Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors in the womb (uterus). Most uterine fibroids do not cause symptoms; however, if the fibroid is large enough and in the right location, it may cause symptoms of pelvic pain, abnormal vaginal bleeding, and pressure on the bladder or rectum.
Uterine fibroids that remain small and do not grow usually do not need treatment; however, surgery to remove the fibroid may be necessary. Uterine fibroids do not cause cancer; however, there is a rare, fast-growing cancerous called leiomyosarcoma.Read more: Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stages of Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trimester Images
See pictures on the various stages of pregnancy. See and learn what changes a woman's body goes through and view fetal images of...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension): Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
What causes high blood pressure (hypertension)? Know the warning signs and symptoms of high blood pressure. Read about high blood...
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
Endometriosis Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
What is endometriosis? Endometriosis is an abnormal growth of endometrial cells like those found in a woman's uterus. Learn about...
What Are Uterine Fibroids? Symptoms, Treatment, Pictures
What are uterine fibroids? Who gets uterine fibroids, and how can you prevent them? Learn about uterine fibroid treatments, from...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Causes
Take this quiz and test your IQ of high blood pressure (hypertension), the cardiovascular disease that causes most strokes and...
Picture of Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus (the womb) and the single most common indication for hysterectomy. See a picture...
Related Disease Conditions
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Bleeding During Pregnancy (First Trimester)
Bleeding during pregnancy is never normal. Causes of bleeding during the first trimester of a pregnancy may be caused by...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Spotting vs. Period (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Menstruation (a female's "period") occurs due to the shedding of the lining of the uterus. Menstrual bleeding lasts about...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Benign uterine growths are tissue enlargements of the female womb (uterus). Three types of benign uterine growths are uterine...
Premature Menopause (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Premature menopause is when menopause occurs in a woman before the age of 40. Causes of premature menopause include premature...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Hair Loss, Fibroids May Have Links in Black Women
- Cancer Risk From Fibroid-Removal Tool Still Too High, FDA Says
- Many U.S. Women Unaware of Fibroid Treatments: Poll
- Less Invasive Procedure May Treat Fibroids Without Harming Fertility
- Health Tip: Watch for Uterine Fibroids
- Less-Invasive Fibroid Treatment May Be 'Under-Used'
- Use of Cancer-Linked Fibroid Device Declines After FDA Warning
- FDA OKs 'Containment' Bag for Certain Uterine Surgeries
- Women's Sex Lives Get a Boost After Non-Surgical Fibroid Treatment
- Are Women the Key to Unlocking Alzheimer's?
- Hormones Tied to Uterine Fibroid Risk in Study
- Doctors Rally in Support of Fibroid Device Curbed by FDA
- First Uterus Transplant Planned in U.S.
- Women's Pelvic Pain Often Unreported
- Low Cancer Risk With Device Used to Remove Fibroids, Study Finds
- FDA Adds 'Boxed Warning' to Devices Used to Remove Uterine Fibroids
- J&J Pulls Hysterectomy Tool Tied to Cancer Risk From Market
- Technique Used in Some Hysterectomies May Help Spread Cancer: Study
- FDA Advisers Weigh Risks of Procedure for Removal of Uterine Fibroids
- Most Women Don't Need Regular Pelvic Exams, New Guidelines State
- FDA Warns Against Procedure for Uterine Fibroids
- Uterine Fibroids Take Heavy Toll on Women, Survey Finds
- Vitamin D May Help Prevent Uterine Fibroids
- Childhood Abuse May Be Tied to Uterine Fibroids: Study
- Scientists Uncover Genetic Link for Uterine Fibroids
- Is Combining Hysterectomy and a Tummy Tuck Safe?
- New Drug Treats Fibroids With Fewer Side Effects
- Uterine Fibroids Cost Billions in U.S. Health Care, Lost Work: Report
- Gene Mutation Found in Uterine Fibroids
- No-Scalpel Treatment for Enlarged Prostate
- Pill Treats Painful Fibroids