Patient Comments: Vasectomy - Experience

Please describe your experience with vasectomy. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: JJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I had a traditional bilateral vasectomy in 1982. We had two children and desired no more and wanted permanent birth control. I had the surgery in the morning and came home and rested with ice packs in the afternoon. I resumed my work as a construction worker the next day, though my movements were calculated and slow. I had minimal pain and bruising from the vasectomy surgery. My wife and I have now lived with our decision to have me sterilized for 34 years with never a regret. It was the best decision we made for our family planning.

Comment from: theo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I had vasectomy 6 days ago and am still hurting. I am feeling a bit disappointed that I'm not recovering faster. I am still feeling ache in my testicles and lower abdomen. The procedure was quick and easy. I was laid low for one day and then have resumed work but have not resumed working out, heavier activities, etc., due to pain. Really hoping I'm not a 1 in 1000 with PVPS (post-vasectomy pain syndrome). Living with this ongoing would be terrible!

Comment from: Aukay, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a vasectomy done 4 days ago. It took about 15 minutes. My testicles are a little sore and nothing else. I took only 3 pills for pain and a little bit of ice on it this morning. I'll give it a little bit of time and reassess.

Comment from: job, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I had my vasectomy 23/Jun/2014. After the anesthesia effect diminished I felt the pain of my life. It is like the doctor was stepping on my testicles. After 4 days the pain subsided and I could go back to work. I however had to sit at an angle because my testicles were still untouchable. Two weeks and the incision point was not healed I had taken two doses of antibiotics by then. I had to go back to the doctor after I found pus on my incision. A change of antibiotic worked for me after 2 additional weeks. The incision is now healed.

Comment from: TKR2013, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had my vasectomy in 1980. I went to work 2 hours later with no problem. I haven"t had any pain or problems with the best decision I have ever made.

View the Impotence Slideshow Pictures