Urethritis is inflammation of the urethra, the tube that leads from the bladder to the outside of the body. Urethritis occurs in both men and women and causes symptoms such as burning or pain during urination, the need to urinate frequently, feeling and urgent need to urinate, and the presence of blood or pus in the urine that can alter the color of the urine. Fever and chills can also accompany urethritis. In older adults, urinary tract infections, including urethritis, can cause a number of symptoms that include mental status changes and confusion. Urethritis often occurs together with inflammation of the bladder, known as cystitis.
Causes of urethritis
Other urethritis symptoms and signs
- Abdominal Pain
- Blood in Semen (Hematospermia)
- Blood in the Urine (Hematuria)
- Cloudy Urine
- Dark Urine
- Frequent Urination
- Genital Itching
- Painful Ejaculation
- Painful Intercourse
- Painful Urination (Dysuria)
- Pelvic Pain
- Penile Discharge
- Pus in the Urine
- Urinary Urgency
- Vaginal Discharge
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
12 Preventable STDs: Pictures, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia and genital herpes are common STDs. Think you might have an STD? You’re not alone....
Picture of Chlamydia
A type of bacteria which causes an infection very similar to gonorrhea in the way that it is spread, the symptoms it produces,...
Picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea)
A sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoea. See a picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea) and...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Examples of Medications for Urethritis Symptoms and Signs
- azithromycin (Zithromax): Potential COVID-19 Combo Drug
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Doryx)
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- fosfomycin tromethamine - oral, Monurol
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Furadantin, Macrobid)
- sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (Bactrim)