Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your upper respiratory tract infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: OneEyedCats, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

Symptoms of my upper respiratory tract infection are fever, headache, sore throat, body aches, cough, red watery eyes, lethargy, and nasal congestion.

Comment from: yogawoman, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had just endured 22 hours of flying home from Europe with no sleep, when my throat was sore the night after we got home. It just went downhill from there. I was diagnosed that Monday with acute upper respiratory tract infection and acute laryngitis. I was on Z-Pak and steroids for throat. It did not help, and I went to my primary care physician and was put on another antibiotic, hydrocodone, antihistamine for cough, and 2 inhalers. This is day 15 and getting better, but I still have cough and sometimes sore throat. I am 75, but considered in good health. I have done yoga for 18 years, and work out in gym twice a week. I walked 10 miles a day in Europe. But this really got me. No more flying!

Comment from: Muggie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have an upper respiratory infection. It's been going on for about a week now. I have stuffy and runny nose (don't know how that's possible), tightness in the chest, burning in the chest, slight sore throat from the nasal drain, weakness, headache, and chapped lips. I am taking Mucus and Sinus Relief PE and it is curbing some of the symptoms while I'm at work. At home I drink lots of orange juice, chicken noodle soup, rest and a shot of blackberry brandy. My ribs and all the muscles throughout my torso hurt severely when coughing. A few years back I had an upper respiratory infection (URI) and actually broke a rib loose from my sternum from the severe cough. Do what you can to keep the cough at bay!

Comment from: Jude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have been suffering for a week with all the symptoms of a nasty cold. My cough got worse and my throat really sore, my back was aching and painful and my ear was clicking and sore. I do have angina so I thought it best to see the doctor. I was given amoxicillin 500 mg and a cough linctus, and told it was an upper respiratory tract infection. I had tried everything Vicks, honey, paracetamol, gargling with salt water, and resting; it just seemed to get worse. I believe it will run its course. I stay clear of grandchildren when they are ill, but my grandson shared this with me. It's horrible.

Comment from: Dianna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and I went through an incident of total respiratory failure. This began with just a scratch throat and my only being able to take small shallow breaths, next thing I know I'm waking up in the hospital in a room but I'm being told I had been there for 4 days and I was in ICU until that day I woke up. I am prone to upper respiratory tract infections (URI), the very first one was double pneumonia made worse by my COPD. The treatments that work are multiple breathing treatments, steroid packs that started at 5 pills a day and worked its way down to one. I need to drink a lot of water, take oxygen and rest. And for all of you who felt the pain of lying down due to a cough, I can relate. I live with three different inhalers due to my COPD. This time I began feeling my breathing difficulties I went to the hospital to do what needed to be done (you can imagine the anxiety I feel whenever I experience any of the symptoms that put me into the hospital with total respiratory failure). Everything seems ok. I didn't know that URI are contagious and someone walked right into my house and gave me one. One thing I can tell you is this, any kind of respiratory sickness added to COPD is like taking a mole hill and making it into a mountain.

Comment from: Berta Harris, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I started feeling cold and got chills. I began shaking and ran a temperature of 103. I went to the doctor and upper respiratory tract infection (URI) was his diagnosis. He gave me antibiotics. My hip down to my knee felt sore. I wonder if this also is due to URI.

Comment from: Ronnie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have a respiratory infection that was so bad that it caused me to have an acute bronchitis as well. Doctors treating me were reluctant to give me an antibiotic drug but needed to kill off the infection. The antibiotic produced additional phlegm, and thus coughing, which I didn"t need more of, because the results of the coughing were chest pain. Time is the cure here, I had to take a whole week off from work. I am in strict bed rest. Hope I don't have COPD.

Comment from: Pebbles, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I can deal with the runny nose, cough, headache and chest pain, but the fatigue is unbelievable. My symptoms of upper respiratory infection started 4 weeks ago, so I hope I get better soon. Steroid shot, antibiotics – Z Pak and then doxycycline, and decongestants haven"t helped at all. I am hoping that the healing process is happening but I can"t tell that it is.

Common Cold Prevention Slideshow
Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I went "all natural" and used lots of Vicks VapoRub on my chest at night, gargled with warm salt water, and held a towel over my head with hot water in the sink. It works well to loosen things up. I'm also drinking lots of liquids. I mixed 1 teaspoon of honey with ΒΌ teaspoon of cinnamon for my cough. I did all this and it still had to run its natural course – about three weeks. All this just made it tolerable without drugs.

Common Cold Prevention Slideshow