Patient Comments: Tuberculosis - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your tuberculosis established? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: pucca31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I started with tuberculosis symptoms 12 months before I was diagnosed. Night sweats and a cough were the first signs, then chest pain, fevers, sputum, weakness and weight loss. I had to go to my doctors on five occasions to be told that I had a chest infection, asthma and pleurisy. Eventually, a chest X-ray and blood were taken to discover it was tuberculosis (T.B.). By that time I was really ill and weak. I recall this as a nightmare. I then was taken to two drugs after a couple of months and my symptoms came back. I had to be isolated for nearly two months and given second-line drugs such as streptomycin injections. I had a six-drug therapy which made me feel sick all of the time. It was not nice. I panic every time I have an infection or a cough. I worry that it might be back to haunt me.

Comment from: pos for tb, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was in the army when I was exposed to tuberculosis. I have lived with it for 16 years. I have non active TB. I'm being monitored at the Veteran Affairs hospital ever since. I had to go through a long treatment program, but grateful to be alive still!

Comment from: rahul, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I had pain in the right side just under my arm pit and down to my rib cage. I only had pain when I coughed, hiccupped or stretched out my right arm. My doctor initially thought it a strained muscle but after 3 days of treatment she sent me for X-Ray which found a small spot on the upper part of my right lung and some fluid at the base. She diagnosed TB and after giving me some injections, put me on a course of tablets twice a day. She told me that the condition was not serious but would take up to 6 months to remove the symptoms.

Comment from: Don, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

During my second semester at the graduate school where I was taking my MBA, I started waking up in the middle of the night soaked in sweat. A week after I started to have a fever every afternoon and felt some pain in my back. Shortly after a few days my cough started, so I went to the doctor and he told me it was just a mild case of respiratory infection and he just gave me antibiotics. After a week with no visible improvements, I decided to go to a pulmonologist and he finds out from my chest x-ray that my right lungs is positive with fluid, so I had to undergo thoracentesis. Just after 2 days, the pleural fluid test result came out that I was positive with TB. It was so hard for me to accept that I had to stop studying for more than four months just to be sure that I won't be able to infect my friends and classmates. I hope it won't come back ever again.

Comment from: Steve, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

My lymph nodes in the neck (to the right) started swelling up. Usually one node would swell up to quite a large size and the surrounding nodes to a lesser degree. The lymph node would return to normal size in around two to three months. Sometimes there would be no swelling for a few months and then another node would swell up again. Initially, doctors thought of it as a minor infection but later asked me to get the skin test done. The test confirmed it as tuberculosis. I am currently undergoing treatment.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My son and I had positive skin tests when he was in preschool. He was treated with the INH drug therapy; I was not because I didn't have any symptoms, but during the time he was being treated I was doing research at the library,(it was in the early 70's), and I read that the disease can remain in the body for many years and eventually effect the bone. I have suffered from bone pain in my thigh for years and have had x-rays and an MRI, along with shots of cortisone. It has been diagnosed as bursitis.

Comment from: Lost in NY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

While undergoing counseling for a DWI charge, I was required to have a physical. The skin test came back positive (10mm x 13mm). I had the chest x-ray the same day and I am waiting for the results from the x-ray.

Comment from: rojo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I was given a skin test when I entered my self into a drug treatment facility for prescription drug addiction and the test came back positive 25mm. They also did a blood test and chest x-ray. The x-ray showed signs on one lung and then I was sent to do a sputum test. I was diagnosed with inactive T-B. I am on a 9 month treatment program.

Published: July 25

I was seeking a visa for one of the Gulf State countries and following procedure I had a skin test which proved positive (25mm). After consultation and x-rays the tuberculosis was tracked down to my right kidney. It could not be certified as latent and I therefore have undergone Quadra therapy with little adverse effects.

Comment from: sally, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was coughing for weeks, waking up in the morning on numerous occasions saturated in sweat but feeling fine. Eventually, after about eight weeks, I had a loss of appetite and weight loss. I was getting sharp pains in my back at night. I went to the same doctor about four times complaining of the cough that wouldn't go away. I was given antibiotics each time and sent away. I didn't mention the night sweats or weight loss to the doctor at the time as didn't think they were related. Eventually, I felt out of breath and dizzy. After a few days off work just feeling sick and weak, I took myself to a hospital and asked them to do some tests. They took an X-ray and found my left lung full of fluid. I had a lung tap that same day to remove the fluid. I immediately felt better after the tap. I was diagnosed with TB and then put on a course of drugs for six months. I'm now fully recovered. My TB was a rare case, as I'm young and healthy, but I do live in Hong Kong where TB is common. At the time of contracting it, I was run down and going through some emotional issues, which I guess affected my immune system.

Published: July 23

My TB was diagnosed when I undergone pre-employment medical procedures. I never felt any symptom that's why I was shocked when the HR people asked me to take an APICO XRAY because of a suspicious opacity remark on my certificate. I found out after, that I was positive with TB.

Published: June 19

Is there a way to determine how old is the tuberculosis which is diagnosed in one´s body. I was diagnosed lymph node TB but was told it was an old one and our doctors discounted the possibility that I get it from my dealing with our patients. I am a Filipino nurse and worked in since 13 yrs in the Infection Dept (Com Disease)In our family history, no one is has this disease.

Comment from: Dianna Kim,RPH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

The disease TB needs a test annually, so I am a pharmacist and I went to a local community clinic for low income people in downtown LA and the doctors said I have a positive result. These Chinese doctors near the Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA were not correct. I never had a positive result and the bump on the arm was not positive.

Comment from: funny55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had been sick for 6 months and was told it was the flu. I was told it was walking pneumonia. Then I was told that my seasonal allergies were acting up. I told them that my allergies have never been this bad so an x-ray was done and they found something. More tests were done to find the dormant tuberculosis. I was very surprised. I am not really worried.

Comment from: JAMES, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My immediate elder brother, a diabetic, has just been confirmed having TB. He is a family man with his wife and four children leaving in the same room. Two days ago he started noticing blood while he coughs. He used to smoke cigarette for about 15 yrs but stopped 3 months ago under doctor's advice. How do we prevent his wife and children from being infected and how possible is it for him to be cured considering the fact that he is diabetic?

Comment from: Harry, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I had TB of lungs 6 years ago. I successfully finished the nine month medication and went back to my normal life. I had a swollen lymph node. After a biopsy, I was told that I had TB of the lymph node. I then developed a swelling inside the scrotum and I was told that it is part of the TB symptoms.

Comment from: T, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

Until the age of eleven, I had recurring fevers that lasted for about three days an episode, accompanied by heavy breathing and cough, but no aches and pains. The mystery fevers are in exile now, hopefully they will be forever. My doctor's prognosis was TB, and I was put on antibiotics for many months until I got better. I don't remember if I had any confirmation tests done.

Comment from: Neil, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

I was diagnosed with atypical TB from fluid drawn off the left elbow bursa.

Comment from: funny55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

It was detected by e-ray. And ct.Was having trouble breathing.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

During routine X-Ray screening for health reasons, doctor saw a calcification on my lung.

Published: August 14

My skin test showed positive and I was having night sweats.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter