Patient Comments: Vasectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for vasectomy?

Comment from: Turn around, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I had a vasectomy on Friday 10-13-17 at 11 am. There was some slight pain and tugging during the procedure, but nothing outrageous. That day was spent on the couch, basically no movement. After the novocaine wore off I was very sore, but I expected that. Next day I felt a bit better. I went outside in the afternoon and moved some tools around in the shed, 2 to 3 hours of activity. I was still sore, so I went back to bed. Sunday, I feel better still and I decided to mow the lawn in the afternoon. Nothing over the top, just pushed the mower around for 30 minutes or so. Still sore, not terrible, but still couldn't walk normal. The next day I went to work as instructed by my doctor. I work on factory equipment for a living. I was on ladders, under machines, pulling cables, moving heavy machinery, on lifts running air lines. This is all every day stuff in my profession. Three fourths of the way through my shift I couldn't move. I had debilitating pain in my scrotum. I took 4 Advil tablets, and I could barely drive home. I went to the doctor the next day, and he told me I had a hematoma (internal blood clot), very painful! He tells me I shouldn't have been doing those things at work. But that's my job! He ordered me out of work for the next week. I'm currently on my back in bed with pain radiating through my pelvis and scrotum! Hematomas happens in 5 percent of patients! And after sharing my story with other vasectomy victims, I have realized that out of the 8 guys I know who have now had vasectomies 4 of them have had 'abnormal' and painful complications; 50 percent! Can 50% still be considered abnormal! Everything from hematomas to inflammation of the epididymis, to undiagnosed PVP (post vasectomy pain). And in bad pain longer than that! Burned all my vacation time, and just got informed that the ultrasound and radiology reading I was required to do for the hematoma is not covered by my insurance and could be up to USD 3,000. Don't do it! Huge mistake!

Comment from: Jude, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 28

I had my vasectomy done 8 days ago. I put on a brave face and the actual procedure wasn't bad at all. The first 2 days were a breeze. Pain was 1 out of 10 which a few Panadol helped. I started feeling pain about day 3 (3/10). Five days later, I accidentally scratched the left wound and blood gushed out everywhere. I just poured some Betadine over it and let it heal itself. Everything is ok but it's all still a bit tender and I have a bit of abdominal pain. I am still a bit freaked out about going back to the gym. A bit disappointed I don't feel 100 percent quite yet.

Comment from: TJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I had the traditional bi-lateral vasectomy over a year ago. The scrotum area was numbed up prior to surgery but even so when the vas deferens was cut on both sides I could feel a dull ache. It was kind of scary when on the table having it done all I could think of was the permanency of what I was having done. I had a quick recovery after resting for one day, as the next day I was back at work at construction. We have two children and did not want any more. Vasectomy was the best choice we made and we have not looked back with any regrets.

Comment from: InControl, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I had my vasectomy about a week ago. No scalpel. One hole, and titanium clips on both severed ends. I had pain after surgery, felt good to be in bed (and not moving, as legs knock testicles and the weight of them also hurts). Pain was most intense on day 3, and I could also see some bruising at the top of the scrotum and along the very bottom. I took it easy, used Polysporin and followed the doctor's directions religiously. Every day after the third day, it's gotten better and better in terms of pain and ease of walking. I can't run or exercise yet, but good gentle care and patience seem to be winning this recovery.

Comment from: worried wife, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

Please get all the information available before you go ahead with the vasectomy procedure. I wish my husband never had it done. In August it has almost been a year and he is in constant pain. We think he is suffering from post-vasectomy pain syndrome. And now with our wonderful medical plan we have in Canada we have been waiting for six months to see a urologist. I wish I would have had my tubes tied but my husband opted for this procedure given advice from friends and family that it wasn't a big deal. The figures range from 10 to 30 percent who suffer from this condition, and guess what! There is no cure, and no research. Do not get it done!

Vasectomy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with vasectomy.
Vasectomy - Reversal Question: Please describe your experience with vasectomy reversal.