Upper respiratory infections (URI) are very common and include the common cold and flu. An upper respiratory infection is defined as an infection of any of the structures of the upper respiratory tract: the sinuses, nasal passages, pharynx, and larynx. Examples of specific types of upper respiratory infection include rhinitis (inflammation of the nasal cavity), sinusitis (sinus infection), nasopharyngitis (inflammation of the nasal cavity, pharynx, hypopharynx, uvula, and tonsils), pharyngitis (inflammation of the pharynx, uvula, and tonsils), laryngitis (inflammation of the larynx), and epiglottitis (inflammation of the upper portion of the larynx or the epiglottis). Viruses cause most upper respiratory infections, although bacteria and fungi can also infect these areas.
Other upper respiratory infection symptoms and signs
- Body Aches
- Breathing Difficulty
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes
- Enlarged Tonsils
- Facial Swelling
- Loss of Voice
- Nasal Congestion
- Nasal Discharge (Runny Nose)
- Painful Swallowing
- Postnasal Drip
- Scratchy Throat
- Sinus Pressure
- Sore Throat
- Watery Eyes
Main Article on Upper Respiratory Infection Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
Cold, Flu, and Cough: 13 Foods to Eat When Fighting the Flu
The best foods to eat when you have the flu soothe symptoms and help you feel better faster. Good foods to eat with the flu...
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
Examples of Medications for Upper Respiratory Infection Symptoms and Signs
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- Amoxicillin vs. Ceftin
- Amoxicillin vs. Ceftriaxone
- Amoxicillin vs. Penicillin
- Bactrim vs. Cefdinir
- Cipro (ciprofloxacin) Side Effects, Warnings, and Interactions
- Doxycycline vs. Azithromycin
- Doxycycline vs. Cipro
- Doxycycline vs. clindamycin
- Doxycycline vs. minocycline
- guaifenesin and phenylephrine, Sudafed PE Non-Drying Sinus Caplets, (Entex, discontinued)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin)
- Keflex vs. Penicillin
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) vs. Keflex (cephalexin)
- Levaquin vs. Zosyn
- Metronidazole vs. Ketoconazole
- pseudoephedrine (Oral, Afrinol, Sudafed)
- Side Effects of Bicillin C-R (penicillin g benzathine/penicillin g procaine)
- Suprax (cefixime) vs. cefuroxime
- Suprax (cefixime) vs. Keflex (cephalexin)
- Suprax (cefixime) vs. Rocephin (ceftriaxone)