Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Treatments

What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 'Trigger Happy', 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I had my first bout of trigger finger about ten years ago. I had a cortisone shot and that didn't help. My surgeon suggested surgery, which was quick, relatively painless, and recovery was just a few weeks. I'm about to have my 8th trigger finger operation (all different fingers, of course) in two weeks. I don't know why I've been so prone to having it. As a teacher, I don't spend a lot of time with repetitive motion. Perhaps it could be that I cracked my knuckles often as a kid! My doctor doesn't think so. The last two surgeries have required longer healing time. It's been four months since my last, and only now am I beginning to have full range of the ring-finger. Thank goodness I only have two fingers left! The end is in sight! I'd love to know if there is any kind of study that I could be part of.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I have had trigger finger on both hands middle finger. I had the surgery. I opted for local anesthetic, it was only a ten minute surgery. Now my other fingers are starting, and am having two more done the end of the month. Just found out my sister has 3 trigger fingers on each hand. She went with cortisone shots twice, and now is going to have to the surgery. Do the surgery, it is not that bad.

Comment from: L, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have a trigger finger on my ring finger on my right hand. I had one cortisone shot and a month later I developed a nodule. I was told cortisone shots do not work now and the next thing is surgery. Another doctor I talked to said he would give me another cortisone shot. I am not sure what to do at this point.

Comment from: Marty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I ignored my trigger finger too long. Injections gave temporary relief. I have just had surgery on both thumbs and long fingers. I wish I had not waited so long to treat.

Comment from: unknown, Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am almost 13 years old and have trigger thumb. I don't have a secondary condition (diabetes, arthritis, etc.) I got a steroid shot for it and that didn't work so now I am getting surgery in a couple of weeks and being put under anesthesia. The doctor doesn't know how I got it and thinks it is very weird because I'm so young and don't have any other issues.

Comment from: barkingmad3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

First trigger thumb incident was at 45 after carpal tunnel surgery. Now, both thumbs and two more fingers are affected. Injections worked for a while, by 2nd injection surgery and release is the only relief. Repetitive use generally starts the problem, like intense, prolonged keyboard use or carrying heavy items with the gripping of fingers. Injections hurt something awful for 6 seconds, I do mean hurt.

Comment from: lilly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have trigger finger in four fingers of the right hand and carpal tunnel syndrome in the elbow of the same hand. My surgery is on 26 February. The doctor said that I will not be able to work one month but I am afraid that will be more than one month, especially because I do a very difficult job using my right hand.

Comment from: zander, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have had trigger finger twice in the same finger, I had 1 steroid injection under ultrasound. Now I have to go back to have another, 8 weeks later. It is beginning to get old fast, the finger no longer works. Better off losing the finger, than going on steroid injections all the time.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I actually pointed out my snapping trigger fingers to my chiropractor. He is a chiropractic hand and foot association member and explained his training and aspect of its etiology and treated it without surgery or injections and while it took a few treatments to fix it, it hasn't returned and it has been over a year since my visits to his office.

Comment from: Jdb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

According to one specialist I have stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger finger), I"m not 100% convinced. I carry frequently during my work day, weight that can stretch my thumb and pointer fingers, which usually doesn"t cause any pain, until recently. The pain has been at times intense of late. I have had one cortisone injection into the thumb/wrist area and it worked a treat. However I don"t know that this is going to work for long, it"s been three weeks and I am still sensitive in the tendon area. The doctor said it"s not work related.

Comment from: AAA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had symptoms typical of trigger finger. Having discussed with the surgeon I opted for injection therapy. This was carried out with good effect. I had good relief of symptoms for upward of five months and now the symptoms have recurred. Now I'm thinking of going for the permanent surgical treatment.

Comment from: Really hurts, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have trigger finger in my right thumb and it is very painful. I'm seeing a doctor and I was put on medicines and a brace. He is talking surgery and I have to go see an orthopedic surgeon to see what he wants to do. I want the pain to go away.

Comment from: normaj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have the same problem with trigger fingers and have had to have surgery to fix all my fingers. But even with the surgery the pain is still there sometimes, but hey at least I can now use my hands properly.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had trigger thumbs about 15 years ago. When I would bend my thumbs they looked like they were disjointed but didn't hurt. I showed them to an orthopedic surgeon who had just done carpal tunnel surgery on both of my wrists several months apart. He said I had trigger fingers and he could fix that. I told him it didn't hurt so I would take a pass. Several weeks later, I was having terrible pain, couldn't start my car or turn the knob on the washing machine. I found out how much we use our thumbs. I got an appointment and had surgery in about a week. I was back to do everything the next day! Now, I started having scapular pain over my left shoulder blade. I have really bad shoulders. Then I had muscle spasms in my arm muscles. The pain was so bad, I called all my neighbors and asked if they had any pain pills. My second neighbor was alarmed because I sounded like I was in so much pain so she took me to the emergency room (ER). They gave me some pain pills, but they didn't touch the pain. At the same time I started having tingling down my entire arm but no numbness. They ruled out cervical disk problems and cardiac problems. The arm pain has gone away and now I have terrible pain in my middle and ring fingers and terrible pain in my hand. I am allergic to cortisone injections. When I had my last shoulder surgery the doctor said my next surgery would be a shoulder replacement. Up to 70 % of the cartilage is gone from my shoulder. So I don't know if everything is from my shoulder or if I have trigger fingers in addition to the shoulder deteriorating. I would sure like to get this over with and get better. I've had problems with these fingers before but pain hadn't been this bad. My husband has problems with his fingers too. I'm small boned and use my hands a lot so I wonder if that is a risk factor. My husband is also small boned for a man. I have a wedding cake to decorate for my daughter in 2 months. I need to be better by then!

Comment from: hoppers59, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have rheumatoid arthritis and now suffer with trigger fingers. I have had 2 injections in 1 finger, 1st only worked 6 weeks. Second definitely brought down the swelling, reducing some pain. I am unsure of lasting result. Finger is still clamping closed if I close my fist. Just received 1st infection in thumb again, reduced pain yet the thumb is clicking/sticking with movement of the joint. I am having a 3rd finger with the beginning of trigger finger. Seems to be a pattern and now I am told surgery is in the future.

Comment from: sahara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I just found out that I have trigger finger. When I wake up in the morning my middle finger on my right hand is bent and I have to force it open and it is painful! My doctor said it looks like both my hands are not looking well and it will eventually spread. I'm going for an x-ray and then maybe will have surgery. I don't want this effecting my work.

Comment from: debbie9339, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have had the cortisone shot before in my wrist for something else and the pain of the shot was more than I could handle. I will have to suffer with the trigger finger and hope it goes away on its own eventually. My worst time is in the morning, my middle finger is locked and bent and I make my coffee and decide later when I can handle the pain of stretching it back out. I fell on my hand in December and I am pretty sure that's when I damaged my finger.

Comment from: Lina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My diagnosed trigger finger started very early in the mornings. I would feel pain when trying to open and close my hands. I would also feel a feeling as if my hand was asleep. The pain and numbness would jump from hand to hand. One of my fingers locked and I had it, so I went to my doctor and was given a shot. This was a week ago, now my pinkies are snapping and my hands still feel the pain; especially in the mornings, and I have no strength.

Comment from: itsMe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had two surgeries, my left and right thumb, trying to see if it will reoccur. The second surgery doesn't seem like it is too good, but it's only been two weeks.

Comment from: Shrimp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had physiotherapy which included massaging Voltarin into the tendon twice a day and ice treatment on the tendon three times a day. I replaced all the narrow kitchen implements with larger handles. After 3 weeks of Valtarin, I stopped this massage but continued with the ice as often as I could. I have had no recurrence of the locking in three months, but if I feel any stiffness, I just use ice. So far, so good.

Comment from: cattoy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I've only had this problem for about a month and it has gone from annoying to painful. Now it's stuck. Yesterday I had an injection and it is worse. My doctor's office is closed today. The doctor did tell me that the injection would not cure it; just bring temporary relief. He said surgery would be needed, most likely.

Comment from: kershena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have trigger finger in both hands. I have taken injections, but they no longer work. I had three injections in my right hand. I was told by the doctor that I need to have surgery in both hands.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter