Vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy occurs in women during perimenopause, menopause, and postmenopause. With vaginal atrophy, the lining of the vaginal wall becomes thinner, drier, less elastic, and light pink to bluish in color. Symptoms of vaginal atrophy include:Read more: Vaginal Dryness Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Yeast Infection (in Women and Men)
Vaginal yeast infections in women are caused by an organism called Candida albicans. Symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection...
Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition with signs and symptoms of vaginal discharge, vaginal odor,...
Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis) usually is caused from bacteria that have spread from the bladder from a UTI (urinary tract...
Vulvodynia (Vaginal Pain)
Vulvodynia or vaginal pain, genital pain is a condition in which women have chronic vulvar pain with no known cause. There are...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
Night Sweats (Causes, Remedies, and Treatments in Women and Men)
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Urinary Tract Infections in Children
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are very common in children. Symptoms and signs include fever and abdominal pain. Associated...
Perimenopause (Symptoms, Signs, Remedies, and Treatments)
Perimenopause is the time in a woman's life when she is approaching menopause. During this time a woman starts to develop...
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes is a disease where your body does not make enough insulin or does not use insulin correctly, and you blood sugar...
There are many types of urinary incontinence (UI), which is the accidental leakage of urine. These types include stress...
Sex and Menopause (What to Expect)
Menopause is often associated with a change in sexual functioning. Loss of estrogen, bladder control issues, anxiety, stress,...
Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)
Graft versus host disease (GVHD) is a condition that happens when immune cells from transplanted donor tissue attack the...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Vaginal Dryness - Causes
If known, what was the cause of your vaginal dryness or atrophy?Post View 10 Comments
Vaginal Dryness - Symptoms
Discuss the other symptoms associated with your vaginal dryness or vaginal atrophy.Post View 6 Comments
Vaginal Dryness - Treatment
What kinds of treatment have you tried for your vaginal dryness or atrophy?Post View 6 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- estradiol, Alora, Climara, Delestrogen, Depo-Estradiol, Divigel, Elestrin, Estrace, and Others
- estrogens cream - vaginal
- Evista (raloxifene)
- conjugated estrogens vaginal cream, Premarin Vaginal Cream
- estrogens conjugated, Premarin
- estrogen/progestin - oral, Activella, Femhrt, Ortho-Prefe
- vitexagnus castus (Chaste Tree, Chaste Berry, Vitex, Monk's Pepper, Agnus Castus, Gattlier, Indian)
- esterified estrogens and methyltestosterone, Estratest, Estratest HS
- conjugated equine estrogens and medroxyprogesterone acetate, Prempro, Premphase
- flibanserin (Addyi)
- estrogens (synthetic)-vaginal cream
- estrogens conjugated synthetic, Cenestin
- esterified estrogens, Estratab (discontinued); Menest
- Conjugated Estrogens (Cenestin, Enjuvia, Estrace, and Others)
Prevention & Wellness
- Many Women Mistaken on 'Side Effects' of Breast Cancer Drug
- Beating Breast Cancer But Still Paying a Price
- Menopause and a Decline in Intimacy
- For Many Women, Sex Gets Better at Midlife
- Estrogen for Vaginal Symptoms OK for Breast Cancer Survivors: Experts
- Suppository Eases Vaginal Dryness in Small Study
- Breast Cancer Drug Aromasin May Be Option for Some Premenopausal Women
- Experts Lay Out Options for Menopause Symptoms
- Hormone Therapy May Work Only for Women With Hot Flashes
- Women at High Breast Cancer Risk Should Consider Preventive Drugs: Experts
- Menopause-Like Woes Hinder Breast Cancer Treatment: Study
- Hormones May Not Raise Alzheimer's Risks
- Panel Advises Against Hormones to Prevent Disease
- New Guidelines to Help Breast Cancer Survivors
- Older Women Say They Want More Sex, Not Less
- Size Counts When It Comes to Sex
- Sex Not on Most New Moms' Minds
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter