Patient Comments: Vasectomy - Experience

Please describe your experience with vasectomy. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: JC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I'm glad for those who had a painless vasectomy procedure. My experience was the opposite. While lying on the operation table, I can still recall the doctor saying, 'you are going to feel like I kicked you on your left testicle, please don't move,' and boy he was not kidding. The pain was unbearable! Ten minutes later I was glad to hear, 'all done' and then was paralyzed with fear to hear, 'now let's work on the right side.' After the procedure, no pain medication was prescribed. I was told 2 days rest and to gradually increase my activities as tolerated and to take over the counter pain medications. I have been taking ibuprofen 600 for pain and gradually been reducing the daily doses. I'm 8 days post-surgery and still having constant slight to moderate pain but I'm able to do light activities. I feel about 40 percent recovered and continue to improve on a daily basis. I'm unable to have sex due to pain but I was glad to find out I could get an erection. My suggestion, do your homework on the different types of procedures available, sounds like some of them are less painful than mine.

Comment from: JJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I had a traditional bilateral vasectomy in 1982. We had two children and desired no more and wanted permanent birth control. I had the surgery in the morning and came home and rested with ice packs in the afternoon. I resumed my work as a construction worker the next day, though my movements were calculated and slow. I had minimal pain and bruising from the vasectomy surgery. My wife and I have now lived with our decision to have me sterilized for 34 years with never a regret. It was the best decision we made for our family planning.

Comment from: theo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I had vasectomy 6 days ago and am still hurting. I am feeling a bit disappointed that I'm not recovering faster. I am still feeling ache in my testicles and lower abdomen. The procedure was quick and easy. I was laid low for one day and then have resumed work but have not resumed working out, heavier activities, etc., due to pain. Really hoping I'm not a 1 in 1000 with PVPS (post-vasectomy pain syndrome). Living with this ongoing would be terrible!

Comment from: Aukay, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a vasectomy done 4 days ago. It took about 15 minutes. My testicles are a little sore and nothing else. I took only 3 pills for pain and a little bit of ice on it this morning. I'll give it a little bit of time and reassess.

Comment from: job, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I had my vasectomy 23/Jun/2014. After the anesthesia effect diminished I felt the pain of my life. It is like the doctor was stepping on my testicles. After 4 days the pain subsided and I could go back to work. I however had to sit at an angle because my testicles were still untouchable. Two weeks and the incision point was not healed I had taken two doses of antibiotics by then. I had to go back to the doctor after I found pus on my incision. A change of antibiotic worked for me after 2 additional weeks. The incision is now healed.

Comment from: TKR2013, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had my vasectomy in 1980. I went to work 2 hours later with no problem. I haven"t had any pain or problems with the best decision I have ever made.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter