Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: l hult, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

My severe leg cramps are always stopped with a muscle rub. I get the cheapest kind at the store and rub it in the cramp; relief in usually 30 seconds. Just don't get it on sensitive areas!

Comment from: joy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had horrid groin pain starting in early 2010, and I ended up with anterior hip replacement in October 2010. Mine has been a nightmare. Five months post operation I was great and it all went downhill. I ended up with femoral nerve damage, IT (iliotibial) band damage down side of leg, and shorter leg. Often I wish I had my old pain back. Only thing I don't have is groin pain but everything else is terrible. I'm 77.

Comment from: Wantmylifeback, (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 35 years old I have avascular necrosis in both hips. I need a bilateral hip replacement. I'm ready for my life back.

Comment from: MJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

At age 65 I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis. I did not even know what this was. My pain was in the groin and hip bone area. I was fortunate to be able to have the surgery for total hip replacement within 2 1/2 weeks after diagnosis. I did great after surgery for about 3 weeks, then got an infection in the skin that caused me to need more rest and less exercise. That was a setback for me. Since then, I have not been pain free. I have a big goal to go with my granddaughter on a make-a-wish trip to Disney World in one week, 11 weeks after surgery. I am still having some pain but having therapy 3 times/week and improving very slowly. I am disappointed in still having pain. I am thinking positive and being careful, plus many wishes from friends and family will help I'm sure.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I had full hip replacement five and a half weeks ago. I fell while curling (this is the ice game that has people sweeping in front of rocks on the ice). I did not know I broke my hip at first and moved around in horrible pain for a week until I was admitted to emergency. I had one hanging leg! After the emergency surgery not having pain was a relief, I started walking with a walker and did physiotherapy (PT) in payment and now do outpatient PT. I am hoping after my x-ray tomorrow, the doctor will give me clearance to start bending! I have no pain, just the jab if I twist too quickly. The PT has helped so much. I can walk three miles with and without the walker. Looking forward to driving myself this week at last. I attribute my wellbeing to the skill of the surgeon, and following PT religiously.

Comment from: Ms.Harris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have chronic sinus infection and allergy. I had the sinus surgery and I wish I never did because it brought on other issues that affect me. I can't smell or taste anything most of the time. I still get infections, and my goodness, headaches. I eat my part of good green vegetables but I do have high blood pressure. I have tried the Neti pot and the nasal sprays which my doctor told me not to use because it dries me out. I have an issue with very bad breath too although I take care of my oral hygiene but I have noticed that when I talk the person would be flickering their nose with their finger and they sometimes just kind of pinch their nose. This is by far the most embarrassing thing ever. When I'm in a room full of people it appear the room gets filled with horrible mouth funk. It smells like I have a very bad cold. I do what I am supposed to do and with this issue I don't know how to fix. The dentist can't help so I am wondering what I can do at home.

Comment from: Susan Hale, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

My favorite form of exercise involved a lot of hip and knee bending. My left hip to ankle began to ache about a year ago, but I thought it was just muscle pain. Mentioned it to my smart female general physician and she nailed it, sending me for an MRI. It showed significant cartilage loss on the left side. I have never been so surprised in my life; none of that in my family history. Pain is now unbearable and I cannot do much. I am booking a total hip replacement (THR) as we speak.

Comment from: happier, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

June 1, 2010, (62 years old) after 6 months of right hip pain - holding walls to walk until circulation was reestablished after sitting - physical therapy, and steroid shots, I had a total hip replacement (THR). Hospitalization was 6 days due to anemia, home health care was one week, outpatient physical therapy was 3 weeks, and back to work in 6 weeks. I was cleared to drive and walk without a cane at two weeks. It was great to walk without pain and do everything I wanted without considering hip issues. In 2013, I began having a different type of pain with the left leg, such as groin pain, bursitis and knee soreness. I went for medical guidance and x-rays showed mild to severe hip osteoarthritis. I began two separate rounds of physical therapy, chiropractor visits and leg massages, all weekly for over a year. By July 2014, I was dragging my left leg. X-rays were not indicating a change so an MRI was done and it indicated a labrum tear, tendonitis, bursitis and multiple bone spurs on the femur ball. Surgery was scheduled 3 months out. Surgery was excellent, hospital stay 60 hours, walker at home 2 days, cane through 4th week when out of house, in home therapy 2 weeks, driving at two weeks, and outpatient physical therapy to be 4 weeks. The thigh swelling, soreness and tightness are all post-surgical issues which with each week get better and are within 10% of normal. At three weeks, soreness/tenderness on outside of thigh is still present but in time will disappear. The hip stiffness after sitting and upon first three steps is frustrating but should also be gone by 2nd to 3rd month. The left hip issues were much more progressed than the right and thus are taking longer to heal. I am thrilled to sleep and wake up/move without the hip bone on bone pain. The right surgeon is the key as well. I worked with the same surgeon both times, who is associated with a sports medicine center. I definitely agree with others that doing pre-surgery muscle improvement and having a healthy weight as well as a positive mindset will aid in recovery. I am so looking forward to a full recovery and running with my grandsons, again.

Comment from: helpformom, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My mom kept having a hip that went out on her and she was in pain a lot. At first they thought it was her back, and after many injections of cortisone, they did x-ray and it showed that she had rheumatoid arthritis really bad and one side was longer than the other, and it was a mess! My mom was having these problems with both sides! So they decided to do the left first, and she was told she would be up and at it in no time.

Comment from: Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

For years I walked with a limp caused by a very painful left knee. My doctor told me my knee joint had a lot of scar tissue (result of skiing accident) and that I was a good candidate for replacement but I was too young (62). Then, I began suffering from what I imagined was a pulled groin muscle I was sent to see a specialist who suggested I have hip replacement. This was 8 years ago. It turns out the knee pain was caused by the hip and after a few days of pain after hip replacement, I had physiotherapy for about a month and am now as active and pain free as I was as a much younger person. My right hip is now beginning to give me problems and I will probably see about having it replaced as well.

Comment from: maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was watering my flowers in the front yard when I stepped on something and it moved under my foot causing a hard fall. I fractured my right hip and pelvic resulting in total hip replacement.

Comment from: granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was putting the cat out, after I picked him up off the bed I turned and fell over the doggie steps at the foot of the bed. Fell, bang, right on my hip and broke it! Ouch! I ended up with total hip replacement.

Comment from: 29hipreplacement, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was 29 when I had my hip replacement. I had Legg-Calve-Perthes disease as a child, stage 4. I tried to change jobs to keep working but it became impossible even to go grocery shopping. I was in pain after only a few steps, my hip clicked and hurt constantly.

Comment from: majestic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I"m 57 and had a total hip replacement (THR) on Dec 20, 2013 due to osteoarthritis. I was in pain for a couple of years and only wish I had done it sooner. I had physical therapy at home and 2 months later I had a little set back. Suddenly I couldn"t lift my leg to get in and out of bed and in the car. It was very upsetting since the recovery was doing so well. The doctor said I had bursitis in the trochanter joint. How could that happen since I had the THR! I used to have bursitis in the hip before the surgery. So I just accepted it and I went easy and used the leg lifting device again and within 4 weeks I was back to normal. I have no more groin pain or hip pain.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Due to a very active sporting life in martial arts, my right hip was bone against bone, my body was traumatized after being kept waiting for surgery for 8 months, my body was burning up, and burning calories, I lost 8kgs in weight. I was all skin and bone, my friends thought I had cancer. When I finally got my total hip replacement, the operation was only 67minutes, I was only in hospital for 3 days, on crutches 3 weeks, and back at work after only 4 weeks. Five months later, I have just had my 2nd hip replacement, my left hip, with a new procedure, less muscle cutting, less swelling and quicker recovery. It is only week 2, and I am walking without crutches. This operation is not to be scared of, as long as you are in reasonable shape, before the operation. If you are like 65% of the population, obese, high blood pressure, diabetic, then you may well have problems, as surgeons and nurses do not have magic wands. You have to want to look after yourself, and if you make the effort then you will be fine.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

A few years ago I began having occasional pain in my hips without apparent cause. Over time frequency and severity increased. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who eventually diagnosed me with bilateral avascular necrosis of the hips and I needed bilateral total hip replacement surgery as soon as possible. I have had my right hip done and began to experience pain similar to pre-surgery days at seven months post-operation. I"m frightened and discouraged and have chosen to not have my left hip done. I can"t handle the pain. I"m 54 and feel much older since the surgery. My experience has been bad. I don"t understand what"s caused my AVN.

Comment from: NH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suffered several injuries as the result of an accident at work, including a broken hip. Two years later, with ongoing pain and avascular necrosis, I will have a THR (total hip replacement) to resolve pain, give me a better future.

Comment from: titan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had bad osteoarthritis in the right hip and severe pain over couple of years. I had total hip replacement on 24 Oct 13, very painful for 3 days and had numb knee which kept me in bed a day extra. I learned to use Zimmer, then crutches as soon as possible, then home after 4 days. To date, 14th November, I walk up and down stairs and have been shopping, using one crutch. I hardly needed painkillers as all old pain is gone, I just have slight wound healing pain.

Comment from: scott, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

Overwork sometimes called early burnout caused my need for hip replacement. I had a very hard physically demanding job. At 40 I had my first heart attack. I was built like brick house, could lift and pull extreme weight, then bang, ever since, my health has deteriorated substantially. I'm now 43 and been told I'm too ill for hip replacement as there is 90% chance of dying. So I've been told total amputation, but they have changed their minds so to be honest I don't know what they are going to do.

Comment from: Almond joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am a 63 year old very active female. I have osteoarthritis and had both knees replaced in 2010 and 2011. I had my right hip replaced on February 13, 2014. I am very happy with all replacements. I did have home health for all replacements. I feel the key to a successful recovery is to follow all the rules your surgeon and physiotherapist require. I will see my surgeon on March 21 for a follow up. Home health has already released me, because progress has been excellent.

Comment from: HURTINGHIP, Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I required a hip replacement due to a fractured hip many years ago that developed osteoarthritis due to this trauma. I am 46 years old, but a "young" 46. It is a difficult decision to make to have the surgery. The more doctors you see for second, third, or fourth opinions, the more confused you will be. Whatever you do, DO NOT allow them to cut your muscles and find a doctor who does the direct anterior approach, which is one of several minimally invasive techniques. The muscle is spread, not cut. BEWARE of a doctor who tells you this is "bad" and can cause damage if you are a person of trim to average size. BEWARE of a doctor who speaks negatively against other surgeons and brags about his (or her) own abilities while putting down another surgeon. People who have the minimally invasive techniques are in far less pain, get back to work sooner, and do not end up using crutches or a walker for weeks and weeks like when the muscle is cut.

Comment from: lknapp1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm a woman 67 years young, live alone, trim build, good health, very active lifestyle and yet suffered from osteoarthritis of the hip which required a total left hip replacement. Although I had severe pain when I put pressure on my leg directly after surgery, every day afterward was remarkably better. My doctor chose to use stitches which dissolve instead of staples, which I greatly appreciate. After 4 days in the hospital, I went to a rehab facility and was using both a walker and a cane. After 3 days in rehab, I was only using the cane. After 5 days in rehab, I was able to walk without the cane for short distances. After 11 days in rehab, I went home, did not require home nursing (remember, I live alone), am able to drive and signed up for outpatient rehab. All-in-all -- I'm extremely pleased with my results and look forward to getting back to an active lifestyle very shortly. My doctor said I'll be dancing again just 6 weeks after my surgery. I have 3 weeks to go.

Published: December 27

I am a 52 year old man with arthritis and had a total hip replacement. I am a big guy weighing about 280 lbs but always exercised and worked out. I was walking with the aid of a walker the night of the surgery and after a two night stay in the hospital was released on the third day. At that time I was walking with only a cane and on the fourth day post op I was driving and walking around my house without a cane. Of course I have surgical pain and am doing physical therapy exercises but the preoperational joint pain is gone. I am on 6.5 mg a day of Warfarin to achieve the necessary PTINR level of 2.0 in my blood. I think the sooner you get up and about, carefully, the better will be the recovery. From what I hear, those that heal in a more sedentary state tend to develop issues and have longer recovery. I should have had the surgery years ago and would tell anyone to get the surgery if it is affecting your quality of life.

Comment from: Wells Fargo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

As a retired person I play a lot of golf and for a year before my hip operation had suffered a lot of pain, both when playing golf and just walking. After referral to a consultant X-rays and a further consultation it transpires I have congenital hip dysplasia in both hips though the left hip shows as worse on the X-rays but gives me no trouble. Since the operation I have had no pain at all.

Comment from: lerf848, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have had both hips replaced. The first one was nine years ago, and the other one was almost three months ago. I have been told that I can never take a tub bath again. The cause was shallow hip sockets that resulted in bone-on-bone pain.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was 18 when I had my first THR (Right). I had suffered from lower back pain and pain radiating down my legs. I was a freshman in college when I started having groin pain. Went to the hospital because the pain got to the point where I would scream in pain when I moved my leg. The doctor there told me that I had pulled muscles. Gave me some pain pills and muscle relaxers, told me to use crutches and sent me on my way. The pills ran out a month later and the pain was still there. Went back to my family Dr who said that I had tendonitis in my back and leg, but she gave me Prednisone. The pills took a lot of the pain away but I still couldn't walk without crutches. After about 4 months of the pain getting worse and worse, to the point where I could barely sit on the toilet and get up, she sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who told me that I needed a THR. I had the right one done on April 5, 2010, then on October 20, 2010 I had my left hip replaced. After almost a year of knowing something has been wrong with me, I finally found a Dr who could diagnose me. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Comment from: Grandmother, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

In May of 2004, I had a THR of the left hip. One day later, the device failed and a revision was done. After the revision, I was on bed rest for two days. On the third day after the revision, the device dislodged causing unbearable pain. I was treated with a morphine drip for another week until I could have a third surgery. This surgery included the THR and a reconstruction procedure. My recuperation took more than a year. I walked with a cane for four years, which wore out the right hip. My right hip was replaced in November of 2010. Presently, I'm in outpatient PT and progressing well. My therapist has incorporated the left hip, attempting to strengthen it. I'm looking forward to walking normally again.

Comment from: Pk1752, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I needed a total hip replacement because I slipped and fell on a patch of ice.

Comment from: debsbabs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a total hip replacement (right) on 6/26/13. It is now 7/15/13, and I am back to work full time. I do work in an office so it isn't manual labor, which I don't think I could do yet. I am walking without a cane or walker a lot of the time and now am anxious to be able to drive again. I don't see the surgeon until 7/25/13, but I've left a msg with his office to let me know if I can drive since I'm having no problems at all. Please let me drive...

Comment from: dislocated, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm 41 and had a THR after a hip pinning that I had six months ago failed. I had a nonunion fracture. It'[s been two weeks since the surgery, and my ceramic hip has dislocated twice, causing unbearable pain. I was getting into bed both times. I have not had the miraculous experience of walking unassisted after a few days or of feeling less pain after the surgery than before. It was the only option for me, but it has still ended up not being a good option.

Comment from: Shelby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am about to have a total hip replacement. I am 59 ½ and have arthritis and severe joint, groin, and stabbing pain. I have a doctor who does 400 surgeries yearly, so I hope all goes well.

Comment from: vj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I lost both of my hips to avascular necrosis seven years ago. Since then, I have gone through seven long, painful years.

Comment from: zane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I just had hip surgery 15 days ago. I am 67 and an athletic woman – I just took a 10-mile bicycle ride today, which was approved by the doctor. Anterior vs. posterior: don't let anyone talk you into posterior. I had surgery at 2 p.m. and was out of the hospital at 2 p.m. the next day. I've had some pain during the first seven days, but not that much. I took very few pain meds following the surgery. I feel very lucky I had an excellent surgeon. Be careful and make sure you have the right doctor.

Comment from: bentrydr, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

Get it in writing! I had my right hip replaced, and asked for ceramic because the woman who told me about this hospital said her husband had ceramic and was happy. The surgeon said he would replace my hip with ceramic. When I needed the left done about a year later, I asked for ceramic like the first. The doctor said it was steel, it was too late to change, and I was happy with it. I requested the same for the left. He said I could. But when the letter came that my hip(s) were being recalled I told everyone I had two recalled hips. I talked to the surgeon and he told me only the left was recalled. I asked why he didn't replace the same as the first. He said he thought it was best for me was to put in a hip that had less chance of dislocating. Sounds like he thought the first one was not very good. Yet, he put that one in anyway? Now I'm having trouble trusting someone to replace the recalled hip.

Comment from: RoseJen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am 47 and today my right hip started to give me some pain. It has gradually gotten stiffer since I was 34. During these years, I have been able to keep myself flexible through physical training – I participate in triathlons, weight training, and yoga. This past year it has gotten to the point where I can't put a sock on my right foot, for example, and my pain has increased dramatically. The training is still my rescue, but after a doctor's visit a few months ago, I was informed that the cause of my arthritis is hip luxation. Long story short; I have now made my choice – in about six weeks I am going to have a total hip replacement (THR). Yes, I am terrified, anxious, and feel like a failure as I actively train 4-6 times per week. However, I now choose to believe it will only get better doing the THR.

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had hip replacement surgery almost 2 weeks ago. I spent one night in the hospital and was strong enough to go home the day after surgery. I am a 55 year old female and have athletic all my life. That is why I believe my recovery has been good. I use a walker to get around the house but only because my doctor says it's a good idea. I can walk fine without anything. I am very disappointed however that the operated leg-hip is now about 1/2" longer than my other leg. Of course I told this to my doctor the day after surgery and he felt it was due to my swollen hip and contracted muscles. I am hoping that when I return for my first post-op visit next month my leg will be normal.

Comment from: Titanium Ceramic Gir, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I needed a THR because a prior surgery called a hip pinning had failed. The hip pinning was done after I fell and broke my femoral neck bone. The pain I have had since both surgeries has been agonizing. I would never have had either surgery if I had the choice. If it was something I could have planned, I would have shopped around, literally, for the right surgeon, the right hospital, the right device (if there are any), and the right care for the right length of time and so on and so forth.

Comment from: jakobj, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a total hip replacement 8 years ago when I was 58. I recovered quickly and within 6 weeks was back at work with a cane which I used for about a month. Since then I've had no problems. I also suffer from chronic back pain so walking any distance for exercise, is painful. However, cycling is fine and I usually cycle 60 to 90 minutes daily which seems to help in keeping my leg and hip muscles strengthened.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: January 23

I had a total hip replacement on my left side one year ago due to a fall. No pain medications were taken and I didn't gain any weight. Three months of physical therapy and I am functioning about seventy percent from my previous lifestyle.

Comment from: Cheryl Parker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I'm a 54 year old female and my hip replacement is a horror story. I had a right hip replacement due to pain in the hip. Later I had to go right back into surgery for a bleed from a nicked vein. Into ICU for four days. My legs hurt so bad. I had to have blood transfusions. More days in a regular room, I was in so much pain nothing worked. Then to a wicked rehab for 5 days, had to escape it. Since I have been home hip popped out three times, I'm afraid to sneeze I wish I had never done it.

Comment from: Harley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was in a car crash in October 2010, after which I was basically rebuilt with rods and plates and screws in each arm and leg. I broke nine ribs, two parts of my sternum, both ankles and a heel. Now I need a ball replacement in my right shoulder because the old was badly damaged and what was left had crumbled. I also need a right hip replacement because I now have arthritis in the joint which is very painful. Before all this I will have a plate and screw removed from my left wrist. I have to have two plates removed that were holding my pelvis together before they do the hip replacement but thankfully it will all be done at the same time. I am so grateful to a large medical team for all that they have done over the past two years to help me get my life back, thank you.

Comment from: 4444pack, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Total hip replacement was because of osteoarthritis. I suffered for over two years. Finally my hip hurt so bad one day in May of the second year it made me go to the hospital. I was sent for an ex-ray, nothing, and then an MRI nothing, and then a cat scan nothing. The doctors were starting to wonder what was going on as I could hardly walk and the pain was extreme that I had to give up working. Then they tried one final ex-ray in a different town, that doctor came back and said you have less than 10% of your hip left. One month later they had me booked in for a total hip replacement, and I'm now on the road to recovery with physical therapy. I'm so glad I found this site to help me along with my recovery.

Comment from: airedale2, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

One word: "overweight!"

Comment from: MsScott, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I'm a 52-year-old, former dancer and fitness instructor with osteoarthritis. I had a total hip replacement in March 8th. I was in the hospital for 4 days. I got up and walked to the bathroom the 2nd day. I went home with Percocet and warfarin (blood thinner to prevent blood clots). A nurse and a physical therapist came to my house 2-3 times per week. The physical therapists gave me exercises to do to increase my range of motion and strength. I followed their guidelines religiously. Yesterday I walked a quarter mile with a walker and a few blocks on my own without a walker or crutches. I walk very slowly - but I am recovering well. I plan to return to work in two days. I have been off pain meds for two weeks. I have no blood clots, and I would say it was a success! I think I can be fully recovered within a few months as long as I stick with the physical therapy.

Comment from: Syl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 09

I had a total hip replacement done in 2008. I was 72 at that time. The surgery went well, and I was discharged from the hospital in five days. I followed all the instructions given by the physical therapist and other professionals. I used a cane for about six weeks and have been pain-free since, thanks to my doctor and all the other caregivers.

Comment from: pianogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I needed a total hip replacement on both hips at age 55. I had horrid pain all the time, even in bed, and could not do anything at all without tremendous pain! I tried losing 55 pounds, swimming, supplements, physical therapy, and water aerobics, but nothing at all helped the pain. I had my right hip replaced on Jan. 19, 2010, and my left hip replaced on July 13, 2010. My first hip went very well and the recovery was easy; not pain-free but relatively easy. I was in very good shape, however. My second hip went well, but I had to have a blood transfusion and my oxygen level took a week and a half to level out. I stayed in the rehab unit at the hospital for five more days as well. A year later, my hips are wonderful, and I have no pain. I am so very happy I had my surgeries.

Comment from: Porchia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Severe psoriatic arthritis. The pain for two years was unconscionable. I can barely able to walk even with high doses of Dilaudid, anti-inflammatories, etc. To do anything but lie down was excruciating. At times even that hurt a lot. My surgeon said psoriatic arthritis hurts like 20 times more than other arthritis. The relief was immediate upon awakening. A whole new pain, but nothing like before I was put to sleep. I was not able to walk into the hospital as it was both hips. I had each one replaced three months apart.

Comment from: martin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

My hip replacement was deeded necessary because I shattered my left acetabulum in an accident. This was last October, the surgeon did operate on that initially, but it was unsuccessful. As a result I had a total hip replacement in May. After 7 weeks I am just able to walk without sticks but have quite a severe limp. I get quite a lot of pain when standing after relaxing for any length of time, which I think is muscular, especially in the groin region. I am due to visit the specialist's clinic next week, just hoping everything is holding together okay.

Comment from: nanar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was seeing an orthopedic surgeon for bone on bone hip joint problems. Surgery was on the docket but had to have metal allergy tests done first. Results are severe metal allergies. He is at a loss so we are looking for solutions. I am not allergic to titanium but just about everything else. Is there any hope for me. Was very active, horseback, quad, dog walking, gardening, etc. now almost confined to the house. Getting heavy and frustrated.

Comment from: Dorothy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Breast cancer that has moved to the bones. Starting with tumors on the spinal column a year ago and now infiltrating the spine itself. The femur is now involved as well as the socket. At the verge of fracturing so replacement is a must to be followed by radiation on the lumbar and sacrum for additional tumors that have been found.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

June 30, 2011 I had the right hip replaced by the anterior approach. I had it done on a Thursday, released from the hospital on Friday. I used a walker on Saturday a cane on Sunday and by the following Friday I was walking without any assistance. I did not have to have any therapy. I started back walking at the YMCA within 2 weeks. I was back at work within 4 weeks. It was wonderful. The pain was gone immediately. I was actually up walking the night of my surgery, pain free. My only issue is I had and still have some leg tremors of a night.

Comment from: janeprowler, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

Birth defect caused me to require a hip replacement. The bone at the top was acorn shaped instead of round causing it to wear through my hip bone over many years.

Comment from: HappyHips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am on my 5th post-op left hip replacement day. I've had problems with my left hip for about 30 yrs. My right hip started acting up about 5 years ago. I began a strict exercising routine last Sept, which made my hips deteriorate faster. I was born with hip dysplasia which predisposed me to osteoarthritis. My sockets are too shallow. I'm walking with my walker and following all the instructions my doctor says. My doctor from Los Angeles is a hip revision specialist and did my mom's 3rd hip replacement last year at age 82; she did great! He fixes the mistakes of other ortho surgeons. I went to him from the start. I had a minimally invasive posterior approach and feel pretty darn good! Looking forward to getting my right hip done later this year! Being fit and healthy play an important role in your recovery, so take care of yourself.

Comment from: seajwolf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I decided to get a THR after experiencing excruciating pain after sitting on any hard surface for more than a minute. While I had been sleeping on a memory foam mattress and using NCIDS for several years this is the pain that was most disturbing to me.

Comment from: keegansmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a total hip replacement in 2008 when I was only 22. It was a traumatic experience for me. It took me 6 months to be able to walk normally and I put on 70 pounds also because of not being able to be physically active like before my surgery. I was diagnosed with hip displasia. When I was born the doctor pulled me out of my mother and pulled my hip out of socket. The doctor popped it back into place. My parents started to see problems when I started walking and I had to go through several surgeries as a small child. Then at 22 I had to get that hip replaced. I bought an elliptical a few months ago and I have noticed a big change. The elliptical is low impact on your joints. Since then I have lost about thirty pounds and the muscles around my hip are much stronger. I slipped in the kitchen last week, usually that would injure my hip but since those muscles are strong I was able to get right back up. This prosthesis won't ever be the same as an original hip, but I am doing everything I can to make the best of it. I was in severe pain after the surgery, the pain meds weren't helping, I then found out I had been having muscle spasms. If I ever have hip pain I have to take a muscle relaxer, that fixes it, I guess my main problem has been when the muscles are weak around my hip. I still have muscle spasms, but not nearly as much since I have been using the elliptical.

Comment from: coolmom359, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My total hip replacement wasn't a choice I could make! I am a 57 year old lady truck driver and fell when getting out of my truck and broke my right hip. The pain was awful! I am on my 3rd week after the surgery and it's still painful, I am walking with a quad cane very successfully. Not sure if I will ever be qualified to drive a big truck again but sure hope so!

Comment from: Amy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had a left hip replacement 4 1/2 weeks ago and continue to do a lot of walking and home exercises. I can't tell you how happy I am that the pain of the hip before surgery has decreased to nothing as I continue to exercise. My doctor has done over 1700 hip replacements and has had good results on almost all of them. It is not a hard surgery and well worth it.

Comment from: kefsgrandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had very bad arthritis in my left hip which made it very difficult to walk without being in pain. I had hip replacement surgery done January 18, 2011. I am almost 2 months after surgery and I am walking great with a cane. I have a limp if I don't use the cane. Still doing pt. leg aches at night behind the knee and down the thigh where the incision is. Feels better to be walking. Gets stiff if I sit for awhile. Seems like that side of my buttocks is still swollen. First two weeks were not a walk in the park. I hated being on the Oxycodone because of the way it made me feel, but the pain relief it gave me was great. I had never taken anything stronger than a Tylenol.

Comment from: Moe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had daily pain in my sciatic nerve and groin area, especially when driving. Also, when walking my right leg was "giving out" on me and causing me to limp. X-ray showed severe Degenerative Joint Disease. I had total hip replacement done 5 months ago.

Comment from: childcarrier, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am 68 years old and had my total hip replacement done 12-20-10. My hip was bone on bone. The doctor said that I needed it done. There was no pain at all. The hospital kept on trying to give me pain pills, but I said that I had no pain. I still have had no pain. It's almost been 2 months now, and I walk with a cane outside, but inside I'm doing a lot of walking with out one. It feels great to be able to walk with out pain for the first time in 5 years or more. Next I have to have my right knee replaced. I hope it goes as well as my knee has done. I drive a school bus for a living and hope to go back to that at the end of March.

Comment from: Leo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 30 years old. Had both the hip joints replaced. The recovery is a critical phase. Now I really feel good can walk and drive. Thanks to the technology and the doctor.

Comment from: henny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was hit with polymyalgia rheumatica and was given high doses of steroids for more than 2 years. The pain in my hip/groin started slowly about three months ago and cannot walk at all now. Scheduled for a hip replacement this month. I am scared to death since I still have symptoms of PMR.

Comment from: Carla Alaniz, 25-34 Female Published: May 09

I'm 26 years old. I've been having surgeries since I was 5 years old in my right hip. My family says I was born with my leg out of place. Now that I had my last surgery in 2004, the doctor told me I would need a right hip replacement. Now that I'm getting older my leg bothers me more and more. I'm a little scared, but I need it…

Comment from: drita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had both hips replaced five times total. I have pain every day. I have a hard time standing on my feet and walking. I am only 37 years old wonder what will happen when I get older. I need to work and I cannot do anything. I wish to no one what I have experienced with my all surgery. I still have a lots of pain on my both hips and my back.

Comment from: Busted hip, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 32 years old this week, and I have needed a left hip replacement for years. I will have it done this December. You all know the pain and embarrassment I feel. I couldn't even wipe myself last time I went to the bathroom, when it got cold and rained in the same day. I have a young family and I ride a motorcycle for a living. I'm scared that I won't be able to go back to my job to support my family. I can't play with my children the way I used to. I worry the kids will resent this as it will be all too soon before I'm back for my next replacement ( if the other hip doesn't go first). I had a slipped epithisis at 13 years old then the other at 15 years old. I have had arthritis since 24 years old. I'm crossing my fingers hoping for the best.

Comment from: violette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a total hip replacement 2 years ago and I can't lift my foot off the ground. The doctor keeps giving injections of cortisone into the burssa, but that was not it. Now I don't know what to do. I still can't lift it, and I have to pick up my leg to get into the car. I am 57 years old, and I don't think this is normal to have such pain.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter