Patient Comments: Urinary Tract Infections - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: MCG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

Apple cider vinegar has been effective for my urinary tract infection. I've gotten them my whole life, I'm 28 and that works the best and fastest. D-mannose also works for most people. I switch between the two for maintenance.

Comment from: Concerned mother, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: February 21

My child developed urinary tract infection (UTI) after school imposed restrictions on a restroom use. She was prescribed Macrodantin, developed yeast infection and for 10 months we went from doctor to doctor without any improvement. After a second course of Macrodantin our child developed diabetes insipidus. I was exhausted with useless trips to doctors and developed anxiety over his acquired conditions, and did extensive research on home remedies, and can recommend Uva Ursi for managing mild UTI (my child took half of adult dose, without complete improvement, and we increased to adult dose). Because his UTI was going on for 12 month and Uva Ursi did not produce complete cure, we tried organic buchu leaf extract, and I will highly recommended that treatment to anyone. So far it has been the most effective treatment without any undesirable side effects.

Comment from: Bic, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Everyone swears by cream of tartar for urinary tract infections! It works! Also try colloidal silver instead of harmful antibiotics. Levaquin is very bad! You do not develop antibiotic resistance with colloidal silver. Good luck people.

Comment from: shirleybird, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have used D Mannose powder to treat UTI with excellent results. My stomach doesn't tolerate antibiotics well, so found this treatment on the Internet. I also had to buy it on the Internet, but some health food stores carry it. I recommend the powder over the capsules. You may want to research the dosage and for more info on how it works, but I used 1 teaspoon in a beverage every 4 hours for several days...and decreased the dosage after a week or so. This works if the infection is caused by e. coli, I understand, so if it doesn't help after a couple days, I would go to the doctor. It can be pricey, but worth it in my opinion!

Comment from: Nurse 47, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I had UTI's for years, sometimes 6 times a year and always very painful. I have not had one for about 10 years now and all I do is whenever I can, I use the toilet for a bowel mmovement in the morning BEFORE I shower. If I find I need to go again later in the day I always clean myself (most often I use unscented wipes). It's really no secret, just personal hygiene. You may prefer to shower but sometimes this is not practical. These practices ensure that if you are sexually active there is minimal E Coli bacteria in the genital area. Try it, it works for me and others I have told!

Comment from: Em22, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I get urinary tract infections (UTIs) pretty much every single month. It's beginning to get predictable which is sad. I'm so fed up with what to do anymore. I take cranberry pill everyday along with Elmiron and dicyclomine. I also have stage 3 kidney disease which is stable right now.

Comment from: Nelly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have been getting urinary tract infection almost every 2 months. I just bought D-Mannose to try. I am not sure if it will help. I am fed up with antibiotics, they are affecting me badly.

Published: September 17

i have been getting UTI's lately and I'm not sure why, especially since I have no real history of it. I was told to try D Mannose, along with cranberry tablets, which worked very well for me. I was told the bacteria can only survive within a narrow PH range, so if you make your urine more acidic, with cranberry, or more alkaline, it will help get rid of it.

Comment from: Schanaee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

To get rid of the pain I gently boil parsley for about 10 to 15 minutes and drink the tea. Dried parsley leaves also work. I even add some sugar to make it more pleasant. But it will not cure the urinary tract infection, it will only ease the pain until you see a doctor.

Comment from: Amber, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My daughter is 8 years old and she keeps getting UTIs (urinary tract infections) every 4 or so weeks, or less. It's always having to go to the emergency room because we don't have a family doctor. I give her one cranberry pill a day when she gets it but she says it only lasts a while, then that's when we end up going to the doctor.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Antibiotics is the only thing that works for me. I have kidney disease and am on dialysis, so I get it frequently.

Comment from: Coqui, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I take cranberry pills as a preventative (one a day) against UTIs. When I start having symptoms (which is usually every couple of months and has been going on for 20 years), I start taking a couple of cranberry pills every half hour until the symptoms disappear, or if I want a faster relief, I take Cipro twice a day for five days. I would love for these to be gone forever or to know other things I could do to prevent them.

Comment from: Ash, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

It is 6 a.m., and I have been up since 3 a.m. with this UTI. I am 21 years old and have had UTI occurrences since I was 15. It has become worse over the last six months. For me, antibiotics work; however, I feel that I need something that will last longer. I can't keep running to the doctor every four weeks. Levaquin is great, but it takes too long. Sometimes my doctor gives me a shot right away, which relieves pain fast.

Comment from: dema, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I had a urinary tract infection before and got ok after taking medicine. Now again I am suffering from it.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had UTI (urinary tract infection) since May. I have been put on oral antibiotics but nothing works. Then I was put on IV antibiotics and I still have the infection the day after 5 days of IV treatment. Blood and urine were tested and I still had infection.

Comment from: Molly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

There is an over the counter med called Uristat that works fast for the pain. But it won't cure the infection.

Comment from: Felice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I will take 2 cranberry pills a day, everyday and my probiotic and keep drinking water!!

Comment from: utilaidmelow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Felt great pressure in my pelvic area. I felt the need to urinate twice in an hour and I felt the pressure to go, then when I went, there was hardly any urine. I was constantly drinking fluids. It felt like gas and I was constipated for a week. During my cycle, over a 48 hour period, I was in so much pain on my lower right side front and back that I thought a cyst had burst in my fallopian tube. I had to take Vicodin to ease the pain and put me to sleep. Took a hot bath and vomited. I had never had a UTI so was unsure of what could be wrong. My blood pressure spiked to 170/97 and I don't have HBP, so it was strange. Plus I had a headache on one side of my head. I finally went to emergency room and they gave me pain meds and antibiotics for three days. I am amazed that I didn't have a stroke. The pain over 48 hours in my abdomen was worse than giving birth. I thought I would die and not be able to endure that pain. Normally I drink cranberry juice daily, it's my favorite drink. I went without it for about two weeks and look what happened. I drank water, a few sodas, grape juice, apple juice and orange juice instead. From now on back to cranberry juice, I believe that has kept me from getting UTIs all of these years.

Comment from: catfreak, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

In the last six months, I have suffered through two bouts with a UTI. The first was treated effectively with Cipro, however, the Cipro was extremely hard on my stomach. Number two was treated with Bactrim and seems to have cured the infection for several months now.

Comment from: rcrossett, 45-54 Female Published: June 14

Someone at work told me to put a teaspoon of cream of tartar in just a few inches of water and drink it a couple times a day for just a couple of days the next time I got a UTI and I did. It really works, but I don't know why.

Comment from: Sofi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Lemon juice is quite effective in curing UTI. Add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice to 8 oz of water and drink it. Do this 3 to 4 times a day. It will cure UTI. Lemon juice acidifies urine and gets rid of bacteria.

Comment from: finally gone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had UTIs for 6 months in a row. The doctor kept giving me antibiotics, and those were messing my body up even further. I began researching myself online and really paying attention to what was coming into contact with my groin area. I changed soaps to organic, changed undies to all cotton, began wearing deodorant in the thigh crease, and nothing worked. Then I changed condoms to a spermicide-free variety, and they have not recurred! I must allergic to the spermicide, or whatever. To think all those months of antibiotics and visits to the doctor, and in the end I had to figure it out myself.

Comment from: Samantha Jones, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I have been suffering with UTIs for the past year. Over the years I have kept quiet about the infections and was a little embarrassed. Since seeing a consultant, I feel a lot happier in myself and am starting to get my life back on track. I am on another course of antibiotics now and things seem to be improving.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I'm 72 and have had problems with my urinary tract for most of my life. Finally I found a urologist who was able to fix this problem. She prescribed doxycycline 50mg every night for about 8 weeks. The problem resolved itself after this treatment. I have a supply of doxycycline that I can take if I have any recurrences, which so far has only happened one time, and I don't know why it happened. I started back on the doxycycline every night for 10 days, and I am now feeling fine. I believe my problem is more of a urethral inflammation that turns into a bladder irritation and it is very uncomfortable and makes me very anxious. I'm glad I finally went to the right doctor who figured out what to do for me. She also prescribed cranberry capsules every day

Published: October 06

the best thing that works for me is Bactrim. I get UTIs very badly and that takes it away in 1 day or less. Very effective.

Comment from: maggie, 75 or over Female Published: March 22

I have been plagued with bladder infections now for a number of years. For awhile I was having one every two to three months. I was taking antibiotics pretty regularly and not liking to do so. I also was put in the hospital for a severe allergic reaction on one of those antibiotics. This is what has been working for me: AZO Cranberry Pills. I started buying the one that includes the Vitamin C and the probiotics (it is important to buy the one that contains these). I take two after breakfast and two before bedtime with a full glass of water. I have to take this longer than with an antibiotic -maybe 10 days- but I guarantee this gets rid of my bladder infection and now I only have one or two infections a year. No more antibiotics! I now, always, have AZO on hand. Hope this helps.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter