Patient Comments: Urinary Incontinence - Causes in Men


What was the cause of urinary incontinence in you or a male friend or relative? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Codger Bear, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I have found that my urinary problems diminished substantially when I eliminated soy from my diet. Along with this, I have no longer have chronic hoarseness. I doubt that eliminating soy is an answer for the majority of people, but it has made a big difference for me. Anyone deciding to try this will have to read food labels religiously, because soy ingredients are used in almost all bakery goods and in many other types of foods. In restaurants, you will find that allergen menus have very few soy-free options.

Comment from: The Guy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I am now 70 years old and I have developed urinary incontinence. Once I feel the urge to urinate it does not give me time to go to the bath room. As far as I remember in my young age I was not good enough to hold my urine, but not so much as the problem I have now. This problem happens gradually. I don't drink water regularly. I don't drink soda, I sometimes drink beer. I never had any kind of health issue, except now I have developed cholesterol and I am taking medication on regular basis, simvastatin 40 mg and for arthritis I take leflunomide 10 mg and prednisone 5 mg. I go to the bath room every 30 to 60 minutes day time and maybe 3 times night time. The reason for the problem I feel is that I sit long hours in a car because of my job's nature, limo driver. I cannot avoid that. I am still very active in all aspects, I walk fast, I swim, and physical functions still intact. New life style is I have become a coffee drinker which I never had before. I have been consuming soy milk a lot but now I stopped and substituted it with almond milk. And that is all for my coffee because I don't take dairy products during my fasting period. Now I feel that it is a concern. Thank you.

View Urinary Incontinence in Women Slideshow Pictures
FDA Logo

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.