Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Symptoms

What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and trigger finger. From my research I've learn that with trigger finger one finger is in a bent position. However, in the morning I can't bend my four fingers. It usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes before I can bend them but the pain and tightness in joints are there all day. Maybe I need to visit the doctor again. This been going on for months now.

Comment from: Davis4325, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I broke my wrist back in December of 2015. I have pins and a T-plate in my wrist to help me heal my radius bone. I've been going to therapy since December. I have gain some mobility back, but have popping and snapping going on in my wrist. Recently I have my (left hand) ring finger experiencing trigger finger. My fingers are really swollen, been working on stretching and bending and now I am experiencing trigger finger. I can't straighten out my finger, I need help popping the tendon and finger back to where it should be. So over this injury.

Comment from: JGeng64, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I have a variation of trigger finger where after months of applying icy hot cream and taking Advil, I still can't flex/close my index finger more than 50 percent. Problem is 1st joint at the hand and knuckle. Cause is from hammering, building large shed then hammering to install 3 laminate floors. There is no swelling, no pain, and no clicking. I have been trying to stretch the ligament to gradually bend and hold the index finger to almost hold a ski pole/walking poles by locking it around the handle with my thumb or other times just use my thumb to apply pressure to close the index finger. I can't play tennis and can't work now.

Comment from: bena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I don't know how or why the trigger finger started, could be from my antibiotics or maybe fasting. I started to have pain in my thumb and it would bend, and I would have to straighten it out painfully. The pain would usually go away when I move my fingers, but limited movement will cause the triggering effects. Ibuprofen helps a little. I am thinking of getting that shot.

Comment from: GettingBetter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have trigger finger in my middle finger of left (non-dominant) hand. I had two cortisone injections, which helped for a while, then the situation returned. My hand was swollen and sore. I could not extend nor contract that middle finger properly. I had surgery three weeks ago and am healing nicely. My hand is still swollen, but that is expected. No triggering! I have finger exercises to stretch and exercise the tendon. I feel better every day. The surgeon remarked that my case was 'textbook classic trigger finger'.

Comment from: Msdee56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I had severe trigger finger. It took almost 4 weeks for the injection to provide some relief. Now I have stiffness and depending on how the finger is used some pain. I wonder if I should still have the surgery.

Comment from: Terry W, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I first developed symptoms of trigger finger several years ago from job related activities. Both right and left hands were affected. Cortisone shots completely cured the problem. Now that I am retired and playing golf 2 to 3 times per week the triggering has returned to left ring finger. One more cortisone shot helped for two months and now triggering is worse. I just got approved for surgery. I am confident that will fix this problem for good. No golf for two months.

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I was having numbness in both arms every night for over a year. Both arms would literally fall asleep. Sometimes it would take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to get arms fully functional when waking in the middle of the night. After numerous doctor visits, an arm specialist decided with a couple of cortisone shots, I needed carpal tunnel surgery. The cortisone shots worked short term but numbness reoccurred after 6 weeks. I elected to do carpal tunnel surgery on both arms at once to end the pain as I was told it would only take around 6 weeks for recovery. It has been 8 months and my hands still aren't right. I have now developed trigger finger in the middle finger of left hand, which is moving into ring finger. Unfortunately, I am left handed, which is terribly frustrating. Of course the doctor who performed the surgery thought cortisone shots would help but seems to have made it worse. The heels of both hands are still tender to pressure and trigger finger happens 2 to 3 times just tying one shoe. Not feeling warm and fuzzy with doctors right now and not really wanting to undergo anymore surgery. Hindsight, I don't believe I should have had the surgery to begin with.

Comment from: JB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

My trigger finger has just started with my left ring finger. Mine is most problematic first thing in the morning. My finger will be drawn up like I was making a fist. To open it is very painful and the snapping lasts for several hours, and then goes away. The pain in my palm stays and is constant. I have an appointment with a hand surgeon in two days for an injection. I was told that if not dealt with early it could eventually require surgery.

Comment from: omnigold, (Patient) Published: March 17

My trigger finger pain fluctuates from feeling tight to severe pain. It's really painful where the palm and middle finger meet, when the finger joints lock up. I have to literally pry it open, a slow painful process. My finger looks like it's a little swollen and beginning to look disfigured. The finger is stiff while open and gets stuck when closed or make a fist. I have to massage the tendon in my palm and slowly work my way up to 'unhook' my finger. The snappy tendon is kind of gross! Time for a doctor visit.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

In my case trigger finger started after I tripped and landed heavily on my outstretched left palm, slapping the ground hard. My left middle finger would occasionally curl up and I couldn't straighten it without using my right hand to straighten it. I wouldn't call it painful, but it's not a pleasant sensation. My doctor prescribed naproxen, but later referred me to a hand surgeon for a cortisone injection after oral medicine wasn't helping. It resolved for a while but I had a minor loss of sensation in the tip of my left little finger and to a lesser extent down the edge of my left palm. Four years later the trigger finger has returned again in my left middle finger although the loss of sensation after the injection has improved a little.

Comment from: TFlyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My trigger finger started mildly about 3 months ago. In the mornings, my middle finger would be sore and pop. I attributed it to signs of growing older. About a month ago the same started in my thumb (both on my right hand) and quickly worsened. It is quite painful in the mornings but loosens up during the day. Still, it is hard to grasp/hold items due to general hand weakness and pain. It occasionally pops like it's out of joint and very painful. About a week ago I woke up and my thumb was stuck in an extended position. I couldn't bend it at all. After 5 days it popped on its own and my thumb curled oddly outward. It stayed that way overnight before stiffening again in the straight position. I've had 2 cortisone shots today for both thumb and finger. No change yet. I hope they help.

Comment from: firefox3542, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have trigger thumb and boy, I am at my wits' end. I tried the injections and anti-inflammatory drugs. Now my thumb has been stuck in a locked straight out position for the last 6 months. I cannot even manually bend it using the other hand, I have no insurance and I know I am now in need of surgery. I am at a loss on what to do now.

Comment from: Oscar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

My index finger locks and I have burning pain due to trigger finger. I cannot close it and it is very painful.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Mine started by feeling like I'd jammed my ring finger on my left hand. The pain grew worse as time passed and at night it would "draw" and be frozen in a bent position. There was no straightening it without excruciating pain. As it worsened, it felt like my finger and down into my palm was on fire. This also made it difficult to hold things, there was weakness in those joints that made it difficult to squeeze, pick up or hold anything. I can't close my fist. Every finger goes down except for that one finger. Anti-inflammatories are helping.

Comment from: Skotatnite, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I have severe pain in both hands late afternoon till morning. My hands will not straighten without force and with that there is severe pain. I have had carpal tunnel release in both hands and De Quervain's tendonitis release on the right. I am awaiting surgery on both hands to correct the trigger finger.

Comment from: bscruff49, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

There is pain in the palm of my hand just below my middle finger. Early in the morning the middle finger is hard to straighten out. There is moderate pain with trigger finger.

Comment from: Sophisticated Lady01, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My job consist of always lifting moderate to extremely heavy boxes with palm cards and additional massive amounts of literature. It was noted that the repetitive trauma caused excessive pain to my right hand middle finger. I was told that my finger locking was called a trigger finger, I never had heard of such. All the doctors stated that the stress placed on my tendon had caused the trigger finger which if not treated from the first onset, arthritis could set in. However, if you are lifting heavy boxes, contact employer, constant trauma is a work place injury. No one informed me of the process. I had to find this out on my own. I hope it isn't too late.

Comment from: teacher, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had a trigger finger for several months; first the middle finger of my left hand. I had an injection that seemed to help for several weeks, then the problem resurfaced. This time it went away on its own after a few months. Then the middle finger on my right hand began to catch. I have done nothing to correct it. It is sometimes more problematic than other times, but it seems to be healing by itself. There is a finger guard on the market that helps to stabilize the finger while one is sleeping. This seems to help also.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had surgery in both hands for carpal tunnel and trigger finger on my thumbs and middle fingers (both hands, 4 fingers). Now I am experiencing trigger finger in another finger. I have tested negative for rheumatoid arthritis. I do have left shoulder joint stiffness and a reduction of range of motion that I improve with stretching. The surgeon I saw was baffled by the trigger finger in so many fingers. I prefer not to have more surgery but may have to resort to that if my condition worsens.

Comment from: Zeny F., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 23

It is my first time to feel this kind of pain on my middle finger which is affected with trigger finger. My thumb and half of my palm is also affected.

Comment from: GS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

The trigger finger is caused by trauma. I believe, at least for me, it stems from popping fingers and texting/typing for so many years. If I had known to do so, I would have gotten routine massages and stretched my fingers frequently.

Comment from: blossom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I did not know what this is till one day I spoke with my sister. She said a friend of hers has trigger finger and she told me that what I am describing to her sounds just like it. I had never heard of this before. It is in both my thumbs. Though on my right hand it has eased. A long time ago a doctor had told me I have arthritic bumps. My left thumb locks and I cannot bend it. Sometimes it goes away and sometimes when I can bend it, the knuckle bone seems to snap. I will be seeing a doctor soon about this.

Comment from: Yorkie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

It started as mild pain across the palm where the third and fourth fingers join the palm and gradually got worse. A burning sensation started, and at times, I cannot close my first three fingers properly and when I flex them, it is painful. I do a lot of craftwork, knitting, and crochet and therefore I overwork the hand (it is my left) at times. I hope to have surgery soon.

Comment from: TheGreeneBess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

When I woke up in the morning, my middle finger would be stuck in the bent position. It could only be lifted back into position with my other hand, and it was very, very painful. The pain radiated to the palm of my hand and it was constant. I started using a splint at night to keep the finger straight. I was first given oral steroids wich did not work, then I got the cortesone shot directly in my palm! It was painful, but I no longer suffer.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter