Patient Comments: Tremor - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your tremor? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: ElyJt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I've been shaking as long as I can remember. I'm 57. I was diagnosed with essential tremors when I was 33. I was put on primidone. It worked for 15 years. Then it just stopped. Then I through propranolol, Inderal. Then I found alcohol. Guess how that worked out for me! So here we are 10 more years later. Shakes got out of control. I just tried topiramate. Didn't work. I just started gabapentin. Early results are looking good. It hasn't stopped the tremors, but starting to make them manageable.

Comment from: JeterfanNYyankees, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I have been suffering from tremors since I was 6 years old. Recently, I started getting a lot of anxiety about it because my head and hands were shaking all the time. It caused me so much stress because I was embarrassed all the time and afraid to go out in public. However, I finally found a solution that doesn't involve taking medicine. Diet was my answer. I have been gluten free and dairy free for 3 months now. My shaking has decreased dramatically and my head/hands don't shake anymore. It sounds crazy but it is true. I am only 20 years old and have had many doctors tell me I had social anxiety and depression. They weren't wrong, but what had caused this anxiety and depression was my diet. I tell my story to people out there with depression issues and they agree that it has helped a great amount. I always see people on blogs and forums talking about how much medicine they have to take. I used to take propranolol and Wellbutrin XL but they weren't working. The reason why the medicine isn't working is because your body is constantly sending that 'fight or flight' response to your brain causing shakiness and that feeling of anxiety. Think about it, when you put something in your body that you are intolerant to, your body is going to react and try to tell you to stop. That is the reason for all this shakiness and anxiety. Just try it and see how you feel. Drinking a lot of water and cutting out artificial sugar also helps a lot as well.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My head started shaking very slightly about a year ago. I underwent a lot of procedures and an operation, and thought that all the anesthesia depleted all my vitamins and minerals in my body. I have an excellent neurologist who found I have peripheral neuropathy, which causes tremors, leg weakness, body temperature drops, heart races and muscle twitches. It is debilitating. So far my only treatment is primidone (anti-seizure medicine). It's very important to check you vitamin levels. Many people are misdiagnosed. Ataxia due to a B-12 deficiency is also serious. So, please, don't give up. Do research on the web and keep on top of your doctors.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I started noticing my tremor when I went through a very stressful time with my mother in the 80s. The nurse where I am employed told me to go to the doctor for treatment. I was told it is hereditary, which it does run in my family. I take 100 mg of primidone and 40 mg of propranolol per day, which keeps it under control. It affects my hands, head, and speech. What scares me is the fact that every time I go through something very stressful in my life I have to get an increase in medication so that people won't see my head and hands shaking, which is embarrassing. I don't know how much medicine is too much and if this medication will always control my tremor. I am sure that one day my tremor will no longer be able to be controlled, because you can only take so much medication. That to me is scary.

Comment from: Ldawn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had some problems with tremors, it's awful. I used to be on Prozac, after a while I was put on 40 mg for an eating problem when once I was in hospital when I was 15, and as soon I was taken out I was put on 30 mg of citalopram. After that I spoke to my doctor saying I was starting to get side effects, was getting tremors, shaking and sweating a lot for the first time in years when I had just turned 18. After that I decided to stop taking citalopram, started just taking Kalms which helped for a while. For a while I was feeling quite low so signed up to the nearest clinic here and spoke to a doctor about my past, she told me to go on Prozac to stop anxiety and shaking etc., I thought ok I'd give it another try. Then I remember I started getting really bad nightmares, had eating problems again, the shaking stopped for a while but still wasn't feeling great, so I rang the doctor after two months and she said Prozac isn't for everyone. She said to stop taking it, wait two weeks and go on the next popular antidepressant called citalopram; I had tried to explain to her I was on it before. Anyway another doctor put me on beta blockers, I still have symptoms and it is annoying. Tonight I have taken myself off anti-depressants and now just sticking to beta blockers. My mum had a problem with shaking also, I think it runs in the family but I am just trying everything. I also looked up research about serotonin syndrome, I think I may have it, don't think you can get it diagnosed with blood tests. I am going for some anyway, just to check if anything else is wrong. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Maria b, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I made an appointment to a neurologist and he said I have Parkinson's. But I checked with another specialist and he said the tremor I got is not Parkinson's. So he prescribed to me a drug called primidone 250 MG. I been taking it for the last 3 years, but no result. I also suffer with diabetes but I do not need insulin.

Comment from: charlie5517, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

My psychogenic tremor began four years ago with very slight movements in my fingers. Now both hands and sometimes feet shake all the time. I can still eat with utensils fairly well but the shaking is very distracting to me and somewhat embarrassing. My neurologist says there is no medicine to help it, and the only course is to get talk therapy called 'conversion disorder' therapy. It has been hard to find a therapist who does this therapy, and I have not yet started on this therapy with any of the therapists I have found.

Comment from: Barbie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 72 1/2. Within the past 2 years I have noticed increasing hand tremors, especially noticeable in the morning. Sometimes I take 1/2 of a Valium tablet, and it helps; but on the other hand, I don't want to develop a dependency. (They do make me drowsy.)

Comment from: santi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I"m 20 years old, I have problem with my hand. My hand is always shaky when I start working in the laboratory because I"m learning in college major chemistry education, it is so embarrassing but I don"t know what I have to do. I was prescribed fluoxetine 20 mg but nothing changed. I keep having same problem and the side effects of drugs gave me diarrhea, and I am increasingly tired, nauseated, and sweatier.

Comment from: Preshy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My tremor started when I was 16 years old, pretty young. It has got worse over time and I was just diagnosed with benign essential tremor last year. I was already on Neurontin (gabapentin) for my severe anxiety (1200 mg a day). I was advised to take 300 mg more a day to control it. It didn"t seem to work. I"m so embarrassed and I"m a makeup artist and I really want this new job but I"m afraid my tremor will ruin my chances.

Comment from: andrewboy86, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I am currently 27. When I was 18 I had gotten in a car accident, I had received a TBI (traumatic brain injury), since then I have had a very noticeable tremor on my right hand. The doctor called them "intentional tremors". It affects my ability to write, eat and any other tasks that require fine motor control. I tried going to a Parkinson's doctor and they started me on beta blockers to try and treat my condition, but that did not work. I did not go back to the specialist for this because I am too nervous to try other treatments. I am worried the side effects will be worse than dealing with the tremor.

Comment from: jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have familiar essential tremors and I take 50 mg of B vitamins and it has cured my tremors. I was on a search for something natural and it repairs the nervous system which helps neurotransmitters to work more efficiently.

Comment from: onlyrusty45, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

l been having involuntary head shaking tremors, it hurts my neck and down to the third vertebra below my shoulders this has been going on for two years but has begun to get more noticeable and worse. A lot of people stare at me. It is very hard to do anything I even get cramps in my arms and hands and legs. I have epilepsy and diabetes type 2 and high blood pressure and sleep apnea on top of it, my mom was battling Parkinson's before she died of a heart attack.

Comment from: erwin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

It started with tremors on the left hands then it progressed to my left leg and now it seems to affect my right leg and trunk as well. It started like a year ago but it only happened a few times but late July last year, I was experiencing tremors on my left leg on a daily basis. I went to the doctor who prescribed me with carbamazepine which seemed to work well, I still have tremors but it seemed to be more controlled. Although it worsens during times of stress, fatigue, too much excitement.

Comment from: Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I began with a noticeable head tremor, but what was devastating to me was that I couldn't write well. My doctor prescribed 60 mg per day of propanolol. My head still moves noticeably but not radically. However, I can write legibly again, for which I am very grateful.

Comment from: dundee, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I have taken primidone (Mysoline) for my tremor for at least seven years and it has affected my speech.

Comment from: stu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I have suffered from tremors since 2005, when I was traveling to visit my elderly father. His illness, kidney failure, living in Florida, and dealing with all the stresses along with that caused the onset of tremors. It's only in my head. My friend noticed during a conversation that my head was shaking, albeit, just a little. I went to a neurologist and was diagnosed with tremors. I've noticed that when I stare at something like a book case, or a window, really anything, and focus on it, I see it shake. I do take propranolol for it which helps. It does worsen during times of stress. I do my best to avoid that if possible.

Comment from: wildflower, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was hospitalized for seven days recently with severe body tremors. I had MRIs, CT scans, and even a spinal tap, and no cause could be found. After the hospitalization, I went to my neurologist. Upon seeing my condition, he immediately told me to quit taking Mirapex, a drug that I had been taking for about 10 years for restless legs. Slowly but surely, I am now getting better. I'm still not out of the woods. Apparently, it takes a while to get the drug out of your body.

Comment from: Bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I've had tremors since I was very young. My tremors are aggravated by trying to hold still. The only thing that has helped is low doses of Inderal. It doesn't affect my blood pressure but it reduces my tremors by at least 50%. Still looking for a natural cure.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Gabapentin. I have spasmodic dysphonia and essential tremor and I'm so much better (not totally) since I'm taking Gabapentin.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I am 58 years old. I knew something was not right in my early 20s. Presently, my head, jaw, both hands, and legs shake. I am barely able to get food or drink to my mouth, but have learned a number of little 'tricks' to help. I take 120 mg propranolol long-acting and 100 mg Primidone a day. I have deliberately held off increasing the medications until I am forced to, so I have some place to go. The meds all have side effects but are more tolerable than being disabled from the tremor. I am visiting a movement disorder center in later this year with hopes of new avenues of treatment. Do not be hesitant to tell people what is happening to you. You would not believe how many people are in the early stages and are unaware that it is a disease and are scared and do not know what to do. Share what you know with them.

Comment from: Eca_Jo, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have had tremors for as long as I can remember. I had kids asking me when I was in kindergarten, why I shake all the time. It has always been noticeable, but only recently (about a few years or so) has it really affected me. I cannot hold a pencil or a fork without dropping it, I have a hard time gripping things also. On occasion it has progressed to my legs and chin but mostly it is in my hands. Usually you can hear it in my voice, but sometimes you can't. I have good days when it isn't too bad, and I also have horrible days when I can't even write. I have seen 2 neurologists and the first told me that I could try to have a drink of alcohol when it's bad because some patients have reported that it has helped it. I was 15 at the time, so therefore I found it quite odd. The second one I saw prescribed me a beta blocker, what they use for high blood pressure. I started out at a small dose and worked my way up. I got half way to the highest dose and it was too much. I started having very vivid dreams, when I could sleep that is, but most of the time I couldn't sleep. I would lay in bed relaxed, but could not sleep. It also made me extremely dizzy and I felt like I could pass out at any second. I am now 18 and going to try one more doctor, but I just don't think there is anything that is going to help it. Hopefully it will go back to the way it was when I was in grade school, noticeable but not affecting my daily life. If any of you find something that works, please share. I am open to asking my doctor about trying things to help.

Comment from: James A. Ferguson, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I myself was not diagnosed until I was 19, with Essential Tremor. After researching my own symptoms I believe it to be an Intention Tremor. Only just recently have I realized that I can cause it by trying to control it, because this takes movement or rather reflexes. So if I tried to hold my arm still it would shake. So what I do now instead is. Nothing. I don't bother trying to control it. I don't know if this will help anyone else but I figured it was worth a shot. Oh btw, I'm not on any medications, I'm too afraid of them, but hey all the power to you if they work.

Comment from: dolly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have tremors in my head and right arm. I am currently taking Primedone and Propanolol(60) mg. It doesn't seem to be working very well.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I am 37 years old, noticed my tremor at 16 and started in head. Anxiety and stress makes it worse. Clonazepam is helping a lot. I might have Parkinson's too since my grandmother had it.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter