Related Disease Conditions
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints, as well as other organs in the body. Early RA signs and symptoms include anemia, both sides of the body affected (symmetric), depression, fatigue, fever, joint deformity, joint pain, joint redness, joint stiffness, joint swelling, joint tenderness, joint warmth, limping, loss of joint function, loss of joint range of motion, and polyarthritis.
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also known as degenerative arthritis, osteoarthritis can be caused by aging, heredity, and injury from trauma or disease.
Arthritis (Joint Inflammation)
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness and pain. There are over 100 types of arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, lupus, gout, and pseudogout.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Drugs: Buying Prescription Drugs Online Safely
- Drugs: The Most Common Medication Errors
- Medication Disposal
- Dangers of Mixing Medications
- How To Reduce Your Medication Costs
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Indications for Drugs: Approved vs. Non-approved
- Cox-2 Inhibitors Dilemma: What Patients Should Do
- The Cox-2 Inhibitors Controversy: Q&A with Dr. Shiel
- Cox-2 Inhibitors, What's Next? - Expert Panel Votes
- Generic Drugs, Are They as Good as Brand-Names?
Medications & Supplements
- Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Drug Interactions
- celecoxib (Celebrex)
- indomethacin, Indocin, Indocin-SR (Discontinued Brand in U.S.)
- piroxicam, Feldene
- diclofenac and misoprostol (Arthrotec)
- flurbiprofen (Ansaid)
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- sulindac (Clinoril)
- salsalate, Amigesic, Salflex, Argesic-SA, Marthritic, Salsitab, Artha-G
- oxaprozin (Daypro)
- tolmetin (Tolectin [Discontinued Brand])
- Side Effects of Bextra (valdecoxib)
- fenoprofen (Nalfon)
Prevention & Wellness
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Reference: FDA Prescribing Information