Patient Comments: Typhoid Fever - Symptoms and Signs

What are your typhoid fever symptoms and signs? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Nus, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had typhoid fever 3 weeks ago. Doctors found it difficult to detect as they thought it was a bacterial infection of some kind. I went through 5 blood tests before they did the one specific for typhoid. Symptoms started with feeling very chilly suddenly towards the end of the day, and my condition worsened very quickly to barely being able to walk as I felt very close to passing out. Throughout the night my fever went very high, throwing up once with diarrhea continuing for 5 whole days. On the second day, the cramps started. The abdominal cramps were almost unbearable at times. It came usually after eating meals or drinking anything even water. Feeling very weak is definitely something to look for.

Comment from: Cloudlyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I had my first episode of guttate psoriasis two years ago when I turned 20. Initially when I went to the emergency room (ER) I was told I had chicken pox and a form of strep throat. I was prescribed medications to help and was sent home. After about another two weeks my skin was getting worse and worse, and it was now covering most of my legs, butt, back, and arms. So I went back to the ER and they referred me to a specialist and after 5 minutes of looking at my skin, he said I have guttate psoriasis and gave me prednisone, two topical creams and Claritin D. For about three weeks I had to take the medicines every day and rub the lotion on affected areas. It finally started to go away but it took initially 3 months for my skin to appear normal again. Worst time of my life and my doctor has told me it could happen again since I get strep throat and bronchitis so often. But all in all it made me love my skin even more and realize I have to take care of it. Since then I have been eating healthier since I have found it helps and use Aveeno oatmeal body wash which helps with the itchiness and dryness of my skin.

Comment from: Shivamadu, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I am suffering from typhoid. I have nausea, leg pain. I am taking cefixime and ofloxacin tablets, nimesulide and paracetamol tablets for the past 7 days, but still nausea and leg pain are there.

Comment from: lyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

It's almost 1 month already that I had fallen ill with typhoid. Every week 2 to 3 days I had fever. After 3 days my fever is gone and in another week my fever was back. I had cough and body pain especially in my joints, head ache. Sometimes I feel like vomiting and I feel I can't swallow my food.

Comment from: Tommy100, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I started feeling like something was wrong when my body didn't seem to recover from exercise properly. About 1 month later I got bronchitis. Then 6 weeks after this a bout of typhoid fever, with hot and cold sweats and high temperature that lasted about 10 days (7 in hospital on an IV drip). Now 3 months later my body still aches and I am fatigued (physically and mentally) on a daily basis, though some days I feel better than others. Not knowing what to expect is one of the worst parts of the illness.

Comment from: salman, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had typhoid in 2013 and also in 2014, and finally I am good, but I have been so weak and now I am feeling so lazy and with too much headache. I just want to be dead with this headache.

Comment from: Donna, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

I am trying to find out what can be done to help postpone the effects of Alzheimer's for my brother. He is having trouble with toileting, dressing, and general confusion. It is breaking my heart and I was hoping for something to buy a little time. I'm not ready to lose him.

Comment from: naseer abdulraheem, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I feel stomach pain and I always feel hungry.

Comment from: edo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I was diagnosed with typhoid fever when I was only 12 years old and this condition has only affected me twice. I thought I was going to die thank goodness I am still here. The fever, the loss of strength and the stomach pain are its worst symptoms. Now every time that eat I think twice, its scary to know that every day can be the day that you will get the symptoms again.

Comment from: kris, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

It's been just over 3 days with this illness. I went to the hospital for 2 days and my fever dropped. I thought I would be better but now I can't eat and have so much nausea and weakness. I need to take my finals soon too!

Comment from: dessy, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I had typhoid and was unconscious for three days. This has happened twice. I don't want this to happen again.

Comment from: Dondon, 45-54 Male Published: June 22

Is it possible to have typhoid without a fever?

Comment from: Sumu, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I got diagnosed with typhoid four months ago. By then I was feeling dizziness and chest pain. I was put on medication with antibiotics but never got well. Since then I have been treated 3 times for typhoid and brucella. I can't stand for long. I feel tired all the time and have chest pain.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

Some days ago, there was infection in my throat. Then I got fever up to 102C. I felt abdominal pain also. Now for the last many days about 7 days, I feel temperature and pain in my head and cold and pain in my legs and feet. I got tests from pathology lab for typhoid and malaria parasite but both are negative.

Comment from: Edu, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I have this chronic headache, chills and diarrhea with typhoid fever.

Comment from: ryan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I'm having a typhoid fever right now; I actually knew it just yesterday, when my doctor told me to have a typhoid fever test. It all started when I'm having a fever last week. Now the fever was gone, but I feel like I am always weak and I can't hardly even move because of the pain of my muscles, from my neck to my toes. I even feel severe pain in my toes, hands and hips. It seems like there is electricity running over my body. I am hoping that the medicine that was given by my doctor will treat this illness sooner.

Comment from: Tony, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

Just in my early 25, after I finished my National youth service of 1 year in the North eastern part of Nigeria. Never experienced this before. Some days ago in the month of June, 2011, I began to feel feverish on a light condition. At the same time, was also having serious diarrhea. I treated malaria for 4 days but I never got better. The fever only stopped but I was very weak, I lost appetite, had diarrhea almost constantly (about 3 to 5 hours), funny enough I also had constipation or indigestion. A friend advised me to go for a test of which I did and it was discovered that I had about 3 strains of typhi on the high side, the highest was 1/320. I started treating typhoid. I was thinking I would regain strength within 48 hours but it never happened. I had never been on medication for over 3 days so I was very surprised to be infected with something that had kept me down for over 6 days. I forced myself to eat and to walk around. 2 days after I began taking a drug for typhoid and diarrhea, I discovered I could sit up for up to 1 hour in the day time without feeling dizzy or sleepy. I believe everything will be okay soon.

Comment from: mo12g6, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

In 2009 I was diagnosed with typhoid fever. It all started with a chill and fever but I didn't see my doctor immediately because I felt it was a mere cold. A week later, I experience a severe headache, joint and body pains, indigestion, and belching stomach. I was taken to the doctor and was tested for both typhoid and malaria but unfortunately, was typhoid positive. I have been off and on, taking lot of antibiotics ranging from ciprofloxacin and chlorophenol drips as well as tablets. As I write, I am still sufferer of the disease. It is very bad having typhoid. You can never feel okay in your body at all.

Comment from: Jared, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I was diagnosed with typhoid fever in 1989, got treated and it disaapeared till 1997. From there after evry year at least twice I have to suffer an attack. This year alone I have being diagnosed twice and treated yet it does not clear. My problem is that I do not know whether I am being put of generics which I highly suspect is the case. I am in Nairobi-Kenya.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I contracted typhoid and malaria. I am not sure if the typhoid triggered the malaria, as I had not been in a malaria area for 3 months. As I was in Mauritania I was not expecting malaria (which I had never suffered before) and thought I only had kidney infections. The malaria symptoms overrode what could have been typhoid symptoms, and I was only identified with typhoid whilst in hospital with the malaria. I had a kidney infection, anemia and ended up with pneumonia as red blood cells were low. I have raised deep red spots on my stomach and had to undergo 3 weeks of antibiotics before the typhus was cleared in blood tests. The spots are still there and I believe will take weeks to disappear. Ongoing is tiredness.

Comment from: rose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

Four days back I had symptoms of fever and intolerable body pain that I had never experienced. I met the doctor and he asked me to take blood test. The next day the result came as Typhoid fever. On the same day he started the treatment with antibiotics. Second day morning I had severe shivering and high temperature about 104. Then it came to control now by following the medicines prescribed by my Doctor.

Comment from: achiless, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

I would rather say plague is better than typhoid. I was infected by typhoid nine times and still suffering. These diseases neither let me live nor die. I am fed up with the treatment of antibiotics, I never healed from these diseases.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter