Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are very common in children. Symptoms and signs include fever and abdominal pain. Associated symptoms and signs include flank pain, vomiting, and blood in the urine. Treatment for a UTI involves antibiotic therapy. Read more: Urinary Tract Infections in Children Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Urinary Tract Infection Quiz
How would you know if you had urinary tract infection (UTI)? Take the Urinary Tract Infection in Adult Quiz to learn the causes,...
Picture of Bladder
The urinary bladder is a muscular sac in the pelvis, just above and behind the pubic bone. See a picture of the Bladder and learn...
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Symptoms, Diagnosis, Medication
Understand urinary tract infection (UTI) through pictures. Our experts describe urinary tract infection symptoms like pelvic...
Bladder Infections: UTI Causes, Symptoms, Treatments
Urinary tract infections (UTI), including bladder infections, affect women and men, causing UTI symptoms like kidney infection....
Related Disease Conditions
Interstitial Cystitis (IC)
Interstitial cystitis (IC)/painful bladder syndrome (PBS) is an inflammatory disease of the bladder that can cause ulceration and...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Blood in Urine
Blood in the urine is termed hematuria. Hematuria, whether it be gross or microscopic, is abnormal and should be further...
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Bedwetting, or nocturnal enuresis, is the accidental passage of urine while asleep. There are two types of bedwetting: primary...
Pinworm infection is an intestinal infection caused by a pinworm, seatworm, or threadworm. Female pinworms leave the intestine...
Cerebral palsy (CP) is an abnormality of motor function and postural tone acquired at an early age (even before birth). Cerebral...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis) usually is caused from bacteria that have spread from the bladder from a UTI (urinary tract...
Nerve Disease and Bladder Control
A nerve problem might affect your bladder control if the nerves that are supposed to carry messages between the brain and the...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy occurs in women during perimenopause, menopause, and postmenopause. With vaginal atrophy, the...
A urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra, may cause decreased urine output. Symptoms include painful urination, urinary...
Urine Blockage in Newborns
There are many syndromes and defects that may cause urine blockage in newborns. Defects in the urinary tract that may cause urine...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
Kidney dysplasia is a condition in which one or both of a baby's kidneys do not develop normally. In kidney dysplasia, cysts...
CRE Infection (Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae)
Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) is a type of bacteria that is highly resistant to antibiotics. Escherichia coli (E....
Kidney Pain (Location, Symptoms, Relief)
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders, kidney stones, and less...
Is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Contagious?
Bacteria such as E. coli or Pseudomonas can cause a urinary tract infection (UTI). The incubation period for a UTI ranges from...
Is E. coli Contagious? (Symptoms and Cure)
E. coli is an infection found worldwide. There are several subtypes of the E. coli species. E. coli is transmitted from...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Urinary Tract Infections in Children - Experience
Has your child had a UTI? Please discuss your family's experience.Post
Urinary Tract Infections in Children - Symptoms
What were the symptoms associated with your child's urinary tract infection?Post View 4 Comments
Urinary Tract Infections in Children - Diagnosis
Please describe how your child's UTI was diagnosed.Post View 2 Comments
Urinary Tract Infections in Children - Treatments
What treatments were helpful in relieving your child's discomfort when he/she had a UTI?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Pain
- Blood in Urine
- Urinary Incontinence
- Vaginal Pain
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Children's Health: Beating the Bed-wetting Blues
- Buttock Pain
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- Neonatal Jaundice
- Difficulty Urinating
- Bladder Spasms
- Pelvic Pain
- Penile Pain
Medications & Supplements
- cephalexin, Keflex
- nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Furadantin, Macrobid)
- tolterodine, Detrol, Detrol LA
- phenazopyridine, Baridium, Pyridium, Urinary Pain Relief
- cranberry (vaccinium macrocarpon) - oral
- cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin, Banan) for Infections
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- norfloxacin, Noroxin
- levofloxacin (Levaquin) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- Cipro vs. Flagyl (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
- Cipro vs. Levaquin: Differences Between Side Effects, Uses, and Strength
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
Prevention & Wellness
- Antibiotic Resistance Common in Kids' Urinary Tract Infections
- Cranberry Juice for Urinary Tract Infection?
- Health Tip: Spotting Signs of Urinary Tract Infection
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Urinary Tract Infections Among Children
- Childhood Urinary Tract Infection May Bring Lasting Harm to Kidneys
- Cranberries Little Help Against UTIs
- Can Cranberries Fight Urinary Tract Infections?
- New Policy Supports Choice for Male Circumcision
- Uncircumcised Boys at Higher Risk for Infection: Study
- Cranberries Combat Urinary Tract Infections
- Germs Behind Urinary Tract Infections Becoming More Resistant to Drugs
- Smelly Urine a Red Flag for Kids' UTI
- Infections Might Raise Stroke Risk in Children: Study
- New Clues to Stubborn Urinary Tract Infections
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter