Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding. Ulcerative colitis is closely related to Crohn's disease, and together they are referred to as inflammatory bowel disease. Treatment depends upon the type of ulcerative colitis diagnosed. Read more: Ulcerative Colitis Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Learn about symptoms, causes, and foods that trigger IBS. Get lifestyle tips for managing...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What is inflammatory bowel disease? IBD can include Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Learn more about testing, treatments,...
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Ulcerative Colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease and is slightly different than Crohn's disease. Your diet can impact...
Ulcerative Colitis Quiz: Diet, Symptoms & Treatment
What is ulcerative colitis and what risks are associated with suffering over the long term? Take this Ulcerative Colitis Quiz to...
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Related Disease Conditions
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes...
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...
Psoriatic arthritis is a disease that causes skin and joint inflammation. Symptoms include painful, stiff, and swollen joints,...
Night Sweats (Causes, Remedies, and Treatments in Women and Men)
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Steroid Drug Withdrawal
Corticosteroid drugs such as prednisone and prednisolone are commonly used to treat asthma, allergic reactions, RA, and IBD....
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Is C. diff (Clostridium difficile) Contagious?
C. diff, or Clostridium difficile, is a bacteria that infects the colon. C. diff bacteria can be found on: furniture,...
Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome
Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage where the ribs attach to the sternum. Tietze syndrome affects the same region of...
Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis that causes chronic inflammation of the spine. The tendency to develop ankylosing...
Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)
Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium, and is one of the most common causes of infection of the colon. C. difficile...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Erythema nodosum is a skin inflammation that results in reddish, painful, tender lumps most commonly located in the front of the...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Bronchiectasis (Acquired, Congenital)
Bronchiectasis has three types: 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, 3) and cystic...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC)
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBS) is a liver disease in which bile building up in the organ damages bile ducts. Ultimately, this...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Are Canker Sores Contagious?
Canker sores or aphthous ulcers are one of the most common causes of painful sores in the mouth. The actual cause of canker sores...
Is Colitis Contagious?
Colitis is a term that us used to describe inflammation of the colon. The terms enteritis, proctitis, and inflammatory bowel...
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
Primary sclerosing cholangitis or PSC is a disease of the liver. The cause of PSC is not known. Symptoms may include itching,...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Is Crohn's Disease Contagious?
Crohn's disease, a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and is characterized by symptoms and signs that...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Crohn's Disease vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC): Differences and Similarities
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are diseases that cause inflammation of part of or the entire digestive tract (GI)....
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
Biologic rhythms, or biorhythms, are how our bodies respond to the regular phases of the sun, moon, and seasons. A medical...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Diet: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a name for a group of diseases in which there is inflammation of the digestive tract...
Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms
For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?Post View 41 Comments
Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments
What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?Post View 42 Comments
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet
What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?Post View 5 Comments
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications
What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?Post View 3 Comments
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery
What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?Post View 1 Comment
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Liver Blood Tests
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Colostomy: A Patient's Perspective
- Sedimentation Rate
- Fecal Occult Blood Test
- IV Drug Infusion FAQs
- Colon Cancer Screening
- Barium Enema
- Bowel Diversion Surgery: Ileostomy, Colostomy, Ileoanal Reservoir, and Continent Ileostomy
- Ulcerative Colitis Surgery
- Caring for a Continent Ileostomy
- Rectal Pain
- Stomach Cramps
- Abdominal Pain
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Knee Pain
- Pelvic Pain
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Joint Warmth
- Fecal Incontinence
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Tummy Trouble FAQs
- Ulcerative Colitis FAQs
- Bleeding Ulcer Symptoms and Causes
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Digestive Disease Myths
- The Hygiene Hypothesis
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Corticosteroid Side Effects
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis -- Walter Payton's Disease
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral and Injectable)
- balsalazide capsule - oral, Colazal
- olsalazine - oral, Dipentum
- mesalamine (5-aminosalicylic acid) extended-release - oral, Pentasa
- mesalamine (5-aminosalicylic acid) enema - rectal, Rowasa
- sulfasalazine - oral, Azulfidine
- mesalamine (5-aminosalicylic acid) suppository - rectal
- mesalamine (5-aminosalicylic acid) delayed-release - oral, Asacol, Delzicol
- mesalamine (Pentasa, Rowasa, SfRowasa, Lialda, Canasa, Apriso, Delzicol)
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax, Glycolax)
- Sulfonamides (Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Septra DS)
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
- hyoscyamine sublingual (Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, Anaspaz)
- methotrexate, Rheumatrex, Trexall
- hydrocortisone injection (Solu-Cortef, A-Hydrocort)
- sulfasalazine, Azulfidine
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- hyoscyamine - oral, Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Donnamar,
- budesonide (Entocort EC, Uceris)
- Cortenema (hydrocortisone enema)
- atropine (oral, Atreza, Sal-Tropine - discontinued in the US)
- hydrocortisone oral, A-Hydrocort, Solu-CORTEE, Cortef
- dexamethasone injection (Baycadron, Decadron [Discontinued], Dexamethasone Intensol)
- omega-3 fatty acids - oral, Max Epa, Omega-3, Salmon Oil,
- balsalazide disodium, Colazal
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- mesalamine, Lialda
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- hyoscyamine - disintegrating oral tablet, Nulev
- olsalazine, Dipentum
- cyclosporine - intravenous, Sandimmune
- hydrocortisone rectal foam (Cortifoam, Anusol-HC, Anucort-HC)
- infliximab-dyyb (Inflectra)
Prevention & Wellness
- Scientists Spot Genes Behind Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis
- 'Good' Donor Bacteria Can Last Long Term in Stool Transplant Patients
- Arthritis Drug Shows Promise for Ulcerative Colitis
- Special Diet May Be Boon for Kids With Crohn's, Colitis
- Monkey Study Hints at Drug-Free Suppression of HIV
- Amjevita OK'd to Treat Inflammatory Diseases
- Vitamin A Compound Might Aid in Colon Cancer Fight
- Stool Transplant Soothes Tough-to-Treat Colitis in Study
- Study: Fecal Transplants May Help Colitis
- The Rise of the Do-It-Yourself Fecal Transplant
- Ultrasound Might Speed Up Digestive Drug Delivery: Animal Study
- Childhood Abuse Linked to Ulcerative Colitis Later in Life
- Surgery May Beat Drugs for Ulcerative Colitis: Study
- Additives in Processed Foods May Alter Gut Bacteria
- Viruses May Play Role in Crohn's Disease, Colitis: Study
- Stem Cell Therapy Fixes Post-Surgical Airway Abnormality
- Crohn's, Colitis May Have Genetic Underpinnings, Study Finds
- Sleep Duration Linked to Ulcerative Colitis Risk in Study
- Certain Autoimmune Drugs in Pregnancy May Up Newborn Infection Risk: Study
- What Is Your Gut Telling You?
- Diet Changes Can Alter Gut Bacteria, Study Says
- FDA OKs New Drug for Hard-to-Treat Colitis and Crohn's
- Stem Cell Discovery Might Someday Help Treat Colitis, Crohn's
- Crohn's and Colitis May Be Tied to Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
- Simponi Approved for Ulcerative Colitis
- Fecal Transplant Studied for Kids With Bowel Disease
- Health Tip: When Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms Flare
- Gene Study Yields New Clues to Crohn's Disease, Colitis
- Humira Approved for Ulcerative Colitis Treatment
- Antibiotics May Raise Bowel Disease Risk in Kids
- New Drug Might Help Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Household Chemical PFOA Linked to Heart Disease
- New Way to Ease Ulcerative Colitis?
- Health Tip: Signs That May Indicate Ulcerative Colitis
- Mouse Study Suggests Certain Fats Could Trigger Crohn's, Colitis
- Birth Control Pills, HRT Tied to Digestive Ills
- Diagnostic Scans Tied to Radiation Risk for Gastro Patients
- Tropical Trip OK for Most With Crohn's, Colitis
- Climate Tied to Inflammatory Bowel Disease Risk
- As Nations Develop, So May Bowel Disease
- Endometriosis Tied to Higher Risk of Crohn's, Colitis
- Some Doctors Warming Up to Probiotics
- Southerners May Be Less Likely to Have Crohn's
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease Tied to Higher Risk of Post-Op Blood Clots
- Link Explored Between Colon Cancer, Bacterium
- Celiac, Crohn's Disease Share Common Genetic Links
- Worm Eggs May Heal Ulcerative Colitis
- Pill Cuts Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter