Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ksteig74, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I am 42 and have had heavy bleeding on and off for 3 years. I was bleeding so much at times that I would almost pass out. And then there were the clots. Some were very big. The cramping that goes along with all that was really bad, almost brought me to tears some days. My gynecologist ordered an ultrasound and they found uterine fibroids. He decided that doing the NovaSure procedure was the best option due to a long family history of breast cancer. I had this procedure done in April and now I've had 2 periods. This procedure is supposed to lessen or stop periods. I have been spotting for 2 1/2 months now. The doctor now says that I may have an infection in my uterus. How does this happen! Now I wonder if I should have just done a hysterectomy. That would have removed the fibroids and definitely stopped the bleeding.

Comment from: Tracey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I started bleeding at 55 and was diagnosed with uterine fibroids. For two years I was bleeding more on than off. My doctor wanted to operate, but I wanted to do research. I discovered nattokinase. I ordered some from Amazon and took two in the morning and two at night. I stopped bleeding in 3 days and 3 months later I have not bled one day. For me, this was a miracle. No adverse effects at all from this.

Comment from: Vibha, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 24

My mom was suffering from menorrhagia 3 years back. Uterine fibroid was diagnosed in USG. Gynecologist suggested laparotomy. We were facing financial issues. We were in trouble. Someone told us about homoeopathy. We thought that homeopathy is nothing and it won't help us but my mom started the treatment. We went to that homoeopath. There were a lot of patients who were suffering from PCOD and uterine fibroids. We started to talk with few of them. We found all the reviews positive. And it really worked. We went for another USG after 3 months. There was no fibroid inside her uterus. Bleeding stopped just 3rd day of starting homoeopathic medicine. But mom took medicines for 6 months as it was a complete course of 6 months. We go for USG every 6 months. My mom is perfect. Homoeopathy has permanent cure for uterine fibroid. But always go for a homoeopath who is good at solving women health issues.

Comment from: Amadolark, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

At 35 I developed all the symptoms described here for uterine fibroids. I bled heavily and was not diagnosed until age 45. I was so anemic I was at risk of a stroke. It made me very light headed and often confused due to the loss of blood. I looked at all the alternatives and decided to ride it out. I started taking lots of iron and it really helped my blood loss issues. It was not pleasant waiting for menopause but well worth it. After menopause, I returned to normal. I aged better because of no hysterectomy. The tumors dissolved on their own and there is no worry of cancer like if I have them exploded. When they are lasered the tumor can spread through your body and if cancerous spread it. I know it is hard and painful, but let them take their natural course if you can.

Comment from: shannon m, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

After dealing with heavy 7 day periods my whole life I started having severe constipation about 6 years ago. Then about 4 years ago I felt a mass in my lower body. When I lay on my back, instead of having a very flat stomach I had a protrusion. I went to the emergency room and they said I have fibroid tumors, biggest they ever saw. Now 4 years later they are huge, I look like I am 6 months pregnant. I haven't had sex in years, really don't want to because I am either always bleeding or feel just so awful sex would be the last thing I want. No kids and likely won't have any (dating life is awful too). Try explaining why I am 46 and look like I'm pregnant. I have to eat very small meals because if I eat too much I feel so bad, there is just no more room left in my tiny body. The intense pressure, pain, and bloating are just the worst. No pain pill will help. I have to take laxatives just to be able to have a bowel movement and it feels like barbed wire is being pulled through my intestines. My buttock hurts from pushing, trying to have a bowel movement. This is a daily occurrence so my life is planned around going to the bathroom. I cannot use tampons anymore no room for one, so painful. I use giant maxi pads and it is a nightmare. I have periods that last 20 days or more. I cannot wear regular clothing anymore I have to wear maternity clothes because my uterus is about the size of a soccer ball. I am 5 ft 9 inches and weigh about 150. My normal weight should be 130 but I have stopped exercising due to pain and I have gained some weight. I'd say the tumors weigh about 5 of those pounds. When I lie on my back the pressure is so bad I can only take about 15 minutes. I cannot lie on my stomach at all. I have to sleep on my sides only. I have been told to have a hysterectomy but I don't have any family to care for me after surgery so I cannot do that. Plus I cannot miss that much work, I'd be homeless. I cannot do anything I used to, I can't lift weights, ride a bike, and I am always tired and out of breath at just walking a bit. I have been very active my whole life and never been overweight. I'm about 20 lb overweight and I feel awful. My ankles swell whether I stand or sit, they swell every day. My knees are starting to swell and hurt as well. These tumors are ruining my life. I am so miserable. I have to urinate every 5 minutes, I constantly feel like I am full to the brim. Always feel like I need to pass motion, but I can't.

Comment from: Rechel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I've been suffering with uterine fibroids for almost 10 years now. I had a myomectomy and a laparoscopy done but the fibroids keep coming back. Fortunately for me I do not have heavy bleeding but unfortunately though I have very painful periods, back and leg pain and the fibroids also affected my fertility. I have been trying to conceive for 7 years but nothing happened. In addition to the fibroids, I also have endometriosis and cysts. I tried almost everything and nothing seems to work.

Comment from: clotsfree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Ladies, I've been diagnosed with fibroids for over 2 years now. I have excessive bleeding and massive blood clots. Only recently by eliminating bread from my diet have the clots and excessive bleeding declined considerably. For me the culprit, I believe, is yeast.

Comment from: Patsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with intramural fibroids. The doctor at that time had felt that a hysterectomy was not necessary and suggested an IUD (intrauterine device) to help with the pain and the bleeding. He stated that the fibroids were small. However after researching the IUD that he had prescribed me, I decided against it. I stopped taking Buscopan because it seemed I would bleed more after it ceased working; like gushing (sorry). And I had hoped the pain would subside. Fast forward to now, and this is my 2nd month in pain. This however is the worst. I am bleeding heavily and I feel pressure in my hips and back along with pelvis pain. I have taken today Tylenol 4S with no relief. It is labor without the gift of life. I can deal with this no longer.

Comment from: tiff ann ta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 29 years old with a large fibroid on my right side. It has caused heavy bleeding and a lot of pain over the past few months. I am in the process of scheduling a surgery and finally getting some relief. It has been a long road but ladies don't let your doctors push it off. Mine tried to, and now I can't wait to have this thing removed. The doctor has now put me on Tylenol with codeine for the pain as nothing else is working; don't let it get that far. This has negatively affected my life in every aspect and makes me feel sick all the time!

Comment from: kat, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

I'm 46 years old, and I found out that I have uterine fibroids. I have no heavy bleeding, no stomach pains, I now have a period only for 4 days, while I used to have it for 7 days. No spotting.

Comment from: Jules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 50 years old and am having a hysterectomy in 2 days. While I am nervous about the surgery, I am also looking forward to it. With uterine fibroids I've had some very heavy periods with large clots, as well as one period that lasted for 2 months, non-stop. I am also experiencing low back pain and a great deal of bloating. I have gained about 30 pounds, but attribute most of this to my love of food and hatred of exercising. I am also on an antidepressant called imipramine, which lists weight gain as a side effect. I am hoping to lose some of this weight after I recuperate. I'm really hoping my uterus weighs about 30 pounds (highly unlikely, I know).

Comment from: Shocked, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I just got my ultrasound results and my doctor told me I have fibroids in my uterus. I am shocked! I was bleeding heavily with large blood clots for 20 days. So scary. It would not stop bleeding. My period usually lasts for 7 days. I knew something was wrong, so I went to emergency. There they gave me tranexamic acid to stop the bleeding. Thank goodness for this. My next step is an MRI and then see a gynecologist to decide on the next step. I am taking iron pills in the meantime. We have a good health system here in Canada and I am in good hands. Just trying to deal with it. Oh boy!

Comment from: Lela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed with fibroid in this last year because I had severe long bleeding and pain which led my doctor to do an ultrasound, and she discovered a fibroid. My doctor says the fibroid is on the exterior of my uterus and so is not causing the long bleeding but is causing pain. I have had every test available to find the reason for my long bleeding, 2 to 6 weeks at a time, but doctor says she doesn't know and it is not caused by the fibroid. I'm wondering why there is no answers to my problem. Perhaps it is possible the fibroid is really causing this.

Comment from: Bella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Over the past 10 years my periods were getting heavier and heavier to the point where I wasn't even able to leave the house for 5 days due to the extreme bleeding. I was also finding I was having a period for 10 to 13 days on top of the heavy bleeding. Although I didn't suffer from cramping or other symptoms like many women, I was constantly tired and fed up. My periods were ruining my life and negatively impacting on work. After consulting a gynecologist I decided the best treatment would be a UFE (uterine fibroid embolization). I chose this over a hysterectomy because the down time is 5 days versus a month or more. The procedure is performed by a radiologist under anesthesia; although you are awake during the procedure (the doctor needs you to follow his instructions during the procedure) there was no pain. Recovery was a night in hospital. The pain starts a few hours after the procedure, but with self-administered pain medicines plus heavy duty drugs every few hours it was manageable. I was sent home 24 hours after the procedure and rated for the next few days. The pain was totally manageable and I was fully recovered and back at work the following Monday. There was a noticeable difference with my next period. Very light bleeding for 3 days. I had the treatment nearly 12 months ago and I continue to have extremely light periods for a few days. Having the UFE was the best thing I ever did. I just went with that as I'd seen someone about it who had the surgery years ago. I have my life back.

Comment from: AnnMJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had relatively minor pain with my periods during most of my life. At around age 50 I was bleeding all the time; it might just be spotting, or a full period, but it was constant. After several months, I brought it to the attention of my gynecologist. He immediately scheduled me for a uterine ablation due to anemia. After that, I continued to have regular periods, but stopped bleeding between cycles. We tried the Depo-Provera injections, but those caused me to bleed 24/7 again, and I ended up with phlebitis, so had to stop them. Over the past few years, I've had increasing pain and cramping when I cycle. I'm 56 and the cycle only lasts a few days, although I still pass blood, it's a minimal amount. Despite that, the cramps are very intense and debilitating. I haven't vomited, but I do rely on ibuprofen and prescription muscle relaxers to help me through it. My obstetrician/gynecologist, primary care physician and I agree that I'm so close to the end of menstruating, I should try to hold off instead of having a hysterectomy. In reading some of the information on line about women who continue to have pain post menopause, I have to admit it scares me. If I hurt this bad even a few years ago when my periods were in full swing, I would not have hesitated to have a hysterectomy. It's more painful than I would have ever imagined and I'm just so grateful I didn't have this all my life, as some women suffer with it!

Comment from: kala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 48 years old. I was diagnosed with multiple fibroids and thickened endometrium as well. For a few years I have been seeing obstetrician/gynecologist for heavy periods. But now my big concern is my heavy period started early November and hasn't stopped yet till now. I tried hormonal pills and IUD (intra-uterine device) as well. It seems it didn't work. I am on wait and see game. I know that my menopause is just around the corner but I can't function normally.

Comment from: Rosie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had a myomectomy at the age of 23 in the mid-1960s. By the time the condition was discovered the tumor was the size of a football and my stomach was swollen and distorted. I did not have much pain or abnormal bleeding and I could not understand why my stomach was so distorted and bulging. I knew that I was not pregnant, but my symptoms were ignored until too late. I guess that I did not fit the criteria of a uterine fibroid sufferer. I never could have kids after this.

Comment from: pl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I experienced a fluorescent green discharge with some blood but no symptoms of pain and no odor whatsoever. I ended up in the emergency room (ER) and after a vaginal ultrasound, I was told that I had a uterine fibroid that had died and that was probably the pain I was experiencing. I have symptoms of excruciating pain in my right ovary and still have discharge. I also feel full after 2 bites of food and have to urinate frequently (sometimes every 1/2 hour). I now have pain in both ovaries and have a distended tummy. I am looking at options for a hysterectomy as I have not been tolerating the pain very well and do not want to go through this again.

Comment from: Rustee1970, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am 44 and yesterday had a pelvic ultrasound scan after two years of terrible cramping for up to a week before (and during) my periods. I am also up and down all night going to the toilet and have been passing large clots when having my period. I only finally mentioned these symptoms after chatting with my Mum about what was going on (she had same scan the week previous). What surprised me was that even I could see at least one massive fibroid on the scan (perfectly round)! I will be seeing the general physician again next week for the results but realistically I just want the pain to stop and to not feel like I have to pee every half hour.

Comment from: Kym, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was diagnosed with uterine fibroid when I was 30 years old. They were really small on the ultra sound, but within the last 7 months they have started to grow in size and increase in number. I am presently waiting to be seen by a gynecologist. The pain, pressure, fullness and cramping is awful, sometimes unbearable. My periods are crazy, week long, extremely heavy flow, and not able to leave home. Tummy is quite distended and painful. Just staying positive and taking one day at a time. All the best ladies in the same or similar situation.

Comment from: Not Myself, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am 47 and just found out two months ago I have 3 fibroids all equal in size, (about the size of a baseball) pressing on my bladder, my abdomen, and my lower back (nerve). Two and a half years ago I had a uterine ablation (the surgical removal of the lining of the uterus) because I was experiencing extreme anemia due to heavy menstrual cycles. I tried to get a hysterectomy done back then, but my doctor suggested I do the ablation. Needless to say, I have a scheduled surgery date in two weeks for a partial hysterectomy. I can't wait! I am in so much pain, from numbness up and down my leg to sharp pains shooting in my abdomen that feel like contractions. Every time I eat or drink something, I have to run straight to the bathroom. I am over this uncomfortable feeling and ready to get back to the old me. Many of my family and friends keep telling me I don't seem like myself. This is why I stated sharing. In doing so, I found out many women have already been through what I'm about to experience and glad they made that decision. I'm ready to say bye-bye to my baseballs.

Comment from: FrksFrau, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed with fibroids several years ago. At the time, I only had heavy bleeding for 24 hours, so I did nothing. However, now I am at 3 full days and the cramps are extremely painful. I easily go through a box and a half of 40 Ultra tampons each cycle. The obstetrician/gynecologist just diagnosed me with severe anemia after he ordered a full blood test. My uterus is enlarged. I'm going in for a hysterosalpingogram this Tuesday to find out if the fibroids can be removed and then have an endometrial ablation, or if I need, a hysterectomy. I'm hoping for the first, bracing myself for the second.

Comment from: lakesha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I am 39 years old and I just found out that I have 6 fibroids. Two are in my uterus and the others are on my ovaries. I don't know what the doctors are planning on doing. My periods aren't that bad, I just have bad cramps and a lot of bleeding on the second day of my period, it's not unbearable pain and the bleeding isn't that severe. My period just lasts 7 days instead of 5 days. The thought of me having these nasty looking things inside of me freaks me out and I want them removed as soon as possible. I'm waiting to hear from the doctor to see what the plan is, hopefully he can remove them without removing my uterus.

Comment from: lg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have had uterine fibroids for a while now. My mom had them also. I had an open myomectomy surgery in 2007. My doctor took out 21 small fibroids. He left some because they were by blood vessels. I had a baby in 2010, I nursed, and once the child turned 6 months, the cycles started back. It was a disaster, like a crime scene. While lying down, the blood builds up, and once I stand up, it"s all over. The blood clots are huge, I hate them. I later got back on the pill, to help regulate my cycles. I did not want to do that, after taking them for 15 years, and then 5 years later, taking them again. The blood is still heavy, but not as much. I don"t have as many accidents. I just hate to sneeze or stand, after sitting long periods of time. I do want to have another child. So now I"m just waiting, still taking the pill. Afterwards, I would like to have a hysterectomy. I"m tired of these fibroids. I don"t have many cramps, but they are just irritating.

Comment from: Sholanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I found out that I had uterine fibroids two years ago at the age of 37. The pain is sometimes a bit tolerable, but then there are times when the pain is just unbearable. I had a horrible pain episode a couple of days ago. I literally had to crouch down on all fours and breathe as if I was having a baby, just to get some relief. It also made me very nauseous. Pain medication doesn't really help much.

Comment from: Ronda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I am a 41 year old woman, who was recently diagnosed with uterine fibroids. Like many of you, I have experienced pelvic pain for quite some time now. Lately, I have experienced increased menstrual cycles and spotting, in addition to pressure by my rectum (which I just found out is a symptom as well). Though I had high risk pregnancies, I have 2 children and lost one (with the two living I barely made it to the 7th month and the one I lost I was 20 weeks). At this point, I am not looking to have any more children and would prefer to have a hysterectomy - I guess my worry with that is most people I know who have had the surgery experience problems with weight gain.

Comment from: Going through it, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I"m 30 and found out about my fibroids months after I turned 30. I"ve been seeing a gynecologist faithfully every 6 months and now she sees them. My menstrual period was always 7 days but as I got older it started to get heavy, and I started to get really bad back pain. After I turned 30 I started to see spots for a couple of days. I told my gynecologist, had the ultrasound and they found one fibroid that was 2 cm and then a few little ones. She prescribed me birth control, the lowest one and the first month I was ok, but by the 2nd month I started spotting again, and now for longer days, like 10 days now; and my period isn"t here yet. I do get pain on my left side, which is where the fibroid is located and I get pain and pressure as if I want to use the bathroom, or something is just pushing with pain. I take Motrin but it only works for a certain time. My mom made me some bush tea and the pain is gone but, now I'm bleeding more than usual. I don"t know what to do. I started to change my diet, I eat more fish and fruits and vegetables. I stopped eating meat. I reduced my sugar intake and am even trying to do a detox to better myself because I do not want to keep feeding this thing. I want to have kids one day and this is not looking good. My mother and aunts on both sides of my parents all had a hysterectomy. I only have one maternal aunt who didn"t have any kids because she had it the worst. She had fibroids twice and lost her baby twice. I am every day hoping I get better or that something works, or to at least one day still bear a child.

Comment from: Yakov, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I been suffering with uterine fibroids (UF) my entire life it seems. As a teenager, I avoided activities because I bleed heavily which decreased my confidence. I have been through several D&C and uterine artery embolization (UAE) and UF continue to grow. Recently, I have been experiencing the same lower back pain, heavy bleeding, spotting all month, the mood swings, sore breast and pelvis area. I went to the gynecologist and was ordered a hysterectomy. Currently I'm nervous about the surgery. However my mom, aunt, grandmother and great grandma, all had this surgery.

Comment from: samu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was suffering from heavy periods and diagnosed with fibroids in ultrasonography 4 years back. Due to mixed suggestions I avoided the surgery, but I lost one of my kidney and other was only 30% functional. After surgery I am normal and function of my kidney is improved from 30% to 60%.

Comment from: janice, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a 41 years old woman. I have been diagnosed with fibroids. The symptoms I have are spotting between menses, 37 days menses (from 28 days), two miscarriages, and painful intercourse. The likelihood of having a child is zero and telling my spouse who wants a child was the most terrible thing I had to do. I am not nervous about removing my uterus because my health is paramount to anything else. Despite being attractive and financially stable, one cannot help but feel helpless and hopeless as a woman. Yes, I have one child, but not being able to give your partner a child makes me feel less than a woman. The surgery is scheduled for March 21, 2014, thankfully, it's free in Canada. I will keep you posted. All but my fallopian tubes will remain.

Comment from: KC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

For several years now, like many of you, I have suffered with uterine fibroids. One measured 12cm and was larger than my entire uterus. One was about 6cm, I don"t know how big or small the others measured. I"ve had heavy periods, terrible lower back pain, etc. In addition, I have multiple sclerosis. Together, my doctors had to find a way to help me. My gynecologist settled on the UFE, uterine fibroid embolism, as this procedure was a lot less invasive than a hysterectomy at this time. I had the procedure done on Monday. The pain during the first 24 hours was insurmountable! However, I honestly believe that this procedure will help me. I"m relatively ok at this point. I just can't seem to have a bowel movement as of yet. I"m very optimistic about this procedure.

Comment from: adub, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 40 year old woman. I was told that I have at least 3 uterine fibroids by my gynecologist in September of 2013. Before my appointment I had not gotten my period for over 6 months. I started having pain in my lower back and abdomen in June of 2013 which escalated as my appointment neared. I also had bouts of bloating with excessive weight gain. I am also having bouts of depression and mood swings. I was given Provera to induce periods but so far have only seen my period 1 month. Now the pain is unbearable, I am depressed and feel like the Good Year blimp. Hopefully I will get some relief soon, I'm scheduled for another ultrasound next week.

Comment from: Deedums, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with UF (uterine fibroids) at 47 years of age. I was experiencing very heavy bleeding, abdominal cramping during my periods for about two years. I had to take the day off of work if my first day of my period landed on a weekday. I was anemic and my gynecologist suggested endometrial ablation to stop the bleeding/anemia. It's been two years and the pain and bleeding are minimal. The UF is still there (7 cm) and now I have pressure on my bladder/abdominal area. If it has grown in these two years, I will opt for hysterectomy leaving the ovaries in place. The drug side effects are worrisome.

Comment from: relieved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 52 years old and the past few months I have had horrific periods due to fibroids. My periods were so bad I was afraid to leave the house. Recently I underwent the outpatient procedure, uterine fibroid embolization to relieve the heavy bleeding. I have not had a period since this procedure so I can't say what difference it has made. I was told it would have an effect on my cycle delaying my period and because of my age it might push me into menopause. Either way I'm relieved because this procedure will either reduce my period or end it all together and for me that's great news considering what I have been through.

Comment from: Steg1351, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 33, about 8 months ago I was having a lot fluttering and dull aches and pain. I wanted to make sure that I did not have a tubal pregnancy. I had a normal PAP and they had to do an ultrasound and found a fibroid. Soon after, I had a biopsy to confirm that it was non-cancerous. I have every symptom in the book that my fibroids is growing too large. If I want my life back I got to have a hysterectomy. It is literally sucking the life out of me. Often times I feel week, fatigue, abdominal pain, constipation, painful intercourse, dizziness, frequent urination, headaches, back aches and every day I feel sick. More so due to making me anemic because of it sucking the blood out of me. I put off having a hysterectomy but, I can't keep living like this.

Comment from: ML3girls, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had vaginal bleeding since Aug 17 so it has been approximately 3 months of daily bleeding. Last month I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids and polycystic ovary. The doctor put me on birth control pills in early October. My pack finished on Thursday. On Saturday morning I had severe pain; it felt like something had dropped and was obstructing the vaginal canal. I had to go to the hospital (it felt like I was in labor). I was given two doses of Dilaudid, Toradol and morphine to control the pain. The ultrasound did not find evidence of the fibroid and my ovaries were back to normal size. I was sent home on Percocet and as soon as I walked in the door at home I felt a need to urinate. Before I could sit on the toilet something fell out of my vagina it was whitish gray in color with some areas of bloody material. I don't know what it was. It was approximately 7 inches X 5 in. It was about 1/2 in. thick I don't know what it was but it really scared me. Today I am extremely sore in my lower abdomen and feel weak.

Comment from: StormAngelus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have one fibroid that's grown about 40% in the past year, and worse, I'm now constantly fighting my period! Two months ago I had the worst period ever, 16 days long, and heavy with tons of clots. I'm constantly exhausted and the worst of it is I had to take medication to "stop" the period - and heaven help me if I miss one dose! My body tries to go right back into a period. I hate it! I've talked to my doctor about the heavy period, but I don't know what to do about the near-constant period!

Comment from: adrena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

In September I collapsed from severe dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath and fatigue. I got to the emergency room where, after having my blood drawn, was immediately admitted to intensive care and started on what would end up being given 6 units of blood. My red blood count was .3, the doctors were surprised I was even alive. I had no red blood, no potassium and no iron. My bone marrow was no longer making red blood. At first they thought I had something wrong with my bone marrow, brain and then found a fibroid. I had been having such heavy bleeding for the previous 3 to 4 months I could not leave my home. I had shortness of breath and a pounding heart whenever I walked 5 feet or more. I had recently moved to Colorado where the doctor said it was just adjusting to the high altitude and it would pass. I moved to Florida thinking it is not passing. Then I ended up in the hospital receiving blood and iron IVs for 4 days. I started shot treatments to stop the bleeding and 6 additional units of iron to build my blood up which has taken 6 weeks. I had to go to the Infusion Centre weekly for my iron as my doctor said I could not handle the normal every other day iron infusions. I am having the Da Vinci robotic surgery in the next 2 weeks for my hysterectomy, and while I am concerned about the apparent side effects of having a hysterectomy, I am happy there is such a non invasive option with such a short recovery time. I hope my surgery goes well and I don't end up suffering from any of the severe side effects such as osteoporosis, tumors, blockages etc.

Comment from: MsShon75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I discovered that I had two fibroid tumors in March 2012 during a visit to my OB/Gyn. Since the discovery, I have experienced intense pain. Pain medications do not seem to help at all. I have tried ibuprofen, prescription pain pills prescribed by my doctor, Tylenol, and nothing seems to ease the pain. During my cycles, I have to use a tampon and a sanitary napkin at the same time because the bleeding is so heavy. I am always fatigued, and I lose a lot of sleep because I am in pain all of the time. I don't know what else to do. I am just sick of the pain.

Comment from: MRS.Shoto, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 29 year old female. I am having problems. I have been having a cycle for the last 4 months. I have been to the doctor and we have talked about it. He seems to only be concerned about my abnormal Pap smear result. I am nervous about uterine fibroids. I have stomach n back pains all the time. I am scheduled for an ultra sound on December 30, 2015.

Comment from: raad mm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have fibroid and it is large, 11 cm. I have bleeding after the end of menses and continue after menses. I took medication, with temporary effect. I started to drink warm water 3 to 4 cups every day before breakfast and eat after 40 minutes. After a few days the bleeding stopped and I continue till now on drinking water every day. The fibroid's size is the same but I hope it will decrease with time.

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 09

My age is 53 and three doctors have told me to have hysterectomy, within last 5 years. I did not want that. Two years ago I was told I had too many fibroids to count but the guess was 30 to 40. Back pain is terrible when standing, and soon as I sit I am ok.

Comment from: chrssymc49, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have been taking low dose hormone therapy for about 15 years. I'm now 65 years old and have a large fibroid. It does not really bother me except for occasional spotting. Doctor says I should go off hormones. I started not taking them and am now having hot flashes and mood swings. It is really driving me nuts.

Comment from: bredeee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I am currently 20 years old. I have been recently diagnosed with a uterine fibroid that grows on the outside wall of my uterus. I know this usually doesn't happen with girls my age. I was wondering if this is going to hinder my ability to give my spouse and me a baby. It is four inches big and I'm really concerned about this.

Comment from: Yang Ly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am 23 years old. I've been diagnosed with fibroids a couple weeks ago. I've been devastated. My symptoms are heavy bleeding and slight cramps which are bearable. I still want babies because I only have 1 daughter. I've also had a miscarriage. I'm now thinking maybe the fibroids took a toll on my 2nd pregnancy. Ugh, I'm only 23! I really didn't have this in store. Fibroids are causing me to not go to work because my bleeding is so severe. I have to change my pad every hour, if not less. I've been diagnosed for only a couple weeks and it's making me so crazy because I'm over thinking about the possibilities. I'm in need of some advice and motivation.

Comment from: tired of the bleedin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had my periods since January. In April I had to receive a blood transfusion because I lost so much blood. I have uterine fibroids. The bleeding stopped for two weeks and I am bleeding again, I was given birth control pills to help stop it but it slowed it down a little. I don't know what else to do, what I should ask my obstetrician/gynecologist as far as treatment.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 16

I am a 60 year old lady and I'm having lower back pains and headaches frequently. I also experience a sticking pain around the area of my left breast that sometimes lasts very long, I was told by the doctor that I have small fibroids and spot sometimes. I am also diagnosed with gouty arthritis. I am very worried and would like to know why the headaches especially.

Comment from: michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have 3 fibroids and my general physician says they are too small to be removed and will not refer me to a gynecologist. They are 3mm. I have heavy periods which he has given me tablets for, excruciating lower back pain and old blood after my period. I wonder if the fibroids are causing this.

Comment from: VLeake, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 56 year old with uterine fibroids. I don't know how many but the last time I was at the doctor's they said it was the size of a 12 months pregnancy. Now my stomach is so large and also now I have a smaller pouch just below my C section I had in 84. In size it feels like medium size tennis balls; I have to lift my stomach up to sit down. I am a diabetic as well with other medical troubles but I want these out. My back hurts because they are so large it pushes on my back, but one thing I don't understand is how it makes your stomach so large.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am 45 this year. I have huge uterine fibroids, but I have controlled the bleeding with something natural called Dim-plus. In my area they have a treatment called Acessa. It is where they use focused laser inserted into the fibroids and melt at least 50% or more. I have been waiting for something like this, because I have one day of heavy bleeding, but pressure more than I would like and I look pregnant. My consultation is on 4/15/14. I would advise anyone to look into this, if you want to keep your uterus.

Comment from: sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

With uterine fibroids I wonder if anyone experiences chronic lower back pain and pelvic pain. It feels like pulling or a lot of pressure.

Comment from: Sofie77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 29 year old, slim and otherwise healthy, with 4 fibroids, 3 posterior, one anterior. One of them is as large as 11cm in diameter and I am told I will not be able to bear children with it on my uterus. I am very distressed to hear this news, but if anyone can speak about their experiences about removing the cyst/fibroid and not the entire uterus, it would be appreciated. I did not want to have children till 33-34, and I just want to know if that will be possible anymore.

Comment from: maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 45 years old. Since I was 30, I had 3 abdominal laparotomies to extract multiple fibroids. Now my uterus is 16 cm, with multiple fibroids again with the biggest one 9cm in size. I never had children and it hurts to think of losing my uterus.

Comment from: CarrieK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 36 years old. I have had horrible periods since I was 11. I hurt and ache in my stomach, back and legs. I bleed heavily and have horrible clots. I have seen a doctor who finally diagnosed me, I have uterine fibroids. I am having a hysterectomy very soon. Hopefully I will feel better.

Comment from: Ul1964, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a da Vinci robotic hysterectomy 2 weeks ago as a result of multiple fibroids causing severe periods, anemia and back pain. My surgery was nearly 6 hours long due to the size of my uterus. I kept my ovaries but the surgeon removed my uterus, fallopian tubes and cervix. The recovery has not been too bad. The first few days required pain killers but after about a week I have only been taking Motrin. The worst part now is the general weakness and tiredness I have and lower abdominal ache. I'm hoping to go back to work within the next few days. I researched all available procedures before undergoing the robotic hysterectomy which was my best option. So far so good.

Comment from: momof3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I've been diagnosed with fibroids in my uterus since 2008. My doctor didn't shrink them nor did I have surgery and now it has grown larger. I'm experiencing regular symptoms however, I also have a mass that is noticeable. It also hurts when touched or when my bladder is full. Up to now I've had menstrual flow monthly, however, this month I haven't had, it so I'm now 6 days late.

Comment from: leggylauren, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I've been in menopause since 2004 but after a CT, Ultrasound and pelvic MRI, it was determined in 2012 that I had uterine fibroids. I am an African/Native American female. After a year of abnormal vaginal bleeding off and on and severe cramping I had a D&C in 2013. Three weeks later, I am still bleeding and passing clots and will ask my gynecologist for a partial hysterectomy. I should not be having any vaginal bleeding and the D&C did not work for me.

Comment from: Chelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 45 and I was diagnosed with fibroids in Feb 2013. I had already had bleeding for 7 days every other week. I didn't know what it was. I only went to the doctor because of the pain I had been having but because I am uninsured I can't seem to find any help. It is so hard for me to work now but I do my best. I have been told that I need surgery because there are over 10 fibroids and my uterus is large.

Comment from: bleazn69, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have fibroid of 5 cm size on the outside of uterus. The only way to remove it is by a hysterectomy. My gynecologist won't remove it because it's not large enough. I take ketorolac for the pains. I am currently trying an IUD to reduce my period.

Comment from: Team Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have fibroids but I have had an IUD in place now for 6 years. I have now learned that having the ParaGard IUD would cause your periods to be a bit more aggressive which feeds more blood to your fibroids. I now need to have the fibroids removed due to increased size and pain. I was told to have the IUD removed and go on birth control pills to regulate and slow the monthly cycle bleeding which would stop feeding the fibroids and they may decrease as I go through menopause. But there is a problem. The fibroids have wrapped around the IUD and I must be put asleep to have it taken out.

Comment from: Bodyaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

At age 45 I started perimenopause that included severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS). I kept getting pain in my right side next to my hipbone and pelvic pain. After testing when I was about 48, it was discovered I had multiple fibroids. The largest being 3cm. I'm now 52 and for years have dealt with heavy bleeding, severe PMS and pain. I found a gynecologist who would give me a hysterectomy last December. I decided to wait because of my job and I'm glad I did in some ways because I'm not bleeding any longer and the pain in my right side is no longer there. I still cycle with terrible fatigue and mood changes but I feel much more stable than I did a few years ago.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I suffer for a minimum of two weeks per month with abdominal pain in my uterus. I also get severe lower back pain and have issues with my bowels and frequent urination during this time. This usually begins 3-5 days before I begin my period and then the pain subsides and I have a very heavy period with lots of bleeding and clots. Once my period ends I continue to have abdominal pain for another 4-5 days. Does this sound normal? My doctor said if I wait till menopause that it will all go away. I am 46 years old and each month I consider if waiting is worth it or if I should pursue a hysterectomy.

Comment from: helmish15, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

Three years ago, I had a hysterectomy because of fibroids. My symptoms were severe: very heavy bleeding, and large blood clots. In the past, I told my doctor, but she took a wait-and-see attitude. Finally, the pain was so severe that I changed doctors and changed my life literally. When I had the tests run, he discovered more than 20 fibroids of all shapes and sizes. I had severe endometriosis cysts and vey early stages of cancer. I am very happy today; my doctor saved me.

Comment from: rollermom60, 45-54 Female Published: March 04

I am 48 years old and have been dealing with uterine fibroids for a long time. They did not seem to have much impact on my life until a few years ago when all 'hell broke loose' every month. (Having to go through five super-heavy tampons as well as six heavy-duty pads in a nine-hour period I do believe would be considered severe bleeding.) Anemia is my middle name. I am also playing the waiting game and hope menopause is around the corner for me. In the meantime, I deal with the flood gates opening every month, and I take an iron supplement, which has helped me tremendously. I tried prescription as well as over-the-counter iron pills, but the constipation was just too much to handle. Floradix Iron & Herb Tablets (comes in liquid form as well) is a God-send. Look for it in your health food stores or on line. I was going to have the uterine ablation procedure, but when I found out that there is a 50% chance it will work, I have decided to hang in there.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: December 17

I am a 24-year-old Latina. In August, I was experiencing severe pain in my abdomen, so I went to the ER to get it checked out. The doctor told me that I probably had kidney stones, and they could not see them with the ultrasound. He did not want to do a CT scan because of my age, so he gave me medicine to help me pass the stones. Two weeks ago, I had to return to the ER because I was having more severe pain. This time they did an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. The doctor said the results were inconclusive. I followed up with my doctor, and she scheduled a trans-vag ultrasound, which I did yesterday. She called last night to tell me the results had not come back yet, but she got the full report of my ER visit. She then told me that it showed a uterine fibroid that I have had since 2004! Nobody ever told me that, and I gave birth in 2006. I cannot believe that I have lived with this for four, almost five, years and no one said anything. In late 2004 early 2005, I had an ultrasound performed because I had lower abdominal pain that the doctors wrote off as a UTI, which is funny because the only symptom I had was the pain. I didn't have any urinary symptoms at all. It also showed gallstones, which they also did not tell me about in the ER.

Comment from: yams41, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have uterine fibroids and have had them for years. When my OB/GYN first told me I had fibroids, we decided to take the watch-and-wait route because I didn't have any problems. Now about 10 years later, I have severe/killer cramps, backaches, and constipation. I do not want to have a hysterectomy and my doctor also feels the same. Since I am close to menopause, he suggests that I keep playing the waiting game. I don't have any heavy bleeding, probably thanks to the birth control pills that I take. I found that if I take a painkiller on the first sign of pain, it help lessens the severe cramps. I am also starting to watch my diet. I make sure to eat lots of fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water. Exercise also helps reduce the cramping.

Comment from: Cathy A., 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 19

I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids at age 38. I did not want a hysterectomy; I wanted to preserve the ability to have children and didn't want to go into menopause early so I chose myomectomy. The surgery was unsuccessful, the two largest tumors had veins wrapped around my ovaries and could not be removed without removing the ovaries because I wanted to preserve the ability to have kids, the doctor did not remove the ovaries. I then had a Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE), which was successful; the heavy bleeding, distention and discomfort subsided and I had my life back! However, 10 years later two new fibroid tumors appeared in my uterus, which was a shock to me; I didn't know that could happen. I have now chosen to have a hysterectomy. I'm glad I did the UFE, it bought me 10 more years before hysterectomy. If I had not waited until two of the tumors got so large, the myomectomy may have been successful. Fibroids can grow FAST and larger ones can be more difficult to treat. I wish I had sought treatment a year earlier, and wish I had known that they could still grow after UFE!

Comment from: THeart, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My experience with fibroids was awful. I was 28 and had no idea what was happening to my body. I was expecting my period, but had it arrive seven days late. I had golf ball size blood clots coming out of me. I was scared to move, let alone walk around because there was nothing available to wear to hold back all the blood. When I finally went to the emergency room 24 hours later the doctor prescribed a drug that would "lessen the bleeding". That did not work and 48 hours later I was light headed and dizzy and back in the E.R. Finally a new doctor came in. CT's, MRI's and ultra sound were done. I ended up having surgery, a Myoectomy/ D&C. Though the surgery was a success I developed an infection that had me stuck in the hospital for two weeks. Now I am anemic with very low white blood cell count despite the blood transfusions. My advice: know your body, trust your own instinct, and fight the doctor if they try to send you home.

Comment from: jetlei04, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 27 years old and I am also black American. I recently have been diagnosed with having five myometrium fibroid tumors. I went nearly three months without a bowel movement and my doctors did not believe me. I ended up having a colonoscopy and that showed that I had a mass, so they did a lower endoscopic ultrasound of my colon and that showed a huge mass which they biopsied in 26 places, and also called in a gynecologic oncologist to take a look at what they thought was a huge benign mass, during what was supposed to be a 45 minute procedure that turned into a 6 hour ordeal and I was still unconscious, and it turned out to be a huge cyst extending from my ovary that ruptured laying 15cm/7 inches of fluid on my colon clamping it completely shut. I have been diagnosed with 5 fibroid tumors.

Comment from: Niecee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I am a 40-year-old female with very painful periods every month due to uterine fibroids. I have very heavy bleeding and severe pain. The doctors want to remove them, but I am a diabetic. The last time they wanted to do a biopsy, I had a very high blood sugar reading and a high blood pressure reading, so now I am suffering. I've tried everything to ease the pain and the only thing that works is Lortab.

Comment from: Ellen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

When I had uterine fibroids, I had a feeling of heaviness in the tummy and a feeling of constant pain. My hip bone feels as if it has been displaced because my fibroid is so large. I feel as if I am carrying a really heavy weight around with me all the time. Clothes start to look and feel uncomfortable and the periods are long and heavy! I also suffer with Graves disease, so I never know whether I am coming or going! One stops the periods all together and the other give me heavy periods! I suffer on both levels. I get hot flushes, night sweats, muscle pain, anxiousness, shortness of breath, insomnia, tremors, rashes, dizziness, headaches, and blurred vision. Is this fun or what?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am a forty year old women and just found out I have an 18 in a half inch fibroid in my uterus.

Comment from: nanu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have multiple fibroids in my uterus am aged 30 without children.

Comment from: marlene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have fibroids outside my womb. I used to have heavy periods, now I don't have periods, it's one month now.

Comment from: LCM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am due to have laparoscopic operation to reduce or remove fibroids with a specialist doctor who is keen to preserve the uterus, in a couple of days' time. This option feels right for me and I still dream of having a child.

Comment from: Jillybean470, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am a very healthy 48 year old. I was told at my yearly PAP screening that I have a mass in my uterus the size of an apple. I have no symptoms at all. I have a pelvic ultrasound scheduled in 2 days. I am kind of scared.

Comment from: sandra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am 52 years old and I had a U.F.E. (uterine fibroid embolization) in 2007 but I have started back bleeding again. I am unsure if I can have the procedure again or I can't.

Comment from: Suze, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am a 43 year old mother of a 6 year old who was conceived while I was on the pill. I have been taking the same pill for about 8 years, but recently I have been having surprise periods between my regular, scheduled, periods. I also have been having severe pain and bulging stomach intermittently. So I had a pelvic ultrasound and I guess I have a large fist sized fibroid on my uterus. My doctor just wants to try a different pill and check back in a year. My great aunt died of ovarian cancer, my grandmother and mother both died of breast cancer relatively young and my sister has had breast cancer 2x despite having a double mastectomy after the first time and I had per cancerous changes in my breast at 29 yrs. Am I foolish to be a tad concerned about waiting that long to see if it grows or changes?

Comment from: arge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 41 years old and don't have any children. Two months ago, I was diagnosed with having a uterine fibroid. I suffered prolonged bleeding or spotting, but no pain or any other symptoms. My OB/GYN told me to have hysterectomy as the only solution, but I refused since my myomas are very small (less than 1 mm). My doctor did not prescribed drug to dissolve the fibroid, so I treated it myself. I take a non-synthetic drug such as MX3, Malunggay capsules, and Banaba and Intra Juice. My spotting slowly disappears and my menstruation lasts only for a week, fully. But when I have sex with my husband it bleeds again. So I'm a little bit confused now.

Comment from: Roseofsharon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 40 years old, and I have been dealing with uterine fibroids imbedded in the wall of my uterus for almost four to five years. These last two years, I have felt as if the first two days of my cycle that I am living in hell. I get hot and the pain is so severe that I can do nothing but lie in bed and go from hot to cold. I pass clots so bad that I have to breathe as if I am in labor at times just to pass them. I am looking for a specialist who can remove the fibroids without me having a full hysterectomy.

Comment from: penny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was told I have uterine fibroids and cysts. I am having pain in my left side near my pelvic area and was told by my doctor's nurse they don't cause pain. When I sit, I feel as if I am sitting on something and pain in my lower left side and the middle of my stomach.

Comment from: faithalways, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I am scheduled to have surgery to remove the uterine fibroids that are about 6 inches and causing tiredness, bloating, and controlling my life on a daily basis. First, it started as heavy bleeding and clots. I ignored the signs because I was using birth control for most of my adulthood. I finally stopped taking the pills and thought this is what a period would be like when you are not on the pills -- heavy bleeding and clots. However, a friend at work encouraged me to have pelvic ultrasound because she had the same problems. We need to trust our signs. My doctor was recommending taking the pills again or a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Lucy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a 50-year-old black female. I have had female problems all my adult life. I have had uterine fibroids probably for more than five years, but they were diagnosed in 2004. My largest one is 12 cc. I have never been able to have children, and now I'm scheduled to have a hysterectomy, and I don't really want to have one because I think I can live with my fibroids. I do not suffer from any pain. My only symptoms are: feeling of being bloated, constant urination, huge stomach, and pressure on my bladder.

Comment from: tired-one, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have at least four golf ball-sized uterine fibroids. When they told me the results and options, they did not mention the UFE procedure. I brought it up to them and they said yes that also is an option and will set me up with someone else to counsel me for that procedure. Why don't they let you know this option? I hate these fibroids! They really interfere with life. I feel awful all the time. I have heaviness in my lower stomach, and it hurts. I'm very anemic. I can't exercise so I'm gaining weight. I hope this UFE works.

Comment from: conquerer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 42 and was diagnosed with uterine fibroids three years ago. I have been struggling with them longer because when my doctor found them, my blood level was so low that she told me she could not operate. I was so anemic that I was eating ice and could not stop. She suggested a hysterectomy, but I could not bring myself to do that. Yesterday, I had laparoscopic uterine artery occlusion. I pray this helps all my symptoms and shrinks the fibroid. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for a procedure that doesn't have us butcher our bodies.

Comment from: Some one who knows, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I recently had a uterine fibroid embolization for treatment to shrink my huge fibroid tumor. I woke up on the operating table having a heart attack. I have never had heart trouble. I am very healthy still. I would not recommend this surgery to anyone EVER!

Comment from: MD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I have always had heavy and painful periods but have accepted it as 'one of those things'. Fibroids were not discovered until I went to the doctor with spot bleeding between periods.

Comment from: shorty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was diagnosed with a 6cm fibroid in June this year. I heavy bleeding which lasts 3 weeks, with a six day break. I had Mirena coil fitted but it came out two months later. I feel very ill with palpitations and tiredness. I now take mefenamic acid and have been prescribed cerazette. I am 43 and don't really want to a have a hysterectomy and the only other option I've been offered is to burn the lining of the womb, but I will still have the fibroid.

Comment from: M1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My experience with a uterine fibroid was not a painful one. I suddenly began experiencing "break-through" bleeding in between my periods while I was taking Yaz birth control pills. I thought that I must not be taking my pill consistently enough so I waited and watched things for a few months. My doctor ordered a saline hystosonogram, and I learned that a fibroid was the culprit. Once it was removed my spotting symptoms subsided.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter