Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Surgery

If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: fidela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had two myomectomies for uterine fibroids, abdominal in 05/2012 and laparoscopy in 02/2014. I have never been pregnant; not to my knowing. I'm feeling hopeless and the fibroids are growing again. The doctor said that it looks like I may need another myomectomy. I know that I have a fibroid the size of a goose egg (6 cm).

Comment from: dade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had a surgery to remove fibroids from my uterus which went well. That was about 8 months ago. Now I am desperate for a baby but am not getting pregnant. I have one son whom I had before the surgery. I wonder if the surgery could have affected my conceivability.

Comment from: JG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy 4 days ago. Ten years ago I had surgery to remove the fibroids from my uterus. This time it wasn"t an option for me. I"m doing great with my recovery. I spent 1 night in the hospital and have been home resting since then. I feel better now than I did in the months before this procedure. My fibroids were ruining my life. The pain and bleeding was too much to take. Find a doctor who is experienced with this method. So much better than the big incision some doctors do.

Comment from: NKT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

At age 38, I had surgery to remove a "sea of fibroid cysts" (per my doctor) and to remove a larger cyst that had attached itself to my left ovary. My doctor had suggested a hysterectomy since I have a 10 year old son, but I was just not ready and thought that seemed a little drastic. She did say that she may need to remove the left ovary altogether if the cyst can't be removed. On surgery day, after surgery I woke up with horrible cramping and debilitating pain and asked the attending nurse if the ovary was removed. She said that they did the surgery as planned and removed the fibroid cysts, loaded me up with pain medications and sent me home. It wasn't until 3 days later that I found out about the ovary being removed. I know she warned me that it was a possibility but it would have been nice to know what caused the extreme cramping and pain all the way to my back. The pain was so bad that I couldn't stand up straight for 5 days. One and a half years later, I had a CT and it shows fibroids in my uterus and one that is growing on my right ovary. It is 3.2 x 2.6 cm and it looks like my need to save my uterus and an ovary was a painful waste of time. I am in agony and I pay for my decision every month, sometimes all month. It was not worth it for me.

Comment from: Bonnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had my fibroids removed in December 2013 and was told that I would not have any pain after a month. So far I have the period from then for two months and always have pain in my pelvis area. It feels like they did not remove anything. Now I have to go back and get other ultrasound, because the area around the left ovary side is swollen and looks bruised. I'm not sure if I made the right decision, because I am still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: Josephine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

After I had my fourth late term miscarriage I was diagnosed with a large intramural fibroid, and was told it was the cause of my miscarriages. I was warned the likelihood of me carrying a baby to term was slim. Eight years after the initial diagnosis and my last miscarriage at 24 weeks I became surprisingly pregnant at 40. It was a long hard, very difficult pregnancy and half way through the fibroid started to degenerate causing agony of the likes I have never known. During my emergency C-section the doctors were shocked to find this huge cystic fibroid the same size as my baby inside me. But thankfully I delivered safely and my son is one week old today.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

After my D&C to remove fibroids I have had no energy and it has been two and half weeks. I need my energy back.

Comment from: metlmama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

One week ago today, I had a partial hysterectomy. I had a large fibroid mass in my uterus. They left my ovaries and fallopian tubes but took my uterus & cervix. I am feeling good now. I feel a little swollen right now but it has only been a week since my surgery. I am going to really enjoy not having to deal with pain, periods, birth control, anemia, and the expense of feminine products. I am very happy that I had this done.

Comment from: melany, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

Recently I had a fibroid removal operation. During my post-op checkup, my doctor said that, while removing the fibroids, he saw that my tubes and intestines were together. He is recommending another operation to separate the two. I don't have a child and am wondering if I will be able to get pregnant after both surgeries.

Uterine Fibroids Slideshow