Tremor is the involuntary movements of one or more parts of the body. Causes of tremor include neurological disorders, neurodegenerative diseases, drugs, mercury poisoning, overactive thyroid and liver failure. There are several types of tremor. Treatment depends upon the type of tremor and availability of medications for the condition. Read more: Tremors Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Parkinson's Disease: Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Treatment
Discover the symptoms, causes, stages, and treatment options for Parkinson's disease. Learn more about the stages of Parkinson's...
Related Disease Conditions
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)
Consuming alcohol during pregnancy may cause fetal alcohol syndrome, a group of conditions associated with mental, growth, and...
Huntington's disease is the result of degeneration of neurons in areas of the brain. Huntington's disease is an inherited...
Hyperthyroidism (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medication, Diet)
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone due to an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased heart rate,...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Pheochromocytoma is a tumor of the adrenal gland. Pheochromocytomas are quite rare and the vast majority of them are entirely...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
West Nile Virus
West Nile virus (West Nile encephalitis) is a brain infection caused by a virus. People become infected with the virus after...
Date Rape Drugs
Date rape drugs such as GHB, rohypnol, and ketamine are sometimes used to assist in a sexual assault. Symptoms and signs of...
Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) is a congenital disorder of blood vessels in the brain, brainstem, or spinal cord that is...
Stuttering is a speech disorder characterized by speech disruptions such as prolongations of speech sounds, syllables or words,...
Mercury is a naturally occurring element found in water, soil, and the air. Mercury also is contained in some fish, some of the...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
Graves' Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment Options)
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid. Some of the symptoms of Graves' disease include hand tremors,...
Ecstasy (MDMA), Rohypnol, ketamine and GHB are a few of the different types of drugs abused at bars, raves and parties. Rohypnol...
Brain Damage: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Brain damage causes destruction or deterioration of brain cells. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and acquired brain injury (ABI) are...
Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is an inherited (genetic) disease that attacks motor neurons (nerve cells) in the spinal cord. As...
Local ResourcesFind a local Neurologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- botulinum toxin - injection, Botox, Botox Cosmetic, Dysport
- propranolol s.r. - oral, Inderal LA
- propranolol - oral, Inderal
- diazepam - injection, Valium
- nadolol (Corgard)
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- atenolol, Tenormin
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- Primidone (Mysoline) Side Effects, Dosage, and Uses
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Alprazolam vs. Diazepam (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
Prevention & Wellness
- New Drug Could Help Kids With MS
- Babies of Opioid-Addicted Moms May Struggle in School
- Wrist Device Shows Promise for Hand Tremors
- Coffee Doesn't Help Parkinson's Motor Disorders
- Singing May Be Good Medicine for Parkinson's Patients
- Diabetes Drug Shows Promise Against Parkinson's
- Early Parkinson's May Prompt Vision Problems
- Babies Born Addicted to Opioids Often Struggle With Learning
- Hepatitis Infection May Raise Risk for Parkinson's Disease
- Exercising 2.5 Hours a Week May Slow Parkinson's Progression
- Is It Parkinson's or Something Else? Blood Test Might Tell
- Kids Born to Opioid-Addicted Moms Seem to Fare Poorly in School
- New Parkinson's Drug May Combat Movement Difficulties
- New Parkinson's Gene Identified
- Inhaled Version of Parkinson's Drug May Help Keep Symptoms at Bay
- Immune Therapy Makes Headway Against a Lymphoma
- Cellular Defect May Be Linked to Parkinson's: Study
- For Uncontrolled Tremor, Ultrasound Instead of Brain Surgery?
- Cancer Drug Shows Early Promise for Parkinson's Disease
- Ultrasound Device Approved to Treat Essential Tremor
- Early Weight Loss With Parkinson's May Be a Red Flag
- New Clues to Easing Side Effects From Parkinson's Drug
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Ease Some Parkinson's Pain for Years
- Study Underscores Power of Placebo Effect
- Exercise May Cut Fall Risk for Some Parkinson's Patients
- Methamphetamine Use Linked to Parkinson's Risk
- Are Migraines in Middle Age Tied to Raised Parkinson's Risk Later?
- Deep Brain Stimulation Safe for Older Parkinson's Patients: Study
- Study Supports Durability of Parkinson's Treatment
- Medical Marijuana May Ease Some MS Symptoms, Study Concludes
- More Pesticides Linked to Parkinson's Risk
- Gene Therapy May Hold Promise for Advanced Parkinson's Disease
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Help in Early Stages of Parkinson's
- Fake Marijuana Use Is a Serious Problem for Teens
- Depression Takes a Toll on Parkinson's Patients
- More Deaths, Illness Linked to Energy Drinks
- 5-Hour Energy Shots Linked to 13 Deaths
- How Much Caffeine Is in Your Energy Drink?
- Sleep Boosts Memory for Parkinson's Patients, Study Suggests
- Electrical Brain Stimulation Curbs Epileptic Seizures in Rats
- Parkinson's Patients Experience Declines Years Before Diagnosis
- Botox May Ease Tremors in Multiple Sclerosis Patients
- Smoking, Pesticides Might Spur Rare 'Sleep-Kicking' Disorder
- Device Calms Parkinson's Tremor for 3+ Years
- 50 Years of Data Confirm Benefit of Antipsychotics
- Eye Tremors May Aid Early Diagnosis of Parkinson's: Study
- Weight Training Improves Parkinson's Symptoms
- Electrical Brain Stimulation May Strengthen Memory, Study Says
- Tai Chi Improves Symptoms of Parkinson's Disease
- More Newborns Suffering Drug Withdrawal at Birth
- Parkinson's Disease May Raise Risk of Melanoma
- People With Signs of Parkinson's Wait to See Doctor
- Gene Therapy May Improve Parkinson's Symptoms
- New Debate on PSA Test for Prostate Cancer
- Study: Newer Antipsychotic Drugs Are Overused
- Recall of Albuterol Used in Nebulizers
- FDA Panel Urges Thorough Review of Mercury-Based Fillings
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter