Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that originate in the uterus and are usually round or semi-round in shape. The most common symptom of a uterine fibroid is abnormal vaginal bleeding. Other symptoms include pressure, pelvic pain, pressure on the bladder, or pain during a bowel movement. Treatment options vary from surgery to medication. Read more: Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
What Are Uterine Fibroids? Symptoms, Treatment, Pictures
What are uterine fibroids? Who gets uterine fibroids, and how can you prevent them? Learn about uterine fibroid treatments, from...
Picture of Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus (the womb) and the single most common indication for hysterectomy. See a picture...
Related Disease Conditions
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Ectopic Pregnancy (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Placenta previa is a condition during pregnancy when the placenta lies low in the uterus either partly or completely blocking the...
Benign uterine growths are tissue enlargements of the female womb (uterus). Three types of benign uterine growths are uterine...
Premature Menopause (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Premature menopause is when menopause occurs in a woman before the age of 40. Causes of premature menopause include premature...
Spotting vs. Period (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Menstruation (a female's "period") occurs due to the shedding of the lining of the uterus. Menstrual bleeding lasts about...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Getting Pregnant (Tips for Trying to Conceive)
Trying to get conceive, or become pregnant can be challenging, frustrating, and an emotional rollercoaster for some couples. A...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Uterine Fibroids - Experience
Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).Post View 178 Comments
Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms
What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?Post View 146 Comments
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment
What was the treatment for your uterine fibroidsPost View 12 Comments
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery
If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?Post View 18 Comments
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis
What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?Post View 8 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- CA 125
- Endometrial Ablation
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Dilation and Curettage (D&C)
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Hormone Therapy
- Laparoscopically Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy (LAVH)
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Pelvic Exam
- C-Section (Cesarean Birth)
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Many U.S. Women Unaware of Fibroid Treatments: Poll
- Less Invasive Procedure May Treat Fibroids Without Harming Fertility
- Health Tip: Watch for Uterine Fibroids
- Less-Invasive Fibroid Treatment May Be 'Under-Used'
- Use of Cancer-Linked Fibroid Device Declines After FDA Warning
- FDA OKs 'Containment' Bag for Certain Uterine Surgeries
- Women's Sex Lives Get a Boost After Non-Surgical Fibroid Treatment
- Are Women the Key to Unlocking Alzheimer's?
- Hormones Tied to Uterine Fibroid Risk in Study
- Doctors Rally in Support of Fibroid Device Curbed by FDA
- First Uterus Transplant Planned in U.S.
- Women's Pelvic Pain Often Unreported
- Low Cancer Risk With Device Used to Remove Fibroids, Study Finds
- FDA Adds 'Boxed Warning' to Devices Used to Remove Uterine Fibroids
- J&J Pulls Hysterectomy Tool Tied to Cancer Risk From Market
- Technique Used in Some Hysterectomies May Help Spread Cancer: Study
- FDA Advisers Weigh Risks of Procedure for Removal of Uterine Fibroids
- Most Women Don't Need Regular Pelvic Exams, New Guidelines State
- FDA Warns Against Procedure for Uterine Fibroids
- Uterine Fibroids Take Heavy Toll on Women, Survey Finds
- Vitamin D May Help Prevent Uterine Fibroids
- Childhood Abuse May Be Tied to Uterine Fibroids: Study
- Scientists Uncover Genetic Link for Uterine Fibroids
- Is Combining Hysterectomy and a Tummy Tuck Safe?
- New Drug Treats Fibroids With Fewer Side Effects
- Uterine Fibroids Cost Billions in U.S. Health Care, Lost Work: Report
- Gene Mutation Found in Uterine Fibroids
- No-Scalpel Treatment for Enlarged Prostate
- Pill Treats Painful Fibroids
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter