Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: MaryMary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

When I was 10 years old I was diagnosed with Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, and I saw a rheumatologist who put me on 800 mg of prescription ibuprofen on a daily basis. Throughout my school years I was unable to do the gym classes due to swollen knee joints. So I was basically excused from gym through all my years of grade school and high school. My knees were in so much pain from then on for the rest of the years. I began to really feel the pain about 15 years ago, my knees were buckling on me, and giving out, and walking was very difficult. September of 2016, I saw an orthopedic doctor who x-rayed my knees. It was a very horrifying sight to see how bad my knees were on x-ray. Both of them were bone on bone and I am now 53 years old. He said I needed bilateral knee replacements and to get it done, and that I would be in better shape than I was then. Well, I got a second opinion doctor whom I really liked, who said he would do my knee replacements one at a time. May 23, 2017, I had my left knee total replacement. October 2, 2017 total right knee replacement is taking place. The only thing I have to say about having this type of surgery is, the pain, swelling, and numbness are hard to deal with. Sleeping is not happening. My knee hurts every day even with exercising and riding my stationary bike. I don't regret having my knee surgery. It was the best thing I could do for myself considering my past history of arthritis.

Comment from: Laci, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had total knee replacement on 12/14/16. I had a tibia plateau fracture in 2002. In November we first had to remove screws, plates, etc., from knee to prepare for replacement. This is the worst surgery I have ever had and would do it again. The pain is unbearable. I just had hip replacement in July of this year on the same side and it was a piece of cake. I do physiotherapy twice a week and work every day at home. My range is only 95 but I did not have much before because of the previous break. There is no way you can be sufficiently prepared for the hardships of this surgery. My doctor says my healing will take longer because of the previous injury. I only have 5 mg of pain medications and they are useless. I have yet to sleep a full night in bed and feel exhausted. I do walk without a cane or crutches.

Comment from: Bone on bone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had my total knee replacement on April 19th due to being bone on bone from arthritis and a torn lateral meniscus. I am 10 weeks out from surgery and still have unpredictable pain. My surgery scar is sore and sensitive and often pains out of the clear blue sky. My leg is still not fully straight and it feels stiff and stuck in the position it is in (2 to 5 percent from straight). The physiotherapist says that I have massive muscle tension in the muscles above my knee and behind my knee and every effort seems to be to release those knots so that I can straighten my leg. The massages and ultrasound treatments feel good while they are being done, but afterwards my leg/knee goes right back to feeling stiff and heavy. I cannot walk very far without getting extremely tired and developing back and hip pain. I felt like I had no choice but to consent to the surgery, but I'm having a really hard time and my quality of life has not improved.

Comment from: kavita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My friend met with a road accident in which his leg muscles ruptured and doctors suggested rod insertion in leg. When they operated the same day his hemoglobin which was 10.4 reduced to 6 and then 3 due to internal bleeding which led to brain stroke. Artificial pumping and ventilation has made him alive but after 27 days he is still on ventilation, not passing urine and has blood loss. Every alternate day the doctors are giving 1 or 2 units of blood which raises his hemoglobin to 9.4 but it reduces to 7.4 in 2 days. This is the scene from last 27 days. By CT scan they found that a very small hole was left during the operation of the leg.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your total knee replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.