Is it possible to stick to your diet and fitness program -- or at least avoid gaining weight -- while you travel? Experts say the answer is yes, but your chances for maintaining good health while you travel will improve with a little advance planning. Read more: Travel Health Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Lyme Disease Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
What you do not know about Lyme disease may surprise you. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of this...
Stress-Free Holiday Travel Tips
Learn holiday travel tips for a stress-free adventure. The holidays can be a very stressful time and it is important to prepare...
Travel Health Slideshow: 25 Ways to Stay Well Abroad
Explore travel health tips and vaccines to prevent disease while abroad. Learn to protect yourself against malaria, hepatitis,...
Hepatitis: How Do You Get Hepatitis A, B, and C?
Hepatitis C virus and hepatitis B can make an infected person very sick and they are risk factors for liver cancer, liver...
Related Disease Conditions
Guinea Worm Disease
Guinea worm disease (GWD or dracunculiasis) is an infection caused by the parasite Dracunculus medinensis. After a person drinks water contaminated by water fleas that harbor Guinea worm larvae, the larvae grow into adult worms (2-3 feet) in the small intestine and then migrate and emerge from the skin. Symptoms and signs include fever, swelling, and pain near the blister on the skin where the worm will emerge. As there is no medication to treat GWD and no vaccine to prevent infection, treatment focuses on minimizing pain and swelling (with the use of ibuprofen or aspirin) as the worms are slowly pulled from the wound over the course of a few days to a few months.
Candida auris (C. auris)
Candida auris (C. auris) is a yeast that is resistant to many antifungal medications. Most C. auris infections occur in hospitalized patients. C. auris causes an invasive infection and has a high mortality rate.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Don't Travel for Thanksgiving: CDC
- U.S. Cancels Blanket Warning for International Travel
- Medical Screening a Must for Passengers to Fly Without Mask: Delta
- Want to Travel During the Pandemic? Here's What to Consider
- CDC Urges Residents of 3 States Near New York City to Cease Domestic Travel
- Californians, New Yorkers Ordered to Stay Home as State Department Warns Against All Foreign Travel
- U.S. Extends Bans on Foreign Travel; Trump's Coronavirus Test Comes Back Negative
- Trump Bans Travel From Most of Europe as WHO Declares Coronavirus a Pandemic
- Tough Travel Bans Only 'Modestly' Slow Coronavirus Spread: Study
- Should You Cancel Travel Plans Due to Coronavirus? Take This Quiz
- As Coronavirus Spreads, Should Travel History Be in Your Medical Records?
- How Safe Is It to Fly?
- U.S. Issues Highest Travel Alert for China as WHO Declares Health Emergency
- How to Stay Fit When You're Traveling for Work or Fun
- Some Cities' Smog Can Ruin Your Vacation
- Health Tip: Planning a Stress-Reducing Vacation
- Unplugging From Social Media on Vacation? It's Tough at First
- Health Tip: Travelling to a High Altitude
- Traveling Abroad? Make Sure Your Measles Shot Is Up to Date
- Health Tip: Make Traveling Easier on Your Pet
- Health Tip: Kayak and Canoe Safety
- Heading to Europe This Summer? Get Your Measles Shot
- When Fido Comes Along on Your Vacation
- Should Air Quality Checks Be Part of Your Travel Planning?
- AHA News: Need a Break? A Vacation Really Can Be Good for You If It's Done Right
- New First-Line Treatment for Severe Malaria in U.S.
- Here's How the Government Shutdown Could Affect Your Health
- Health Tip: Prevent Travelers' Diarrhea
- Health Tip: Don't Let Travel Inhibit Exercise
- Health Tip: Traveling by Air
- Take a Vacation, Your Heart Will Thank You
- A Wilderness Expert's Keys to Safety in the Great Outdoors
- Make Your Next Camping or Hiking Trip Trouble-free
- Health Tip: Studying Overseas
- Health Tip: Traveling With a Disability
- Health Tip: Travel Tips For Women With Breast Prosthesis
- Health Tip: Have a Fun and Safe Vacation
- Vacation Bliss Doesn't Linger for Tired, Stressed-Out Workers
- Beat the Heat on Your Summer Vacation
- Don't Turn Into a July 4 Highway Statistic
- Health Tip: Travel-Related Ills May Surface After You Return
- Smart Steps for Safer International Travel
- Posting Your Vacation Online May Make You Forget It
- Health Tip: Controlling Altitude-Related Ear Pain
- When Is a Sick Fellow Flier a Health Risk to You?
- Timely Tips for Sick-Free Travel
- Tips for Holiday Trips With Seniors
- Pack Wisely for a Healthy Trip
- Keep Kids Safe During Holiday Travels
- Tips for Healthy, Happy Travels
- Health Tip: Travel Safely With a Child
- Health Tip: Travel With a Blanket
- Health Tip: Relieve Ear Pressure While Flying
- Health Tip: Avoid a Sure Way to Ruin Your Vacation
- Health Tip: Feeling Sick After a Trip?
- Travelers to Europe Need Measles Protection: CDC
- Immunizations for High Flyin' Travelers
- Health Tip: Are You Well Enough to Travel?
- How to Beat Jet Lag This Summer Vacation
- A Monkey's 'Smile' May Not Be Sweet
- Many U.S. Travelers Skip Measles Shots, Despite Infection Risk
- Don't Let Bugs Dampen Your Outdoor Fun
- CDC Warns Travelers About Yellow Fever in Brazil
- New Global Coalition Will Fight Epidemics
- Over-Planning Can Take the Fun Out of Leisure Time
- Health Tip: Eating Healthy on a Family Trip
- Dodge the Jet Lag, Enjoy Your Trip
- WHO: Pregnant Women Shouldn't Travel to Zika Areas
- Tips for Traveling to the U.S. With Medications
- Many Americans Traveling Abroad Lack Key Vaccinations: Study
- Health Tip: Preventing Ear Pain During Air Travel
- Health Tip: Prepare for Illness if Traveling Abroad
- Health Tip: Travel Safely in the Air
- Health Tip: Reduce the Risk of Traveler's Diarrhea
- Airport Screenings Miss Roughly Half of Sick Travelers: Study
- Airborne Transmission of Ebola Highly Unlikely, Experts Say
- Passengers From Ebola-Affected Countries Must Land at Designated U.S. Airports
- Airport Screening in West Africa Will Curb Ebola's Spread: Study
- Obama Urges Calm in Ebola Scare, Opposes Travel Ban
- Cruise Ship Passenger Linked to Ebola Back on Shore
- U.S. Preparing Tighter Infection Controls for Ebola Patients: Report
- 1st Dallas Nurse With Ebola Headed to NIH Facility in Maryland
- New York's JFK Airport Begins Screening Passengers for Ebola
- Luggage-Lifting Tips for Safe Travels
- Keeping Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Health Tip: Avoid Food Poisoning During Holiday Travel
- Health Tip: Getting Sick on a Cruise
- Health Tip: Stay Fit When Traveling
- Health Tip: Defend Against Insect Bites While Traveling Abroad
- Health Tip: On the Go With Diabetes
- Too Much Travel May Be Tough on Olympians
- Airports in N.Y., L.A., Hawaii Deemed Worst for Pandemic Spread
- Health Tip: When Lugging Luggage
- Tips for Memorable Family Road Trips
- More People Stay 'Connected' on Vacation Via Web: Study
- Dirtiest Spot in Hotel Rooms
- Health Tip: Traveling With Your Pet
- Dengue Fever a Major Cost Burden in Puerto Rico
- Health Tip: Traveling By Plane During Pregnancy?
- Health Tip: Healthy Eating While Vacationing
- Older Travelers at Much Higher Risk of Dying From Malaria
- Ibuprofen May Ward Off Altitude Sickness
- Spring Break Boozing May Put Young Brains at Risk
- Spring Break Safety Tips to Keep Vacation Fun
- Tropical Trip OK for Most With Crohn's, Colitis
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter