable. I had another one today; a bad one. I held on to the table near to me, unable to walk for several minutes. Also, my face felt like a severe blush, a feeling of heat going through my whole body. Two hours later, I still feel unsteady. I am totally recovered from my surgery and don't know why this is happening.

Comment from: jay, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I have vertigo, my mother and her father had it. In all of our cases, it starts around age 35. Episodes always begin while lying down, you roll over and find yourself (or the room) spinning out of control. It lasts from hours to weeks, depending on the severity of the initial episode. I have found sleeping with my head raised prevents it. Lying flat seems to cause it by allowing the rocks in your head to fall out of place. Prevention is to learn to sleep at an inclined angle, especially during an attack. Recliners that you can sleep in are great. Rules during an attack; don't look up, don't look down, no sudden head movement, and don't bend over.

Comment from: lbloom, (Patient) Published: October 31

Recently, while crossing a long high bridge on my bicycle I developed vertigo. I made it across the bridge but on my return trip I had to walk my bicycle. I have not experienced symptoms of vertigo at any other time.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I am a male 51 years old, and I work for FedEx, drive semi for them. I have had vertigo for 2 weeks now, but I am back to work. The weird thing is that we have 5 drivers that have had vertigo.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have been fighting with vertigo for 2 months, and it is horrible. My ENT doctor keeps sending me around the world with different treatment and medicines and I still have dizziness really bad every single day.

Comment from: Forrie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

It would seem that the new pain medication Zohydro is what has caused my vertigo. My doctor gave me Meclizine and Undivert. And that was taken it away. I am also under stress, but we went of Zohydro for a month, went back on for a week and that must be it.

Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I"m 30 years old and have been looking for answers to my vertigo for five years now. I"m at the point of depression and fatigue. Along with vertigo I also wake with numbness in my arms and I cannot use my hands due to weakness for a while. I have migraines, nausea, vomiting, ringing in ears to loss of hearing, blurred vision and a constant balance issue. The doctor and neurologist keep sending me on a roundabout of tests that always offer different answers. It"s severely affecting my life.

Comment from: cookie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a concussion from a fall. It has been four weeks, I still have a bump on forehead, an area under my eye is black/blue and I get dizzy. When I want to get up from lying down I must raise myself up in bed slowly and wait until I"m not dizzy, to stand. Also, sometimes just rolling over in bed I will get very dizzy. I was hoping it would go away, however I've decided to call the doctor tomorrow. I really need help.

Comment from: Michael, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I had a two-hour flight, I'm scared of flying. Five days later, I sat at a table in a restaurant and felt a wave of 'static' attacking my brain like a clamp, causing extreme lightheadedness, and so, I hyperventilated badly, requiring hospitalization immediately. I was diagnosed only with hyperventilation. Later, a doctor guessed it was vertigo related to the flight I had had. Then, weeks later, another hospital said it was hyperventilation, even though I was no longer hyperventilating, or if I was, not much so. I read about VVS (Vasovagal Syncope) and figured that although my electrolytes and blood pressure were normal during medical test times, I should increase my blood pressure to iron out any possible VVS attacks I was having. Within two days of adding much salt to my low-salt diet, the almost daily hours of lightheadedness (almost fainting) practically disappeared. I drank plenty of water with the increased salt intake to increase blood volume (without going to extremes of course). I also stopped sighing whenever possible, which eliminated any residual hyperventilation I was doing. Doing okay now, since that time (about a week), fingers crossed. The whole experience has been the worst, most frightening period of my life. But I have learnt not to fear nature's regulatory response of fainting, and that as all my vitals are fine, the chance of my actually dying from another severe attack of lightheadedness is one in a million, if that.

Published: July 09

My husband acquired an outer ear infection two years ago. At the hospital, he was treated for a bacterial infection. Three days later, he suffered facial paralysis and severe pain in his ear and right side of his head. After being admitted to the hospital, it was discovered he had shingles and the virus had spread to his brain. He underwent six months of therapy for his accompanying dizziness and vestibular problems. Now two years later, he is still dizzy and has numerous balance problems. He cannot drive or perform normal activities. He only gets relief when he lies down; so much of his life is spent in bed. If he had been given Valtrex the first day he went to the hospital, he may not be as bad as he is. The doctor says that the nerve from the inner ear to the brain is damaged, as well as two facial nerves. He looks like he had a stroke. He must walk with a cane to support himself so he does not fall down. He is taking gabapentin for the pain and meclizine for the dizziness along with an antidepressant. He is soon to start another round of therapy for the dizziness.

Comment from: LIB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had vertigo now for four year and also Meniere's. I work in aged care and am studying. Only recently I have felt worse with vertigo, the ringing in my ears drives me insane. The buzzers at work only worsen the ringing. I find it hard to sleep and stay asleep, and to exercise as I get dizzy just doing the normal exercise. I am gaining weight I so don't like how I feel. One doctor has suggested manually making me deaf in one ear but that terrifies me. I feel it is going to interfere with my work life, family and social life. It is four years and I am still not handling it very well.

Comment from: hel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my sinuses drained and a week later developed vertigo which I have had before. I wonder if the operation could have caused the vertigo.

Comment from: Sim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

My vertigo seems to get aggravated with stress and relaxes when hearing music or placing my head between legs.

Comment from: Bernice, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

For the past 2 months I have experienced a wavy, unsteady, floating disorientation. I was diagnosed with strep throat and prescribed meds for strep and that is when I recall it 1st started happening. I thought the feeling was a result of the meds. I am afraid to drive and cry continuously because I feel unsteady and blurry. I am afraid to move my head. The feeling comes in waves continuously when I am up and moving, it even occurs when I am laying down if I move my eyes or head. It is quite frightening to me. The meclizine prescribed does not seem to work for me. I have had no relief, but have only been taking it 3 days so far. I do have a history of bi polar disorder (manic depression) diagnosed 10 years ago and take Seroquel, Xanax, Cymbalta and Ambien. I feel increased anxiety daily as the meds continue to disappoint me.

Comment from: Pam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have no definite diagnosis at this time. For over 5 years I have battled vertigo, dizziness, migraines, and actually falling down. First diagnosis was MS. Then that changed to a stroke. Now, an inner ear disorder. My hearing is intact so the ENT doctor could not help me. My neuorologist now believes it is something with the labyrinth. I have tried numerous medications. Now surgery may be in the future with the risk losing my hearing attached to it. Is there anyone with the same frustration over being unable to accurately diagnose the problems?

Comment from: Ami, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have problems walking down stairs. It often leads to me almost tripping or missing the next step. I wonder if this is a sign of vertigo.

Comment from: Juls, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

About 5 weeks ago I banged my head quite bad, I went into hospital had scans done all fine,but since I can't lay on my right side without going dizzy and when I roll over in bed I feel as if I'm gonna fall off the bed. Getting up fast also makes me dizzy.

Comment from: dizzy no answers, Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I always had vertigo on and off as a kid, with no answers. At some point in my 20s, a doctor guessed that it might have something to do with childhood meningitis. Then when I was about 46, I started to not feel right. I woke up one morning and the room was spinning. Every time I moved my head or my eyes, the world moved. It took two months with help to be able to walk to the store again and slowly with physical therapy to go back to work. His "guess” this time was the inner ear. But the ear, nose, and throat specialist did not find anything conclusive. They could not help. I ended up taking nightly meds of Imipramine and Ativan to help sleep and keep it at bay. It has been over four years now and I've been dealing with it daily. Some days are good, some days are bad. Two months ago I started having aching in my joints, pain, numbness, headaches, “glands on fire,” weakness, and horrible pain. Of course, I had increased dizziness. So far, I've gotten no help from my doctors. This time around I'm going to see every doctor there is to give me a definite answer or diagnosis. One thing I've been trying is self-help – cutting out salt, caffeine, alcohol, processed foods, and sugars. I eat three balanced, nutritious meals, exercise, and get plenty of sleep. These things have helped.

Comment from: Collette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Seven years ago I was diagnosed with BPPV-Benign Paroximal Positional Vertigo. For over a year I was dizzy. Then in July of this year, I began to have the symptoms again, dizziness, falling, nausea. I was put through epply maneuvers, it didn't make a difference. I am seeing a really good neuro-otolaryngologist now and I have also been diagnosed with vestibular migraines as well as an inner-ear dysfunction. It is quite debilitating, but with a low grade level anti depressant to help with the vestibular migraines, I have seen some relief with the actual dizziness. He may recommend surgery for the BPPV, if the medications are not successful. My suggestion, don't get up too fast, when you are walking pretend there is a heavy magnet on your feet to ground you. My neurological therapy has really helped. I use a cane only outside of the house, so that I won't become dependent. But it does assist me in my balance. I wish you all well.

Comment from: di, 45-54 Female Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with vertigo spells about 11 years ago. I bent down to pick up my infant daughter and that was all she wrote! I could barely stand back up - everything felt like it was moving. My head was spinning and I felt nauseous. I was scared to death. After I sat for a while the sensations slowed down. When I had another episode a while later (maybe within a year), I went to the doc and was diagnosed with vertigo. The Epley exercises were recommended. Similar to one of the writers here, mine has to do with head positioning. I cannot sleep on my left side - has to be the right side. I can usually tell when I get out of bed in the morning if I will have an episode. I will sometimes get little warning signs - slightly dizziness or a little wave of imbalance. Anyway, I have pretty much learned my limitations - NO amusement park rides, not a lot of physical activity at once, i.e, squatting and lifting, painting walls or ceilings, swimming underwater. My nurse at work suggested I take a decongestant when I feel any symptoms. My biggest struggle right now is not knowing when I might wake up feeling like crap. I usually miss a day of work then another day is spent being very careful with how I bend over, walk, etc. I also have a dull headache the next day. But if this is all I have to deal with from a physical standpoint, I can handle it!

Comment from: Georgie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have suffered with vertigo for more than 25 years. It started in 1981 but was not diagnosed as vertigo. The next bad attack was 10 years later in 1992. This lasted two years, and I had all the tests, scans etc., and was diagnosed as having vertigo. The next bad episode was in 2001 after an operation. This lasted more than one year and was very bad. I was diagnosed as having damage to my right ear, probably caused by a virus and this caused cognitive problems and crystals in my inner ear. I could not drive, could not go to work, could not concentrate. I had a lot of therapy, light, re-education of the brain, various medications, etc., and all this has helped. From 2001 to date, I have constant vertigo. Sometimes the vertigo is manageable, and this can last for months. Other times, it is bad, and I stay at home. I do not take any medication as I do not think this works for me. I avoid anything that might bring on an attack, but if the crystals in my inner ear move, then I have a bad attack that lasts for days or weeks. I am learning to live with it, but sometimes it is depressing.

Comment from: GK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have suffered with vertigo for more than 20 years. My doctor found no problem with my ears. The eventual diagnosis was spondylitis in my neck and spine, or a trapped nerve. I cannot lie on my right side for long, and if I fall asleep in that position, the dizziness wakes me with a start and is most unpleasant. I have not had a decent night's sleep for years, and this condition is very debilitating and interferes with one's life. There are so many causes of vertigo. It is so difficult to precisely diagnose exactly what it is that is causing it. I have found it comforting to read this site, and accounts of people in the same position as me. All the medication I take is the occasional travel sickness pill, and I have had many physiotherapy sessions, which have helped a little.

Comment from: Marsha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I experienced severe vertigo attacks in 2005. My world would swirl fast, I would vomit the whole day, and I was in bed for one week. I was tired and couldn't even talk. My ears are OK, so the doctor said it was because of stress. I am now learning how to take time and not stress myself. I am taking Serc tablet whenever I feel that I will have an attack.

Published: July 02

I was seen by an otolaryngologist who told me that there was a slight density within my left ear. I was referred to physical therapy and put on an anti-anxiety pill and meclizine to control dizziness, none of which help. So I don't feel as if my physician answered my questions very well.

Published: July 02

I was diagnosed with Vertigo, a vestibular disorder by a neurologist. The episode comes very suddenly and without warning. I have the sense that the floor I am standing on is not stable and causes me to fall over. I have to lay down sometimes for 6 hours before the problem mitigates. I am here researching at this site because I had an episode on July 1st, the first time in over 10 years. More then 10 years ago I would get these 'attacks' 4-5 times a year (thankfully not when I am driving a car!). After much analysis and testing, the doctor prescribed Zyrtec 10mg which I take every morning. Since taking Zyrtec I went over 10 years without an episode. I think the problem, although not fully diagnosed is related to Meniere's Disease. I had a sudden loss of hearing about a month ago and now on Prednisone for a month to see if this fixes my hearing loss. I am back to normal on July 2nd having slept for 13 hours because it exhausted me!

Published: June 17

I have benign positional vertigo. That means I get dizzy when I position my head in a certain way. A couple of Mother's Day ago I was taking a bath when I put my head back to wash my head when the room spun out of control. I was sick for a month. I could not even drive. Finally, I went to see my doctor who prescribed vestibular therapy. Although not a pleasant experience, it really helped me a lot. It taught me to live with my dizziness. The physical therapist had me lay flat on a table with my head hanging over at a certain degree and then manipulated my head in a number of ways and had me roll from side to side with my head in a different position. If dizziness occurred I had to remain in that position until the dizziness subsided. It was not fun. After the procedure was done, I felt pretty bad for a couple of hours, but then as time when on, I felt much better for a long, long time. I have not had a "bad" dizzy spell in almost two years. If I feel like I am getting dizzy, I take a deep breath and reposition my head. I still have trouble laying down flat or looking to my left when lying down. I also feel light-headed when I scoop down suddenly or bend over for an extended period of time. The best thing I do is avoid situations that put me in these positions. When I sleep, I never lay on my left side and many times I put an extra pillow underneath my head so that I am not laying flat. As a result, I do not sleep as well as I should, but I manage. If you learn your limitations, your life can get better and dizziness can be managed. Hang in there.

Published: June 09

As a viral infection which caused permanent damage to my vestibular nerves- (44% right unilateral weakness)- all I know is My sense of balance and motion is effected and it is very disabling to me, as an active person.

Published: June 09

Just to let you know that I am dizzy, vertigo since close to l0 years now due to a brain operation. I had an AVM (Aneurysm) and was operated near the cerebellum. Yes, since then I am always dizzy and the more I move, turn, walk from left to right etc., more I become dizzy and motion sick. If anyone has or can recommend me certain ideas on how I would not be as dizzy I would appreciate it.

Comment from: Chandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

My problem started with Tinnitus--ringing in the ear. Ten years back I was treated for Tinnitus and vertigo. The vertigo disappeared after few months but Tinnitus is still there. For The last 7 days I am suffering from vertigo again. The doctor suggests I may have glomus in my left ear.

Comment from: beckie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I lose my balance a lot but fall backwards more than forward, sometimes have double vision, my balance is getting worse. I take fluid med. and antihistamines but it didn't work I'm starting to worry. I also have spells when I lay down my bed spins.

Comment from: janeinuk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I found your web site most informative. I suffered with what I was told, an anxiety disorder for 22 years. I never had a life and developed fears as well as avoidance behavior. I never realized that I had a vestibular disorder. Meclizine saved my life, and now I able to travel as well as understand why the things that bothered me (going to the movies, amusement park rides, escalators, etc.) were so intense. I hope anyone that goes to doctors or therapists for what they believe is an anxiety disorder, checks out their ear first. I wish someone told me that when I was young. I am not old but a lot of life has past me by.

Comment from: dizbag, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 40-year-old female that is dizzy! I have been having sudden vertigo and dizziness for 20 years. It comes out of nowhere, and I will be bed-ridden for three to five days. I have severe vomiting and terrible pressure behind the eyes. This last episode was by far the worst. No one ever has answers, and by the time they can get me an appointment, the symptoms are usually gone!

Comment from: betty boop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was just diagnosed this evening after feeling dizzy and lightheaded for three days. I decided to go into the emergency room because I just couldn't shake this feeling, I couldn't really describe what I was feeling, but I knew something was not right. I had never heard of vertigo before.

Comment from: Sam, 75 or over (Patient) Published: August 26

I am a 79 year old woman who woke up in the early morning with the room spinning around me, diarrhea, and nausea. I called the doctor and he told me to go to the emergency room, which I did. They took numerous tests and told me that I had vertigo but, that the usual vertigo did not go with diarrhea. Therefore, they thought that I had a 24 hour virus. I was sent home with no more information than when I was in the emergency room.

Comment from: PJY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had BPPV, but also have a vestibular disorder. I have constant ringing in my ears, 31% loss of hearing in one ear and I have told them my face gets twitches at times. They never did an MRI or CAT scan, just sent me to a balance place that ran the gambit of tests to diagnosis my problem. I am now seeing colors after doing my therapy. Should I be concerned?

Comment from: Katy, 65-74 Female Published: August 19

When I fly and the plane is coming down I get very dizzy and it is very hard to focus on anything. When standing I almost fall over which is very scary. After about 5 minutes or so I seem to be okay with no ill effects. My ear doctor has prescribed prednisone the evening before and the day of the flight. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow. According to a test today, I have good hearing. In 2006, I had a case of severe vertigo. This time, it's a vague sense of vertigo all the time. The ear doctor gave me a motion test using the goggles. I was very dizzy and sick to my stomach turning right and left. The doctor then scheduled my MRI.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter