Tourette syndrome is disorder, which symptoms include involuntary facial tics, motor tics, and vocal tics. The cause of Tourette syndrome is not known. ADHD is associated with Tourette syndrome. Treatment includes medication, psychotherapy, and in severe cases surgery. Read more: Tourette Syndrome Article
IMAGESSee brain scan pictures of Alzheimer's and types of dementia See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Asperger's Syndrome (Asperger Syndrome, Asperger Disorder)
Asperger's syndrome (AS, Asperger syndrome, Asperger disorder) is an autism spectrum disorder. Asperger's syndrome is...
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder that causes a person to suffer repeated obsessions and compulsions....
Misophonia is defined as the hatred of sound. Symptoms of this condition include a negative emotional response to certain trigger...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- haloperidol (Haldol)
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Methylin, Daytrana)
- guanfacine (Intuniv, Tenex)
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- pimozide - oral, Orap
- dextroamphetamine sustained-action capsule - oral, Dexedrine
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Understanding Tourette Syndrome
- Brain Zaps May Help Curb Tics of Tourette Syndrome
- New Clues to Why Yawns Are Contagious
- When is Tourette Syndrome Actually Autism?
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Ease Tourette 'Tics'
- Tourette Threat Surges for Babies When Mom Smokes in Pregnancy
- Tourette Risk Seems to Be Driven by Genetics
- Brain Chemical May Help Control Tourette 'Tics'
- Medical Marijuana May Ease Some MS Symptoms, Study Concludes
- Insights Gained Into Tourette Syndrome
- Childhood Vaccine Schedule Is Safe, Report Says
- 'Fragile X Syndrome' Researchers Boost Social Skills in Mice
- Genetic Studies Give Clues to Tourette Syndrome, OCD
- Tourette Patients Benefit From Behavioral Therapy: Study
- ADHD: Genetic Mutation May Be Key
- Self-Hypnosis Helps Tourette's Syndrome
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter