Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Contagious

Did you know your upper respiratory infection was contagious? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: RandomGuy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I went to the doctor after feeling weak, coughing, felt pressure all around my head, runny and stuffed up nose. He told me I have an upper respiratory infection and prescribed me some medicine. He also told me it was very contagious and I shouldn't go back to work until the medicine really started to take effect, about a day.

Comment from: Marion, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I wonder for how long an upper respiratory infection is contagious. I have had it for 5 days now and my husband now feels sick. I was told by the doctor on Tuesday March 27, 2018. I still cough but not as much. I cancelled all our Easter brunch with family and still haven't been out of the house.

Comment from: Polly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

It is highly contagious, everyone in my family is sick. We just keep passing it around it seems. I can't get rid of it, does anyone have any help?

Comment from: snothead, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

Whatever crud we have is highly rapidly contagious. Spouse brought it home from co-worker who got it from his child who got it from school. I didn't get to be with my terminally ill parent for X-mas because I couldn't risk giving it to them. We had to cancel our vacation that we waited on for a whole year. It hurts rib cage to cough anymore.

Comment from: girlbig, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I went to the doctor and was told I had an upper respiratory infection but he did not tell me I was contagious. It's a good thing I decided not to be around people for a few days. I found out I was contagious once I started checking out your website to get more info on my condition.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter