Patient Comments: Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Medications

What medications or other medical treatments have helped your vaginal pain (vulvodynia)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: malibu, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 18

I was walking up some steps and felt a popping feeling and so much pain at the back of my knee. This was 1st March and I am still in a great deal of pain. I was only told I had hamstring injury 8 weeks ago so was left without help for the first 6 weeks. I never had thigh pain, just pain in the knee area and below. I have since had what I could describe as like a tearing feeling in muscles below my knee area in the calf. I have been on crutches since I have done it. I also have been doing my exercises given to me via physiotherapist but I am still not 100 percent sure it is a hamstring injury. I am very frustrated and still in pain. I also have general wear and tear of the knee. I have been off work since I have done this and can't see it getting any better.

Comment from: feeling better, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I spent a year freaking out that I had vulvodynia. I worked this summer at a facility that had a safety newsletter and it told me that when your body does not have enough electrolytes it causes your blood's pH to be off. I boosted my electrolytes and drank a Gatorade a day and my issues went away! Drink those electrolytes girls! Don't suffer needlessly through rounds of antibiotics. At least try it and see if it helps you!

Comment from: ZANDRA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

Coenzyme Q10 cured my vulvodynia although I was taking it for something else. It cleared up in 3 months of 300 mg spread across the day. I had tried everything else and given up hope of ever finding a cure. It also cured my hot flushes after 15 years of suffering!

Comment from: Pam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have had vulvodynia for many years. Try a low oxalate diet by staying away from foods/drinks like black tea, coffee, oatmeal, spinach, tomatoes. The diet plus 20 mg of desipramine has helped me a lot.

Comment from: kestrel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I don't think anyone has suggested amitriptyline. This antidepressant can be prescribed in low doses for vulvodynia and other pain. The 10 mg I take each evening has alleviate my vulvodynia pain. Higher dosages can also be prescribed but as this medication can make you feel drowsy I will stick to the 10mg dose for now.

Comment from: 18 Months of Pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have had vaginal pain since October 2013. Boom, there it was. I checked the urine, no blood you can see but it showed on the multi strip. They gave me antibiotics, pelvic ultrasound, took two polyps out (I don't think that was the problem). When I urinate the sides burn. I have been reading about this vulvodynia. I need relief, but more I need to know why. I will try the primrose, wherever I can buy it. I have been to primary care physician, urologist and obstetrician and gynecologist. No one can help me.

Comment from: Bluefish, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

In researching treatment options for a different medical problem causing chronic pain (erythromelalgia), I've been trying to determine whether topical gabapentin (Neurontin, topical) might be effective. There's not much data on it, but it seems that there have been some encouraging results (from published studies) using topical gabapentin for vulvodynia. So, just wanted to leave a brief note in this forum as a heads-up in case this is an unexplored possibility.

Comment from: Cravitts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I suffered through the burning pain after a hysterectomy, and couldn"t sit on hard surfaces without wanting to scream. Finally after a few visits to an obstetrician/gynecologist, she diagnosed vulvodynia and prescribed amitriptyline. My dosage is 75mg, 50mg helped most of the time but still had painful flare-ups.

Comment from: Fedup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have nerve damage (vulvodynia). I was prescribed Lyrica, which is marvelous, but sometimes it"s still flares up, and also affects my mouth. I use fungal lozenges to soothe my mouth. I"m also on antidepressants, which helps. It all started the same time, it started with a burning mouth, which affected my teeth also. I have had all tests done to see what was wrong with me, no one could diagnose me, so I got a referral to a dermatologist gynecologist. I was treated by some doctors who thought it was in my mind; I hardly think so, it is very painful.

Comment from: Marly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I don"t know if each case is different but I"ve had this vulvodynia for 2 years and tried everything. A new doctor told me to take 2 to 3 sit baths a day and wear loose clothing when I can (dry and clean is the goal). It"s been a week and I am getting better! He said 3 to 6 months but I"m feeling like it will resolve sooner.

Comment from: newchickiepie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

A month ago I got a stabbing, piercing, unbelievable pain in the left lip of the vaginal area. It lasted a second or so and went through a cycle that lasted about two minutes. Nothing else happened until last Saturday. It came and went for hours. I was frantic. It went away. Today, I woke up with a dull aching pain in the area. It seems swollen. I called my OB/GYN and made an appointment. After reading other's comments, I think I may have vulvodynia. I will get the primrose oil and ask for the Neurontin with 5% lidocaine gel. I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago and am 65 years old. I hope it goes away, as I am a teacher and it is like getting stabbed with a pencil through the eye (not by a student, hopefully). I shudder to think what the students think when my face contorts. Yuck. Good luck everyone out there. Keep checking the posts – there is help.

Comment from: dulcie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I suffered from this for over 18 years. The onset was sporadic and localized in the vulva area, but with a constant, nerve racking throbbing. I have questioned at least 4 or 5 doctors; their response was disbelief: seek psychiatric counseling: or a treatment for incontinence. The last response was from a doctor that couldn't admit he had no idea what was causing my misery: I didn't fill the prescription for my 'overactive' bladder. Seven years. ago I was prescribed pain medication for surgery and tried it when the horrible throbbing began weeks later. It worked and continues to put an abrupt end to an onset of this miserable issue. I hope and pray this will help someone.

Comment from: Rachna, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 04

I am 23 year old female and having huge pain during intercourse. I have had consultation with local doctor who suggested some good water based lubricant, but no relief.

Comment from: ojala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have have this pain for about 2 years and have been to two gynecologists, primary MD and urologist. I have had a biopsy, an MRI study, ultra sound and have tried different hormonal creams and Vagifem. To no avail, they could not figure this problem out. I bought the Primrose oil today and will try it. Thank you for your stories. Wish me luck!

Comment from: Pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had this burning pain for 4 months. They gave me lidocaine which only made me feel worst .. I freeze a rag in sit it there but that only helps for a little while . I feel like I'm losing my mind I have no life.

Comment from: motheroftwo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with vulvodynia in 2010, and was prescribed Gabopentin cream. My symptoms subsided with maybe 1 or 2 episodes from 2010 to 2013. I have been experiencing pain starting June 2013 and July 2013. Does anybody have advice for relief? The doctors don't seem to know what vulvodynia is. This time I have fatigue, chills, and if I exercise, this causes it to flare up.

Published: May 06

I am surprised nobody has mentioned lichens sclerosis as a diagnosis for vaginal pain. My OB-GYN is the one who found it after I had visited many doctors. It looks like white/grey skin on the vulva, is painful, and itches like crazy. The only med known to help is Clobetasol cream and they want you use a vaginal hormone cream, which I do not do. The Clobetasol sometimes helps, but you can't use it too often, so I am in pain more of the time than not. I will try the primrose oil. Anything to take this pain away.

Comment from: lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Since entering menopause 8 years ago, I have suffered excruciating pain with intercourse and some pain during bathing etc. in my vulvar area. No lubricants or vaginal hormones helped and I had resigned myself to just living with this and no longer having a sex life until I read about evening primrose oil. I was a skeptic, but started applying the oil from two tablets to my vulvar area each evening. Within a week my symptoms lessened and after a month I am once again, I am having sex pain free. I feel like I have gotten my life and marriage back.

Comment from: trhlls, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have been suffering from vulvodynia for more than 8 years and finally went and saw a gynecologist who specializes in vaginal problems such as vulvodynia. He prescribed Neurontin, in a cream form, along with a 5 percent Lidocaine gel. The pain continued to decrease and after a couple of months was gone.

Comment from: ShellyR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

This is how I feel but can't get diagnosed. For years I've been in extreme pain and unable to be with my husband intimately. I cry in pain. I've gone to at least 4 or 5 gynos. I have PCOS and endometriosis but they act as if there's nothing really wrong.

Comment from: Nomorepain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I opened and applied 2 capsules of 1000 mg of evening primrose oil to my vaginal area and into my vagina before sex. I was amazed to have no pain at all and no burning at all for the first time in more than 15 years. I am only 48 but have been suffering with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with Vulvodynia as an extra burden for more than 15 years. My poor husband wouldn't touch me any more for fear of hurting me. I have tried every kind of lubricating lotion, oil, crème including synthetic and natural ones like coconut to no avail.

Comment from: stillinpain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

What kind of evening primerose can I use. Is the 1000 mg the dosage per evening. Can you take it orally in addition to applying it to the vagina.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter