Symptoms of ulcerative colitis vary among affected individuals. Typical symptoms include
Depending upon the degree of inflammation and the location of the inflammation within the colon, other signs and symptoms can occur. Rectal pain, a sense of urgency in needing to defecate, and tenesmus (ineffective and painful urge to defecate) are symptoms of rectal involvement. Weight loss, fever, night sweats, fatigue, and dehydration are all possible symptoms and signs of ulcerative colitis.
Causes of ulcerative colitis
Other ulcerative colitis symptoms and signs
- Abdominal Cramping
- Abdominal Pain
- Blood in Stool
- Eye Irritation
- Growth Delay (in Children)
- Joint Pain
- Loss of Appetite
- Night Sweats
- Rectal Bleeding
- Rectal Pain
- Rectal Urgency
- Weight Loss
Main Article on Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What is inflammatory bowel disease? IBD can include Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Learn more about testing, treatments,...
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Ulcerative Colitis Quiz: Diet, Symptoms & Treatment
What is ulcerative colitis and what risks are associated with suffering over the long term? Take this Ulcerative Colitis Quiz to...
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Ulcerative Colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease and is slightly different than Crohn's disease. Your diet can impact...
Examples of Medications for Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms and Signs
- azathioprine (Azasan)
- Cortenema (hydrocortisone enema)
- cyclosporine microemulsion capsule - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- hydrocortisone rectal foam (Cortifoam, Anusol-HC, Anucort-HC)
- hydrocortisone suppository - rectal, Anucort-HC, Anusol-HC, Cort-Do
- hydrocortisone, rectal suppository, enema, foam, Cortifoam, Anusol-HC, Anucort-HC, Proctocort
- infliximab (Remicade)
- mesalamine (Pentasa, Rowasa, SfRowasa, Lialda, Canasa, Apriso, Delzicol)
- methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall)
- methylprednisolone (Medrol)
- olsalazine (Dipentum)
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- sulfasalazine (Azulfidine)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter