Triglycerides are a common form of fat that we digest. Triglycerides are the main ingredient in animal fats and vegetable oils. Elevated levels of triglycerides are a risk factor for heart disease, heart attack, stroke, fatty liver disease, and pancreatitis. Elevated levels of triglycerides are also associated with diseases like diabetes, kidney disease, and medications (for example, diuretics, birth control pills, and beta blockers). Dietary changes, and medication if necessary can help lower triglyceride blood levels. Read more: Triglycerides (Tests and Lowering Your Triglyceride Levels) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Cholesterol Levels: What the Numbers Mean
Do you know the different cholesterol levels and what they mean? Learn the alphabet soup of cholesterol testing: LDL, HDL, good,...
Pictures of the Belly-Fattening Foods That Men Love
Belly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist,...
Stress Quiz: Test Your Emotional IQ
Stress creeps into everyone's life at one time or another, while some people will suffer from poorly managed chronic stress. If...
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
Fat and Fats Quiz: Fatty Food & Body Fat Percentage
Take this online Fat & Fats Quiz to learn if you really are what you eat!...
Triglycerides Quiz: Are Yours Normal?
What are triglycerides? Triglycerides are particles in the blood that transport fat. They can put you at risk for serious...
Exercise and Fitness Quiz: Test Your IQ
Take our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major...
Picture of Carotid Artery Disease
Also called carotid artery stenosis, the term refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries. See a picture of Carotid Artery...
Picture of Cholesterol
Cholesterol carried in particles of low density (LDL cholesterol) is referred to as the "bad" cholesterol because elevated levels...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Pictures of the 7 Most Effective Exercises to Do at the Gym or Home (and Tips to Improve Form)
These seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Heart Health Pictures: How to Lower Triglycerides
Learn 14 ways to lower triglycerides. Learn to keep your heart healthy and triglyceride levels in check with these diet,...
The Worst Foods in Your Fridge
What are the worst foods to eat in your fridge? From mayonnaise to ice cream and butter to processed lunch meats, learn about the...
Sugar Addiction Facts: Cravings, Hidden Sugar, and More in Pictures
Learn about sugar addiction to see why we often crave sweets and binge on carbs. Learn how sugar affects the brain and get tips...
Fat-Burning Foods in Pictures: Blueberries, Green Tea, and More
Learn about fat-fighting foods such as grapefruit, hot peppers, vinegar, and more. Discover the benefits along with surprising...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
Heart-Healthy Diet: 25 Foods to Protect Your Cardiovascular System
See 25 foods loaded with heart-healthy nutrients that help protect your cardiovascular system. Plus, find easy meal/recipes and...
Cholesterol: High Triglyceride Foods to Avoid
High triglycerides increase the risk of heart disease. Lower triglyceride levels and reduce cholesterol by eating foods that...
Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them
Working out is supposed to make you healthier--but some exercises can leave your body at risk of pain or injury. Some exercises...
Snacks With 100 Calories or Less
Reducing calories is an effective weight loss strategy. Here are 25 100-calorie snacks that offer quick, satisfying solutions to...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
12 Reasons to Love the Mediterranean Diet in Pictures
The Mediterranean diet is a delicious way to eat healthy. We show you how to get the most from this diet with foods like olive...
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
Tips to Eat Healthy When You Dine Out in Pictures
Recognize the dangers of eating out and stay on your healthy diet at restaurants. Learn about healthy eating at restaurants,...
Portion Control Tips: Lose Weight and Stick to Your Diet
Portion control can help with weight loss and help you stick to a healthy diet. But how much is too much? This photo guide will...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
These fitness facts explain why to get in shape. Check out these health facts on the benefits of exercise....
Easy, Tasty Grilled Foods for Dinner Tonight in Pictures
Explore easy and tasty grilled foods. When your rushed to get dinner on the table, fire up the grill and use these delicious,...
Healthy Dieting Myths and Facts
Learn about healthy dieting myths and facts. Can't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the...
Stress Pictures Slideshow: 10 Ways to Stop Stress
Feeling stressed? Watch this pictures slideshow for 10 ways to stop stress now. Focusing on breathing, journaling, and even...
Food Cravings Slideshow: Chocolate, Carbs, Salt, Sugar
Learn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings...
Exercise and Fitness: 10 Budget-Friendly Exercise Gadgets
There are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes,...
Most Fattening Foods of Summer: Drinks and Snacks With High Fat or Calories
Summertime living may be easy, but if you're not careful, summer's fattening foods can really pack on the pounds. Discover the...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Frighteningly Fattening Fall Foods in Pictures
Learn how to keep your diet in check this fall. Look at some of the season's most fattening foods, along with tips on how to...
Fitness and Exercise: Working Out When You're Over 50
As you get older, you'll have new things to consider about exercise. Find out what you need, why it helps, and activities well...
10 Tips for a Healthier Fast Food Diet
Losing weight is tough on the road. Fast food can't compare to the health of a well-planned, balanced diet. But if you must eat...
Worst-Appetizer Pictures: Spinach Dip, Potato Skins, and More
A tasty appetizer can be a great start to any meal--but some appetizers are diet disasters. Potato skins and cheese fries pack on...
Exercise and Fitness: The 7-Minute Workout
The 7-minute workout provides a free, convenient way to get and stay fit. Discover these short, quick exercises that use your own...
Grocery Smarts: 'Healthy Fat' Foods for Fitness in Pictures
A healthy diet starts at the grocery store. See which fat foods to avoid and which fit foods to choose....
No-Gym Workout in Pictures: Equipment, Routines, and More
Learn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and...
Exercise Tips for Kids and the Whole Family
Exercise is great for kids, and fun activities for the whole family are there if you know how to find them. Learn how to lose...
Related Disease Conditions
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Liver Disease Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, and Life Expectancy
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases, for example, gallstones, high...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Acute & Chronic Pancreatitis: Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
Pancreatitis is a rare disease in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. There are two types of pancreatitis: acute and chronic....
Birth Control Options (Types and Side Effects)
Birth control is available in a variety of methods and types. The method of birth control varies from person to person, and their...
How to Lower Triglycerides Naturally
Trigylcerides are fatty molecules that travel in the bloodstream. Excess sugar and fat can increase triglyceride levels....
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
Fatty Liver (NASH)
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or NASH occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Stress and Heart Disease
The connection between stress and heart disease is not clear. Stress itself may be a risk factor, or high levels of stress may...
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Benefits, Uses, Foods)
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that help decrease one's cholesterol and triglyceride levels as well as reduce the risk of...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Hookahs vs. Cigarette Smoking (Addiction and Health Dangers)
A hookah is a water pipe that's used to smoke flavored tobacco like watermelon, licorice, coconut, chocolate, cherry, mint,...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Heart Disease in Women
Heart disease in women has somewhat different symptoms, risk factors, and treatment compared to heart disease in men. Many women...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
Smoking and Heart Disease
Smoking increases the risk of heart disease in women and men. Nicotine in cigarettes decrease oxygen to the heart, increases...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking....
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- Birth Control Pills (List of Oral Contraceptives and Side Effects)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- Bile Acid Sequestrants
- fenofibrate (Antara, Fenoglide, Fibricor, Lipofen, Lofibra, Tricor, Triglide, Trilipix)
- Zocor (simvastatin)
- gemfibrozil (Lopid)
- lovastatin (Mevacor, Altoprev)
- omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Lovaza)
- alirocumab (Praluent)
Prevention & Wellness
- Prescription Fish Oil Pill Lowers Heart Attack Risk in Those Already on Statins
- Patients With Primary Care Docs May Get Better Health Care
- Too Much Fried Food May Shorten Your Life
- Health Tip: Tracking High Triglycerides
- The 411 on High Triglycerides
- Health Tip: The Facts About Fat
- Race Plays Role in Heart, Diabetes Risk, Even at Normal Weight
- Fish Oil Pills May Help After Heart Attack, Specialists Say
- 1 in 7 Obese People Has Normal Blood Pressure, Cholesterol
- Common Virus May Be Linked to Heart Disease, Diabetes in Some Women
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Help Obese Patients Beat Diabetes
- Heart Risks May Boost Women's Colon Cancer Risk, Too
- The Shame of 'Fat Shaming'
- Americans' Cholesterol Levels Keep Falling
- Is It Really True That Chocolate May Be Good for You?
- Eliminate Sweetened Drinks, Cut Kids' Sugar Intake
- 'Spare Tire' May Be Tougher on Your Heart Than 'Love Handles'
- Sleep Troubles, Heart Troubles?
- Sugar Companies Shifted Focus to Fat as Heart Harm: Study
- Intensive Type 2 Diabetes Treatment Can Extend Survival: Study
- Fried, Grilled or Baked Foods? They May Affect Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- Heart Risk Factors Rise Before Menopause
- Cutting Down on Sweets Can Help Kids' Hearts
- Cutting Sugar From Diet Boosts Kids' Health Immediately: Study
- Study Sees Link Between High Cholesterol and Tendon Trouble
- Sweetened Drinks May Damage Heart, Review Finds
- Gut Bugs May Affect Body Fat, 'Good' Cholesterol Levels
- Stand, Don't Sit, to Get Healthier, Researchers Say
- New Drug Lowers Levels of Triglyceride Blood Fats: Study
- Health Tip: Exercise Boosts Heart Health
- Heart Risk Factors May Harm Black Women More Than Whites
- Staying Fit May Delay Onset of High Cholesterol, Study Finds
- Americans' Blood Triglyceride Levels Dropping: CDC
- Blood Fats Hold Vitamin E Captive, Study Shows
- Nuts Linked to Better Heart Health for Teens
- Avocados Help Lower Cholesterol in Some People
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Heart Disease in Women
- Another Study Links Mediterranean Diet to Better Heart Health
- High Cholesterol Tied to Prostate Cancer's Return in Study
- Health Tip: Troubled by High Triglycerides?
- Zydelig Approved for Three Types of Blood Cancer
- Rare Gene Mutations May Help Shield the Heart
- Treating Sleep Apnea May Lower Heart Risks, Study Finds
- For Many Men, Impotence Is Treatable Without Drugs
- For Many Older Men, Impotence Is Treatable Without Drugs
- Many Kids May Have High Cholesterol, Regardless of Weight
- Marathon Training Might Boost Heart Health
- Another Win for the Mediterranean-Style Diet
- Diabetes Drugs Affect Hearts of Men, Women Differently
- 'Healthy' Obesity May Still Carry Higher Health Risks
- Weight-Loss Surgery Seems to Beat Diet and Exercise
- Study Questions Fish Oil Brain Claims
- Study May Help Explain Delay of Heart Disease in Women
- New Drug Shows Promise for Type 2 Diabetes
- Women Smokers Face Increased Risk of Lethal Stroke: Review
- Red Wine Supplement May Block Benefits of Exercise in Older Men
- Type 2 Diabetes Progresses Faster in Kids, Study Finds
- Niacin Won't Help, May Harm Heart Patients: Study
- Cholesterol Levels May Vary By Season
- Niacin-Statin Combo May Cause Side Effects for Heart Patients
- Health Tip: Should I Be Screened for Prediabetes?
- For Texas Man, Bariatric Surgery Led to Diabetes-Free Life
- Fish Oil Supplements Won't Prevent Irregular Heart Beat: Study
- Yo-Yo Dieting Can Hurt the Heart, Study Finds
- Brown Fat Transplants May Spur Weight Loss
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
- Supplements of Red Wine Antioxidant Don't Help Obese Men
- New Treatment Aids Weight Loss, Improves Diabetes in Monkeys
- Fasting May Not Be Needed Before Cholesterol Test
- Junk Food Hurts Your Arteries, But Healthy Meal Might Help
- Cholesterol Levels Down Among U.S. Adults
- Child Obesity Risks May Be Greater Than Thought
- Obesity Surgery Seems to Reduce Heart Risks, Study Says
- Fish Oil Fizzles for Fighting Heart Attack, Stroke
- Can Childhood Obesity Hinder the Brain?
- Obesity Might Lower Teens' Thinking Skills, Study Suggests
- Low-Cal Diets Kept Monkeys Healthier, But Didn't Lengthen Lives
- Statins Won't Hurt, Might Even Help, Your Pancreas: Study
- Egg Yolks Almost as Bad for Arteries as Smoking: Study
- Cholesterol Levels Getting Better for U.S. Kids: CDC
- Heart Attack, Stroke More Common in Shift Workers
- Fish Oil Doesn't Lower Heart Risk in Diabetics
- Physical Inactivity May Be as Deadly as Smoking
- Teens' Peer Problems May Affect Health Later
- Bariatric Surgery Cuts Heart Attack Risk for Years
- Weight-Loss Surgery Cuts Heart Risk 7 Years Later: Study
- Fish Oil Won't Save Diabetics' Hearts, Research Suggests
- Diabetes Rising Rapidly Among U.S. Kids
- Will Dark Chocolate a Day Keep the Doctor Away?
- Could Bloodletting Ease Heart Risks for the Obese?
- Drinking Red Wine Is Good for Gut Bacteria
- Joggers Live Longer, Study Says
- Heavier Baby Girls at Higher Risk for Diabetes, Heart Woes as Adults
- Sitting Too Much May Boost Odds of Dying
- 1 Sugary Drink a Day May Raise Heart Risk
- Insulin Resistance May Lead to Kidney Disease in the Elderly: Study
- Study: Even Some Vigorous Activity Boosts Kids' Heart Health
- Even for the Overweight, Exercise Helps the Heart
- Americans Sweet on Sugar: Time to Regulate?
- Natural Trans Fats Less Unhealthy Than Manmade Variety
- Health Tip: Improving Your Cholesterol
- Eating Fatty Fish Benefits Younger Women, Study Shows
- Sugar-Sweetened Drinks May Pose Heart Risks to Women, Study Suggests
- FDA Reconsiders Weight Loss Drug Qnexa
- New Research Calls Salt Guidelines Into Question
- Tool Helps Decide When to Get Weight Loss Surgery
- Not All Belly Fat Is Bad for the Heart
- Trial Stopped After Niacin Brings No Benefit to Heart Patients
- Wine, Salt, and Your Heart: Confusion Abounds
- Lifestyle Changes Reduce Triglycerides
- Periodic Fasting May Cut Risk of Heart Disease, Diabetes
- Cocoa Rich in Health Benefits
- Metabolic Syndrome Linked to Memory Loss
- Sitting for Too Long Is Bad for Your Health
- Psoriasis, Heart Disease, and Diabetes: What's the Link?
- Genomic Mapping Finds Cholesterol Genes
- Prehypertension, Prediabetes Predict Heart Risk
- Aerobic Exercise
- Senior Exercise
- DASH Diet (for High Blood Pressure)
- Weight Lifting (Resistance Exercise)
- Mediterranean Diet
- Alcohol and Nutrition
- Red Yeast Rice and Cholesterol
- Senior Health (Successful Aging)
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diet
- Tai Chi
- Interval Training
- Cleansing and Detox Diets
- Stress Management
- Weight Management
- Disease Prevention & Awareness
- Atkins Diet
- Benefits of Exercise
- Best Life Diet
- Special Diets & Recipes