Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50, having endometrial hyperplasia, using hormone replacement therapy, obesity, using tamoxifen, being Caucasian, and/or having colorectal cancer. Symptoms of cancer of the uterus (endometrial cancer) include abnormal vaginal bleeding, painful urination, painful intercourse, and pelvic pain. Treatment depends on staging and may include radiation therapy or hormone therapy. Read more: Uterine Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Picture of Uterine Cancer
A malignant tumor of the uterus (womb), which occurs most often in women between the ages of 55 and 70. Abnormal bleeding after...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Related Disease Conditions
Spotting vs. Period (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Menstruation (a female's "period") occurs due to the shedding of the lining of the uterus. Menstrual bleeding lasts about...
Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis)
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)
Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors in the womb (uterus). Most uterine fibroids do not cause symptoms; however, if...
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Internal Bleeding (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment)
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Lymphedema is a condition in which one or more extremities become swollen as the result of an impaired flow of the lymphatic...
Benign uterine growths are tissue enlargements of the female womb (uterus). Three types of benign uterine growths are uterine...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Premature Menopause (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Premature menopause is when menopause occurs in a woman before the age of 40. Causes of premature menopause include premature...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow and how abnormal they look under a...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
Endometrial Cancer Prevention
Endometrial cancer, or uterine cancer, affects the endometrium of the uterus. It's the most common invasive cancer of the female...
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- CA 125
- D and C (Dilation and Curettage)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Pap Smear
- Endometrial Ablation
- Endometrial Biopsy (Procedure)
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Laparoscopically Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy (LAVH)
- Hormonal Methods of Birth Control
- Hormone Therapy
- Screening Tests for Cancer
- Radiation Therapy
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- HPV Test
- Cancer FAQs
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- Osteoporosis - EVISTA..... Wellness for Women?
- Cancer Care in the Elderly
- Endometrial Cancer Symptoms
- Can an Endometrial Biopsy Diagnose Uterine Cancer?
- Complementary and Alternative Cancer Treatments
- Weight Gain, Obesity & Cancer Risk
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
Medications & Supplements
- Birth Control Pills (List of Oral Contraceptives and Side Effects)
- medroxyprogesterone - oral, Provera
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- Dilaudid vs. Fentanyl (Pain Strength Comparison and Side Effects)
- tamoxifen (Soltamox, Nolvadex)
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- medroxyprogesterone, Provera, Depo-Provera, Depo-Sub Q Provera 104
- granisetron transdermal system (patch), Sancuso
Prevention & Wellness
- Obesity May Be Driving Rise in Uterine Cancers
- Obamacare May Have Helped More Women Spot Cancer Early
- Early Success in Artificial Ovary Research
- U.S. Cancer Death Rate Continues to Fall
- Weight Loss Tied to Lower Risk of Uterine Cancer
- Tamoxifen OK for Breast Cancer Patients Without Uterine Abnormalities: Study
- Excess Weight Tied to Higher Risk for Many Cancers, Experts Say
- Gene Tied to Breast Cancer Raises Uterine Cancer Risk Too
- First Uterus Transplant Planned in U.S.
- Black Women Less Likely to Survive Uterine Cancer, Study Finds
- Birth Control Pills May Cut Women's Odds for Uterine Cancer
- Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Odds of Uterine Cancer
- Coffee Linked to Possible Lower Endometrial Cancer Risk
- Cluster of Heart Risk Factors Tied to Uterine Cancer Risk
- Bone Drugs May Protect Against Endometrial Cancer
- Technique Used in Some Hysterectomies May Help Spread Cancer: Study
- 'Generally Reassuring' Findings on Fertility Drugs, Women's Cancers
- Soy Foods Don't Seem to Protect Against Uterine Cancer: Researchers
- For Women's Cancers, Where You're Treated Matters
- Drug Arimidex Cuts Risk for Breast Cancer in Older, High-Risk Women: Study
- Sodas, Other Sweet Drinks Tied to Higher Risk for Endometrial Cancer
- FDA OKs Drug to Treat Hot Flashes in Menopausal Women
- Nearly 60 Percent of Uterine Cancer Cases Preventable: Report
- Pap Test to Detect Ovarian, Endometrial Cancers?
- Keeping Fit May Boost Survival With Endometrial Cancer
- Hormone Therapy in Early Menopause May Benefit Some Women: Study
- Childbirth After 30 Lowers Risk of Endometrial Cancer: Study
- Medical Groups Agree on Use of Hormone-Replacement Therapy
- Long-Term Estrogen Therapy Does Up Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Estrogen After Hysterectomy Lowers Cancer Risk?
- New Guidelines to Help Breast Cancer Survivors
- Research Sheds Light on Gene Mutation's Role in Rare Tumors
- Coffee May Cut Endometrial Cancer Risk
- Estrogen-Only HRT Not So Risky in 50s
- Exercise Recommended for Cancer Patients
- Removing Lymph Nodes May Boost Endometrial Cancer Survival
- Obesity Greatly Raises Endometrial Cancer Risk
- Ovary Removal May Not Be Needed in Endometrial Cancer
- Cancer Treatment: Getting the Support You Need
- Chemotherapy: Eating Well
- Cancer Treatment: Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Cancer Treatment: Pre-Treatment Eating Tips
- Whole Body Scanning, Do You Really Need One?
- Pain Control Record Chart
- Cancer and Sexual Health
- Chemotherapy and Other Cancer Treatment Side Effects