Ultrasound (and ultrasonography) is imaging of the body used in the medical diagnosis and screening of diseases and conditions such as:
- heart valve irregularities,
- carotid artery disease,
- heart disease,
- kidney stones,
- liver disease,
- diseases of the female reproductive, and
- diseases of the male reproductive organs.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Pregnancy Myths and Facts Quiz: Test Your Pregnancy IQ
Being pregnant is a delicate time for both mother and baby. Take this quiz to separate the myths and facts about being pregnant,...
Breast Cancer Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
This Breast Cancer Quiz features signs, symptoms, facts, causes, common forms, terms, risk factors, statistics, and more. ...
Picture of Carotid Artery Disease
Also called carotid artery stenosis, the term refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries. See a picture of Carotid Artery...
Picture of Gallbladder
Front View of the Gallbladder. The gallbladder is a small pouch that sits just under the liver. See a picture of the Gallbladder...
Picture of Pancreas
Front View of the Pancreas. The pancreas is about 6 inches long and sits across the back of the abdomen, behind the stomach. See...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Bladder
The urinary bladder is a muscular sac in the pelvis, just above and behind the pubic bone. See a picture of the Bladder and learn...
Picture of Esophagus
The esophagus is a muscular tube connecting the throat (pharynx) with the stomach. See a picture of the Esophagus and learn more...
Picture of Aorta
The aorta is the largest artery in the body. See a picture of the Aorta and learn more about the health topic....
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
Diverticulitis (diverticulosis) is a condition in which the diverticulum or diverticula rupture in the colon causing infection....
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Symptoms & Treatment
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Learn about juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Discover rheumatoid arthritis (RA) symptoms,...
Urinary Incontinence in Women: Types, Causes, and Treatments for Bladder Control
Urinary incontinence in women is a common problem. Overactive bladder (OAB), stress incontinence, and urge incontinence can be...
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
What is hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid...
Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
What is a stroke? Learn about stroke symptoms like sudden numbness or weakness, confusion, vision problems, or problems with...
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Infertility: Types, Treatments, and Costs
Learn about infertility symptoms and types of treatment such as IVF, acupuncture, and natural methods to get pregnant. Read about...
Bladder Infections: UTI Causes, Symptoms, Treatments
Urinary tract infections (UTI), including bladder infections, affect women and men, causing UTI symptoms like kidney infection....
A Visual Guide to Deep Vein Thrombosis
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a dangerous and sometimes fatal blood clot that occurs deep within the lower leg or thigh....
What Is Spinal Stenosis? Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Spinal stenosis causes back pain, leg pain, difficulty walking and clumsiness. Learn the symptoms of lumbar spinal stenosis and...
Related Disease Conditions
A common form of short stature, achondroplasia (dwarfism) is a genetic condition causing a disorder of bone growth. Complications...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Antiphospholipid syndrome (phospholipid antibody syndrome or Hughes syndrome) is an immune system disorder with symptoms that...
Aortic Valve Stenosis (Symptoms, Causes, Surgery)
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix. Appendicitis often causes sings and symptoms such as abdominal pain in the...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms, ECG, and Treatment Medications
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Treatment for bladder cancer depends on the stage of the disease, the grade of the tumor, and the type of bladder cancer. Options...
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...
Learn more about cavities including symptoms, treatment, and prevention. See how tooth decay, plaque, and bacteria contribute to...
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)
Most people with diverticulosis have few if any symptoms at all. When people do experience signs and symptoms of diverticulosis...
Ectopic Pregnancy (Tubal Pregnancy)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis)
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
Gallstones (Pain, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment)
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Gas (intestinal gas) means different things to different people. Everyone has gas and eliminates it by belching, burping, or...
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)
Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
There are several types of kidney cancer, including renal cell cancer (renal adenocarcinoma or hypernephroma), transitional cell...
Kidney Stones (nephrolithiasis)
Kidney stones are solid masses of crystalline material that form in the kidneys. Symptoms of kidney stones can include pain,...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
A Morton's neuroma is an inflamed nerve between the bones at the ball of the foot. Symptoms include a burning, sharp pain on the...
Mitral Valve Prolapse (Syndrome, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Surgery)
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP), also called "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome," is the most common type of heart valve...
There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumor of the pancreas. Pancreatic cancer has been called a "silent" disease because early...
Acute & Chronic Pancreatitis: Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
Pancreatitis is a rare disease in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. There are two types of pancreatitis: acute and chronic....
Pericarditis (Symptoms, ECG, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is characterized by numerous cysts in the kidneys. Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men after skin cancer. Risk factors include age, family history, ethnicity, and...
Prostatitis (Inflammation of the Prostate Gland)
Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate gland. Signs and symptoms of prostatitis include painful or difficulty urinating,...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Stroke Causes, Warning Signs, Symptoms, and Treatments
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Testicular cancer symptoms include a painless lump or swelling in a testicle, testicle or scrotum pain, a dull ache in the...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Turner syndrome is an inherited chromosomal condition affecting women. Women with Turner syndrome do not have ovarian function,...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that...
Still's disease (systemic-onset juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) is a disorder characterized by inflammation with high fever...
Jaundice (Hyperbilirubinemia) in Adults
Jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can...
Pancreas divisum is a common congenital anomaly (an anomaly that is present at birth) of the pancreatic duct(s). The human embryo...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Fatty Liver (NASH)
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or NASH occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
12 Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms, Stages, Causes, and Life Expectancy
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC)
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBS) is a liver disease in which bile building up in the organ damages bile ducts. Ultimately, this...
Microcephaly is a genetic condition where the circumference of the head is smaller than normal due to underdeveloped brain....
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs, PVC)
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, PVC) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart. PVCs are...
Endocarditis, a serious infection of one of the four heart valves is caused by growth of bacteria on one of the heart valves;...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a ballooning or widening of the main artery (the aorta) as it courses down through the abdomen. Most...
Felty's syndrome is a complication of long-term rheumatoid arthritis. Felty's syndrome is defined by the presence of three...
Hydronephrosis describes swelling of the kidney resulting from the inability of urine to drain from the kidney into the bladder....
Blood In Semen
Blood in semen is also known as hematospermia. Blood in semen can be caused by many conditions affecting the tubes that...
Congenital Heart Defects
Congenital heart defects are heart problems that are present at birth. Genetics may play a role in some heart defects. Symptoms...
A frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) is when the shoulder joint experiences a significant loss in its range of motion due to...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
A Baker's cyst, also called a popliteal cyst, is swelling caused by knee joint fluid protruding to the back of the knee...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle and can be caused by a variety of infections, conditions, and viruses....
A Dupuytren's contracture is a localized formation of scar tissue beneath the skin of the palm of the hand. The scarring...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip (Symptoms, Treatment)
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, itchy ears, eyes, and throat. Seasonal...
Syphilis in Women
Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a spiral-shaped type of bacteria known as a spirochete. There are...
Hamstring injuries may range from minor strains to major ruptures. A hamstring injury causes spasm, tightness, and tenderness....
Kawasaki disease is a rare children's disease characterized by a fever that lasts more than five days and at least four of the...
Spina Bifida and Anencephaly (Neural Tube Defects)
Spina bifida is the most common neural tube defect in the United States. There are four types of spina bifida; 1) occulta, 2)...
Ovarian Cysts (Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatment)
Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled, sac-like structures within an ovary. Symptoms of an ovarian cysts may be: Pain in the belly...
Cystinuria is a common genetic condition that causes excess buildup of the cystine protein in the urine. Cystinuria leads to the...
There are many types of urinary incontinence (UI), which is the accidental leakage of urine. These types include stress...
Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
Superior vena cava syndrome is compression of the superior vena cava vein located in the upper chest. Causes of superior vena...
Brain aneurysm (cerebral aneurysm) is caused by microscopic damage to artery walls, infections of the artery walls, tumors,...
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
Signs and symptoms of penile cancer include a lump on the penis and redness, irritation, or a sore on the penis. Risk of penis...
Breast Cancer Prevention
Lifestyle changes, a healthy antioxidant-rich diet, exercise, and weight reduction can help reduce a woman's risk of developing...
Hepatic hemangiomas are referred to as tumors, however, they not malignant and do not become cancerous. Hemangiomas can occur in...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT, Blood Clot in the Legs)
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot in the deep veins, and can be caused by broken bones, trauma to a limb, immobility,...
Fibrocystic Breast Condition (Changes)
Fibrocystic breast condition (sometimes called fibrocystic breast disease) is characterized by lumpiness and usually pain,...
Breast Lumps (In Women)
Breast lumps in women can have a variety of causes such as breast inflammation, infection, injuries, cancer, and non-cancerous...
Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)
Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors in the womb (uterus). Most uterine fibroids do not cause symptoms; however, if...
Overactive Bladder (OAB)
Overactive bladder is a sudden involuntary contraction of the muscle wall of the bladder causing urinary urgency (an immediate...
Benign uterine growths are tissue enlargements of the female womb (uterus). Three types of benign uterine growths are uterine...
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...
Peyronie's Disease (Curvature of the Penis)
Peyronie's disease or curvature of the penis (Peyronie disease) is a condition in which scar tissue develops inside the penis....
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Portal hypertension is most commonly caused by cirrhosis, a disease in which results from scarring of a liver injury. Other...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
Heart failure (congestive) is caused by many conditions including coronary artery disease, heart attack, cardiomyopathy, and...
Restrictive cardiomyopathy, the rarest form of cardiomyopathy, is a condition in which the walls of the lower chambers of the...
An arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm. With an arrhythmia, the heartbeats may be irregular or too slow (bradycardia), to...
Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping...
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) affects many people today. Many people with HCM have no symptoms or only minor symptoms, and...
Heart Valve Disease
Heart valve disease occurs when the heart valves do not work the way they should. Symptoms of valve disease include shortness of...
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
Testicular Pain (Men and Boys: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Testicular pain, or pain in the testicle or testicles are caused by a variety of diseases or conditions such as testicular...
Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip
Cleft palate and cleft lip are facial and oral defects that occur early in pregnancy. A cleft lip is a split of the two sides of...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Inflammatory breast cancer is an accelerated form of breast cancer that is not usually detected by mammogram or ultrasound....
Thyroid nodules are the most common endocrine problem in the United States. The term "thyroid nodule" refers to any abnormal...
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Symptoms, Diet, Treatments, Pregnancy)
Hashimoto's thyroiditis or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disorder causing inflammation of the thyroid gland....
Male Breast Cancer
Male breast cancer accounts for 1% of all breast cancers, and most cases are found in men between the ages of 60 and 70. A man's...
Cysts are sac-like structures that may be filled with gas, liquid, or solid materials. Cysts may produce symptoms and signs...
Paget Disease of the Breast (Paget's Disease of the Nipple)
Paget's disease is a rare form of cancer that forms in or around the nipple and frequently coexists with breast cancer. The exact...
Drug-Induced Liver Disease
Drug-induced liver diseases are diseases of the liver that are caused by: physician-prescribed medications, OTC...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Pancreatic cysts are collections of fluid within the pancreas. Some are benign, malignant, or pseudocysts. There are two major...
Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis) Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis) usually is caused from bacteria that have spread from the bladder from a UTI (urinary tract...
Salivary Gland Cancer
Salivary gland cancer is cancer that affects the parotid glands, sublingual glands, or the submandibular glands. Risk factors...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke)
When a portion of the brain loses blood supply, through a blood clot or embolus, a transient ischemic attack (TIA, mini-stroke)...
Neuroblastoma is a type of cancer that usually afflicts children under 5 years of age. The cancer forms in the adrenal glands,...
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung)
A pulmonary embolism (PE) occurs when a piece of a blood clot from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) breaks off and travels to an artery...
Gallbladder cancer is a rare form of cancer with symptoms that include jaundice, abdominal pain, fever, nausea and vomiting,...
Urinary Incontinence in Children
Urinary incontinence in children (enuresis) is twice as common in boys as in girls and may occur during the daytime or nighttime....
Aortic dissection is a small tear in the large blood vessel that leads from the heart and supplies blood to the body. There are...
Urinary Incontinence in Women
Millions of women suffer from urinary incontinence (UI). UI occurs twice as often in women as in men. There are many types of...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands): Pictures, Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Bone spurs are pointy outgrowths of bone that develop in areas of inflammation or injury. They commonly occur on the heel and...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Necrotizing fasciitis is also known as a flesh-eating bacterial infection, Fournier's gangrene, suppurative fasciitis, and...
Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Thrombophlebitis is when a blood clot causes the inflammation. Phlebitis can be...
Internal Bleeding (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment)
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Placenta previa is a condition during pregnancy when the placenta lies low in the uterus either partly or completely blocking the...
A hematoma is a collection of blood that is outside a blood vessel. There are different areas where hematomas occur including:...
Amenorrhea (including hypothalmic amenorrhea) is a condition in which there is an absence of menstrual periods in a woman. There...
Osteomyelitis is an infection of the bone. Potential causes include injections around the bone, fractures that puncture the skin,...
Lymphedema is a condition in which one or more extremities become swollen as the result of an impaired flow of the lymphatic...
Liver Disease Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, and Life Expectancy
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases, for example, gallstones, high...
The bacteria Brucella causes brucellosis, an infectious zoonotic disease in humans. Symptoms and signs include fatigue, fever,...
Urinary Tract Infections in Children
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are very common in children. Symptoms and signs include fever and abdominal pain. Associated...
Urinary retention (inability to urinate) may be caused by nerve disease, spinal cord injury, prostate enlargement, infection,...
Hydrocele is a collection of clear fluid in a thin walled sack that also contains the testicle. Hydroceles are more common in...
Schistosomiasis (snail fever), a disease caused by parasites, causes a variety of symptoms and signs, such as cough, rash and...
A urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra, may cause decreased urine output. Symptoms include painful urination, urinary...
Pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the chest or on the lungs. There are two types of pleural effusion, trandsudate and...
Urine Blockage in Newborns
There are many syndromes and defects that may cause urine blockage in newborns. Defects in the urinary tract that may cause urine...
Moles are small skin growths that may appear flat or raised and are often tan, brown, black, reddish brown, or skin colored. They...
Plant Thorn Synovitis
Plant thorn synovitis (plant thorn arthritis) is joint inflammation caused by a thorn puncturing the joint and leaving residual...
Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Iliotibial band syndrome is an overuse injury of the thigh and knee. Symptoms include knee pain and possible swelling. Treatment...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
Turf toe is a sprain to the ligaments around the big toe joint. Symptoms and signs include pain, swelling, a popping sound,...
Gallbladder Pain (Gall Bladder Pain)
Gallbladder pain (often misspelled "gall bladder") is generally produced by of five problems, biliary colic, cholecystitis,...
Kidney dysplasia is a condition in which one or both of a baby's kidneys do not develop normally. In kidney dysplasia, cysts...
Bile Duct Cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma)
Bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma) is a rare type of cancer that arises from cells that line the drainage system from the...
Achilles Tendon Rupture
The Achilles tendon is the body's largest and strongest tendon. Repeated stress is the usual cause of a ruptured Achilles tendon....
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver...
Kidney Pain (Location, Symptoms, Relief)
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders, kidney stones, and less common...
Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the ligament underneath the sole of the foot. Symptoms of plantar fasciitis include heel...
A parasite names Ascaris lumbricoides causes ascariasis. Symptoms and signs include abdominal pain, abdominal swelling,...
Pfeiffer syndrome, a rare genetic disorder, is characterized by craniosynostosis and other birth defects. There are three...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
There are many types of quadriceps injuries, including strains, contusions, Osgood-Schlatter disease, patellar tendinitis,...
Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors (Islet Cell Tumors)
There are many types of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (NETs): gastrinoma, insulinoma, glucagonoma, VIPomas, and...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
Pelvic pain is described as pain, usually in the lower pelvic area. Causes of acute and chronic pelvic pain in women include...
Hereditary Angioedema (HAE)
Hereditary angioedema or HAE is a genetic disease that causes swelling of the skin and tissues beneath it. Symptoms of HAE...
Atrial Flutter (Symptoms, Causes, ECG, and Treatments)
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vs Small Cell Lung Cancer
Non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLC) consist of large cell carcinomas, adenocarcinomas, and squamous cell carcinomas. Small cell...
Prostatitis vs. BPH (Enlarged Prostate) Differences and Similarities
Prostatitis and BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia, enlarged prostate gland) are both conditions of the prostate gland. There...
Doula vs. Midwife (Differences between Care, Costs, & Duties)
A midwife and doula are not the same thing. A doula's job is to provide non-medical, emotional, and personal support to a...
Amebiasis (Entamoeba histolytica Infection)
Amebiasis is an infection caused by an amoeba. Signs and symptoms include bloody stools, abdominal pain, weight loss, fever, and...
Angiomyolipomas are noncancerous tumors that are typically found in the kidney, but may occur in the liver, ovary, colon, or...
Ocular Melanoma (Intraocular Melanoma or Uveal Melanoma)
Ocular melanoma is cancer that begins in the eye tissue. Risk factors include being Caucasian, older age, having light eyes and...
Thyroid Disorders Symptoms and Signs
Thyroid diseases and disorders are caused because the body either makes too much or too little thyroid hormones, which are...
Falls or blows are the most common cause of gluteal injuries. Symptoms and signs of a gluteal injury include swelling,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Screening Tests for Cancer
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-Pancreatography)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Sinus Surgery Procedure
- Liver Biopsy
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Liver Blood Tests (Normal, Low, and High Ranges & Results)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- PSA Test (Prostate Specific Antigen)
- Breast Biopsy
- Cholescintigraphy, HIDA Scan
- D and C (Dilation and Curettage)
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) of the Liver
- Percutaneous Ethanol (Alcohol) Injection of Liver
- Trigger Point Injection
- Heart Valve Disease Surgery
- Echocardiogram (Echocardiography, Diagnostic Cardiac Ultrasound)
- Prenatal Ultrasound
- Physical and Occupational Therapy for Arthritis
- Pregnancy: 7 Common Third Trimester Tests
- Pregnancy: Prenatal Care and Tests
- Urodynamic Testing
- CT Scan vs. MRI (Differences between Machines, Costs, Uses)
- Breast Cancer FAQs
- Pregnancy Myths and Facts FAQs
- Neonatal Sepsis (Sepsis Neonatorum)
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Monitoring
- Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Early Warning Signs, and Risk Factors
- Vacuum Assisted Breast Biopsy
- Elizabeth Taylor Dies of Congestive Heart Failure
- Pancreatic Cancer, the Silent Disease
- Ultrasound Imaging of Joints in Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- What Are the Early Warning Signs of Ovarian Cancer?
- How Are Kidney Stones Diagnosed?
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Cyst Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Babies' Fascination With Faces May Start in the Womb
- Tests to Spot 'Preemie' Birth Risk Ineffective in First Pregnancies
- Many People Don't Take Their High Blood Pressure Meds: Study
- Ultrasound Won't Help Broken Bones Heal, Expert Panel Says
- Doctors Describe First U.S. Case of Locally Acquired Zika in Pregnancy
- MRI Helps Assess Fetal Brain Abnormalities: Study
- Zika Babies May Look Normal at Birth, Display Brain Defects Later: CDC
- New Fetal Views in 3-D
- Imaging Studies Shed Light on Zika's Effects
- Coming Soon: Lower Cholesterol From a Twice-a-Year Shot?
- Abdominal Aneurysm Risk Drops When Smokers Quit
- Freeze Therapy: An Alternative to Breast Cancer Surgery?
- Zika Causes Widespread Damage to Fetal Brain
- Babies With Cleft Lip Likely to Have Normal Adulthood: Study
- Tamoxifen OK for Breast Cancer Patients Without Uterine Abnormalities: Study
- For Uncontrolled Tremor, Ultrasound Instead of Brain Surgery?
- Zika Now Tied to Miscarriage
- Scans Not Worthwhile for Most Thyroid Cancers: Study
- Wide Variation Seen in 'Dense' Breast Diagnoses
- Ultrasound Device Approved to Treat Essential Tremor
- Novel Brain Cancer Treatment Taps Into Sound Waves
- Dangerous Urinary Tract Infections Common in Nursing Homes
- Out-of-Pocket X-Ray, CT Scan Costs Vary Widely
- Doctors May Be Ordering Too Many Neck Artery Scans: Study
- Psoriasis May Raise Risk for Aneurysms in Abdomen: Study
- Lung Ultrasound May Be Best to Spot Pneumonia in Kids: Study
- Waistline May Predict Heart Disease Better Than Weight
- Waistline May Predict Heart Disease Better Than Weight
- Pregnant Travelers, Tough Choices on Zika Testing
- Report Suggests Zika's Effect on Fetus May Be Even Deadlier Than Thought
- WHO: Neurological Disorder on the Rise in Zika Zones
- Asthma May Raise Risk for Abdominal Aneurysm
- Soy May Counter Effects of BPA in Women Undergoing Fertility Treatments
- Mammograms a Personal Decision for Women in Their 40s, Panel Says
- Breast Ultrasound, Mammography May Be Equally Effective: Study
- Annual Blood Test Might Help Prevent Deaths From Ovarian Cancer
- Laser: A Breast Cancer Treatment Alternative?
- Could a Scan Someday Replace Lymph Node Biopsy?
- Doctors Rally in Support of Fibroid Device Curbed by FDA
- Diabetes or Obesity During Pregnancy May Affect Fetal Heart: Study
- Cracking Knuckles Sets Off 'Fireworks' on Ultrasound
- More Belly Fat in First Trimester Linked to Diabetes Risk Later in Pregnancy
- Ultrasound Might Speed Up Digestive Drug Delivery: Animal Study
- Doctors Use 3D Printing to Safeguard Baby Before Birth
- Placing Large Catheter in Vein Under Collarbone Best, Study Finds
- CT Scan Use in Kids Fell Over Past Decade
- Mammograms a Personal Decision for Women in Their 40s, Panel Says
- Newer Test for Down Syndrome Called 'Major Advance'
- Ob-Gyns: Use Ultrasound to Assess Pelvic Symptoms
- Fetal Faces Seem to React to Mom's Smoking
- CT Scans Might Spot Heart Risks More Clearly in Patients With Chest Pain
- Ultrasound Used to Attack Alzheimer's-Linked Brain Plaque in Mice
- Breast Cancer Survivors May Have Higher Thyroid Cancer Risk
- Specially Trained Pooch Sniffs Out Thyroid Cancer
- Early Onset Hot Flashes May Point to Raised Heart Disease Risk
- Ultrasound Treatment May Be Option for Plantar Fasciitis
- Sound of Mother's Voice in Womb May Aid Fetal Brain Growth
- MRI Improves Prostate Cancer Biopsy Accuracy, Study Finds
- ER Patients With Chest Pain May Not Always Need Heart Tests: Study
- Falling Cancer Death Rate Means 1.5 Million Lives Saved Over 20 Years
- FDA Warns Against Fetal 'Keepsake' Videos
- Are Routine Ultrasounds for Women With Dense Breasts Worthwhile?
- 3-D Model of Heart May Help Surgeons Fix Defects
- Egg Freezing for a Future Pregnancy: What to Know
- Where Ebola Battles Are Won
- Too Many Heart Scans May Pose Radiation Risks, Cardiologists Say
- Short Walks Can Offset Long Stretches of Sitting
- Human Brain Has Coping Mechanism for Dehydration
- Routine Ultrasounds May Detect Autism in Utero
- Screen Older Men Who've Ever Smoked for Aneurysms: Experts
- Ultrasound Trumps CT Scan for Diagnosing Kidney Stones in Study
- Experts Debate Value of Self-Exam for Testicular Cancer
- Ultrasound of Lymph Nodes No Less Accurate for Obese Women, Study Says
- Screening May Help Boost Liver Cancer Survival Rates
- 'Freezing' Technique May Work for Some Women With Early Breast Cancer
- Pregnancy Ultrasound a Big Bonding Moment for Dads-to-Be
- Guidelines Aim to Detect More Congenital Heart Defects in Womb
- Space Travel Alters Shape of Human Heart, Study Reports
- CT Scans Might Help Diagnose Gout in Some Cases
- Lung Ultrasound Can Spot Risk of Respiratory Failure in Pregnancy: Study
- Don't Order Fetal Ultrasound Videos As Souvenirs: FDA
- Avoid Sports Injuries: Advice From an Olympic Doctor
- Babies Born to Moms Over 35 May Have Lower Risk for Certain Birth Defects
- Screen Older, Male Smokers for Type of Aneurysm, Experts Say
- Is the Stethoscope Living on Borrowed Time?
- Ultrasound to Brain May Boost Sensory Perception
- Ultrasound Device May Improve Emergency Stroke Care: Study
- Controversial Treatment May Not Help MS Patients
- FDA Sets Rules for Smartphone Medical Apps
- Even Younger Women With Diabetes May Face Higher Odds for Heart Disease
- MRI May Not Improve Outcomes for Early Form of Breast Cancer
- Too Many Unnecessary Thyroid Biopsies Performed, Experts Say
- New Hope for Early Detection of Ovarian Cancer
- High-Tech Prostate Scan May Boost Cancer Detection
- Controversial Theory Behind Possible MS Cause Refuted
- Ultrasound Device Might Be a Mood Booster
- Can Some Women Safely Skip Breast Surgery?
- Many Patients Getting Needless Heart Test, Study Contends
- Implants May Delay Breast Cancer Detection, Raise Death Risk
- Ultrasound Best Detector of Dangerous Ectopic Pregnancies, Study Finds
- Air Pollution May Speed Hardening of Arteries
- Ultrasound Waves, Bone Marrow Cells Show Promise in Heart Failure Patients
- Scarring May Raise Death Risk From Fatty Liver Disease
- Laser Liposuction May Zap Fat Without Skin Sag: Study
- Most Men Don't Need PSA Tests, Doctors' Group Says
- Hands-On Therapy May Spell Relief for Low Back Pain
- False-Positive Mammograms Can Trigger Long-Term Distress
- Ultrasound Allows Early Detection of Fluid in Dialysis Patients' Lungs
- More Younger Women Diagnosed With Advanced Breast Cancer: Study
- Allergy 'Rescue' Shots May Work Better in Lower Thigh of Overweight Kids
- Injected 'Hydrogel' May Help Repair Failing Hearts
- 'Watch and Wait' Approach Often Best for Older Patients With Kidney Cancer
- Scans Show Details of Damage to Soldiers With Head Injuries
- Targeted Prostate Cancer Biopsies Might Improve Care: Study
- Women With Dense Breasts Open to Additional Cancer Screening: Study
- Brooke Burke Has Thyroid Cancer
- Exercise Can Help Knee Pain if You Stick With It
- Quick Survey May Pick Up Ovarian Cancer Warnings: Study
- Simple Test Might Predict Whether Some Pregnancies Succeed
- Prenatal Test Presents Dilemmas to Expectant Mothers
- 3 Quick Questions Help ID Ovarian Cancer Risk
- First Ultrasound to Spot Cancer in Dense Breasts Approved
- After Breast Cancer Diagnosis, Are Other Tests Overdone?
- Swallowed Toothpicks Can Lead to Big Trouble, Experts Warn
- Some Screens Miss Spread of Breast Cancer: Study
- U.S. Panel Rejects Ovarian Cancer Screens for Low-Risk Women
- Which Heart Risk Test Rated Best?
- Egg Yolks Almost as Bad for Arteries as Smoking: Study
- Thyroid Treatment Guidelines for Pregnant Women Revised
- Many Teens With High Blood Pressure Don't Get Needed Tests
- Health Highlights: June 25, 2012
- Guidelines Issued for When Docs Should Order Vascular Testing
- Ultrasound May Detect Heart Disease Earlier in Arthritis Patients
- FDA Seeks Less Radiation for Kids Getting X-Rays, CT Scans
- Mammograms Beat Thermography for Breast Cancer Detection: Study
- Study Downplays Risk of CT Scans
- Mental Stress May Be Harder on Women's Hearts
- Bedwetting Misunderstood but Often Treatable
- Health Highlights: April 18, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2012
- Ultrasound 'Male Lumpectomy' for Prostate Cancer
- Health Highlights: April 12, 2012
- Nonsurgical Method to Measure Brain Pressure Shows Promise
- U.S. Panel Rejects Ovarian Cancer Screening
- Do False-Positive Mammograms Predict Cancer Risk?
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
- Ultrasound, MRI Might Spot Cancer in Dense Breast Tissue
- Treating Clogged Veins Improves MS, Study Says
- Health Tip: Manage the Pain of a Neck Sprain
- New Procedure Makes Hyperhidrosis No Sweat
- Varicose Veins Keep Some in Long Pants All Year
- Health Highlights: Feb. 24, 2012
- New Guidelines to Help Breast Cancer Survivors
- Exercise in Pregnancy Safe for Baby, Study Finds
- New Therapy Might Help Relieve Painful Foot Condition
- Efforts to Reduce Stroke in Kids With Sickle Cell Working: Study
- Ultrasound As a Male Contraceptive?
- Study: Constipation May Cause Bed-wetting
- Narrowed Artery Condition Often Goes Undiagnosed: Study
- Blood Test May Reveal Child's Sex Soon After Conception
- Is American Medicine Too Test Happy?
- Smoking During Pregnancy May Damage Children's Blood Vessels
- Breast Cancer Patients Face More Imaging Tests Today
- Hormone Treatment May Drastically Reduce Preterm Births
- New Version of Contraceptive Implant Is Easier to Insert
- Cataract Surgery May Be Safer With Laser
- In Older Men, Prostate Biopsies Can Raise Risk of Hospitalization
- Surgery vs. Laser Treatment for Varicose Veins
- Ultrasound of Neck Predicts Who Will Have a Stroke
- Heart Testing Overused, Report Finds
- Facial Wrinkles Linked to Lower Bone Density
- Underwater, Humans Hear Through Their Bones
- Progesterone Gel Reduces Risk of Early Preterm Birth
- Serena Williams' Pulmonary Embolism, Hematoma: FAQ
- Fatty Liver May Be Linked to Diabetes Risk
- New Recommendations for Osteoporosis Screening
- Progress Toward Blood Test for Down Syndrome
- Walnuts Reduce Stress
- Timing of Delivery May Affect Cerebral Palsy Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter