Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are very common in children. Symptoms and signs include fever and abdominal pain. Associated symptoms and signs include flank pain, vomiting, and blood in the urine. Treatment for a UTI involves antibiotic therapy. Read more: Urinary Tract Infections in Children Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Bladder Infections: UTI Causes, Symptoms, Treatments
Urinary tract infections (UTI), including bladder infections, affect women and men, causing UTI symptoms like kidney infection....
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Symptoms, Diagnosis, Medication
Understand urinary tract infection (UTI) through pictures. Our experts describe urinary tract infection symptoms like pelvic...
Urinary Tract Infection Quiz
How would you know if you had urinary tract infection (UTI)? Take the Urinary Tract Infection in Adult Quiz to learn the causes,...
Picture of Bladder
The urinary bladder is a muscular sac in the pelvis, just above and behind the pubic bone. See a picture of the Bladder and learn...
Related Disease Conditions
Kidney Pain (Location, Symptoms, Relief)
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders, kidney stones, and less common...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that...
Pinworms (Infection in Children and Adults, Enterobiasis)
Pinworm infection is an intestinal infection caused by a pinworm, seatworm, or threadworm. Female pinworms leave the intestine...
Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis) Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis) usually is caused from bacteria that have spread from the bladder from a UTI (urinary tract...
Blood in Urine
Blood in the urine is termed hematuria. Hematuria, whether it be gross or microscopic, is abnormal and should be further...
A urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra, may cause decreased urine output. Symptoms include painful urination, urinary...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
CRE Infection (Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae)
Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) is a type of bacteria that is highly resistant to antibiotics. Escherichia coli (E....
Is E. coli Contagious? (Symptoms and Cure)
E. coli is an infection found worldwide. There are several subtypes of the E. coli species. E. coli is transmitted from...
Is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Contagious?
Bacteria such as E. coli or Pseudomonas can cause a urinary tract infection (UTI). The incubation period for a UTI ranges from...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Interstitial Cystitis (IC) and Painful Bladder Syndrome (PBS)
Interstitial cystitis (IC)/painful bladder syndrome (PBS) is an inflammatory disease of the bladder that can cause ulceration and...
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Cerebral palsy (CP) is an abnormality of motor function and postural tone acquired at an early age (even before birth). Cerebral...
Vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy occurs in women during perimenopause, menopause, and postmenopause. With vaginal atrophy, the...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Kidney dysplasia is a condition in which one or both of a baby's kidneys do not develop normally. In kidney dysplasia, cysts...
Urine Blockage in Newborns
There are many syndromes and defects that may cause urine blockage in newborns. Defects in the urinary tract that may cause urine...
Bedwetting, or nocturnal enuresis, is the accidental passage of urine while asleep. There are two types of bedwetting: primary...
Nerve Disease and Bladder Control
A nerve problem might affect your bladder control if the nerves that are supposed to carry messages between the brain and the...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Pain
- Vaginal Pain
- Buttock Pain
- Penile Pain
- Difficulty Urinating
- Blood in Urine
- Pelvic Pain
- Urinary Incontinence
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Bladder Spasms
- Neonatal Jaundice
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Children's Health: Beating the Bed-wetting Blues
Medications & Supplements
- cephalexin (Keflex)
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
- nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Furadantin, Macrobid)
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
- Cipro vs. Flagyl (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin, Banan) for Infections
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- Cipro vs. Levaquin: Differences Between Side Effects, Uses, and Strength
- phenazopyridine (Pyridium)
- Cipro, XR (ciprofloxacin) vs. Keflex (cephalexin)
- levofloxacin (Levaquin) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- tolterodine (Detrol)
- cranberry (vaccinium macrocarpon) - oral
- norfloxacin, Noroxin
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- Diflucan vs. Ketoconazole
- Diflucan vs. itraconazole
Prevention & Wellness
- Kids Can Get UTIs, Too
- Are Kids' Ball Pits Jumping With Germs?
- Health Tip: UTI Warning Signs
- Infections in the Young May Be Tied to Risk for Mental Illness: Study
- Tough-to-Treat UTIs More Likely to Recur
- Drinking Enough Water Could Be Key to Avoiding UTIs
- Health Tip: Recognize Signs of a Urinary Tract Infection
- Antibiotic Resistance Common in Kids' Urinary Tract Infections
- Cranberry Juice for Urinary Tract Infection?
- Health Tip: Spotting Signs of Urinary Tract Infection
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Urinary Tract Infections Among Children
- Childhood Urinary Tract Infection May Bring Lasting Harm to Kidneys
- Cranberries Little Help Against UTIs
- Can Cranberries Fight Urinary Tract Infections?
- New Policy Supports Choice for Male Circumcision
- Uncircumcised Boys at Higher Risk for Infection: Study
- Cranberries Combat Urinary Tract Infections
- Germs Behind Urinary Tract Infections Becoming More Resistant to Drugs
- Smelly Urine a Red Flag for Kids' UTI
- Infections Might Raise Stroke Risk in Children: Study
- New Clues to Stubborn Urinary Tract Infections