Patient Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

Do you experience nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms with your vertigo? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dolly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 14

A recent vertigo episode occurred this morning. It started with profuse sweating all over my body. I was dizzy and everything was spinning. I also was vomiting and had diarrhea. When I moved or tried to walk I became even dizzier and vomited more. Even opening my eyes made my symptoms worse. It was difficult to even open my eyes without vomiting. I could not focus to read even medical labels. This continued for approximately 4 or 5 hours.

Comment from: satish, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

On 15th and 16th of this month my wife experienced vertigo symptoms. She was vomiting continuously and was feeling dizziness. At first we thought it was acidity, all medicines were given to her but no change. After some doctor came and told us it was vertigo, treatment was given accordingly and now she is ok. I wonder if she will face this kind of problem again.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My daughter started experiencing dizziness, and nausea with severe headaches during and after a virus which lasted one month. Since this very bad bout of flu which has reoccurred, she has been unable to drive, feeling a lack of co-ordination. She is very concerned about this as she has had to pull aside and call her husband to pick her up on three occasions.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have always had this vertigo since I was a child, like car sickness and only can sit on the passenger side when riding in backseat. Recently I had a plane ride and was very dizzy when I got up to exit plane both trips. I could barely stand as I was so off balance. Lately I have been joining the kids in their pool and after about 30 minutes of floating on back and swimming under water, when I stand up I have been dizzy and nauseous. Seems to happen every time I try to join them in the pool.

Comment from: seadog Dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

When I roll to my right I spin out of control, cannot walk, and throw up because of vertigo. When I push on my head my right ear rings worse than ever.

Comment from: tgpsillas, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I suffered from vertigo. I was always nauseated and feeling sea-sick all the time. I thought my days were numbered. The medicines I was taking actually made me feel sicker. Go figure.

Comment from: rich, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I did vomit twice with vertigo. Felt like the stroke I had ten years ago but much less.

Comment from: Tammy57, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 08

I am just curious. July 2016 my husband had a heart attack. He was told he needed angioplasty. If this procedure wasn't done, leaving my husband with limited breathing capacity, I wonder if that could cause vertigo.

Comment from: Feadedfeather50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

Yesterday I woke feeling dizzy when I turned over. I started feeling sick to my stomach. When I went to get out of the shower I bent over to put a towel over my wet hair, I got so dizzy it made me sick again. If I look up at the ceiling it does the same thing.

Comment from: AThompson, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I just had a severe vertigo experience that lasted about 3 hours in the hospital. It was my second time, but this was much worse; extreme nausea, dizziness, extreme weakness to the point of almost passing out (I could hear but could not respond), and even hallucinating, as the room moved in weird ways in addition to the spinning if I opened my eyes. All the tests done showed no indications of heart or brain malfunction. I was told it happens more with age. I am 78.

Comment from: My wife Ling, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have been diagnosed by the local government clinic to be suffering from vertigo. Yes, nausea, vomiting and spinning sensation were the problems I went through that day. I was rested by the doctor and was administered a drip. After that when I felt much better I was asked to go back home. Now I am worried that this illness will recur.

Comment from: Tammy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

With vertigo my eyes were wavy like hot cement, or tornado spinning. I was nauseous and weak. I thought I was having a stroke.

Comment from: naeem, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I feel weakness with vertigo, sometimes I feel my ears blocking. When I drive, especially 50 miles or above, my brain starts shaking and I get panic attack, I feel that I may lose control of my car. When I move my head in circle three or four times I start feeling dizzy. I am diabetic, I have sleep apnea, and high cholesterol but not high blood pressure.

Comment from: Chrissie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I experience nausea, vomiting, frontal headaches, chills, dizziness and feeling of walking sideways. I also get overwhelming fatigue with vertigo.

Comment from: yelhsa123, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

Last week, my 5 year old daughter had an episode of dizziness, nausea, and vomiting for about 10 hours, but no fever or other symptoms. When we took her to the emergency room (mostly concerned about dehydration) they said it was vertigo; very rare in a child. The next 48 hours were filled with pediatrician and neurologist appointments, admittance to the hospital for blood work, MRI and lumbar puncture (and IV finally). All tests were normal thank goodness, and after one 1/4 dose of meclizine, she was able to eat and drink and after a few days able to sit, stand, walk. She was totally back to normal a week later. So scary, and hopefully it won"t happen again, but if it does, we"ll know what it is and wait for it to pass.

Comment from: louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

The nausea and dizziness with my vertigo is unbelievable. Not being to walk to the toilet but having to crawl at times or even being physical helped is so embarrassing. Lying down and getting up takes up to 10 minutes and then trying to get to another room is time consuming. It just hits you like a bomb with no real warning signs beforehand. People around you think that you are drunk because it looks the same as a drunk person not being able to control their movements!

Comment from: Mohd.S., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I had sudden spinning of head one year ago and it stopped after taking drips. Again when I woke up in the morning, I had severe head spinning and nonstop vomiting. I was looking for a solution.

Comment from: Richard, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I am a retired engineer. I have been deaf in my left ear for several years (cause unknown). My first serious episode of vertigo occurred about 18 month ago. Since that time I have experienced episodes of varying intensity at least once a month. I had surgery to implant a tube in my inner ear which seemed to help for a short time but now the symptoms have returned. This thing has taken over my life and I don't know where to turn.

Comment from: skeetah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

With vertigo I have nausea, head pain, and earache.

Comment from: lala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

Because of vertigo I have fullness in head, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, and noise in ear.

Comment from: bina, 35-44 (Patient) Published: June 10

I feel dizziness, vomiting and imbalance because of my vertigo.

Comment from: Meyri, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I always feel like my world is spinning when I'm about to go to bed. When I wake up every morning and when I tilt my head up and I always feel like vomiting. I've already checked my blood pressure and the nurse told me it's normal. 100/70. I'm also sure I'm not pregnant. Maybe this is vertigo.

Comment from: venkatesh, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 12

My wife is a chronic bronchial asthma patient. She had her valvuloplasty a few years ago, and had been hospitalized many times due to chest infection, severe breathlessness, and tuberculosis (treated as an outdoor patient for a little over six months). Post TB, she has been having some health problem or the other, including chest infection, herpes - she is still not free from this - and, presently, she feels imbalance due to giddiness. Presently, she has been advised to take Vertin 16 mg, thrice daily. If there is need, as an SOS, she has been advised to take Stemetil MD. She does not experience vomiting, nausea or any other problem with vertigo.

Comment from: Muhammad A., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I feel the world is dizzying. I am very much confused. I am vomiting much.

Comment from: deli3354, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

My vertigo is onset by sinus. When I start to catch a cold and my sinuses get runny, is when it starts. I have to take Sudafed to dry out my sinuses and that seems to take about a week to help go back to normal. I get very nauseous when vertigo starts and that always ends up in vomiting.

Comment from: Judee, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

I have had a touch of vertigo for the past several days, along with nausea, and a sense of wanting to vomit.

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have vertigo for over a year now. It's the falling down, nauseated, throwing-up kind. It begins with the spinning room and gets worse from there and last one to two hours. I feel very weak and chilled afterward and go to sleep. I am currently taking Serc four times a day. I also have vestibular migraines associated with vertigo. I'm currently seeing an ear, nose, and throat doctor for hearing loss.

Comment from: katz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had nausea and vomiting very severely with the vertigo.

Comment from: anonymous, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been diagnosed with vertigo for two years now and I can tell you that it is not pleasant. I don't have the nausea and vomiting with it. I'm not able to walk without some kind of aid.

Comment from: Gardener Lady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My vertigo symptoms include a roaring noise (tinnitus), instant nausea, dizziness, loss of balance, photophobia, continuous vomiting, urinary incontinence, along with the inability to move except my toes and fingers. My speech is OK. The symptoms last several hours before gradually improving.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter