Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes include frequent urination, unintentional weight loss, dry and itchy skin, vision problems, wounds that heal slowly, and excessive thirst.Read more: Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Diabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Discover the best and worst meals for diabetes-savvy dining. See how to avoid carbs and control your blood sugar with healthier...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Protein Quiz: Foods High in Protein
Protein is a staple in our diets, but what happens if we get too much? Take this quiz to find out the truth about protein and...
Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
What causes type 2 diabetes? Can it be prevented? Take this online quiz and challenge your knowledge of this common condition....
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
Type 1 Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What are the causes of type 1 diabetes? Take this quiz and challenge your knowledge of causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatments...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Exercise and Fitness Quiz: Test Your IQ
Take our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major...
Type 1 Diabetes: What Are The Symptoms?
What is type 1 diabetes? Is there a cure for type 1 diabetes? Learn about type 1 diabetes symptoms, warning signs, causes, and...
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Improve Diabetes Nerve Pain
Read about diabetic peripheral neuropathy and exercises to manage nerve pain. Learn how to cope with the symptoms of diabetic...
Blood Sugar Swings: Tips for Managing Diabetes & Glucose Levels
Learn to better control your glucose levels by preventing blood sugar swings. Beware of caffeine, sugary foods, spices, exercise,...
Pictures of the 7 Most Effective Exercises to Do at the Gym or Home (and Tips to Improve Form)
These seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most...
Top Diets: The Best Dieting Tips Ever for Weight Loss
What separates good diets from the best diets? These weight loss strategies--like drink more water, eat breakfast, sleep...
Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them
Working out is supposed to make you healthier--but some exercises can leave your body at risk of pain or injury. Some exercises...
Diabetes Tips: Managing and Living With Diabetes
If you have either type 1 or type 2 diabetes, you need to approach life differently. Learn nutrition tips to control blood sugar,...
Travel Tips for Better Diabetes Control
Traveling with diabetes can be intimidating, but it shouldn't stop you! Learn tips for packing your diabetic supplies, how to...
The 30-Minute Fitness Routine in Pictures
This quick, high-intensity 30-minute workout routine can make you look better and feel better. Discover the right way to do...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Healthy Seeds: 11 Edible Super Seeds for Better Nutrition
Are pumpkin seeds good for your health? What's the nutritional value of chia seeds? Find out how to easily incorporate more...
Portion Control Tips: Lose Weight and Stick to Your Diet
Portion control can help with weight loss and help you stick to a healthy diet. But how much is too much? This photo guide will...
Vegetarian Diet: Tasty, Basic Choices in Pictures
Thinking about becoming a vegetarian? Compared to the general population, the typical vegetarian has a lower body mass index...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
These fitness facts explain why to get in shape. Check out these health facts on the benefits of exercise....
Diabetes Diet: 11 Low-Sugar Drink Ideas
Searching for low-sugar drink ideas? This pictures slideshow has eleven beverages ideal for people with diabetes and those...
Healthy Dieting Myths and Facts
Learn about healthy dieting myths and facts. Can't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the...
Diabetes Management Tips and Preventing Complications
Learn 10 simple ways to better manage your diabetes. See tips for controlling blood sugar, diet and exercise and other helpful...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Low-carb, high-protein diets are quite popular. High protein diets let you snack on protein-rich foods you love, but what are the...
Exercise and Fitness: 10 Budget-Friendly Exercise Gadgets
There are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes,...
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
Grocery Smarts: 'Healthy Fat' Foods for Fitness in Pictures
A healthy diet starts at the grocery store. See which fat foods to avoid and which fit foods to choose....
No-Gym Workout in Pictures: Equipment, Routines, and More
Learn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes Symptoms in Men
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person's blood sugar (blood glucose) is either too high (hyperglycemia) or too low...
Diabetes Diet for Type 2 Diabetes, List of Foods
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Graves' Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment Options)
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid. Some of the symptoms of Graves' disease include hand tremors,...
Peripheral Neuropathy (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment Medications)
Peripheral neuropathy is a problem with the functioning of the nerves outside of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include numbness,...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar....
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Symptoms, Diet, Treatments, Pregnancy)
Hashimoto's thyroiditis or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disorder causing inflammation of the thyroid gland....
Fatty Liver (NASH)
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or NASH occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Gastroparesis is a medical condition in which the muscle of the stomach is paralyzed by a disease of either the stomach muscle...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
High Blood Sugar (Glucose, Hyperglycemia)
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Normal Blood Sugar Levels (Ranges) In Adults with Diabetes
People with diabetes can manage and prevent low or high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia) by keeping a log of...
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Contagious?
Bacteria such as E. coli or Pseudomonas can cause a urinary tract infection (UTI). The incubation period for a UTI ranges from...
Thrush and Other Yeast Infections in Children
Yeast infections are caused by an overgrowth of a type of fungus called Candida. Oral thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Celiac disease is a condition in which a person has inflammation of the small intestinal mucosa when exposed to gluten in the...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes symptoms in women include vaginal itching, pain, or discharge, loss if interest or pain after having sex, polycystic...
Diabetes and Foot Problems (Treatment)
Diabetes related foot problems can affect your health with two problems: diabetic neuropathy, where diabetes affects the nerves,...
Preeclampsia and Eclampsia
Preeclampsia is a condition in pregnant women marked by high blood pressure and a high level of protein in the urine. Eclampsia...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Diabetes and Eye Problems
Diabetes and eye problems are generally caused by high blood sugar levels over an extended period of time. Types of eye problems...
Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes
Having diabetes can mean early onset and increased severity of bladder symptoms (urinary incontinence and urinary tract...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Diabetes and Kidney Disease
In the United States diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. High blood pressure and high levels of blood glucose...
DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) During Pregnancy
Deep vein thrombosis or DVT is a condition in which a blood clot becomes embedded in one of the deep veins of the arms, thighs,...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Preeclampsia (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension)
Preeclampsia is related to increased blood pressure and protein in the mother's urine. Preeclampsia typically begins after the...
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Taking care of a disease such as diabetes is a life-long process. Learn how to care for yourself or loved one with diabetes in...
Diabetes - Safe Drugs for Colds and the Flu
If you have diabetes and catch a cold or the flu, can be more difficult to recover from infections and their complications, for...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- High Insulin Costs Come Under Fire on Capitol Hill
- Eli Lilly to Sell Cheaper Version of Insulin Drug
- Continuous Glucose Monitors Make Managing Diabetes Easier
- Diabetic Crisis? 'Wonder Dog' Emma Alerts Owner to the Danger
- Eating Before Bedtime Won't Send Blood Sugar Levels Soaring
- Insulin Price More Than Doubles in U.S.
- FDA Panel Splits Vote on New Diabetes Drug
- Study Examines Link Between Type 1 Diabetes, Broken Bones
- Diet Soda Linked to Risk for Diabetic Blindness
- Scientists Get Closer to Generating Cells Lost to Diabetes
- Do Diabetics Really Need to Fast for Blood Tests?
- High Cost Has Over 1 in 4 Diabetics Cutting Back on Insulin
- Health Tip: Common Symptoms of Diabetes
- Marijuana Use Tied to Serious Diabetes Complication
- Type 1 Diabetes Often Misdiagnosed in Adults
- Storing Insulin in Home Fridges May Lower Effectiveness
- Diabetes, Dementia Can Be Deadly Combination
- Severe Infections Rising Among Americans With Diabetes
- Mom-to-Be's High-Gluten Diet Linked to Type 1 Diabetes in Baby
- 30 Million Americans Now Have Diabetes
- Early Onset Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Heart Disease, Shorter Life
- Study Confirms Added Cancer Risk for Diabetics, Especially Women
- Adding or Switching Diabetes Drugs Can Put Patients at Risk: Study
- Insurance Gaps Costly for Those With Type 1 Diabetes
- Will the Future Be Needle-Free for Diabetics?
- Stigma Adds to Burden of Type 1 Diabetes
- Low-Carb Diet May Benefit People With Type 1 Diabetes: Study
- Health Tip: Understanding Diabetic Eye Disease
- Add Muscle Weakness as Another Cost of Type 1 Diabetes
- For Hard-to-Manage Type 1 Diabetes, Transplant Makes Life Better
- Health Tip: If You're Diabetic and Vegetarian
- Emergency Services Crews Often Unprepared for Diabetic Crises
- Diabetics May Often Fare Poorly in Hospice Care
- Special Baby Formula Doesn't Seem to Prevent Type 1 Diabetes
- New Diabetes Drug Gets FDA OK Under 'Abbreviated' Pathway
- Insulin Pill May Delay Type 1 Diabetes in Some
- Pump May Beat Shots for Type 1 Diabetes
- Where There's Type 1 Diabetes, Celiac Disease May Follow
- Increasing Salt Intake Tied to Diabetes Risk
- Could Swine Flu Be Linked to Type 1 Diabetes?
- Immunotherapy Shown Safe in Type 1 Diabetes Clinical Trial
- Instagram Shows How Diabetics Really Wear a Glucose Monitor
- Many People With Type 1 Diabetes Still Make Some Insulin
- Key Diabetes Test Gives Higher Blood Sugar Readings in Black Patients
- For Diabetics, Nasal Powder Fixed Severe Low Blood Sugar
- Study Confirms Link Between Diabetes Med and Rare But Dangerous Complication
- Transplant of Insulin-Producing Cells Offers Hope Against Type 1 Diabetes
- Many Kids With Diabetes Missing Out on Eye Exams, Study Finds
- Youth With Type 2 Diabetes Often Face Complications
- Diabetes Risk May Be Higher for HIV-Positive Adults
- Mary Tyler Moore: Diabetes Patient and Advocate
- TV Icon Mary Tyler Moore Dies at 80
- High-Tech Blood Sugar Monitors May Help People With Type 1 Diabetes
- Most Cow's Milk Baby Formulas Don't Up Risk of Type 1 Diabetes
- Study Ties Inflammation, Gut Bacteria to Type 1 Diabetes
- Common Virus May Have Ties to Type 1 Diabetes
- FDA OKs High-Tech Diabetes Device to Help Replace Fingerstick Tests
- Insulin Prices Skyrocket, Putting Many Diabetics in a Bind
- Health Tip: Creating an Insulin Routine
- New Guidelines Urge Diabetics to Move More
- Exercise Can Help Manage Type 1 Diabetes
- 'Artificial Pancreas' Approved for Type 1 Diabetes
- Older Drug May Help Type 1 Diabetics' Heart Health
- Mouse Study Suggests Antibiotics in Kids Might Help Spur Type 1 Diabetes
- FDA OKs New Injectable Type 2 Diabetes Medication
- U.S. Teen Diabetes Rate Exceeds Prior Estimates
- 'Hacking' a Diabetes Cure?
- Could Infant Colds, Other Infections Raise Type 1 Diabetes Risk?
- Widely Used Type 2 Diabetes Drug May Reduce Cancer Death Risk
- Diabetes Steals Years, Adds Disabilities
- Cost of Insulin Rises Threefold in Just a Decade: Study
- Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Epilepsy Risk, Study Suggests
- A Wearable Patch Might Help Manage Diabetes Painlessly
- Diabetes May Raise Risk for Dangerous Staph Infection
- Is Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Raised Risk of Certain Cancers?
- New Transplant Technique Might Free Type 1 Diabetics From Daily Injections
- Artificial Pancreas to Get Long-Term 'Real-Life' Trial
- More U.S. Kids Have Type 1 Diabetes, But Researchers Don't Know Why
- Nasal Spray May Give Diabetics Faster Treatment for Low Blood Sugar
- Infant Weight Gain Linked to Possible Type 1 Diabetes Risk
- New Diabetes Cases Among Americans Drop for First Time in Decades: CDC
- Metformin May Not Help Obese Teens With Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes: An Unrelenting Disease
- Newborn Probiotic Use Tied to Lower Risk of Type 1 Diabetes
- Insulin Pumps Give Kids With Type 1 Diabetes Better Blood Sugar Control
- Artificial Pancreas Works Well in Home Trial
- Can Eye Screening for Diabetic Kids Be Delayed a Bit?
- Insulin Pumps Nearly Halve Risk of Heart Disease Death for Type 1 Diabetics
- Psoriasis Drug May Help Preserve Pancreas Cells in Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Higher Risk of Dementia
- Cost a Barrier to Healthier Diets for Diabetic Kids, Study Shows