Patient Comments: Typhoid Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with typhoid fever. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mrs Agrawal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

It started with mild fever off and on during the course of the day. Often the rise in temperature would take place in late evening and would go off after some hours, again in the midnight it would hit with severe pain in the forehead part at around 3:00 to 4:00 at night. In the morning I would start feeling better so went for work. During the day I had at times uneasiness, dizziness, nausea, and mild fever. I took antibiotics but it didn't work and fever became recurrent. I did blood test for MP (metabolic panel) and Widal and was diagnosed with typhoid after suffering for one month. I was treated and I got rid of the disease and now after about 11 months I have been again diagnosed with the disease.

Comment from: G kaler, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a typhoid fever attack this New Year when I was busy shopping for my marriage. One day I felt hot flushes, my energy dropped, and I was feeling so tired. My uncle who is a doctor prescribed some blood tests. My blood reports showed that I was suffering from typhoid, then my uncle prescribed me some antibiotics for 7 days. On the day of my marriage I had 100 degrees fever. And now after six months it has come back and again I'm on antibiotics. I can't take my daily meal properly, I feel nausea and have bladder disturbance also. Really, this typhoid freaked me out.

Comment from: Jazzie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I also suffered from typhoid fever. I just got out of the hospital where I was treated. This is the 5th time that I was diagnosed with this disease. First week symptoms are headache, lethargy, blurred vision, nausea, and muscle pains. I could not stand for two days and my head hurt like hell. I had no fever so I never suspected it was typhoid again. I am already a carrier of this disease so I'm really careful with my ways not to infect others. This disease had evolved and no fever had been involved in my case but I felt feverish. Body temperature ranges from 35 to 36.8 degree Celsius.

Comment from: geovanni11, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

This was really weird. I felt odd for about two months before I went in for blood tests. I felt bouts of dizziness and some random low grade headaches. I was freaking out because I had no idea what I had, doctors told me it was sinuses or allergies. I was first diagnosed with strep and was given antibiotics for 10 days, which somewhat helped but I developed new symptoms after I was done taking those antibiotics. I developed strange body pains, especially lower back and thighs. I went in for a blood test and tested positive for typhoid and paratyphoid fever. Strange thing though, I didn't have fever, but had occasional nausea and fatigue. I had it when I was 8 so I guess I am a carrier and happened to have mild symptoms again at 22. I'm on ciprofloxacin for 20 days 1 gm a day. Good luck to all suffering from typhoid fever!

Comment from: PPT, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I had typhoid fever on September 8. I have got treatment for 12 days, and after 15 days we did Widal test. The range is positive (H 320, O 320, AH 180, and BH 180). The doctor prescribed treatment for 19 days with medicine (azithromycin and cefixime), but after 12 days I got tired, but body temperature is normal (below range in thermometer).

Comment from: kendrick, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I have been experiencing some headache and dizziness for two months. I met my doctor and he gave me a drug called ciprofloxacin. I took it but the same typhoid symptom is back.

Comment from: Salam, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was having floaters in eyes suddenly, I realized that typhoid also can cause floaters in eyes. If someone has sudden floaters check for typhoid immediately.

Comment from: balkunwar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I am having typhoid fever sometime for 2 hours or more than 2 hours, about 5 to 6 hours for a long time, about 4 years. I also have pain in my back.

Comment from: Noemi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I got Typhoid 15 years ago and it never came back until around 5 years ago. It was low level, no fever, just very low energy and headache. Now it is back. I got a blood test and it said I have 1/160 Typhi H. I got on Cipro 1gr for 7 days but it came back after two weeks. I took Cipro again for 10 days, same dose. I finished the dose but still have a rash, at the end of the day I start feeling bad, I lose energy, and I have itches under my skin. I guess I have to take another antibiotic to clear this up, but which one? 15 years ago, I was given the Ampicillin and that seemed to clear it up well.

Comment from: Indigo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I contracted typhoid fever in 2005 while on vacation in Mexico. The day of my return, I became violently ill. I had uncontrollable diarrhea and vomiting. My fever shot up to 104 degrees, and I was hospitalized where I remained for seven days. I was packed on ice continually as my fever shot to105. I suffered convulsions. The pain in my body was so excruciating. I was put on a morphine drip, and I have a high tolerance for pain. Blood tests showed minimal kidney function and liver failure. Even after I was released, I continued to have fevers of 104 and 105. I was disabled by this illness for months.

Comment from: yucatanshadow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am in my 40's. I contracted Typhoid Fever about three years ago by drinking contaminated water in Mexico after Hurricane Wilma, it lasted for 8 months, I had a fever off and on and low blood pressure, headaches and was lethargic. I would have moments of severe heat inside my body, diarrhea and could not eat food for up to 8 days at a time, normally only 3 days of no eating, and this came in cycles, I was first diagnosed and treated with homeopathy, it did not work, and then I was given Chloramphenicol, it nearly killed me. I took it for 9 days, my blood pressure was 70 over 40 and I had severe headaches. I next went to a Doctor that performed colonics on me, 3 sessions, then to a doctor that uses Vibrational Herbal Medicine, she had to treat me for the side effects of the drug Chlor. it was a 2 month treatment of herbs, and a very clean diet void of Sugar and additives, I then returned to the states and had a disease specialist from India check me out, he did many tests for damage from the drug, MRI, Cat scan, Blood tests, etc, and he said amazingly I had no permanent damage from the drug, I did have a low white blood cell count and high allergy counts. I have never fully recovered and as I live in Mexico, I have flair-ups of symptoms from time to time, once a month for three months. I was getting nausea and diarrhea, and heat and chills and not being able to eat for 2 days at a time, I went to Argentina and started drinking Mate and my symptoms subsided, I still have a low white blood cell count, stomach trouble off and on and bladder and urination irritation and I have had eye irritation and saggy skin and dark circles under my eyes since I was sick, so I feel I have never truly recovered from this illness.

Comment from: ::LadyBond007::, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

When I was 12 years old, I got typhoid fever. One day I remember suddenly feeling as if the wind had been knocked out of me. All my energy fled from my body, and I immediately had to sit because I felt so weak. I told my parents I felt really weird. Then that evening, I started to get a really high fever. It was in the upper 100s. I continued with a high fever for weeks. My body ached so much and was so sensitive from the high fever that my mom couldn't even touch me to brush my hair because it hurt too much. I soon got on antibiotics, which didn't make much of a difference. I often was vomiting the medicine out, which was awful. Then the doctor gave me a specific vaccination and within a few days from getting the vaccination, I began to recover slowly and feel better.

Comment from: iluvnola2001, 45-54 Female Published: August 20

I had typhoid fever in 1972. Our family always received a yearly vaccine. Initially, it was as if I had a small cold. The cold did not dissipate. After a few weeks, went back to the doctor who diagnosed me with severe bronchitis. That continued for another 10 days. The extremely high fever hit all of sudden. At that point I was on a different island that took 12 hours to get home from. By the time I arrived home my fever was extremely high, I could not remember what was said from one second to another. All I wanted to do was sleep. The doctor admitted me to the hospital. I had alternating chills and feeling extremely hot for a week. I was allergic for the first two defenses of medication for treating typhoid fever. I was given the 3rd line of dense medication which did not work. They would give me an allergy shot 30 minutes prior to the 1st line of defense medication. After two weeks of being in the hospital I did not have a fever anymore. I was extremely week and fatigued for 3 months. I went to the states and started working 40 hours a week and going to school 20 hours a week. 8 months after my initial typhoid fever illness, I became sick again and had to rest for 6 weeks doing nothing at all. It took another two years for my body to finally feel rested. My hair did not fall out at the time of the typhoid fever but have been losing hair on a daily basis since then.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I am 35 years old. From last 3 year I continuously suffered from typhoid.

Comment from: Sudeep, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I was diagnosed with typhoid 4 days back. Since then there is no fever as such, yet there is perpetual headache throughout the day. It is a very slow recovery. Doctor has advised Cefolac, Pacimol and Dicaris.

Comment from: flicker, 45-54 Female Published: February 20

While teaching in Java in 2000, I contracted typhoid fever, even though I'd had the vaccine before going to Indonesia. I felt and looked like hell, but I still had to work. I remember having diarrhea, headaches and extreme fatigue, and I was sick for about nine months. I haven't really felt well since.

Comment from: Mama, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

One morning, my 6-year-old son woke up vomiting. Living in Zambia, Africa, there are no ambulances, so I had to wait until 8 a.m. which was four hours away. By the time the clinic opened, my son was dehydrated and put on a drip. He was tested for malaria and treated for malaria even though no malaria was found. He also started to have diarrhea, but after about eight hours, he was discharged, as he had improved. One week later, he developed a fever. Again two malaria tests were performed; both came out negative. He was again treated for malaria and also given and antibiotic ciproflacin. He improved only to get a bad headache a few days later and a fever. At this point, the doctor realized it was typhoid fever and put him on an antibiotic. I feel we are one of the few people to be able to be treated. I'm sure there are lots of other people who go undiagnosed and untreated.

Comment from: optimism, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

In 2001 Dec I started feeling headache on a daily basis. Later I began to have flu and chills. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I was just taking headache and cold and stomach upset drugs. After about three months I had a fever and went for test and was diagnosed for typhoid. By then I was severely sick. I commenced treatment and was on medication till 2007. Then people in my area used to say that typhoid had no cure so when ever I felt down I took drugs. I also experience palpitations.

Published: October 15

In 1994, I began feeling as if I were coming down with the stomach flu. I had continuous headaches, almost to the extent of a migraine. This continued for a couple of days, and then I began feeling light-headed and even blacked out. I was rushed to the hospital from my office where I was admitted, tested, and diagnosed with typhoid fever. I was given antibiotics through an IV for three days and then released. I continued on antibiotics for another two months. I took strong pain relievers for the headaches and treatment for the gas and abdominal pains. Even three years later, there was still a very small amount in the blood stream when blood tests were performed.

Comment from: Harjot S., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a low-grade fever along with a sore throat for two weeks. The doctor gave me two courses of medicine for a viral fever, but it didn't help. Then I was tested for typhoid fever, and it came back positive. I did not have a body ache, high fever or diarrhea. After 10 days of antibiotics, still no change. Another test showed an even larger grade of typhoid. Another five days of antibiotics followed. Today, I am better but exhausted. I had none of the conventional symptoms of typhoid but the blood tests confirmed it.

Published: July 15

I thought I had a cold at first because I felt weak, my body ached, I had the sniffles, and cold sweats. I went to the doctor and she sent me to get a blood analysis for typhoid fever. I tested positive. Today is the first day that I am taking medicine, and I already notice that my back doesn't ache so much. I am able to move around but I still don't have the energy like I usually do.

Published: July 10

When I had typhoid fever, I experienced few of the normal symptoms. One day, I had a headache, but nothing worse than I had experienced before. I thought perhaps I was coming down with a cold. The next day, I felt fine. But two days after the headache, I woke up with no appetite. I ate breakfast, despite the lack of appetite and felt fine. Two hours later, I had a horrible bout of nausea. I then spent the next two hours vomiting. I had nothing left in my stomach but continued bringing up bile. I went to the hospital and was tested. I tested positive for typhoid. The medication helped and I was soon feeling fine. The only problem I had was that I had a relapse about ten days later because the doctor did not prescribe the medicine for a long enough periods. But since then I have been fine.

Published: June 16

The beginning of mine I felt feverish. When I went to the hospital and the doctor ran the tests on me. I was told I am lacking Iron, so I was give medication for that after some weeks I went back with pains and headache. This time when the doctor ran the test again he detected the Typhoid so I am on Typhoid medication now and doing fine be his grace.

Published: June 16

When I had Typhoid fever, I experienced a lot of neck pain and weakness. I never had a fever at all though, which is strange to me. I was feeling a burning sensation in my body, and I thought I was burning up, but my temperature was always normal. In fact, it's been a few years now since I was diagnosed and treated, but I still feel all the symptoms. I never understood why that is.

Published: June 09

My serology test shows I have typhoid. The symptoms I have been experiences are 24-hour cold along with off and on sweating and tiredness. Except these I don't experience any symptoms.

Comment from: alfred, Male (Caregiver) Published: April 01

Stiffness of the neck, waist and limbs, also accompanied with severe churning stomach and general weakness and body pains.

Comment from: jzihuatanejo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I was living in Mexico City, Mexico. I remember I ate at a local hamburger establishment and about 10 days later I began getting this constant cough. I thought that is all it was but then I began getting fever and terrible chills at night. I was taking aspirin and the fever calmed down somewhat but then it went up again a few hours later. My fever got up to 104 and I felt terrible. I lost my appetite and lost over 10 pounds. I finally went to the doctor and was tested for Typhoid fever. I started taking medications and it finally went away. I was sick for about 4 weeks.

Comment from: Samad Kottur, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

A few days back, I fell tired with slight body pain. On that night only I got terrible fever. I had not experienced such fever before. I shivered through out the night. My tonsils swollen, my limbs and back aching horribly, mouth tasting very bad. Next morning I got my blood checked up for Malaria and typhoid. The medical officer told me that I have got typhoid fever. The doctor gave me cefuroxime axetil antibiotics. Now I am gradually recovering.

Comment from: Daney, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

My wife is suffering typhoid fever. Her fever started in the evening. She has pain in her legs and backbone, hair loss, angry behavior, and weight loss.

Comment from: Eulalia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been travelling in Asia for the last year. I contracted Typhoid in Thailand and was misdiagnosed initially as I had been vaccinated and so did not display the classical symptoms, no fever, pains etc just chronic vomiting and stomach cramps. I was eventually diagnosed through blood tests and treated with a very strong anti-biotic called metronidazole for 10 days and that seemed to clear it. However I got a small relapse about 2 weeks later and had to take more antibiotics. I have no gallbladder anyways so perhaps the bacteria were more concentrated elsewhere.

Comment from: stranger, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

Two weeks ago I went for my check up and the doctor told me I had typhoid. Since then I have been weak and have lost my appetite.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter