Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: kelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

Heavy lifting over many years, about 10 hours per week, especially between 1995 and 2012, contributed to vaginal prolapse, as I did not have children, nor was I ever pregnant. Also beginning to be in menopause. There may be a hereditary weakness, a sister and my mother each had prolapses, but theirs were uterine, I think.

Comment from: Deeb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I received the shingles vaccine a few years ago and just got diagnosed with shingles by a dermatologist, so I am taking Valtrex and Synalar cream. It doesn't hurt, just a little itchy, it feels like a mild sunburn. I suppose it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't been vaccinated.

Comment from: Sylvie Lalonde, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had ulcerative colitis (UC) for a number of years now and I have been on everything, Asacol, prednisone, Remicade, Imuran, etc. My cousin told me one day that a woman who had the same disease wrote a book on how to cure UC. I tried the special diet and since then, I feel so much better.

Comment from: M Parker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am 45 years old and have had mild ulcerative colitis for 15 years. I have always taken Asacol 800 mg tablets, 1 or two a day. My new gastroenterologist tells me I should stop the medications as he feels there is no need to take them. I'm hesitant, as other doctors always seemed to feel I need them.

Comment from: Michiana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 52 now, I feel great and have no active disease. My colitis symptoms began at age 23 along with lactose intolerance. I had a severe attack at age 29 and was diagnosed with UC (ulcerative colitis). My second major attack was at age 37 shortly before I was married. I was put on Prednisone and sulfa (found out I am ALLERGIC to it) to put me into remission. I took Dipentum for a number of years, then Asacol (4 TID - thrice daily - initially). My symptoms improved six years later and I was able to cut the Asacol to 2 BID (twice daily). I also consulted a dietician/herbal nutritionist who suggested a good probiotic (Solaray Multidophilus 3 billion, 2 capsules with a glass of water twice a day, an hour before breakfast and at bedtime) to build up my immune system, and fish oil (now use Minami Platinum 1 BID with meals) to reduce inflammation. I was also told to find ways to relax (which heals mind and body). Yoga and occasional massage helped as did getting daily exercise – I do brisk walking 30 minutes most days. It took 2-3 years to get myself healed and healthy, though I am still 60 lbs overweight from Prednisone. The probiotics healed my gut and I'm no longer lactose intolerant! I will switch to Delzicol (2 BID) when my supply of Asacol runs out. I still take probiotics (just 2 at bedtime now) and fish oil, do 30 minutes of yoga twice a week and walk 4-5 days a week, have an hour-long massage once a month and try to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and enough protein; I omit grains and starch. Also, I try to drink half my body weight in ounces of water every day (a 150-lb person would need 75 oz water, more if perspiring a lot from hot weather or exercise).

Comment from: Scotch, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Enteric-coated garlic pills stop all the symptoms of ulcerative colitis!

Comment from: Rosie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I have just been diagnosed with colitis. I am on Bactrim until I go back to my doctor for a follow-up in 13 days. I'm afraid to eat anything but have to take my medications. I wonder if this is going to be a trial and error on what I can eat and cannot.

Comment from: knoedel64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

Hi, I have had UC since the age of 24 and I am now 48. There was a series of medications they gave me, until I was given Asacol about 9 years ago and that works for me. I have only had 2 or 3 flare ups since and I can eat everything. If I have a flare up I am treated with Antibiotics and Steroids for a couple of weeks and that takes care of the problem. Unfortunately my daughter, who is 21 now has UC also and I just spent the night at the ER with her. She is given the same treatment and medications and we will see if that helps her too. There was a time I didn't think I was ever going to get better and I was so relieved to have a normal life after Asacol was prescribed.

Comment from: Jacqui, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with UC at the age of 23. I have suffered with 4 or 5 flare ups a year and the last one lasted for almost 4 months. I went on a juice and fruit fast and all of the symptoms (bleeding mucous, cramps) vanished within 2 days. I was previously taking Asacol and steroid enemas. I moved to Australia where they put me on Salofalk enemas which helped a bit. But as soon as I stopped using them it came back. I done a lot of research and trial and found that I cannot eat meat. I have now been symptom free and drug free for 11 months! My diet consists mainly of Green juice. Soups, salads, veg and a small amount of fish. I can eat bread and pasta cookies etc. as long as I have enough fruits and veg. I have never felt better. I also had arthritis which has improved dramatically. I am 40 now. Hope this helps someone. I still can't believe I have healed myself after 17 years!

Comment from: CahrlieG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have both Chrons colitis and Ulcerative colitis dating back 15 - 20 years. I was treated with asacol and colazal simultaneously for several years and then was reduced to colazal only. This treatment has been quite successful at maintaining a remission status almost the entire time. Dosage level is tolerable and I have not had any side effects. I encourage use of this treatment for others who have issues from the IBS.

Comment from: TWKelly, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm new at this since I was only diagnosed in November. I have had no issues with the Asacol (400mg X3 TID) but apparently, according to the GI doc who prescribed it (along with prednisone), it isn't working like he expected the treatment would. So now I am looking at Remicade treatment. Based on the potential nasty side effects. and the fact that it is a slow infusion IV, I'm reluctant to go ahead with this and take my chances with oral medications.

Comment from: Nina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have had ulcerative colitis since I was 14, I am now 45. Over the years I have tried all the medications with very little relief and several severe allergic reactions. The only relief started 5 years ago with the drug Imuran. It is the first time in my life I have been in remission. To me it is a miracle. I can eat and drink anything and have gained weight.

Comment from: cotton, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have had ulcerative colitis (UC) for over 20 years now and have the choice for the treatment of either infliximab or adalimumab.

Comment from: jackie beard, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have not had the surgery for ulcerative colitis yet, but they are wanting to remove my large intestine and put me on a colostomy bag. I have almost bled to death 3 times and I'm really sick of being in the hospital.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed when I was 26 years old. I took sulfasalazine for 25 years ,along with retention steroid enemas. That worked as long as I was on the meds. Now I am 63 and I am not on any meds because I have developed sensitivity to everything except, prednisone. So when I have flare-ups that is all that will help. Now I have to have a colonoscopy every year.

Comment from: phylray, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been taking (3) VSL#3 capsules each morning it seams to help. When I get a flareup I increase the amount I take to 4.

Comment from: dooscoop, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I am a male 60 y/o and was diagnosed with UC in May 2012. I was put on Lialda and within a month, my symptoms improved tremendously to the point of felt as good as I did before my diagnosis. I went in for another colonoscopy in October 2012 and was told by the doctor that she was surprised that I still had so much inflammation in my colon. She doubled my dosage of Lialda from 2.4 grams to 4.8 grams per day. Shortly after that, my symptoms of UC returned, mostly being frequent loose bowel movements. I had gone from 2 normal stools per day in August to 8-10 loose stools in October.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at the age of 17, took a while to figure out what it was, once they put me on medications, it led to liver failure. Make sure you get blood tests taken when you switch medicines. Now I can't take the majority of the medications they offer. I am now 20 and still frequently in pain. So be careful and get blood tests often when switching!

Comment from: Crown5, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at about age 32. I was taking Asacol 400mg, 3 tablets, 2 times a day for about 7 years and it helped somewhat with my symptoms. I was then switched to Asacol HD 800mg, 3 tabs, 2 times a day for the next two years, but still had symptoms of UC. A year ago I tried "The Gerson Therepy" as an alternative to medication. I followed the regimen for about two months. It has been a year and I have had absolutely no symptoms of UC whatsoever. No flare ups, hyper bowels, bloating or cramps. I have even went back to solid stools.

Comment from: kevin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

Hello, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis when I was 30. I've had it for 2 years now and been through so many waves of different drugs. Prednisone, which is not a fun drug to be on. You never feel full, always hungry. Break out real bad with acne. Weight gain. I had the enema approach and I was doing that nightly for a while but my UC grew and no longer stopped the bleeding. I'm now on Remicade and it stopped the bleeding. Now I have horrible urgency to run to the bathroom. Waiting now for something else but thinking that I'm probably just have to deal with what I got. Stay away from seafood, anything spicy, dairy. Like a lot of other people on here say try to find a good doctor. Someone who listens to you. Keep your head up and try to eat smart and good luck.

Comment from: jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was diagnosed at the age of 19 and have taken Asacol and the Rowasa enema which has worked well. It was the worst during my pregnancy at age 23. I had flare ups 5-6 times a year until I had my gallbladder taken out at age 35. I'm now 45 and have occasional loose stools but have not had severe symptoms in like 25 years.

Comment from: angelofmusic080, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am 21 and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last year. For years I struggled with embarrassingly frequent bathroom visits. I could get through a meet without at least three trips. At first my doctor thought it to be irritable bowel syndrome and told me to take fiber. Nothing helped. Then it got really bad. I lost twenty pounds because my body would not accept any nutrients and it went right through me. I was finally told to get a colonoscopy and was diagnosed. My family says it is my fault and that I caused it by having severe depression and stress, but I know I cannot change it. I take 3000 mg of sulfasalazine a day and am worried about cancer. My mom had UC and developed gall bladder cancer which she did not survive.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

My medications help, but sometimes if I drink alcohol or eat spicy foods, I'll have flare ups. I have noticed that stress also contributes to it. I'm trying to be good!

Comment from: jana82, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have ulcerative pancolitis and was taking 3.2 grams of Asacol and 40 mg of Prednisone (tapered off after symptoms cleared) a day and it worked for about 6 months. Neither Asacol nor Prednisone worked for my second flare so my doctor started me on Remicade. The Remicade injections have put my UC in remission. I have only taken 2 initial injections so far and all the symptoms have cleared by about 90%. That is really good because usually it takes several months for it to kick in. After my third injection I will only need maintenance injections once every 8 weeks. I also take asacol 3 x2 per day which is minimum dose. Every day it gets a little better. Remicade and Asacol are working great for me.

Comment from: girlie24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

After months of trying to change diet and lifestyle first, I ended up at the doctors anyway. I was on prednisone and Lialda for a month and now just Lialda. I finally feel like I have a normal life again! No flare ups and I can eat/drink anything without issue.

Comment from: plb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had severe ulcerative colitis and was treated with massive prednisone doses and Asacol. I lost a lot of hair, gained weight, went into menopause, got weak, etc. The doctor wanted to take out my colon, but I refused. I did research alternatives, and I changed my diet. I've been OK for 12 years! I do lactose-free products, no beef or corn, little caffeine and alcohol, and I use oat cereal and oat breads. The most wonderful and helpful thing was discovering aloe vera ingestible gel and now capsules. The gel was slimy, but it healed up the bleeding very quickly, and now they have capsules and they are of course preferable! So don't listen when they tell your diet can't help.

Comment from: Ren, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease at 50 years old and have done well on an IV of Remicade, and Liada orally.

Comment from: J-fo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 48 years old and have had ulcerative colitis for 23 years. I usually get flare ups about once or twice a year and can get it under control with meds. This time it is different. Much more severe cramping especially in my lower back.

Comment from: sojo87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis when I was 21. When none of the medication worked the surgical specialist I was seeing told me the only other option was surgery. This devastated myself and my family. I was then passed on to the medical side and they tried me on azathioprine. This has worked for me and only occasionaly do I need to use codeine to help if I have a flare up due to alcohol or spicy things (which I love). Thanks to the help of my medical doctors I have got my life back on track and very rarely worry about my colitis.

Comment from: magsamil, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have been having a flare up for over 5 months now. Asacol wasn't helping and I developed an allergy to it so my doctor put me on Pentasa. 3 pills 2 times a day. They have improved my condition but I still get very stressed when I am not within a reasonable distance of a bathroom. I have a one hour drive in heavy traffic to work every day and I feel like I can't handle it anymore.

Comment from: Backwoods, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I suffer from pain on my left side from ulcerative colitis. I am overweight. This has been going on for several years now. The pain is under my left rib cage and goes around mu left side. It feels like I am full most of the time. The trouble is my stomach bubbles like when you open a can of coke. And feels realy weird. Also just under my rib cage I have things that feel like small rocks. I am extremely tired all the time and I have major anxiety attacks because of this. Everytime I go to the emergency room they check my heart. I keep telling them it's my stomach. They don't listen though.

Comment from: jada Urquhart, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Had ulcerative colitis for a long time, but diagnosed 22 years ago. Mild case. Flares once or twice a year. Asacol, Rowasa and cortisone enemas. When it works, it works, but the disease seems to have a life of its own. Stress an issue for sure, but if you aren't stressed you are probably dead. For very bad flares, I survive on pumpkin custard and whip cream for six weeks. Weird, but it works. (Eggs, milk, pumpkin, sugar, salt, spices.) Get awfully tired of it. Palms of hands and soles of feet turn orange before it's over. Does it work because of anti-oxidants? I'm sure it's just me. But the big point is that the cramps evaporate.

Comment from: Scotiababy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with UC after my son was born, 11 years ago-I had the usual symptoms-frequent mucous bloody BM's, cramping, and was brought under control with Salofalk suppositories and pills, and a short course of prednisone. I made no dietary changes, and the UC only resurfaces if I don't take my meds(now only Salofalk tabs)or if I take anti-inflammatory such as Celebrex or Indocid. I have colonoscopies every few years to rule out cancer. I am very thankful I have a drug plan, as I wouldn't be able to afford my meds without this.

Comment from: Emily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had ulcerative colitis since I was 15 - I am now 42. I have been on everything - Prednisone, Remicade, Imuran, etc. The only thing that has got me into remission for the past 4 years has been Lialda and Methotrexate. Methotrexate has given me my life back! Before this, my only other option was surgery. Thank goodness my GI doctor was at a conference and was discussing my case and was told to try this for UC, not just CD! Even if it quits working tomorrow, at least I have had 4 years of a NORMAL life! I hope this helps someone else!!!

Comment from: LJS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

After several years of chronic diarrhea and intense pain, the gastrologist I was seeing suggested I take a probiotic twice daily, morning and night and one sachet 4g of Questran, per day. Questran is prescribed for people with high cholesterol, it helps to prevent diarrhea in people who have E Coli bacteria in their gut. It works for me, I also have a low fiber diet of 10-12grams per day, and drink up to 8 glasses of water per day, sometimes more. I have rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis is a symptom of this. My RA is from having too many viral infections.

Comment from: momma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

Have had ulcerative colitis for three years now. I am having I guess what you calla flare ups and I am in so much pain. I'm scared to eat anything even water hurts and gives me cramping. I don't know what to take for pain as the doctor told me not to take NSAIDs because it makes it worse. I don't know what to do but I know that hes gonna put me on steroids for the colon and I'm scared because I don't want to get big and swollen.

Comment from: grateful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had ulcerative colitis for a number of years now and tried all the medications. 60mg Prednisone, Asacol, Azathioprine, etc. all to no avail. I had bad diarrhea and rectal bleeding to the point where I couldn't leave the house anymore. I am 38 years old and don't drink or smoke. My diet is healthy although I don't often feel like eating. I get full very quickly, then feel sick. Last year I had surgery and had my colon removed. I now have an ileostomy bag for life which is fine. I can leave the house now and do things with my kids, so that's great. Still on a lot of meds and still feel sick whenever i eat but things are better than they were. I say to anyone else going through the same thing to hang in there. It does get better. I

Comment from: bec, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had a severe flare that evolved into pancolitis. It took a long time to respond to high dose of prednisone, 60mg for 3 months. Now I am on Azathioprine 25mg every other day but what really helped was VSL #3 it is a probiotic that is activated once it enters your intestinal tract. All I can say is hang in there, remission is around the corner and there are great studies on use of probiotics. Good luck. I am well!

Comment from: loftee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

Keeping your diet 'white' sugar-free. Deleting cakes, biscuits, jams jellies and anything that has white sugar associated to it. Use natural products like honey. This helped my husband immensely to be steroid free and manage without medications.

Comment from: Barnes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I just found out yesterday I had UC. It was a major blow to me. I prayed on it and I am going to give UC a fight to the end. I started off with some constipation and then to bloody stools, then to irritation near the rectum. I am on the Steroid and the suppository enema and hopes that this will do the trick. If not I will continue the fight. I have been told that stress is bad for UC. So I will try to stay away from it.

Comment from: brownie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am 70 years old and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I was in the hospital for 12 days. I had bad diarrhea and was very dehydrated. I'm on Apriso four capsules in applesauce works good, but I'm losing my hair and don't know what to do.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I am on Asacol which does not always help when I have a relapse and I am then forced to take prednisone.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter