Patient Comments: Vasectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for vasectomy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Turn around, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I had a vasectomy on Friday 10-13-17 at 11 am. There was some slight pain and tugging during the procedure, but nothing outrageous. That day was spent on the couch, basically no movement. After the novocaine wore off I was very sore, but I expected that. Next day I felt a bit better. I went outside in the afternoon and moved some tools around in the shed, 2 to 3 hours of activity. I was still sore, so I went back to bed. Sunday, I feel better still and I decided to mow the lawn in the afternoon. Nothing over the top, just pushed the mower around for 30 minutes or so. Still sore, not terrible, but still couldn't walk normal. The next day I went to work as instructed by my doctor. I work on factory equipment for a living. I was on ladders, under machines, pulling cables, moving heavy machinery, on lifts running air lines. This is all every day stuff in my profession. Three fourths of the way through my shift I couldn't move. I had debilitating pain in my scrotum. I took 4 Advil tablets, and I could barely drive home. I went to the doctor the next day, and he told me I had a hematoma (internal blood clot), very painful! He tells me I shouldn't have been doing those things at work. But that's my job! He ordered me out of work for the next week. I'm currently on my back in bed with pain radiating through my pelvis and scrotum! Hematomas happens in 5 percent of patients! And after sharing my story with other vasectomy victims, I have realized that out of the 8 guys I know who have now had vasectomies 4 of them have had 'abnormal' and painful complications; 50 percent! Can 50% still be considered abnormal! Everything from hematomas to inflammation of the epididymis, to undiagnosed PVP (post vasectomy pain). And in bad pain longer than that! Burned all my vacation time, and just got informed that the ultrasound and radiology reading I was required to do for the hematoma is not covered by my insurance and could be up to USD 3,000. Don't do it! Huge mistake!

Comment from: Jude, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 28

I had my vasectomy done 8 days ago. I put on a brave face and the actual procedure wasn't bad at all. The first 2 days were a breeze. Pain was 1 out of 10 which a few Panadol helped. I started feeling pain about day 3 (3/10). Five days later, I accidentally scratched the left wound and blood gushed out everywhere. I just poured some Betadine over it and let it heal itself. Everything is ok but it's all still a bit tender and I have a bit of abdominal pain. I am still a bit freaked out about going back to the gym. A bit disappointed I don't feel 100 percent quite yet.

Comment from: TJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I had the traditional bi-lateral vasectomy over a year ago. The scrotum area was numbed up prior to surgery but even so when the vas deferens was cut on both sides I could feel a dull ache. It was kind of scary when on the table having it done all I could think of was the permanency of what I was having done. I had a quick recovery after resting for one day, as the next day I was back at work at construction. We have two children and did not want any more. Vasectomy was the best choice we made and we have not looked back with any regrets.

Comment from: InControl, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I had my vasectomy about a week ago. No scalpel. One hole, and titanium clips on both severed ends. I had pain after surgery, felt good to be in bed (and not moving, as legs knock testicles and the weight of them also hurts). Pain was most intense on day 3, and I could also see some bruising at the top of the scrotum and along the very bottom. I took it easy, used Polysporin and followed the doctor's directions religiously. Every day after the third day, it's gotten better and better in terms of pain and ease of walking. I can't run or exercise yet, but good gentle care and patience seem to be winning this recovery.

Comment from: worried wife, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

Please get all the information available before you go ahead with the vasectomy procedure. I wish my husband never had it done. In August it has almost been a year and he is in constant pain. We think he is suffering from post-vasectomy pain syndrome. And now with our wonderful medical plan we have in Canada we have been waiting for six months to see a urologist. I wish I would have had my tubes tied but my husband opted for this procedure given advice from friends and family that it wasn't a big deal. The figures range from 10 to 30 percent who suffer from this condition, and guess what! There is no cure, and no research. Do not get it done!

Comment from: manc, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had my vasectomy 3 and a half hours ago and was glad I did. I panicked just before the operation but once I went in felt no pain at all. A slight sharp pain of the skin and then nothing at all. I sat on my bed now with no pain apart from these tight underpants squeezing them together, it is nothing at all.

Comment from: drswift, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I had my vasectomy done three days ago. The procedure went fine. I was quite anxious when the needle for the local anesthetic came out (clenched my eyes, crossed my legs, etc.) - but I didn't need to be. When I got home I was bracing myself all day for when the local wore off, but again, didn't need to be worried. I have had paracetamol a few times during my recovery but it was never necessary. I went to work the day after the procedure. I am a school teacher. It was fine. Bruising is very minimal.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I had a vasectomy and had many problems. I felt like I was experiencing a male sort of menopause, hot flashes, irritability, and testicle pain. I eventually went in and had it reversed and the symptoms disappeared. Don't let anyone tell you this procedure is nothing. Do so with eyes open.

Comment from: snippy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I got vasectomy done on June 19th in about 20 minutes. My left testicle got sore during the procedure but I believe it was the vas deferens being tugged out. The soreness went away in a couple days but other than that it was fairly painless and not a big deal at all. The valium helps to take away the anxiety before the procedure and I walked out of there like normal.

Comment from: jfrom la, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

After vasectomy, I had very little soreness. I took the pain medicine as soon as I got home as the doctor said. And I also kept my butt in my recliner for the next two days, applying the ice pack several times a day. The only real pain I had was from the stitches, but it is still minor. There was a very small amount of soreness in the left testicle after I stopped wearing the jock strap. But it has gone away. It has been nine days since my procedure and I have had intercourse twice with no problems. Good luck guys, and make sure you follow the doctor's orders.

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I had my vasectomy done on 12th May (just under two weeks ago). The wound on the right side started showing signs of infection after day 3. The doctor prescribed antibiotics which did not work. The wound got bigger. Picture the back end of a pencil being pushed done on your flesh, about 2 mm deep. That describes the wound"s appearance. The doctor prescribed a second bout of antibiotics yesterday. I've been doing the sea salt baths as well, and using a topical cream. No improvement yet, and this round of antibiotics ends tomorrow. So concerned.

Comment from: Luke, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I had my vasectomy 2 weeks ago and I'm still in pain. The doctor says I have a hematoma which is causing the pain. My testicles hurt and my upper groin area hurts too. The pain is unthinkable at times, I wish I never had this done. They are now going all sorts of colors, hopefully after my course of antibiotics it will be sorted out.

Comment from: Pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

Just back from the vasectomy operation, it went well but more anesthetic had to be inserted for the left one as I felt a deep throbbing pain. I've been home now for 4 hours and feeling pain in the left testicle as anesthetic is wearing off. All in all, the procedure is a simple one with little blood and minimal external stitching. Only time will tell on future. Samples to be given at 4 month and 5 month period to ensure sterilization.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a very uneventful vasectomy, it took about 15 minutes, in the doctor's office and took about 3 days for the swelling to go down. This was in 1976 after my third child was born and I knew we didn't want another. I only had one problem, after a couple years I had a reoccurring pain in my lower left side, the doctor said it was an infection in a tube from my testes and an antibiotic cleared it right up.

Comment from: Limpy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my vasectomy in 1998. For me I noticed immediately a loss of the sex dreams I had every night since I was a young teen. When I tried to have sex about a week later I found I was unable to get a proper erection. A month later, no change. Now 15 years later I still can't get a proper erection if I get any at all. At first the doctors said it's just age. I was 38. Then they insisted there was nothing wrong and it was all in my head. Most recently a doctor said that erectile dysfunction (ED) is indeed a possible side effect though rare. Had I known there was even a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting ED I'd have never done the vasectomy.

Comment from: Marty H, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I had my Vasectomy in 2006 and have had absolutely no issues since. The procedure was relatively painless. I had only minimal bruising. It did not stop any of my activities, except for the first 24 hours. Recovery was a breeze, probably due to the fact that I am not a desk jockey. I'm physically active all day, every day. The best benefit has been the elimination of the stress of an unplanned pregnancy, and increased spontaneity.

Comment from: jnic, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 2 months out from surgery and am having PVPS. It is fortunate for those who don't have issues; I am having fevers and pain. I have been back to the Doc three times. Once for antibiotics and ibuprofen. Regardless of situation research needs to be done. For me I feel nothing but regret depression (I can no longer work out, run, bike or swim). I am looking into reversal immediately because immune response has been bad. Fevers everyday almost and dull aching balls. Every once in a while it feels like a needle is being pressed into my testes. Good luck those with pain.

Comment from: David, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

Beware of post vasectomy pain syndrome that my Urologist now tells me affects 5-10% of men. (I'm pretty sure I was told 1-2% when I was consented for the operation.) Daily dull aching balls with added occasional sharp pain and always needing guarding, not great!

Comment from: Norm Orkids, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

My Vasectomy was a piece of cake. I was as nervous as anyone about it, but afterwards all the people who said it is no big deal were the ones that were right. The worst part of the whole thing was thinking about it for a month after I made the appointment. It really was no worse than getting a filling at the dentist. I had no pain to speak of afterwards, and no swelling. The day after I laid around and I iced it all day. My doctor came in and got down to business, he was finished in about the same amount of time as getting a haircut or oil change.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had my vasectomy in 2010. I had the newer of the two procedures mentioned in this article with slight difference. The no stitch incision was made and the dissection was made along with cauterization of one end and a cap placed on the other. The procedure took maybe fifteen minutes from start to finish. I felt no pain after the procedure at all.

Comment from: ty, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

My vasectomy was horrible they nicked a feeder vein which caused me a trip by ambulance back to the hospital in alot of pain. My testicles went to the size of grape fruit if not bigger. They said this happens to one in 10,000 men I guess I was the unlucky one 2 weeks to a month of recovery. Kind of sucks. This is day four of recovery and I can't do a thing.

Comment from: William Baker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

It may work for many but this operation can be a big deal for many. I thought I was a brave enough man. The pain killer failed and it was the most painful. Post pain was hell for the first 9 months and my balls have continued to ache to this day! I think the operation put me into shock for a very long time and I lost virtually all interest in sex for the first year. My self esteem and interest in sex never fully recovered. I thought I would not be affected by such things.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter