A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that lives in the bowel and near the anus, causes most UTIs. UTI symptoms include pain, abdominal pain, mild fever, urinary urgency and frequency. Treatment involves a course of antibiotics. Read more: Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Urinary Tract Infection Quiz
How would you know if you had urinary tract infection (UTI)? Take the Urinary Tract Infection in Adult Quiz to learn the causes,...
Picture of Bladder
The urinary bladder is a muscular sac in the pelvis, just above and behind the pubic bone. See a picture of the Bladder and learn...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
Diverticulitis (diverticulosis) is a condition in which the diverticulum or diverticula rupture in the colon causing infection....
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Symptoms, Diagnosis, Medication
Understand urinary tract infection (UTI) through pictures. Our experts describe urinary tract infection symptoms like pelvic...
Urinary Incontinence in Women: Types, Causes, and Treatments for Bladder Control
Urinary incontinence in women is a common problem. Overactive bladder (OAB), stress incontinence, and urge incontinence can be...
Bladder Infections: UTI Causes, Symptoms, Treatments
Urinary tract infections (UTI), including bladder infections, affect women and men, causing UTI symptoms like kidney infection....
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Related Disease Conditions
Urinary Tract Infection in Adults
Second Source article from Government...
Interstitial Cystitis (IC)
Interstitial cystitis (IC)/painful bladder syndrome (PBS) is an inflammatory disease of the bladder that can cause ulceration and...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)
Most people with diverticulosis have few if any symptoms at all. When people do experience signs and symptoms of diverticulosis...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Blood in Urine
Blood in the urine is termed hematuria. Hematuria, whether it be gross or microscopic, is abnormal and should be further...
Kidney stones are solid masses of crystalline material that form in the kidneys. Symptoms of kidney stones can include pain,...
Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is characterized by numerous cysts in the kidneys. Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic...
Prostatitis (Inflammation of the Prostate Gland)
Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate gland. Causes of prostatitis include STDs, bacteria from urinary tract...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Group B Strep
Group B strep are bacteria called Streptococcus agalactiae that may sometimes cause infections both in a pregnant woman and her...
Enlarged Prostate (BPH, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia)
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH or enlarged prostate) is very common in men over 50 years of age. Half of all men over the...
Hydronephrosis describes swelling of the kidney resulting from the inability of urine to drain from the kidney into the bladder....
Bedwetting, or nocturnal enuresis, is the accidental passage of urine while asleep. There are two types of bedwetting: primary...
Pinworm infection is an intestinal infection caused by a pinworm, seatworm, or threadworm. Female pinworms leave the intestine...
Chlamydia in Women (Symptoms and Cures)
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection,...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Microsporidiosis is an infection caused by the microsporidia parasite. The disease is uncommon in people with normal immune...
Overactive Bladder (OAB)
Overactive bladder is a sudden involuntary contraction of the muscle wall of the bladder causing urinary urgency (an immediate...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Testicular Pain (Pain in the Testicles)
Testicular pain, or pain in the testicle or testicles are caused by a variety of diseases or conditions such as testicular...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes
Having diabetes can mean early onset and increased severity of bladder symptoms (urinary incontinence and urinary tract...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis) usually is caused from bacteria that have spread from the bladder from a UTI (urinary tract...
Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE)
Vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) infection is the most common type of infection acquired by patients while hospitalized....
Adenovirus infection, particularly Ad14, or the "killer cold virus" has been on the increase in the past two years. Symptoms...
Urinary Incontinence in Children
Urinary incontinence in children (enuresis) is twice as common in boys as in girls and may occur during the daytime or nighttime....
Urinary Incontinence in Women
Millions of women suffer from urinary incontinence (UI). UI occurs twice as often in women as in men. There are many types of...
Sepsis (blood poisoning) is a potentially deadly infection with signs and symptoms that include elevated heart rate, low or high...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Osteomyelitis is an infection of the bone. Potential causes include injections around the bone, fractures that puncture the skin,...
Urinary Tract Infections in Children
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are very common in children. Symptoms and signs include fever and abdominal pain. Associated...
Urinary retention (inability to urinate) may be caused by nerve disease, spinal cord injury, prostate enlargement, infection,...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Urethral cancer is a rare form of cancer that primarily affects white females, people over 60 years of age, and those who have...
A urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra, may cause decreased urine output. Symptoms include painful urination, urinary...
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC)
Enterovirulent Escherichia coli (E. coli) are strains of related bacteria that have a strong propensity to cause gastrointestinal...
NDM-1 (New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase) is an enzyme produced by certain strains of bacteria that have recently acquired the...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
Kidney dysplasia is a condition in which one or both of a baby's kidneys do not develop normally. In kidney dysplasia, cysts...
CRE Infection (Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae)
Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) is a type of bacteria that is highly resistant to antibiotics. Escherichia coli (E....
Kidney Pain (Location, Symptoms, Relief)
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders, kidney stones, and less...
Is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Contagious?
Bacteria such as E. coli or Pseudomonas can cause a urinary tract infection (UTI). The incubation period for a UTI ranges from...
Is E. coli Contagious? (Symptoms and Cure)
E. coli is an infection found worldwide. There are several subtypes of the E. coli species. E. coli is transmitted from...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Prostatitis vs. BPH (Enlarged Prostate) Differences and Similarities
Prostatitis and BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia, enlarged prostate gland) are both conditions of the prostate gland. There...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes is a disease where your body does not make enough insulin or does not use insulin correctly, and you blood sugar...
Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms
What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?Post View 90 Comments
Urinary Tract Infections - Treatments
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection?Post View 48 Comments
Urinary Tract Infections - Experience
Please describe your experience with urinary tract infections.Post View 18 Comments
Urinary Tract Infections - Home Remedies
What home remedies have been helpful in treating a urinary tract infection?Post View 18 Comments
Urinary Tract Infections - Medications
What medications have been effective in treating a urinary tract infection?Post View 2 Comments
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Breastfeeding (and Formula Feeding)
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Circumcision: Medical Pros and Cons
- Circumcision: The Surgical Procedure
- Barrier Methods of Birth Control
- Cystoscopy and Ureteroscopy
- Douching (Vaginal Douche)
- Urinary Incontinence Products for Men
- Pregnancy: Prenatal Care and Tests
- Urodynamic Testing
- Blood in Urine
- Burning Urination
- Frequent Urination
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Dark Urine
- Cloudy Urine
- Drainage of Pus
- Testicular Pain (Pain in the Testicles)
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- Difficulty Urinating
- Urinary Urgency
- Penile Discharge
- Bladder Spasms
- Pelvic Pain
- Groin Pain
Medications & Supplements
- nitrofurantoin - oral, Macrodantin
- cefadroxil - oral, Duricef
- cefixime - oral, Suprax
- nitrofurantoin suspension - oral, Furadantin
- cefixime suspension - oral, Suprax
- nitrofurantoin/nitrofurantoin macrocrystals - oral, Macrobid
- cefadroxil suspension - oral, Duricef
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, Augmentin XR, Augmentin ES-600, Amoclan
- cefaclor, Raniclor
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- Cipro, Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) Antibiotic
- Diflucan (fluconazole)
- erythromycin, Ery-Tab, PCE
- ofloxacin, Floxin (Discontinued Brand)
- cephalexin, Keflex
- cefixime (Suprax)
- Primsol (trimethoprim)
- sulfamethoxazole, Gantanol, Gantanol DS
- sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, Bactrim, Bactrim DS
- tetracycline (Sumycin [Discontinued])
- nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Furadantin, Macrobid)
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- Sulfonamides (Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Septra DS)
- phenazopyridine, Baridium, Pyridium, Urinary Pain Relief
- methenamine - oral, Hiprex, Mandelamine, Urex
- gentamicin injection (Garamycin)
- mesna - injection, Mesnex
- lactobacillus acidophilus
- cephradine - oral, Velosef
- cranberry (vaccinium macrocarpon) - oral
- bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi)-oral
- cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin, Banan) for Infections
- cycloserine - oral, Seromycin
- sulfamethoxazole (smz) with phenazopyridine-oral, Azo-Gantanol
- sulfisoxazole with phenazopyridine-oral, Azo-Gantrisin
- methylene blue - oral, Urolene Blue
- netilmicin sulfate-injection, Netromycin
- nalidixic acid-oral, Neggram
- amikacin sulfate, Amikin (discontinued)
- vancomycin/d5w - frozen piggyback injection, Vancocin
- cefepime - injection, Maxipime
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- norfloxacin, Noroxin
- tobramycin - injection, Nebcin
- flavoxate - oral, Urispas
- levofloxacin (Levaquin) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- Cipro vs. Flagyl (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
- Cipro vs. Levaquin: Differences Between Side Effects, Uses, and Strength
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
- Polymyxin B
- Cipro XR
- Azactam Injection
- Methylene Blue
- Augmentin XR
- Cipro IV
- Proquin XR
- Augmentin ES
- Vancomycin Injection
- Primaxin IV
- Prosed DS
Prevention & Wellness
- Did Your Urinary Infection Come From a Chicken Coop?
- Hate UTIs? One Simple Step Can Cut the Risk
- Coming Soon: A Faster Test for Antibiotics Against UTIs?
- 8 Ways College Women Can Protect Their Health
- Antibiotic Vabomere Approved
- FDA OKs New Antibacterial Drug
- Bike Fanatics Shouldn't Worry About Effects on Sexual Health
- Rude, Disrespectful Surgeons May Also Be More Error-Prone: Study
- Retail Health Clinics Fail to Curb Routine ER Visits, Study Finds
- Cranberry Products May Not Prevent UTIs: Study
- Protein in Breast Milk May Reduce Hospital Infections in Preemies
- Botox Beats Implant for Urinary Incontinence in Women
- 1 in 10 Stroke Rehab Interruptions May Be Preventable
- Too Few Female Urologists to Meet Aging Patients' Demand
- FDA Bolsters Warnings About Class of Antibiotics
- 1 in 10 Alzheimer's Patients at Risk for Avoidable Hospital Stays
- 'Managing' Elderly Patients Without Powerful Antipsychotics
- If 1st Baby's Early, 2nd Will Be Too: Study
- Dangerous Urinary Tract Infections Common in Nursing Homes
- Program Cut Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections
- Antibiotic Resistance Common in Kids' Urinary Tract Infections
- Cranberry Juice for Urinary Tract Infection?
- Persistent UTI Symptoms May Signal Bladder Cancer
- Improper Antibiotic Use Often Due to Misdiagnosis: Study
- Study Casts Doubt on Use of Common Antibiotic for UTIs in Women
- Health Tip: Spotting Signs of Urinary Tract Infection
- UTIs Are Getting Tougher to Treat
- Superbugs: What They Are and How You Get Them
- New Antibiotic Avycaz Approved
- 2 Deaths, Scores of Potential 'Superbug' Infections at UCLA Med Center
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Urinary Tract Infections Among Children
- Hospital Infection Rates Falling, But More Improvement Needed: CDC
- Heat Stroke, Kidney Failure Help Drive Illnesses From Extreme Heat
- Combination Antibiotic Zerbaxa Approved
- Circumcision Past Newborn Stage Poses Risk for Boys, Study Finds
- E-Doctors: Virtual Visits Give Patients Options
- Infection Rates in Nursing Homes on the Rise: Study
- Hospitals' High Antibiotic Use May Boost Germs' Resistance: Study
- Study Finds Drop in Kids' Hospital-Related Infections
- Childhood Urinary Tract Infection May Bring Lasting Harm to Kidneys
- Hospital-Related Infections Hit Nearly 650,000 Patients in 2011: CDC
- Study Finds Tonsillectomy Just as Safe for Adults as Kids
- Farxiga Approved for Type 2 Diabetes
- Survey Finds Widespread Contamination in Chicken
- E. Coli 'Superbug' May Pose Major Health Threat: Study
- Urinary Tract Infection Often Puts Older Men in Hospital
- Signs of Potential Trouble for Nursing Home Residents
- How Estrogen May Help Prevent Urinary Tract Infections After Menopause
- Can You Skip Antibiotics for Urinary Tract Infection?
- Could Adaptable Bacteria Cause Repeat Urinary Tract Infections?
- How Long Should Men's Urinary Infections Be Treated?
- Cranberries Little Help Against UTIs
- Botox Injections: Option for Urge Incontinence?
- U.S. Antibiotic Prescribing Rates Highest in South: Study
- Can Cranberries Fight Urinary Tract Infections?
- Burnt-Out Nurses Linked to More Hospital Infections
- Uncircumcised Boys at Higher Risk for Infection: Study
- Cranberries Combat Urinary Tract Infections
- 'Sling' Implant May Cut Risk of Incontinence After Prolapse Surgery
- Is Combining Hysterectomy and a Tummy Tuck Safe?
- Germs Behind Urinary Tract Infections Becoming More Resistant to Drugs
- Women Can Waive Test Before Incontinence Surgery: Study
- Smelly Urine a Red Flag for Kids' UTI
- E. Coli in Chicken Linked to Urinary Tract Infections
- Onfi Approved to Treat Severe Seizures
- New Drug May Help Treat Diabetes
- FDA Approves Prostate Cancer Drug Zytiga
- New Clues to Stubborn Urinary Tract Infections
- Health Tip: Symptoms That May Indicate a Urinary Tract Infection
- Foodborne E. Coli Suspected in Urinary Tract Infections
- Health Tip: What Causes Urinary Tract Infections in Women?
- Hospitals Score Poorly on Preventing Urinary Tract Infection
- Urinary Tract Infection May Raise Birth Defect Risk
- Health Tip: Avoid Urinary Tract Infections
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter