- Heartburn Slideshow: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
- 10 Facts About the Amazing Brain
- Weight Gain Shockers Slideshow Pictures
- What is trovafloxacin mesylate, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for trovafloxacin mesylate?
- Is trovafloxacin mesylate available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for trovafloxacin mesylate?
- What are the side effects of trovafloxacin mesylate?
- What is the dosage for trovafloxacin mesylate?
- Is trovafloxacin mesylate safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about trovafloxacin mesylate?
What is trovafloxacin mesylate, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Many common infections in humans are caused by single cell organisms, called bacteria. Bacteria can grow and multiply, infecting different parts of the body. Medicines that control and eradicate these bacteria are called antibiotics. Trovafloxacin is an antibiotic that stops multiplication of bacteria by preventing the reproduction and repair of their genetic material (DNA). It is among a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones, a class that includes ciprofloxacin (Cipro), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxin), levofloxacin (Levaquin), and lomefloxacin (Maxaquin). Trovafloxacin was approved by the FDA in 1997.
Pfizer withdrew Trovan from Markets worldwide in 2001 because of the risk of fatal liver failure.
What are the side effects of trovafloxacin mesylate?
The most frequently reported side effects associated with trovafloxacin include
Trovafloxacin as well as other antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics, has been associated with tendinitis and even rupture of tendons, particularly the Achilles tendon. Some physicians recommend that their patients discontinue vigorous exercise while they are taking fluoroquinolone antibiotics.
What is the dosage for trovafloxacin mesylate?
Trovafloxacin usually is given once daily, with or without food. It is important to take it at least 2 hours before or 2 hours after antacids or mineral supplements containing iron, calcium, zinc, or magnesium which bind the antibiotic and prevent its absorption.
Is trovafloxacin mesylate safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
Trovafloxacin is not recommended for use in pregnant women since trovafloxacin causes joint and bone deformities in juvenile animals of several species.
Trovafloxacin is not recommended for use in lactating women. Trovafloxacin causes joint and bone deformities in juvenile animals of several species. In fact, trovafloxacin is not recommended in persons under the age of 18 years.
Trovafloxacin mesylate (Trovan) is a medication prescribed to treat a variety of infections. Trovan was withdrawn from the Markets worldwide in 2001 because of the risk of liver failure in patients taking Trovan.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Medication Disposal
- Dangers of Mixing Medications
- How To Reduce Your Medication Costs
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Indications for Drugs: Approved vs. Non-approved
- Drugs: Buying Prescription Drugs Online Safely
- Drugs: The Most Common Medication Errors
- Antibiotics 101
- Generic Drugs, Are They as Good as Brand-Names?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
Drugs and Treatment Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Reference: FDA Prescribing Information