Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your upper respiratory infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: sean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I get heat rash a lot in the summer and what works best for me is Neosporin plus pain relief. After applying within 10 minutes the pain is gone and it heals a lot faster as well. Give it a try, it works the best for me and it is cheap.

Comment from: Kate, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Ten days ago I breathed noxious smoke from mosquito coils. Next morning I had sore throat and chest heaviness. Third day I saw the doctor and was prescribed prednisone and asthma inhaler for the upper respiratory infection. Three days later I am coughing green/brown phlegm and nearly unable to move. Doctor prescribed Z-Pak, Perles cough syrup with codeine. I am still sick, coughing thick near colorless phlegm, tired all the time and hoping I will not always feel this way. Do not use these coils. Google search says very dangerous.

Comment from: She, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a cold, recovered, and then went on a cruise. Twenty four hours in, I developed an itchy throat and irritating cough. I made a doctor visit to find that I had developed my 1st URI (upper respiratory tract infections). He advised me to get some OTC Delsym and he prescribed a prescription cough suppressantbenzonatate. Now after using these 2 in conjunction, 3 days later I feel significantly better. It is better to avoid work if possible as URIs are contagious and this is also the time to avoid other people's germs as well.

Comment from: Sosophisticated, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had the misfortune of dealing with this upper respiratory infection in the cold months since I was about 2 years old. I was always in and out of the hospital getting cortisone and epinephrine shots because I was so bad. For the past couple of years I have been getting my flu shot in October and I have not had a bad case of this. I am on my 2nd day of medications and it is clearing up. The only thing that will help my infection/asthma is 70 mg of prednisone tapered down for 1 week. I start feeling better after the first dose because it stops the inflammation in the bronchioles, gets rid of the mucous and I can breathe again clearly along with taking my nebulizer.

Comment from: ronnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

For years I repeatedly had lung infections. I took antibiotics, which do nothing to correct the body's immune system. They tear down the digestive system, which causes asthma and upper respiratory infections (URI). I learned to take reishi, goldenseal and astragalus, plus various herbal teas, like pau d'Arco and suma. For a bad case, use colloidal silver, which I learned about from a doctor, Chinese herbalist / American herbalist / acupuncturist. You won't need a drug. I also do not take pain drugs. Allow the body to heat up to kill the germs.

Comment from: Sickofbeingsick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am so sick of being sick. Living in a homeless shelter, germs are abundant and I cannot afford any medicine. I have been hacking my brains out for the past month, and frankly, I never want to be sick again. Blech. I thought it was a cold, then bronchitis. Now I am leaning more towards an upper respiratory infection.

Comment from: scaredsick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My URI (upper respiratory infection) started 2 weeks ago as clogged ears and a mild fever of 99.4. So I finally took some clindamycin that I had left over, (I know, very bad). My ears drained into my chest and now I feel horrible. I just rubbed some Vicks on my chest, took 2 acetaminophen. I've been drinking water like crazy. I just got some Gatorade. I haven't felt this sick in a long time. The acetaminophen stops the chest pain when you cough and gag and make wonderful noises. It is hard to sleep!

Comment from: stroud, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I actually went to the doctor for my upper respiratory infection, because my ears and throat were so painful. I only had redness and swelling in the canals of my ears, my throat was quite swollen. The doctor wrote a prescription for 800 mgs of Motrin and the pain was gone within hours. I have been sick for around 10 days, can't seem to get rid of it but going back to work today. The cough is the worst, my rib cage feels like it is being crushed.

Comment from: MacDeez4, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My son was given Augmentin for the infection, Allegra-D for the sinus congestion, and Proventil to help open the chest airways, all to be taken for 10 days. Two days later, I contracted the upper respiratory infection.

Comment from: yeahyeahyeah, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Not too long ago, I exhibited symptoms of the flu. I had a sore throat, headaches, popping ears, and body aches. My doctor put me on amoxicillin. It worked like a charm.

Comment from: CR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have been to the doctor twice. First, he said it was a sinus infection and put me on a Z-pack. Then, my fever continued and I felt worse. He said I have let it just have to runs its course. I have no energy, my eyes are going to pop out of my head, I feel dizzy, am coughing, can't eat much, and I want to take naps. I had to cancel my vacation because of this. I'm not on any medications because I have issues with them. I'm just at a loss and feel like I'm not here.

Comment from: mamaof2, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My son is 3 months old and has an upper respiratory infection. He can't breathe, I can't get the nose sucker in his nose to suction the snot out. All they gave him was saline spray.

Comment from: worriedgirl, 19-24 Female Published: February 01

I went to see my doctor yesterday. I had a chest x-ray and CBC but all of the tests came back okay as my doctor said. So she suspected O had a URI. I had asthma since I was 5. I thought it was just a simple asthma attack then, so I used a nebulizer and took carbocesteine at home at first but it didn't work. I had shortness of breath and my moves were very limited as I got easily tired and had to nebulize again and again. The chest pain came and I felt it was very difficult to expel phlegm. I felt so scared for myself. My doctor prescribed me cefuroxime and ambroxol and I have to take my symbicort again for my asthma. I will take the medications later and hope it will help and get better in days.

Comment from: madeline34, 75 or over Female Published: January 09

I have been sick for about a week and saw a doctor yesterday. She prescribed Advair, which was too expensive. So being a senior citizen, I reverted back to the way my mother used to treat our respiratory problems. I greased my chest with Vicks Vaporub, placed a towel over the greased area, buttoned up my pajamas and put a heating pad on my chest. Be careful not to burn yourself. This morning I feel so much better and have even been able to cough up small amounts of phlegm.

Comment from: Roxanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have phlegm in the back of my throat that has been there for years. I had sinus surgery but the doctor got scared when he encountered lots of blood because I was on Coumadin at the time but had been off it for 2 weeks before surgery. So he did nothing. I just got a CT scan and am waiting for results. They put me on Augmentin but I had an allergic reaction to it so then they put me on Clindamyacin for 2 weeks. All that did was give me diarrhea. I cannot take this. I choke a lot when I am trying to swallow.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I went to the doctor yesterday and was prescribed azithromycin and cherritussin with codeine. The cherritussin has done absolutely nothing for me, and the azithromycin has so far suppressed my need to cough. However, the back of my throat is still in horrible pain every time I swallow, which I failed to mention to the doctor. Assuming my symptoms aren't better in about a week, I'm supposed to go back to the doctor.

Comment from: Kallred, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

My treatment was a prescription Z-pak. My symptoms were severe with chest pain. If my symptoms do not get better in two days, I'm supposed to go back in. At home, I've tried Robitussin cough and chest congestion along with honey and Halls cough drops. None of those worked. Also, I used ibuprofen for headaches. I drank lots of fluids and took extra vitamin C. After five days, I had to see the doctor. We will see how the Z-pak works.

Comment from: Mike Farmer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I feel like crap also, my chest hurts and my head feels funny and I have been feeling like this for two months I guess been trying to get it, been taking antibiotics, and whatever I can, and my left ear is ringing continuously, I feel like I'm going to pass out but don't, it's like halfway, especially driving and I lose all my focus in and out getting worse, cannot concentrate, feels like I lose half my vision with this. I don't know how else to explain this, I tried to tell my doctor but u know how some docs are.

Comment from: KayKay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have had this URI since the end of February. I have taken 2 different antibiotics. Which neither did anything for me. I have mucus in my chest that I can't seem to cough up and am wheezing. I have never had allergies or asthma but decided to try Zertec. I don't feel any different other than sleepy from the Zertec. I don't have a fever or a sore throat. I'm at a loss! I'm not a smoker either.

Comment from: Momof3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My doctor have me Hycodan and an inhaler for my upper respiratory infection. Home remedy was hot tea and lots of rest.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: February 16

Well I am just finishing an antibiotic, which is augmentin for a sinus infection. Now a week later, I'm sneezing, exhausted, and my chest hurts and burns and sore throat drainage. I am drinking plenty of water, and taking my multi vitamin. Also, I take saline nasal spray, and zyrtec for my allergies. I can't believe I got hit with this and am already on a course of medicine. I fell horrible. I am also taking Advil cold and sinus in moderation. I have body aches with this too.

Comment from: JRFrog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

My symptoms also got worse that it felt like someone was standing on my chest. I went to the doctor after 6 days and gave me a Azithromycin tablets. I think he called it a Z-pack. I am to check back if I don't improve in a few days.

Comment from: azggardner, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

In my experience you can't stop a UR infection. All you can do is treat the symptoms. I used Dayquil, NyQuil, Tylenol, Mucinex, Sudafed and cough drops. Keep in mind what does what. I did not take all of these medications every day. Just the ones I needed to treat my symptoms at the time. I also drank hot tea with honey and tons of orange juice. When I could I rested as much as possible and limited my activities. P.S. You do not need to break the bank for treatment. You can use the generic medication as long as it has the same active ingredients as the name brand ones.

Comment from: Dr.Benjam, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

Bed rest, fluids, Mucinex, gargling salt water and Aspirin every 4 hours.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter