Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lumpy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 37 and have had multiple fibroids for years. I used to have heavy long periods but then my doctor switched me to a progesterone birth control pilled called Micronor and my periods are the best they have ever been. The fibroids have continued to grow and the largest one is now over 11 cm and causing pain from pressure. I am on a wait list to see a specialist and will probably have to have a hysterectomy because I cannot take very many medicines due to having had a brain aneurysm a few years back.

Comment from: Bec, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I'm 45 years old have no bleeding, prior I had mainly large clots and no blood. Doctors finally found I have uterine fibroids yet told me there is no pain associated with them. But I'm suffering fatigue, groin pain a lot like labor, back aches, leg aches, and chewing Panadeine Forte like lollies so not good. I am bloated like I'm 9 months pregnant. Please seek a second opinion and realize you are not alone and yes, fibroids can cause pain. I'm awaiting my next appointment on Friday week. I'll be sure to tell you what happens next. You know your body and what's right and wrong, so please don't suffer like I have for over 12 months, get it checked out. Best wishes to all those who are suffering from this and hopefully you all have a speedy recovery.

Comment from: Rita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am working with a cat rescue, and fostering cats leaves me in constant contact with cats. I went to the doctor the first time I got this rash and she verified my diagnosis, cat scratch fever. Not much to do except to use calamine and let it run its course. It lasts a month to 6 weeks and forms half-circle pustules all over my body. It itches something terrible. And then it is over. And the cat is over it in about the same time. But this is my second time, so much for building up resistance.

Comment from: Maxie, 45-54 Published: November 17

With Epstein-Barr virus infection I do not run a fever, just freeze and my whole body aches including my fingers. I am certainly not hungry. No sore throat; just severe aches and lethargy.

Comment from: motownkid68, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

My father at 74 suffered from trigeminal neuralgia and it had been going on for at least the last two years. Well, today (10-14-2015) he had surgery. I am so happy to say that he now is feeling 100 percent better; really, as he found a doctor that specializes in this procedure, and he's satisfied with the results. He is not so happy about them shaving his head on the left side and going in behind the ear with a 4 inch stitch but he is fixed.

Comment from: HI, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid a decade ago. I still have it, and have heavy bleeding issues. Thinking what to do, it's a big one. I'm 44.

Comment from: Chrissy H., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

All who suffer from uterine fibroids, be encouraged. I too have a fibroid problem. I have three growths. I do not have a period anymore. However, I gained about 35 pounds. I am not hungry; maybe once a day. I can eat but watch out if I eat anything with heavy calories when I am not really hungry. I eat light to take vitamin D and a multivitamin in the morning. I try to eat healthy and have for years. I even work out 2 to 3 times a week; despite my lowered energy levels, not to mention the charley horse pains in my legs. This only happened when I was expecting my girls. My doctor thinks I am diabetic.

Comment from: Sara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I am 24 years old and I was diagnosed with breast fibroid in my left breast. The doctor said that fibroids could develop in my uterus as well and I've been feeling cramps in my lower belly in the few past days after period. I'm not pregnant and I don't have children.

Comment from: JOHNSON, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 47 years old female, diagnosed with several fibroids. I have irregular periods, pain and bloating of stomach, I am so miserable at times, can't sleep because of feeling bloated, shortness of breath and leg and back pain. I was scheduled for a myomectomy about a year ago, potassium level was too low to go to surgery. I am in the process of finding a doctor to go on and get surgery. I just want my life back, tired of feeling this way!

Comment from: Tiredoflookingpreg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I am a 44 year old female and have fibroids. I do not bleed heavy or cramp during that time of the month. The only problem I have is frequent urination and a protruding stomach (looks to be about 6 months pregnant). I am wondering, at my age, should I just have the fibroids removed or should I have a full hysterectomy. Whatever the case, I would love to look myself again, as I am a very petite woman.

Comment from: Kentuckymoonlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I am a 52 year old woman with recently diagnosed uterine fibroids. I was told I have several. I have been bleeding for almost 4 months, constantly. There are times when the bleeding decreases but the other times when it is effusive and I can't do anything physical for fear of having an 'accident'. I'm so frustrated, the pain is horrible sometimes akin to a miscarriage. I feel dirty no matter how often I shower, I feel like I smell, even if I don't. I told my doctor about the pain and asked for something, anything to lessen the pain, and suggestions for decreasing the blood. It seems the only solution is a hysterectomy. I'm scheduled in three weeks and cannot wait to be free of the pain and embarrassment caused by something beyond my control. To those of you in serious pain like I am, you're not alone and it does happen with this condition.

Comment from: s saxena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have painful menses since starting. At the age of 21 or 22 I felt sharp pain in right side lower abdomen just after periods. My friend and I thought it may be related to ovulation. But it was continuous every period. I had started something moving in my right lower abdomen and sometime passing air (bubbling) in my abdominal cavity. At the age of 39, I went to general physician, she asked me to get USG (ultrasonography) done, and then 2 small intramural fibroids were found. She said it's ok. On November 14 I had started heavy bleeding with clots. Then I visited a gynecologist and she suggested me for USG and TSH. The fibroids had doubled in their size. It's going to be near about 7 months and I'm on tablet Primolut N (15 days), tablet Trenaxa and tablet Meftal Spas. I bleed badly during my periods. Now my doctor has suggested me to go for laparoscopic myomectomy. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: sgordon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 34 years old, and about 4 months ago started experiencing longer and heavier periods. As the days would go by I started having very large blood clots and my periods would last a little over two weeks, maybe even 3. I noticed some extreme weight loss that prompted me to go to the doctor. My blood work came back and my hemoglobin was at a 3.49. I can't explain all the effects but shortness of breath, pressure on my bladder and dizziness were a few among them. I had a biopsy done to rule out cancer, and I am still waiting on the results. My uterine fibroid is 8 cm and I have to have surgery to have it removed. A little scared, yes I am. This was a close call and I am glad I caught it when I did.

Comment from: Discovery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I'm 45 years old and about 6 to 7 years back, during a routine physical, a nurse practitioner discovered I had uterine fibroids. I then had an ultrasound done and it was confirmed. I was then told that I needed a hysterectomy. I refused. I got a second opinion who said surgery could be done without a hysterectomy. I had the surgery and all went well. During the middle of this year (2014) I noticed that I was getting heavy bleeding again (including blood clots), but I also noticed that they came during the same time that I drank enormous amounts of soda and caffeine products (like ice tea, etc.); so I decided to do a science experiment on myself. For a whole month I would deliberately drink sodas to see what would happen during my next menstrual cycle and then the following month I wouldn't touch any caffeine products at all. Oh my goodness! The caffeine was contributing towards my fibroid growth. During the month of no caffeine, no large blood clots. No excruciating pain. I'm now about to have surgery to get some fibroids removed. Afterwards, I'm going to keep watch on my menstrual cycles for the entire year (no caffeine of course). I'll keep you all updated. Please also try the science experiment for yourself and share your results with the rest of us. I was wondering if different body types, race, or culture made a difference. I'm an African American female with 2 children, no abortions, 16 years of no sex (celibate life), overall good health, and no family history of fibroids. I hope that this information can be a help to you all.

Comment from: Nana B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am going through menopause and take a natural troche of progesterone/triest 100/2.5 for hot flashes. I have not had a cycle in 7 years. I started spotting last May for 3 to 4 days, and then again in June. This continued every month with the spotting getting a little more. Then this year in April I just continued spotting with a few clots. About the 40th day I started heavy bleeding and clotting and this lasted 3 days. I had a pelvic ultra sound and found I had uterine fibroids and the doctor took me off my troches. I haven't spotted in a week but my hot flashes are increasing daily. My doctor wants another ultra sound in 6 months, but I sure don't want to go 6 months without something for my hot flashes! I had some abdominal cramping when I was bleeding, none right now.

Comment from: momoffour, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was diagnosed a year ago with adenomyosis which caused similar symptoms. I had an endometrial ablation done years ago so I haven"t had a period since. Prior to the diagnosis of adenomyosis I had severe back pain around to my hips and down both thighs, pressure on my bowels and increased urine leaking. It was so bad I would lie in bed and cry. My gynecologist had me try the NuvaRing which did help but gave me horrible vaginal drainage constantly. I ended up in the emergency room recently with such severe abdominal pain that I couldn"t stand up. They diagnosed me with fibroids and I will see a new gynecologist this week. I am 47, have 4 (one step) beautiful kids and am considering having my uterus removed.

Comment from: scarygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was just diagnosed with a fibroid that is 9 cm, the doctor said that it is like I am 4 month pregnant. He said that it is the size of a new born baby"s head. He said that I have to have a hysterectomy but I am very scared to do this. I am trying to hold off as long as I can. The pain is not that bad and is only during that time of the month. The bleeding is very bad during the second day. I leave work because the bleeding is very heavy with clots the size of a chicken breast. I know that I have to have the surgery soon. I am so mad because I have my routine checkup every year and this was never caught, I can"t believe that the doctor did not see this, I mean this fibroid is way too big.

Comment from: Alma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am 25 years of age. I went to the gynecologist who told me I have a huge mass that's bigger than my uterus. I'm not sure what kind of treatment we are going for since I just learned about it yesterday. I have pain/pressure on my right ovary when I have intercourse, lift heavy stuff, before and after my period, and when my bladder is full.

Comment from: leah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I'm 42 years old, diagnosed with fibroids 5 years ago but it never really bothered me. I had the uterine embolization a year ago, I decided to get it done because the fibroids grew a lot. Everything went well, however, I need to undergo hysterectomy because it's growing again and I cannot sleep well due to dull pain on my lower back and cramps. I am diabetic and according to my gynecologist the fibroids are really low and really close to my ureter. A urologist will be in the operating room to make sure everything will be ok. It will be an abdominal partial hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries and cervix intact. The robotic procedure will not be advisable because of the large fibroid size. I need to get my diabetes under control before I get the surgery. Hoping for the best and looking forward to a cramp free and good night's sleep.

Comment from: LuAnn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 51 years old and have been dealing with 5 fibroids for the past several years. My doctor has performed a D&C to try and control my heavy bleeding, clotting and cramping. When that was unsuccessful, he started me on Depo Provera shots that were effective at first, but I"m 2 weeks before my third scheduled shot and I am back to bleeding heavily, etc. My next step is a hysterectomy and I am so ready for this. No one needs to live like this. I am past the child bearing age and all I want is menopause to finally kick in so these fibroids go away once and for all.

Comment from: MrsQDragon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am 41 years old and have never had children, would like to have the chance but wondering if I ever will now. I have had fibroids for about 10 or more years, when they were first diagnosed, I was given an IUS (intrauterine system) and told to hurry and have my family, as the only way they would treat them was by hysterectomy - at the time I was getting pain and heavy bleeding. It all calmed and as the IUS never made a difference to the fibroids which were 3-4cm in size, they removed the IUS and I tolerated symptoms. Over the last 18 months I started getting more pain including in my low back, heavier bleeding and then flooding. I asked to see another specialist who found that one fibroid was about 5cm size and the other about 12cm. He referred me for a UFE (uterine fibroid embolization). I am now 12 weeks post procedure, I have bled once since about 3 weeks ago and had several days of constant flooding then a few days of really heavy bleeding. I"m waiting to see what happens next but worried that I"m still getting a lot of pain and still feeling exhausted all the time. I was off of work for 3 months at the end of last year whilst waiting for the procedure and then getting over it and since the start of January have been on reduced hours. I also get severe lows in my mood as I move through my cycle, am being treated for depression and anxiety (possibly made worse by this condition) and am on iron supplements as I was found to have low iron stores heading toward anemia. I attended for my 3 month MRI scan earlier this week and am awaiting results and advice on what is happening. I don"t know if this is right to still be feeling so exhausted - I want to be back to the normal me.

Comment from: Worried, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 35 years old female and I have no kids. This is my second time around having fibroids. I had surgery in 2009 to remove them and then again got confirmation in 2013 that they had grown back. My symptoms have been nausea after eating, numbness in my right leg, bloated stomach and excessive urination. This whole ordeal is scary because I have never been pregnant and I don't know if I can have any babies.

Comment from: bus driver, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am a 42 year old female who has been diagnosed with seven fibroids. I am constantly in severe pain since three months now. I tried birth control pills which made it worse and now the doctor wants to try IUD. I am missing work and daily activities due to severe rectum, right side pelvis pain. My next doctor appointment, I am requesting a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Coco Cola, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am a 43 year old woman just diagnosed with 5 fibroids. I have zero symptoms, they were discovered during my yearly Pap smear via ultrasound. I've been trying to get pregnant for the past 15 to 18 months, I'm now wondering if this has been the issue.

Comment from: doris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am 93 years old with Meigs syndrome (the triad of benign ovarian tumor with ascites and pleural effusion) diagnosed year and a half ago. I did not choose surgery, had paracentesis and thoracentesis, but not since February 2016. I am living alone with questions as to what kind of prognosis. Doctors seem to dismiss me, I don't know what is next.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 45 year old mother of four. I had my first period at 9. I began having large clots (quarter sized) and heavy periods around 40 years of age. I thought that I may be starting menopause but was tested and hormones were good. Then I started having very cold calf on my left leg. After about a year I mentioned it to my obstetrician/gynecologist, because it felt like pinched nerve. I have been told since 2003 that my uterus is enlarged. Now I rarely have clots, but have a lot of days where I have spotting. Just panty liner and annoying! I do exercise and eat a strict diet, yet I have gained 15 lb. in 2 years. My periods last 9 to 11 days and are heavy for about 4 of those days. Recently, I ache in my lower left back and involuntarily urinate often. Even in my sleep once! Two weeks ago they did ultrasound and found the cyst. They did not tell me the size. She put me on birth control to regulate. I have never been able to take birth control, but I am tired of bleeding, so I am sticking it out for a month. Since the pills, I ache more and still spot especially after exercise and sex.

Comment from: Sandy, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My 80 year old mother, who has dementia, has been diagnosed with fibroids. My mother almost never had annual Pap smears. The obstetrician/gynecologist stated that they have probably been there for almost 40 years without her knowing. She would not allow him to examine her so that he can determine what procedure is required, however; more than likely a hysterectomy is needed because she"s having some cramping and spotting. Her regular doctor doesn"t believe her body is strong enough to withstand that type of surgery. So when she cramps at times, I give her Aleve to relieve the pain. I feel helpless to see her this way being able to do nothing.

Comment from: Lost 42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 42 years old, I was just diagnosed with uterine fibroids. My symptoms were missed periods in between, and severe abdominal pain; my abdomen was so distended it hurt so bad just to move. The emergency room doctor said I have 1 12.3 centimeter, 1 4.5 centimeter 2 other fibroids and a bunch of multiple little ones. I was told a hysterectomy was needed as well. A friend mentioned that they can even just go in and remove the fibroids and not the uterus.

Comment from: denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

From the month of May I have had abnormal bleeding, two weeks at a time, it's very scary. Symptoms I am having are cramping, clotting and bleeding. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids years ago... but never had this problem.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 25 years and married 6 months ago and was diagnosed with fibroid on the posterior side of my uterus, which is 6 cm. And my hemoglobin decreases every time I get my periods as it goes for 7 days with heavy bleeding for 5 days. I am still not conceived and want to.

Comment from: Jfromthed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 42 year old African American woman who had a myomectomy in 2009 where 20 fibroids were removed. My periods went from super heavy seven days a week, every 15 days to 1 medium and 5 light days every 21 days. I suffered from anemia and had to have a blood transfusion. Unfortunately, fibroids have returned and my doctor and I are discussing whether or not to have a hysterectomy. A difficult decision as I have no children.

Comment from: T.W.1079, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was told I was too young to be going through what I'm going through. I have uterine fibroids, and I'm 34 years old. My tubes are tied so I can't have any more children. I have my period every two weeks, and I'm anemic. I'm constantly in pain and it's taking over my life. So I'm getting surgery done on December 20, 2013 to get my life back.

Comment from: Bodyaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Symptoms of my uterine fibroids include pelvic pain, whether with or without a period present, low back pain, and possible urination or rectum problems but that could be due to approaching menopause and hormonal changes. The thing I learned is make sure any pain you feel is related to your fibroids. Too often I think we tend to blame any symptom we have as fibroid related. Pain in my lower intestines (irritable bowel) is indigestion not fibroid pain.

Comment from: Elaine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am a 39 year old African American woman who has several fibroids. I have periods that last from 7-13 days. I am clotting. Recently, I had pain that lasted a whole week. The pain wouldn't go away. The pain would be in my right side, right lower back and on my right pelvic bone. During this time, my period started up again when I had finished two weeks prior. My doctor wants me to have myomectomy to remove the fibroids since I haven't had any children. I have been told that the fibroids will grow back. If I am in pain again, I will have to have my uterus taken out. I just want to be pain free.

Comment from: wizatts, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 22 year old white female and have 3 fibroids. My husband and I have been trying to conceive and I have been through 3 miscarriages. I have been urinating very frequently and always have that urge to go. Hopefully the surgery will be helpful.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I just turned 40 and am done having children. Recently at my annual pap and physical, my doctor was doing a pelvic exam and noticed that my uterus seemed enlarged. She sent me to get an ultrasound and a vaginal ultrasound and it was determined that I had at least one large fibroid. She told me not to be too worried but we will keep an eye on it and follow up with another ultrasound in 8 weeks. I don't really have any severe pain but I do bleed quite heavily and have occasional spotting in between my periods. Let's hope the New Year brings great news!!

Comment from: stormee95, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am a 37-year-old African American female who was diagnosed with uterine fibroids at age 17. At that time, I had very heavy periods that were irregular with severe cramping and large clots. At that point, I was put on birth control (BC) pills, which got my cycle regular and lightened my periods. In my early 30s, my periods got heavier and my periods started lasting longer (spotting and bleeding for two weeks a month), even on the BC. In addition, I could feel pressure on my bladder and my colon. My symptoms were getting progressively worse, so I got UFE a couple of months ago. Since then, my periods are significantly lighter and the bladder and colon pressure are not noticeable.

Comment from: texnva2, Published: March 22

I caught scabies from the barber, December of 2014. It took 9 months to lose them and I got a haircut and now I have them the second time, so you can get them from the barber, sad to say. You really need to wash your hair real good after a new haircut.

Comment from: mrs.ramesh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I'm a 40 years old woman and a mother of 13and 10 years old boys, with uterine fibroid of about 3cms. I don't have any symptoms of the fibroid.

Comment from: Spytech12001, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids three years ago. I had a myomectomy to remove the fibroid. Last year, I had spotting and painful irregular periods. I went to the doctor and learned I was pregnant. However, upon having a pregnancy exam it was determined that I had developed four fibroids, and that my baby was not alive.

Comment from: nolagirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I will be 44 this month. I have constant aching and cramping (even when I'm not on my cycle). Over the past year, my symptoms have gotten worse and worse. Last month I hemmorhaged for over a week, passing clots the size of the bottom of a water bottle, and developed severe anemia. I ended up needing a blood transfusion due to a critically low hemoglobin count. I went to a doctor for a second opinion when I wasn't getting any "real" answers from my original doctor. The new doctor found 2 uterine fibroids. Finally an answer to why I was having all the problems I was. Trying the birth control route first to see if it helps. So far (a month), I'm still in agony and JUST stopped bleeding after 31 days. I'm thinking surgery may be my best route. I can't live like this much longer.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am a 41 year old white female. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids in July 2013. I was told I have several tumors. I feel terrible. I have very irregular periods, one month 3 periods in one month the next month spotted for a couple of days then the next month I was very very heavy for about a week. I have severe cramps all the time. Nothing relieves them. I have an appt soon to discuss how to remove them.

Comment from: MSNIKKI8180, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Hello my name is Nicole. I have recently been told by a doctor that i have several fibroids on my uterus .i have been try to fight the severe pain. But today i cant take it no longer. I cramp heavily through my menstrual cycle. My stomach tighten up as if i am in delivery or something. I stay having back aches and stomach pain. I lay down thinking that it would ease my pain but nothing seems to work. I am scared to have any type of surgery. Is there anything else that i can do or take to get rid of my pains?

Comment from: jd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

Heavy bleeding on the first two days of my period, bloating that made me look like if i was pregnant having a feeling of movement in my stomach when i knew that i was not pregnant.

Comment from: MsShon75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was told that I have two uterine fibroids a little over a year ago. They were painful then, but now the pain is unbearable. I was told last year that they were the size of plums, but I feel they have may have gotten bigger. Now, with the pain, I feel intense pressure. I experience heavy bleeding and extremely painful cramps during my period. I occasionally spot in between my periods. Today, I experienced something unusual. With the pain of the fibroids, sharp pains began to shoot down my right leg. This has never happened before. I am scheduled to go back to my OB/GYN in August. What can I do until then?

Comment from: geegee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

My OB/GYN told me I have five fibroid tumors. My symptoms are severe menstrual cramps, frequent urination, severe constipation, bloating, and shortness of breath.

Comment from: krish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I was diagnosed with fibroid tumors at the age of 20. I started having pain at 19. My doctor found my tumors thru exploratory surgery. I have been on the Depo shot now for almost 10 years now and worry about the long-term side effects from the Depo shot. I want a partial hysterectomy, but the last doctor I went to would not give it to because my symptoms are unusual. I have severe pain when I am not on my period. Being on the Depo, I have no pain nor periods but before the Depo I looked forward to my period even though I had heavy bleeding and clotting. At least I didn't have the pain.

Comment from: Rose, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

During my routine medical check, two fibroids were discovered. My gyno told me that one of them was large 6.2x 6cm. I've never suffered from any symptoms but we decided to have an eye on them to make sure it wouldn't get larger. For a couple of years they stayed the same but a couple of months ago I started bleeding heavily right after the end of my last cycle so I went to the gyno and got checked. As per him the fibroids are getting bigger and I need to surgically remove it, the sooner the better. I'm hesitant to do so as I don't want to have a big scar on my stomach. I'm wondering if there is any safe herbal medicine that I can take to get rid of the fibroids without any operation.

Comment from: prettyeyes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

With my uterine fibroids, I had; painful bowels during and towards menstruation, inconsistent periods, backache, long periods, serious cramps (terribly painful), and a consistent pain in my right leg especially where the leg joins with the pelvic to the extent it could sometimes hinder movement.

Comment from: JadedAryz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I'm a 28 year old mother of two (both c-sec). I found the fibroids in June of this year from heavy bleeding and clotting. The first doctor said I had two and they were both 2cm. Then I went to a second doctor and she said I have four and they are over 3cm. But she still says I shouldn't be having severe pain or bleeding . If I do anything during the day I can guarantee pain and bleeding in the evening even though I had the Depo shot and am now on 2 to 4 birth control pills a day so I don't bleed to death! I'm also anemic and on three iron pills a day. Life is sucking right now so I'm scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy on Thanksgiving eve...

Comment from: mandy61381, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am a 31 year old woman who just recently went to the emergency room with severe pain in my lower pelvic area similar to the pain of child birth. I knew I wasn't pregnant since it's been 2 years since intercourse. I have been given Vicodin to deal with pain but hoping it will soon end. It's been 4 days now. I was told this will probably occur during each menstrual cycle.

Comment from: Airwmn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am 36 years old and have had fibroids for over a year now, even though I was only officially diagnosed with them in July. I was having my period for two weeks, every two weeks on the dot. I was put on the pill at that time and it has regulated my period. Last night, I lost sleep due to right sided abdominal pain and have recently had back aches. I have two beautiful children and do not wish to have anymore. I am now torn as to whether to have a hysterectomy to get rid of the other symptoms I am currently having.

Comment from: westoz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I am 43 years old and have had very heavy periods for about four years. Sometimes with large clots and pain. About three years ago I went to the doctor after I had a period which lasted the normal seven days, then stopped for three days, then came back for four days, stopped for three days, came back for four days. It could have just gone on and on. It got to the point where I didn't want to get out of bed because of the flood that would occur when I stood up. The doctor put me on a birth control pill which was wonderful, but she didn't do any sort of examination and left town not long after. Two days ago I was in the city and went to a doctor that I have seen a few times to get a new prescription for the pill. I asked to have a pap smear as I haven't had one for a long time. While she was examining my pelvis she discovered my uterus was the same size as that of a woman who is 16 weeks pregnant! An urgent ultrasound was ordered and it was discovered that I have several large fibroids. This would explain the heavy bleeding, the occasional stabbing pain in my abdomen, the constant feeling of being bloated, needing to go to the bathroom urgently and the back pain. I'm thinking they have been growing for around seven years. I am going back next month to discuss with the doctor what my options are.

Comment from: sunshine24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had heavy bleedings during my menstrual along with bleeding in between menses. Passed a blood clot so large that everyone thought I miscarried a baby...not to mention the fact that I always have the urge to urinate!!!!

Comment from: hillbilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My doctor found three small uterine fibroid tumors, and I'm in menopause. My periods have been irregular. I'm 56. Last month my cycle stayed on for two weeks, stopped, then started spotting again. I had a test performed for cancer, and the test came back clear, no cancer. However, I have continued to spot. It has continued for two weeks now. I am scheduled to go back for another ultrasound. I am taking my iron supplements three times a day.

Comment from: Cin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I recently found out that I have a uterine fibroid. I was bleeding so heavily with a lot of clots due to this. I lost so much blood, being anemic, that I ended up having two transfusions just to bring my hemoglobin back to 100. (It dropped to 67.) I also had a D&C to clean out my womb and minimize the bleeding. It worked. The fibroid still remains. A hysterectomy is an option to remove it, but I am so young (only 33) and would like to have another child again. (I have two already.)

Comment from: 13323, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid when I was 38. I had very heavy bleeding, and blood clots during my period. I switched from birth control pills to a Mirena IUD, and that helped a lot. I'm now 48.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female Published: July 12

I am 45 years old and was just told I have uterine fibroids. I am not sure how severe they are. The funny thing is, is that I do not have much for bleeding with them. I have had lots of cramping and that is why my doctor ordered an MRI (I had an ultrasound and nothing showed up on there). This month I had no spotting, but the cramp doubled me over in pain. That is when we got the results of the MRI. Now what to do? I do not want a hysterectomy. I sure hope I have other options. Guess we will see.

Comment from: jamaica2004, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I'm a 29 year old, African American female. I had heavy bleeding; menstrual cycle lasted 5 to 7 days. Had bad cramping, lower back pain, frequent urination and pain during intercourse. It took me some time to put the symptoms together. When the painful intercourse became an issue, I met with my OBGYN. I had 5 fibroids, one of which was in the uterine lining. I had a D & C procedure done, however the length of my cycle has increased to about 8 days, 7 of which is very heavy bleeding. Not sure if this is normal but its freaking me out. My mother and her three sisters have had hysterectomies due to fibroids. And to note, I would like to have children. I hope having this procedure done, doesn't hurt my chances of conceiving.

Comment from: tdlittle, 25-34 Female Published: October 20

I found out I had fibrosis this past summer. I soak through multiple super napkins within an hour. I thought I was miscarrying every time the pain was so intense there is so much clotting and blood. When my cycle is on I'm out of work 2-3 days bound and incapacitated with heating pad and pain medication. Surgery is my option but my husband and I are trying to conceive.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: August 17

I am 49 and have been living with fibroids for 6 years. They showed no symptoms for the first couple of years but now they're making my life miserable! I have 4 and they cause me a lot of pelvic pain and swelling and bloating. I'm a small woman and have always worked out and tried to eat healthy...Now I look like I'm 5 months pregnant! I'm sick of the pain, heavy bleeding and bloating...

Comment from: Chrissy Chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am 50 years and I have been dealing with uterine fibroids for a few years now, I dread the days when my period is near, and I am also playing the waiting game hoping menopause is around the corner, my doctor suggest surgery, but my instincts say no, so I use Trihemic because of the excessive blood lost during my period I need iron supplement. Sometimes I think this is too much to bear, but I have a bad 2 days the 2nd and 3rd and I manage the other 3 days nicely.

Published: June 02

Because of uterine fibroids, I have had heavy bleeding and blood clots for seven weeks. I am tired, anemic, and crampy. Doctor put me on birth contol 2 weeks ago, but still bleeding. I am 49.

Comment from: LoveWilson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I've 46 years and have been on my period since age 10. Starting at age 35 I began getting hot and sweating. About 13 years ago due to a miscarriage I had my tubes and left ovary removed. Since then I've been going through hell bleeding 10 days, getting hot/cold and sweating like a camel in the desert. My new Doctor has found fibroids the size of oranges so the back pain, swelling and others symptoms will be gone with surgery this month removing my Uterus, fibroids and my right ovary. Hang in there ladies.

Comment from: Veronica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am a 33 year old african american female. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids in 2009. My fibroids are located in the wall of my uterus. So far I have not had any major problems. I do suffer from tiredness, bloating, frequent urination, which seems like the main problem, my pressure on my bladder, hot and cold flashes,longer periods, sometimes pain during sex depending on position. My doctor prescribed birth control therapy and are keeping an eye on them. I am really tired of having periods, but I do not want a hysterectomy.I found out that my grandmother had fibroids in her thirties and had a hysterectomy, my aunt is 45 years old recently found out she has uterine fibroids and my mom is going through tests to find out if she has them.

Comment from: theresa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I'm 22 years old and last year I was told that I had utrine fibroids, endometroisis and enlarged arteries. It has been a year now and I have been on shots to help but the effects of the shot caused harm to my health. I have constant pain in my lower tummy and it feels like there is a heaviness that presses on my bladder, and the bottom of my tummy above the pelvic area. I'm going to a specialist to see if I am eligible for a hysterectomy.

Comment from: natalie12499, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had 7 uterine fibroids and was in severe pain including inability to rest well, severe frequent urination, anemia, heavy periods, swollen abdomen, etc. I finally went and had a hysterectomy and found out the largest of the seven was the size of a grapefruit! It was the best thing I ever did! I got my life back and the procedure was a breeze! I had an abdominal hysterectomy and it took roughly three weeks to heal well enough to return to normal activities so not too bad. Doing great now!

Comment from: junger77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have been struggling with uterine fibroids for the last 2 years. Back pain is almost unbearable at times, lower abdomal pains, constipatation, bloating, tiredness etc. My doctor ordered a colonoscopy and I went through a series of tests. It became a hardship on my marriage due to me not wanting to be intimate and tests were showing nothing. So this week I woke up to a puddle of blood and have been bleeding horribly and had my period 2 weeks ago. Went to my family doctor and she thought I had a miscarrage and ordered tests. Turned out to be uterine fribroids. On one hand I feel liberated now that I know what I am up against and on the other hand fearful of decisions I need to make at 44 yrs old. I meet with the specialist soon.

Comment from: Luna9112, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have recently been diagnosed with uterine fibroids found by ultrasound due to increasing pelvic pain before, during after menses. I have started getting my period 1-2x's per month with no rhyme or reason. Usually the pain wakes me in the middle of the night. It is so bad for the 3 days of heavy bleeding that I cannot find anything to help with the pain that allows me to get back to sleep. I am wondering if anyone has any wisdom of what to take, Aleve does not do anything, and over the counter meds don't begin to alleviate the pain.

Comment from: freeme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 35 years old and I have already done two shots of Lupron Depot due to my uterine fibroids. I am losing my hair. I am very nervous and need some reassurance from someone who has already experienced this.

Comment from: Beth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am a 42 year old white woman with two teenagers. I have had increasingly heavier periods for the last 6 or 7 years. I also pass huge blood clots and have severe pain and pressure in my rectum during my periods. I was diagnosed with anemia two years ago and there was never a reason found by my regular doctor so I assumed it was from my heavy periods. A year and a half ago, after a period, I cried for six days, I suddenly stopped having periods. I knew this was irregular but I was so relieved that I didn't worry about it. I went from excruciating, long, and heavy periods to no blood flow at all - until 6 months later when I had a period I seriously felt like I could die from. Since then, just spotting: every day; sometimes like a light period flow, sometimes just a watery bloody discharge, and a few times, clots. I have not been to my gynecologist in six years. I know this is terrible and I have made an appointment.

Comment from: hurting in kc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am a 42 year old African American woman and I've known that I had uterine fibroids for the last 3 years. Just a few months ago I started to notice a change in my periods. I have heavy bleeding but nothing to really worry about until last month, when I felt pressure on my rectum. I know the uterine fibroids have gotten bigger. My problem is now I just started a new job and the insurance has not kicked in until like July of 2012. I just pray that I can make to that time before I have a hysterectomy. My mother, sister, and several of my cousins all had a hysterectomy at a young age.

Comment from: Patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am 45 years old and my doctor wanted to use the Lupron injections for my uterine fibroids, but my instincts are that I need surgery. I have a high tolerance for pain and during and after my period I cannot bend over, my hips hurt, my sciatic nerve kills me, I cannot roll over in my sleep without crying out, I certainly cannot lay on my back, I get constipated, and walk around feeling like I am carrying a 20 pound child. My ankles are swollen and I have put on 30 pounds in the last 9 months. That's it, I have convinced myself I'm going to the doctor again!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter