Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Nona, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had a left total hip replacement with an anterior incision. I wasn't at all prepared for the groin pain, but things are healing nicely. The surgery was on September 11, 2017. I still have physiotherapy three times a week. The therapist says I'm doing very well considering my weight and other health issues. I will say, I no longer have the arthritic pain. Nice! The only major complaint I have is that when I try to sleep in bed my legs ache so badly it brings years to my eyes. I sleep in the recliner. I am elevating with pillows. Also, at nine weeks in I am not sure if I should still get shaky and sore when I go grocery shopping. I will have the right hip replaced early next year. But, I will lose weight and work on fitness.

Comment from: Colette P, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am a 59 year old female. I had total hip replacement of the right hip on 5/11/2017, posterior lateral procedure. I was released from hospital on 5/13/17. I began outpatient therapy on 5/15/2017. Only used a walker the night I went home, and switched to a cane for a few days. I was driving within 4 weeks, back at the gym (limited upper body exercises) after 6 weeks. I am 4 1/2 months past surgery and doing great thanks to the physical therapy (PT). I was very active before surgery, and the therapist considered this as his approach to my therapy. There are very little movements that I can't do now, have very minimal pain when doing certain movements. Overall, the PT made a major difference in my recovery, along with the fact that I was active prior to surgery and had the right mindset to improve quickly. I was already doing squats (just body weight) after 3 months. I never limped, used very little pain killers. Pre-operative conditioning is key, starting PT as soon as possible is extremely important, and again, having the will and determination to improve makes a vast difference. I am glad I got this done, have no complaints.

Comment from: Julieanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I had a full hip replacement 14 weeks ago. I went home in 24 hours, working from home just 48 hours later despite having initially been overdosed with multiple drugs by a thoroughly incompetent nursing staff. I got myself off all pain medicines in less than ten days though the pain was worse than anything I'd ever encountered, including childbirth. As a part-time yoga instructor, I was anxious to get back to full mobility but this has not happened yet. Because I am not 'old' I was told that I manufacture swelling and inflammation that the elderly do not. Hence the reason most older patients tend to do better than younger patients. My flexibility is slowly returning though there are multiple yoga poses I still cannot do yet because they fully load the hip while balancing. This has been frustrating though after getting a severe case of bursitis from the surgery, I'm grateful that I no longer limp or need a cane. My surgeon was one of the best in the country and did a superb job but I was never fully made aware of just how painful and difficult recovery from this surgery truly is. Education is a must and expectations must be more realistically set so patients are better prepared for the duration and intensity of recovery. No matter what doctors say, this is a long term process and an extremely serious surgery, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Comment from: Ramona , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had an anterior approach total hip replacement on my right hip 4 1/2 week ago. While the pain I had before surgery is now gone, I have a list of other issues I did not have prior to the surgery. My entire right thigh and knee (but not the incision) are numb. I periodically get pain shooting through that area. I was forced to go home the day of the surgery even though I could barely function with a walker. I had terrible constipation from the medications and was back in the emergency room two days later. My doctor refused to refill my pain medicines and I was told I cannot take anything but Tylenol. Now that I am 4 weeks out, I am using a walker but now my left hip (the good one) is popping every time I take a step but the physiotherapist says there is nothing we can do. I just got to the recumbent bike. It is very discouraging to talk to people who have had the same surgery as me and older than me recovering with no issues and quickly. I have to return to work full time sitting without breaks for 4 plus hours before I can even drive since I work from home. I can say I am grateful the hip joint feels better but I almost would have rather kept the pain and pushed through it compared to the pain in other areas I have now.

Comment from: kauaistyle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I had my anterior hip replacement 9 days ago. A very experienced competent doctor here who performs the latest techniques on professional athletes, and done thousands to date. I was 'told' I would be up the first day, minimal pain, etc., untrue in my case. The doctor explained he did me up pretty good to ensure it all was in place, muscle retraction (and not cutting tendons like the old days) is similar to hard core blunt trauma. I am still on crutches today, small incremental strengthening doing my passive physiotherapy every other hour. I refused any kind of narcotic and took high dose ibuprofen, then aspirin during the day. The pain is finally manageable and I sleep decently. Still I have deep general pain in thigh and outside calf. I walk the block once a day, ice some, and TENS unit for stimulation helps too. I am hoping this keeps getting better!

Comment from: sharon jones, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I had a total hip replacement on my left hip 6 years ago. Now I have very bad pain and constant throbbing on the replacement, and also clicking when I walk.

Comment from: Glenda, Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had total hip replacement in March of 2016 and had little trouble with recovery and went back to work in five weeks. I had the other hip replaced five weeks ago and am in terrible pain all the time, can't sleep at night, etc. The front of my leg from above my knee to below is numb and the incision area is also numb along with being very tender. I seem to be more flexible this time and can climb stairs and do some other things better than last time, the pain is much, much worse. I had physical therapy from four days after surgery for three times a week for three weeks. When I sit for a while I am so stiff and sore when I stand and I walk with a noticeable limp. My six week visit is next week and I am hoping he can solve what's wrong. I definitely do not want to have this to look forward to for the rest of my life.

Comment from: isolte, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had total hip replacement (THR) operation 1 year and two months ago to treat narcosis of the bone, and well, everything in the hip! I am a dancer, and I was dancing on the leg like that for a long time. I eventually used a wheelchair. It took a long time to recover, and I only came off crutches 1 month ago! But everything is good with my operated leg (right leg). I have some pain in my groin on my opposite leg (my left leg) which is worrying. I have looked over my x-rays, and I see no wear and tear on the hip joint of my non-operated leg. I have thought that maybe it is an iliopsoas strain. I had some burning pain in my lower back region which is now thankfully gone. I was asked to walk too soon after my operation which the osteopathic team said damaged the iliopsoas. But, I don't know what is happening with the opposite hip. The groin is tight and it hurts to rotate, though doesn't hurt to walk.

Comment from: Tailwind, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I had my hip replaced Tuesday before Christmas 2016. I was on my feet that evening. My physiotherapist did his evaluation and the next morning I was walking around the hospital without walker or cane. I was released at noon. The surgeon and surgery were excellent. One of the things that helped the most in my opinion was getting the list of rehabilitation exercises and starting those 3 months before the surgery.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a ceramic hip inserted 10 years ago. It has been fantastic. I took my time with rehabilitation, followed the program to a tee and swam as soon as I could. I am booked to have my other hip replaced and I plan to follow the same program, not pushing too hard too soon.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had total hip replacement surgery 8 weeks ago. The surgery went great, (best surgeon ever), and on the day of the surgery I was up and walking, with a walker of course. Within two weeks after the surgery I was walking with a cane; with in-home physiotherapy may I add. I work hard with my physical therapy twice a week. I am now walking freely without any devices. I am back at work but I have a desk job so I get up every hour to do my exercises. I would say this is the best decision I have ever made. I have zero pain and I do what my physical therapist tells me to do.

Comment from: Jtm, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I had total hip replacement surgery 5 weeks ago and never used a walker or cane. I work hard on my physical therapy exercises for I am still experiencing muscle pain and spasms. I can work around them during the day but the nights are rough for the pain wakes you up. I did not experience instant pain relief after surgery but I am hopeful that after a few more weeks the pain will subside.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a hip replacement (right hip) 7 weeks ago, and was up and about the next day, walking with a frame for a couple of days, then on two sticks, down to one. I don't use the stick unless I have to, but take it out with me when I go for walks. I have been doing my exercises but pushed the limit to see how much I could do and pulled a muscle, so it feels I am back to square one again. I have had to stop the exercises for a while. I think I will do what I am told to do in future and not what I think is best.

Comment from: Suzanne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I'm 77 years young and had a total hip replacement 40 years ago due to osteomyelitis of the femur when I was a year old. It was revolutionary to have a hip replacement so young, but it was done by an amazing doctor. It has lasted all these years because I took very good care of it, never climbing stairs, never jumping, or doing impact aerobics. However, after a strenuous trip to southern Italy where I did climb stairs, and walked 5 miles a day, the hip has failed. Having a hip this old creates its own problems as the materials have caused bone damage. I am anticipating revision surgery very soon and waiting for a second opinion. Last year one of my terrific doctors replaced two knees with amazing results. I am nervous, but beginning pre-surgical exercises and supplements, and trying to get my nerves under control as I anticipate 6 weeks of non-weight bearing. As I live along this will be difficult.

Comment from: Dr Blabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had a total hip replacement (right side) after suffering for nearly 5 years. Two years later, I am now 67. I loved to walk 3.6 miles every single day before, I couldn't anymore (only reason I finally had the surgery). The surgery was smooth, uneventful, and wonderful recovery. But I traded hip/leg/groin pain for back pain. The doctor said to walk through it. And I try. But I can't walk for more than 20 minutes without doubling over from my lower back cramping. One leg is longer than the other and I tried shoe wedges that did not help. I believe everything is out of whack and out of alignment and one thing that does help me is stretching. That nasty piriformis muscle can be annoying. But I do believe that is much of my problem. Occasionally, I feel nerve pain down my legs, so I may have some arthritis trouble included in the mix, but I was so hoping to be pain free after my surgery. I am, as long as I'm not walking. I took 1200 mg of Tylenol and a Norco yesterday before walking. It did nothing. Only relief is to sit down after 15 minutes. Oh, well.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had total hip replacement of the right hip in February 2016 because of arthritis. I was very athletic before the surgery, and had no weight problems. I have been in pain ever since. Even after four months of physical therapy, I am unable to do simple tasks without pain. Ask more questions before your surgery.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had a total hip replacement a week ago and no one told me about all of the fluid retention. I already have a little incontinence but for 3 days after surgery I was wearing diapers and having accidents every half hour or so. It was terrible. I have to have other hip replaced in 5 weeks and not excited for short term so need to focus on long term and being able to walk without a walker.

Comment from: Marcia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had left hip replaced last September. I played tennis 3 times a week prior to surgery and was in good shape. I walked the hall 3 hours after surgery, climbed a flight of stairs the following day and went home. I took pain pills for one week and was walking in a week without walker and never used a cane. I waited 6 weeks to go back to tennis. I still have a slight leg length discrepancy despite working out 2 times a week in gym and in pool 2 times a week. I have no pain and am told the legs will be even length eventually. Hips are even!

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had my right hip replaced over two years ago. My left hip was worse off with arthritis according to my orthopedist, but because the right was giving me more trouble, I had that one done first. I had trouble immediately after surgery. I had pneumonia, followed by fluid leaking out of the wound that was brownish. I was put on antibiotics for the pneumonia, however, following the fluid leaking from the wound, I ended up with cellulitis in the right leg. My leg was so red and so swollen right down to my toes that I was in agony. I begged for antibiotics but after a week I still was not put on them. They wanted to check me for a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) first. I had an ultrasound of my leg followed by some type of imaging. They found no DVT and all the while I was telling them it was cellulitis. By the time they finally put me on antibiotics they had to put me on the strongest IV one available. This was in rehabilitation. It was the worst experience I've ever had, and I've had a lot of bad surgical and health problems my whole life. The pain in my right hip has persisted until this day; sometimes it is so bad I can't even walk or put any weight on it. If I put weight on it, I fall. I wish I never had it done.

Comment from: Forelli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My left hip was replaced exactly 2 years ago, in 2014. I did a lot of pre-habilitation at the gym to strengthen glute muscles. After the surgery I had very little pain. In 1 week I went back to the gym. In 4 months I went back to Middle Eastern dance classes. In 1 year I was able to perform on stage again and begin teaching dance again. After a while you don't even remember you have a new hip; for example I was going into a courthouse and neither I nor security could figure out why the beepers kept going off. After a few minutes my friend said 'oh yeah, it's your hip!'

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I had direct approach total hip replacement on 5/3/16. Everything went great and I was up walking that day. After 2 days in the joint center I was discharged home. I had in-home therapy which wasn't bad. Today I went back for my 6 weeks checkup and the doctor discharged me, and said I may be only 6 weeks post operation but I was at the 3 month level. I now can drive and only use the cane for safety on long walks. I was also released from therapy. I know if I had my surgery the old cut down the back of leg way I would not be this far ahead. If you are told you need hip replacement, ask about the anterior direct approach.

Comment from: runboi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I had a total hip replacement on the right side in 2012 and it failed. I had a revision surgery in 2013 and ever since then I have been having really bad pain in the joint area. Today I still have these pains and it is sometimes impossible to walk and sometimes I need the use of a cane. I keep going back to the doctor and he reassures me that everything is fine.

Comment from: gardenlady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a total hip replacement a month ago and am still having trouble with my gait, and an awful ankle, knee and low back pain. I can get around the house and do but do not feel safe driving. The knee, sciatic pain and low back pain are the worst. I have not taken pain medicines and am walking about 1 mile a day now. I do not use a cane in the house but when I am out, I use a crutch if needed. I wonder if anyone else had such troubles with their other body parts adapting to the new hip.

Comment from: Marge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had total left hip replacement last May 2015. The surgery went well and I was very pleased until the hip and back became very stiff and sore when walking. My leg also bothers me most days. I did my exercises, went for physiotherapy, and everything I was supposed to do. If and when I go to the chiropractor it is great but only lasts a day or two and back to the stiffness again. Some tell me this is normal but I find that hard to believe. I would appreciate any assistance with this.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Exactly one month ago I had a left hip replacement via the anterior method. I have had absolutely no pain at all, no need for medication except aspirin for a blood thinner, vitamin C, multi vitamins and an anti-inflammatory tablet once a day. I am an 80 year old female and have been doing physical conditioning with a trainer to prepare for the surgery for several months before surgery. While I think my experience with no pain may be rare I do think the anterior method does increase the chance of less pain. I have physiotherapy 3 times a week now, I have been driving for some time now and can totally take care of myself and home. I think the key to a good recovery is probably to get help doing the proper exercises to strengthen yourself ahead of time. I was told in the hospital they never see results like mine unless a person has done physical therapy before surgery and then they always see really good recovery. I can walk well without a cane or walker but I am being very careful to maintain a good gait while walking so use a cane if I feel fatigue setting in or if I start limping.

Comment from: captain coupling, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had my second hip replacement done 1/11/2016. They cracked the top of the bone and had to put a longer and wider wedge down into my leg, plus a couple of clamps. I have had months of rehabilitation. I am not getting better at all. I walk with cane, can't bend down/over to put socks on or tie shoes. I walk like a penguin and can't pick my leg up. Last week they put a steroid shot into the tendon at the top of the leg. So far no change. I am getting worried I will be stuck like this.

Comment from: Rich, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I am a very overweight 57 year old male who was on crutches for two very painful years before having both hips replaced (in separate surgeries) last year (4 months between surgeries). Everything has gone perfectly and I went from not being able to separate my knees by more than an inch to having full, pain-free motion. Today I am walking normally. Lessons learned, insist on the anterior approach, the time to schedule a first surgeon appointment is the moment you start using a cane or other mechanical assistance, and pick your surgeon very carefully. My entire experience was fantastic. I got my life back. Next step, drop this extra weight! Note, your mileage may vary.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I had my anterior hip replacement on February 24. I tend to push the boundaries. I decided to walk with a crutch 1.5 km within six days of being operated. Within eight days I was back in hospital with severe cramping in the hip joint. The pain was ten out of ten. Within twenty four hours I was home. Backed off considerably and by the fourth week I was riding my road bike in a wind trainer machine. Unfortunately once again I pushed the limit by deciding to drive 250 km to see the Rip Curl Pro at Torquay. After spending several hours driving, walking and watching my hip went into spasm. I then had to work out a way for it to recover and somehow managed to drive home with breaks and eight out of ten pain which subsided after taking paracetamol rapid tablets. The biggest change for a person like me is being able to define what I can manage and what I can't. It is only four weeks and two days.

Comment from: Retired Cop, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I was told 5 years ago that I would need hip replacement in the near future. I put it off thinking that it would get better. Some days it did feel good but it never got better. So I had total hip [anterior] replacement on 2/5/16. I was in the hospital for 1 night. I was up and walking with the walker the afternoon of my surgery. I was on the walker for 2 days, used a cane for 2 days, and had 2 sessions of physical therapy at home. I did all the exercises she gave me and walked around the block [1/2 mile] daily. I saw my doctor at 2 weeks and he said I was doing really well and that if I wanted to I could do some therapy at the rehabilitation center. He also released me to drive. I decided to go to the rehab center and after 3 sessions at the rehab center I was advised that I didn't need to be there because I was so far ahead on my therapy that I could continue my therapy at the fitness center near where I lived. Three times a week I walk one mile on the treadmill and 1/2 mile on the stepper along with doing the exercises I was given. At 4 weeks I was taking short swings with a golf club and putting, and at 5 weeks I took some full swings; and it feels great. At 6 weeks I am going to try bowling. All I can say is, do what your doctor says, do your rehab and don't be a cry baby. Sure it may be painful but it will pay off in the end.

Comment from: tracker, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I had a total hip replacement 4 weeks ago. I walk with a cane now and no pain. Only problem I have is that the leg is approx. 3/8 inch too long which causes me to limp badly. I would walk and stand like a healthy person if proper measurements were taken. I don't know if the new hip is adjustable.

Comment from: Rob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I am 12 weeks post left hip replacement. My recovery has been relatively uneventful. I have been bothered by Achilles tendonitis on the non-operative side. I had this prior to the surgery. I am back to the gym and other activities. I have recently found myself feeling a bit blue recently. It's hard to explain. I am wondering if others have experienced this.

Comment from: GreggK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I am 41 and had bilateral hip replacement 5 weeks ago. I went home the day after surgery on crutches with no restrictions besides stopping if it hurt. The swelling has finally subsided but I have been having knee and thigh pain. I have been walking without aid for a week now but need a break after an hour or so. Out of nowhere, today I feel a shooting pain on the anterior of my left thigh and unable to apply weight without pain. My follow up appointment is in two day. Hope it is just par for the course.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had total right hip replacement in November of 1995 at the age of 60. Best decision that I have ever made. I was up and walking with walker next morning and have not had pain since the morning before my surgery. Now I am deciding about total knee replacement, and apprehensive about the procedure, but pain is getting worse and I will have to make that decision soon.

Comment from: Ganna47, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 16 weeks post operation for total hip replacement (THR). I had a fall and broke my hip so had an emergency THR. I had a spinal tap and recovered from the operation very quickly. Day before being released I had some sort of seizure and my hip and leg went into spasm, so I was in hospital for 17 days and my recovery was held up a little. Since then I have had no problems, followed the advice and did all the exercises, almost free of pain killers, just paracetamol when necessary, but my scar still hurts and I often get pain in my groin and my lower abdomen! No sticks or aids now but I am still finding it difficult to bear weight going up and down stairs. I also find it a little difficult to fully bend, and can't reach my feet. I am not sure what I should be doing at this point of my recovery.

Comment from: artmom57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I had total hip replacement on June 1, 2015. I had spinal anesthesia, no catheter, no drain, no staples, and no visible sutures. I was out of bed a couple of hours after surgery. I had the anterior approach. My surgery was on Monday and I went home Wednesday. I felt great from the moment I woke up in the operation room. I had physiotherapy the day after surgery to learn stairs and getting into the car. I used the walker for a few days and went to the cane one week post-operation. I did not need to take prescription pain medications and resumed driving at two weeks. I rode a bike at three weeks and went for a 12 mile ride at four weeks. I could go on and on as I increased my activity level. I continue to feel great and have had the best sleep in more than five years. I was scared going into this but I am thrilled with the results.

Comment from: SLynne1953, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a total hip replacement last Tuesday and was home on Wednesday. I have been using a walker to get around the house. My pain level is a little worse today and I have no idea of how I 'should' feel. I am on painkillers every 5 hours and have been going up and down the stairs and doing my exercises. I wonder if I am doing too much.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I just wanted to write to tell folks that I had two total hip replacements, one on the right and one on the left; one last summer and one fourteen years ago. I am 56. For the first replacement, I had almost no pain and was on a bike in three weeks. Quite remarkable. For the second replacement, I had tremendous pain for a month and a half. I took a lot of pain killers, suffered from constant migraines (reaction to the anesthesia I think) and my legs were of uneven lengths. I was very depressed and discouraged. I guess I am writing to give people hope and also to know that two experiences can be so different. I am fine now, five months later. I have no arthritic pain and the only thing that hurts still is the scar area if I ride in a car for too long. My walk looks normal though there is still a tiny difference which I am hoping will correct. My message is to have faith that you will heal and work at it. I did lots of physical therapy which I think is really important. Good luck to you all. Best wishes for speedy recoveries.

Comment from: Dialysis RN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had bilateral hip replacements on August 12, 2015. I am on week 4 of recovery. I had hip dysplasia and had Ganz osteotomies 8 years ago to put off replacements due to my younger age of 40. The post-surgical pain was worse than I had expected and my hemoglobin dropped to 7 from 13, requiring 3 blood transfusions. I am still having pain in my left hip and femur, making physical therapy difficult. I am a nurse of 20 years and am on my feet a good part of my 12 hour shifts so I'm feeling discouraged and hoping I won't need another surgery to fix this pain. I have another follow- up appointment in 2 weeks and will have an x-ray. I'm walking with a cane and get along pretty well. Leg lengths feel equal. I am just surprised that I am not pain free as I have read so many posts of patients being back to work after only 6 weeks. I'm trying to be strong and continue with my physiotherapy but my optimism is being challenged.

Comment from: Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a total hip replacement (anterior method) 2 months ago. Orthopedist said that I can drive now and I am doing so around neighborhood. I still have lots of pain in groin area and on side (ball and socket area). Also, the operated leg is longer than the other, and I am limping. Orthopedist said my legs will even out in time as things adjust.

Comment from: River, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had anterior hip replacement 8 months ago. The surgeon made my leg 1.5 inches too long and broke my femur and put cables on. I have had severe nerve pain and I cannot get my tendons and muscles to stretch. I had a second hip replacement on other leg a couple months ago with a new surgeon to even out leg lengths. That surgery was easy. Now the screw or something from the cable is poking into the rear of my leg so need an exploratory surgery. Second surgeon did a really good job.

Comment from: joyce, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had a total hip replacement in 2002. I went from having terrible pain to pain free. I was on crutches for about a month, followed my doctor's instructions, always keeping the new hip below the other leg. The best decision I ever made. I also have had two knee replacements and a total shoulder replacement. I have a very supportive husband and required very little pain medication. I also have a great attitude and follow my doctor's instructions. Best move I ever made and I do not have any pain anymore.

Comment from: hip, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I am 43, and had bilateral hip replacement. I suffer from AVN (avascular necrosis), and I had a left hip replaced after 2 years. After this I had a hip revision on the left, which then popped 4 times in May 2014. Then screws were put in, and it popped right though. This was June, and I had another revision on the same hip in June 2014. This didn't work, then a claw was put around the replacement. This is still 2014, during this time I have caught septicemia twice in hospital, and had a clot. I had another operation on the same hip in April 2015, to remove the replacement and flush out what doctors call fluid. I then had the fevers, and my body hit out in a rash, and doesn't stop itching. I have been back to the surgeon, and he tells me there is nothing wrong, yet I walk with a crab like motion and my back started hurting. So I went to a back doctor who sent me to a nuclear physician for a bone x-ray. On the bone x-ray they picked up there was some sort of activity in the bone around the prosthetic, but my surgeon still says there's nothing wrong with the hip replacement mechanically. The surgeon tells me to go out and work as normal, but I can't perform my work as I am living on tablets and in constant pain. The leg is sore and feels warm to the touch.

Comment from: Bessan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had my total hip replacement (THR) on July 10. I am 2 weeks post-operation. Many years ago a physiotherapist diagnosed that my right leg was shorter. Gradually my hip got stiffer and pain started last year and it was worse at night. I had a lot of physiotherapy treatment which helped with the stiffness. Eventually the pain took over, not helped by painkillers. I have recovered very well and today for the first day I have not taken painkillers. I walk with two crutches. I still rest, lying down a couple of times/day to make the swelling go down. I am diligently doing my exercises, the lying down ones I found very difficult and painful but the standing up ones I do hourly. It just takes a couple of minutes. I have been back for my 10 day post-operation physiotherapy treatment and was told I have very good gluteus muscle strength and I have been discharged. The frequent exercises have paid off. I emphasize the need to follow the dos and the don'ts for 6 weeks after your operation to allow the cut soft tissues to heal. When I lie on my back, I have one pillow on the outside of my foot and one pillow between my legs to avoid that the foot turns in my sleep. Some alternative tips are, I live in an old house, the stairs are very steep and the step is very short. Scary, so I walk backwards down. I wear an apron with a pocket and I have a thermos travel mug with a lid, in the pouch. I could have walked much more but my thumbs got very sore from the crutches so I got some padded Oarsome Potential rowers grips. On my bedside table I have a beaker with a spout so I don't half sit up and twist to drink. I also have a Vicks nasal inhaler because sleeping on my back makes me breathe through my mouth and very dry in the mouth.

Comment from: Madison, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had an anterior approach total hip replacement 13 days ago. They had me up and taking a few steps hours after the surgery. I am using a cane now if I go outside and to help get me in and out of my car but I feel great! My muscles are a little sore but Tylenol helps. I wish I had known this was what was needed and I would have done it months ago!

Comment from: cocoa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a total hip replacement (THR) in February. It was determined that I had soft bones so I was told not to put weight on the right side for 1 month, and at the end of that time to put 1/3 of your body weight the next week, and then 2/3, etc. I walked with a walker for 3 months. Then I went to a cane because the doctor insisted I did. I am still on a cane and this is 5 months and all the other cases I have read, no one uses a cane very long. My thigh (just above my right knee) hurts when I walk very far and sometimes even below my knee will hurt. I have also had two total knee replacements and they are no problem. I am totally frustrated that I can't get rid of the cane. I am afraid I am putting too much stress on my other hip.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had a hip replacement 9 months ago. At first all was ok and recovery seemed to be going well. However my hip joint now seems to be getting stiffer each day and the range of motion more restricted. I don't get pain when standing or even walking, but if I try to bring my leg up to my chest or lean it to the right or left when lying down, the pain is incredible. I am able to cross my legs when sitting, although I know I probably shouldn't; but trying to bend or move my leg inwards or outwards is getting harder every day. All the pain is centered on my hip area and I don't seem to have any pain in my leg.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had my right hip replaced 7 weeks ago. Recovery has been very smooth and not too painful; pain-killers stopped after 2 weeks. I can walk almost without limping if I concentrate, but there is still a bit of swelling and my leg gets tied in the evening. I have been swimming and use an exercise bike, but only short sessions for now. My general physician was still telling me to hold on and not have it yet, but it was bone on bone and I'm glad I didn't wait longer.

Comment from: ruthj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a 50 year old female and almost five weeks ago I had a double hip replacement. I can get around the house with no crutches but use them outside. I walk about 500 yards a couple of times a day and feel stronger each day. No hip pain just some stiffness and a bit of pulling on the tendons but I guess that is them healing. It was pretty hard going the first two weeks or so but by now I am really happy that I had the two done at once. I have also been up our stairs a few times now. Now looking forward to doing a bit of hill walking over the summer and walking my dogs! Also I have not had a pain killer for three weeks, glad not to be taking them.

Comment from: HMR, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had had two total hip replacements done over the past seven months; the right one on August 30th, 2014, and the left one done on January 30th, 2015. I faithfully did my physiotherapy exercises at home; and have walked one mile a day for the past two weeks! It is great to be rid of the pain; especially getting out of bed or the car! My suggestion to patients facing total hip replacements is to do some research to find the best surgeon that you can! I cannot say enough good things about the young surgeon that performed both my surgeries! My two sisters each had one hip replaced over the past five years by different surgeons, and they both limp! One, with one leg one inch longer than the other! I am an active golfer and look forward to walking the courses this spring, after the pain I endured in the past several seasons!

Comment from: Rick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I am 43 and had a total hip replacement (anterior approach) on March 3, 2015. One and a half hours after surgery I was walking around the hospital wing and walked up 10 steps and down 10 steps with walker. I went home next day at 12 noon. Two days later I gave up walker for cane and by that Sunday (5 days post-surgery) I was off cane. Three weeks after surgery I bowled. Every day you will feel better! I never even had physiotherapy, and did it myself at home. The worst part is first few nights sleeping. I was off pain medications 2 days post-surgery and just taking naproxen. I am now 5 weeks post and am so far ahead of schedule it is crazy! Everyone should find a doctor that does anterior approach. No muscle or tendon cutting and much faster recovery!

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a total hip replacement almost a month ago due to bad genes. Mom and 3 of her 4 siblings have had this surgery as well. I left the hospital the day after a lateral incision hip replacement. The first few days at home were pretty miserable due to pain and the side effects of oxycodone. After a week of using the walker I switched to the cane, and after another 10 days I was walking solo. My hip is still a bit stiff and sore, but the pain from the bone on bone grinding is gone and I'm regaining strength and flexibility. I'm 59 years old, weigh about 125 at 5'4'. I credit my relatively quick recovery to doing the pre-operation leg/hip exercises for the 4 months while I was waiting for surgery. Benadryl is very helpful for incision itching and insomnia with less side effects than the oxycodone. Anyone who is considering this surgery, read all you can, ask questions, and then make your decision. I feel like I've gotten a new lease on life!

Comment from: Princess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had a left total hip replacement 3 months ago and I thought I was doing well. The incisions look great, the surgery was good, the rehabilitation went very well, but when I started outpatient therapy I started having some problems. Every time I put weight on the operated leg I fell pain and pressure, it starts on the hip and goes down to below my knee. I am going to see the doctor next week to see what's going on, scared.

Comment from: Spinny73, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

In September 2008 I had a partial right hip replacement after years of ignoring the pain! The recovery went very well, I used 2 crutches for a week, then one, and cane at 3 weeks. I was driving at 3 weeks as well! I am a construction worker and was back at work in 6 weeks. After 5 1/2 years I started having saddle pain after sitting then walking for about 5 steps, then the pain would go away. After about 4 months of this (with the pain getting worse) I went to see my surgeon, he did an x-ray and confirmed that the post implant became loose and had to be operated on immediately with a total hip replacement! They did a blood test to see if the metal on metal implant was in my bloodstream. The test came back negative, I had the total hip replacement in April 2013. The recovery was about the same, and I was back to work in 6 weeks. In October 2013 I started to feel pain again, saw the surgeon again in December and he confirmed the cup came loose this time! It's been 3 1/2 weeks since my 3rd surgery and the recovery seems to be the same; I am starting to walk without aid, driving and starting outpatient physiotherapy in 2 days. They used a bone graph and 2 angled screws to secure the cup this time. I'm going to take it easier this time and hoping to have a little more longevity to this new hip (fingers crossed).

Comment from: Isabellejh, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had my two hips replaced in June and September of 2010. All went well for three years, and I was really happy my life was back to normal. One year ago, I started to feel great pain in my right hip and down my leg. After blood tests and a special MRI, we learned that metal joint in my right artificial hip was corroding, and the metal particles were causing the problem. I underwent hip revision in September 2014, and recovered very quickly. I had been instructed again in all precautions that were needed, as I had been told that the smaller ceramic ball they used put me at greater risk for hip dislocation. Regardless of the precautions, my hip dislocated on 10/30. It was reduced, and I had to wear a brace for six weeks. After that, I was even more careful, as I didn't want to go through that horrible pain again. Still, on 2/25, it dislocated again, just bending over the garbage can. Now I am back in the brace for another 4 weeks, not a very pleasant experience either, and I am constantly afraid it will happen again. I was informed that there was a surgical solution, and that with the use of a constrained liner, the risks could be reduced. I am concerned however as this means more surgery, and before making a decision, I would like to know if anyone on this forum has been fitted with a constrained liner, and what their experience is.

Comment from: terra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had a total hip replacement end November 2013 and have had excruciating pain ever since. In fact the pain I have now is worse than before the hip replacement. I believe I have had a nerve damaged and I am not the first person to have this happen to them, and the pain is unbearable despite strong pain killers. I just don't know what to do next. My advice would be, don't have the operation.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My left hip was replaced in January 2011, posterior approach. I had 3 nights stay in hospital and left hospital on crutches, no weight bearing. I had substantial post-surgery pain, 5 to 6 level for 4 weeks. I had to ensure no weight bearing or minimal for 3 weeks, and use crutches or walker only. All the post-surgery precautions were used, some for 3 months. Hematoma from surgery traveled down the entire leg and turned top of foot and toes black. Cane was used and walker was still used after 3 weeks. My leg is not strong enough to maintain balance. Strengthening exercises were done for 3 months until leg was strong enough to maintain balance and I could stop using walking assistance. After cane was not used, I still had a prominent limp for 6 plus months. I started riding bicycle 3 months after surgery and in 6 months I am back to about 80 percent normal. It took from month 6 out to full year to regain full flexibility of the leg 100 percent. My right hip was replaced in November 2014, anterior approach. Total time spent in hospital was 28 hours. I dressed, standing full weight bearing, 4 hours after surgery. Post-surgery pain was 2 to 3 level 2 weeks out. I used walker to help with stability until leaving hospital, full weight bearing. I left hospital with a cane and followed no typical hip replacement precautions and had no hematoma. In 6 days, no walking assistance, minimal limp, very little reduced leg strength or flexibility. In 2 weeks I am riding bicycle. I look to be 80 percent 1 month out and 100 percent by 3 months. There is a big difference in the 2 approaches. Don't let a doctor tell you there isn't. Seek out a surgeon skilled in minimally invasive anterior approach. You will be happy.

Comment from: Linda D., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a total hip replacement surgery in October 2012. Surgery and recovery went very well. However within a few months I experienced a deep depression, could not eat, couldn't even look at food on TV, I would have to run to the bathroom. My regular physician could not determine what was wrong. Nausea pills did not work. Antidepressant he gave me resulted in severe stomach pain. It took a good year to start to feel better. I have fibromyalgia, restless legs, and Raynaud's disease too. I was taking gabapentin for the fibromyalgia but it made me extremely tired and unable to stay awake so I stopped taking it. I wonder if any of these could result in my depression and inability to eat. I feel that surgery, medications, etc., can disrupt your internal chemical balance and possibly that is why I experienced this horrible depression and inability to eat.

Comment from: Billy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I had total left hip replacement on 5/28/14. I am a 54 year old male. I spent two and a half days in hospital, then 10 days in rehabilitation facility and then 3 weeks of 3 times a week in outpatient rehab. I am a very active person, play a lot of tennis. At 9 weeks I got back on the tennis court, no real running, just hitting. I'm feeling good. Proper rehab is a must. The exercises must be done. I am seeing my surgeon next week for my 12 week evaluation. I hope to get the okay for full doubles tennis. I realize playing tennis carries some risk, but what the heck, life is for living. One more thing. I am not overweight, 5ft 11 and 183 pounds but I decided to lose 5 to 10 pounds to lessen any pressure on the new hip. Make sure you are in the best condition you can be before the operation. It will help your recovery.

Comment from: DawnDedee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had both hip joints replaced four months apart. The first one was perfect but the second one is a nightmare. There is still no pain in my first hip but the second one has excruciating constant pain that has crippled my daily functions. My life now revolves around this pain. I received an injection into my groin but it made it worse all in all. This is not pain I can push through. I am stuck. And the first hip has no pain at all and is the strong leg for the weak one.

Comment from: helloworld, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

November 2013 I had left total hip replacement. During surgery my greater trochanter was fractured. I had more pain than before surgery. My surgeon said tests showed no problem, and some of my pain was below the knee, and referred me to back doctor. He could not find a problem but had block which did nothing. After almost 6 months and now in a wheelchair I went to a new surgeon who ran tests and bone scan showed nothing wrong. But I could not live this way so went in for 2nd surgery. Doctor told me that it had split down 2 inches and the socket was loose even though the x-rays did not show any of this. I am now healing with this 2nd surgery and hope all goes well.

Comment from: rodoyoung, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 11

Total right hip replacement, dislocated after 3-1/2 weeks, another surgery because replacement did not fit, extended neck. Three weeks later fracture in head of femur was found. After 8 weeks of brace and months of physical therapy, now 9 months later, I still have pain on walking. Other hip needs replacement, is very painful, but perhaps I need to find another surgeon.

Comment from: PK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I broke my left hip in a fall when in 2006 and had a hip rebuild then to fix it. I recovered nicely in about a year, regaining full function in 3 years. At about 6-8 years post-operation I noticed more fatigue, but continued an active lifestyle, being a water aerobics instructor. Then all of a sudden in Fall 2014, I could not walk and was in intensive pain which got worse and worse till I was in a wheelchair a lot and finally had a total hip replacement in April, 2014. They also removed the previous repair of plates and screws and burred down the bone a lot to find a good place to put the prosthesis. Initially, I felt great and I could see I had a great new joint. My doctor kept me on a walker for 6 plus weeks because of balance issues and not wanting me to fall and damage very osteoporotic bones. I am now 10 weeks post operation and noticed as I started full weight bearing, that I developed a thigh pain and swelling, just below the surgical site, that gets worse with walking and weight bearing activities or physiotherapy. Water aerobics seems okay, but I am exhausted a lot when I try to exercise/build up strength. I am now 60 years old, generally very active, and having trouble with the building back strength and stamina part of my recovery. It seems much slower than it should be to me. I am a bit discouraged with this set back in my recovery.

Comment from: Sean K, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

After about a year of constant pain in my right hip I broke down and went to see a specialist and was diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both hips. So three years ago I had my first total hip replacement (THR). I will preface this by saying that I was a former college athlete and although 50 lb. overweight I was still pretty active working out 3 days a week. I went in on a Thursday, came home on Saturday. I had my first in home therapy on the first Monday. By Friday I was riding a stationary bike and the following day I walked on the football field and never used a crutch again. I would say it took about 6 weeks for the surgery pain to go away and about 6 months for range of motion. But I probably have 95% motion no pain and it was an easier recovery then a knee scope I had in 1987.

Comment from: krashen, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I had my total hip replacement (THR) last January and I am happy to return to my work again. I had THR because of femoral neck fracture. At first I hesitated to have the operation because I was young but now I am enjoying normal activity after 1 year of walking with aid. THR is one of the most successful operations, just choose the best doctor in your place and ask for the best material that lasts.

Comment from: dinky111, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had total hip replacement in November. I have had severe pain in hip/groin area when I move a certain way. The doctor took x-ray and says all looks perfect. He does not know why I am having pain. I had a shot in the area 2 weeks ago and no change. It doesn"t hurt to walk, just when I move my leg a certain way. I can"t live like this and don"t know what to do next!

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had total hip replacement (THR) of left hip in March this year. I was in hospital for 2 days without any problems. The relief of being able to move without that horrible pre-operation pain was fantastic. I was on 2 crutches for a few days, then 1, then after 2 weeks none. Sure I walked slowly and very carefully, but can get about pretty well now after 8 weeks. Well worth the procedure, although my left leg is now longer than right! My wife still has to put on my left sock though.

Comment from: Lee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a total hip replacement (THR) on the right, on 24 March (now 4 weeks). I am walking without a crutch now and diligently doing my exercises. My partner now has to remind me to take pain medications as I"m in much less pain than prior to the surgery. Five days ago I travelled from on holiday - 2 flights and a total of 10 hours flying. I made sure I got up at least once an hour on the flights. All went well and apart from needing regular rest a couple of times each day I am mostly able to participate in the holiday activities. This is all despite 2 subluxations (hip "popping" out without actually dislocating) twice on day 3 (the day I came home from hospital). I cannot emphasize enough the need to be careful and take care not to overdo it! It was a very timely lesson for me in patience.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a total hip replacement (THR) almost 5 years ago and it has been perfect. I spent 5 nights in hospital, my rehabilitation was walking with crutches and after a month using the hydrotherapy pool in town. I am about to have my second hip replaced, am so sick of the pain and unable to do the things I used to do.

Comment from: Trey C., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I"m a 38 year old male. I had a total right hip replacement 2 weeks ago. The pain started for me a year ago. I was very serious and heavy into the gym. I was going pretty heavy on legs. What I thought was a pulled groin, turned out to be the ball part of the hip socket crumbling. It got to a point where I could hardly walk. I saw a specialist for the 3rd time. X-ray showed the damage, very nasty X-ray. I had the surgery 3 weeks after. I started walking with a walker the very next day. I"m two weeks out now and am very concerned with the swelling I still have. It seems the new hip sits out further than my original one. When looking in the mirror, it just looks abnormal from my left one. I know I still have some more healing to do.

Comment from: Basketgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

On March 10, I had a total hip replacement (THR). Everything was great and I was getting around wonderful. Eleven days later my right hip dislocated, it was the most horrible pain. I went to the hospital and the doctor put it back in place, I spent the night and went home. The very next evening, the same hip dislocated again and I had then to repeat the same thing. My doctor then decided to take me back in and revise the original THR, it"s been three weeks today and I am at the very beginning again. Very discouraged at this point, the pain from the surgeries and the dislocations have been trying! The burning pain in my thigh is so intense! Hopefully, this will I improve!

Comment from: BrettJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I"m a 34 year old male. I had a total left hip replacement a week ago after almost five years of unbearable pain. Only now do I realize how much pain I was in. I was discharged after two days and the difference is indescribable. The pain is gone! Even the pain around the operative site is minimal. I had a cementless implant via the AMIS method and am thankful to be able to say that I was in the hands of a truly skilled surgeon. If you are considering getting a THR my advice is to do your homework and choose your surgeon carefully!

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

After 3 years of pain that I thought was from my (all messed up) back, I had a total right hip surgery in the beginning of 2014. It took a few weeks for the new hip to settle down, but has felt and worked flawlessly since. My right leg is (as near as my therapist can tell) about 3/8" longer than my original (left). I level out with a small pad in my left shoe. My old hip has caused most of my pain since the surgery, but checks out fine when x-rayed. I was told that a lot of this is because I put the surgery off too long. This happened to someone else I know of whose original hip finally straightened out and now is fine. I used a walker about 10 days, then a cane for a few weeks after that. I tried to hit golf balls 7 weeks after surgery. The new hip is great, old hip made it way too painful to play. I followed my chiropractor's advice and worked with a personal trainer for about five weeks prior to surgery. I wish that I hadn't waited so long.

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

It"s now been 3 years since my total hip replacement. And I feel better than ever! I am a 54 year old male, active, and the replacement was the best thing I ever did. I wanted to share some experiences, maybe help others. 1. I do lift weights. I don"t lift too heavy, but I also don"t skimp. 2. I do not run. I do walk 3 to 4 miles every other day. I get cardio from stationary bike or fast weight workout. 3. I do yoga. 4. I do high intensity interval training (HIIT) classes. On the yoga and HIIT I avoid some things (e.g. any high impact in HIIT). 5. After my surgery and recovery I made big changes to my diet and now I carry 10% body fat. Carrying around less weight is a huge benefit and I feel zero stress on my hip. 6. I do play golf; I"m still lousy, but it"s a lot more enjoyable.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 24

I had total hip replacement on January 31st 2014. The pain before surgery was unbearable. Now after almost 3 weeks I am walking without assistance except when outside due to snow and ice. At home I wobble; no pain, just pressure I think. Also it feels like the leg is longer. I'm hoping it's due to swelling. So far I don"t regret doing surgery. Two days in the hospital and relatively pain free immediately. I'm hoping to not limp permanently. Therapy is important and am following it to a tee. I should have had the surgery done a long time ago.

Comment from: countrygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am a 54 year old female who had an uncemented left THR (total hip replacement) on 1/27/2014 due to a congenital malformation of the hip socket. The hip was severely degenerative and cystic and the left leg was over 1 cm shorter than the right by the time I had surgery. The pain was beyond unbearable. I am very physically active and slender, employed in the dairy research/management field. I was in the hospital for 3 days post-surgery because of anemia due to blood loss and nausea due to pain meds. It is now 17 days post-surgery and I am using one crutch to ambulate. The pain is minimal at this point and I have been advised to continue only partial weight bearing on the left leg for another 2-3 weeks. I am taking one 81 mg aspirin/day as well as iron and pain medications as needed. I have exercises to do at home and there are currently no plans for structured physical therapy in the future. The leg muscles are still weak/stiff/sore and need lots of strengthening but I feel good and am very optimistic about a full recovery.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had a great recovery from total hip replacement. My replacement was due to an injury and the decision for a full hip replacement was due to my rheumatoid arthritis. Right now it is 6 weeks since my surgery. I am transitioning from a walker to a cane. I have had little pain from my hip. What little pain I have had is from my rheumatoid arthritis. I am doing everything independently. After my hospital stay I was in a rehabilitation facility for 2 and a half weeks. I think it was key because I was able to have therapy every day. It has been amazing to me that I am up and around and taking care of myself so soon.

Comment from: Keith, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 55 and had a total hip replacement in January of 2014, of the left hip. It has been four weeks since and I feel great (using cane for safety because of snow and ice). I can"t wait to go fly fishing again in a few more weeks. I followed a hip strengthening program that the doctor gave me, a month before surgery. I also went to a weight loss clinic and took off extra weight (20 pounds). I think preparing with diet and exercise has been the key to my recovery with little to no pain. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: Irvin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

In May 2013, I went in for total replacement of my right hip. Prior to going into surgery, I was told that the hip was very infected, and that an "antibiotic spacer" (basically a temporary hip) would be installed, and then in a few months surgery again and the permanent hip installed. No problems with the first surgery. I was home after two days, and started therapy. However, recovery was limited due to the fact that I could not put any weight on the leg/hip. Second surgery was in August 2013. I was home after one day! I began therapy at home within a couple of days, twice a week for a month. Now it is six months after surgery. I am still walking with crutches and/or walker. I have pain in my leg, especially around the knee area. Incision and hip seem to be good, no pain there. Doctors say it may take another two months for me due to two surgeries.

Comment from: DAVE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I had my left hip replaced 13 months ago and all I can do is limp. My doctor has told me I'm just one of the unlucky ones. I have constant pain and can't really sit long or stand long, not really sure what I am to do. I'm 52, was very athletic, strong and not overweight. To add to my misery my right hip is painful and also needs to be replaced soon just great! Wheelchair is the reality of what I'm looking at within the next year. All I can say is don't get this surgery unless you will die without it! I'm done but maybe I can save one person.

Comment from: Michael, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I just had anterior approach double hip replacements and during surgery my right femur cracked. So the next day I had to go and have another operation to have titanium cables tied around my femur. I'm 3 weeks on from two operations and I'm walking with a frame; I can only bear weight of 20 kg on my right leg. I can't seem to find anybody anywhere that this has happened too. My surgeon tells me I'm the only one out of 800 anterior hip replacements that he has done that this has happened to.

Comment from: Bud, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I had THR (total hip replacement) on the right side on March, 19th, 2013 and it was the best decision I ever made. Sure, there was pain after the surgery but after about 6 to 8 months all has healed up well and I'm very happy with the results. In fact on Halloween day of this year I actually had a car back into me in a parking lot and I flew about eight feet in the air, fortunately, I was able to land face down and using my hands I was able to protect the right hip. I visited my Orthopedist and all is fine. My right wrist still is sore, but the right hip is just fine. I would advise anyone in severe hip pain to have the surgery.

Comment from: Dave377, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I had a generalized area of pain in my right groin which I was attributing to a former hernia surgery. I went through steroid injections for 3 months but they did nothing but mask the pain temporarily. Eventually I had THR (total hip replacement) and the results were fantastic. I had a great surgeon and my rehabilitation wasn't bad. I returned to work after 3 months resuming my duties as a letter carrier. The soreness around the incision eventually subsided and I now walk and feel like I did when I felt perfectly normal. I suggest THR to anyone who has severe pain in their groin, hip or lower back areas.

Comment from: B2young, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 47. I had my left THR (total hip replacement) done 4 years ago. I can't even explain how good it felt to be without pain; it was almost immediate that I had no pain in that hip. Within the first 3 weeks I was out dancing! I was told at that time my left was getting bad and would have to be done at some point. Well, then I moved to another state. Same insurance but had to go to a different doctor. I just had my left done 5 weeks ago and it's awful. The doctor will not acknowledge his mistakes. My pain is as bad, if not worse, as before. My left leg is now longer and now both hips hurt. I thought I had someone who I could trust but he is now totally blowing off the leg length, the effect on the other hip, and the pain. I feel worse than I did before surgery. He said I need to wait 3 months before judging, which I don't agree with. I guess my point is, it is worth the initial pain but need to really research the doctor. I had a gut feeling and didn't follow it. I plan to send all x-rays and reports back to my first doctor and hopefully won't have to go through a "total" again; I just want to get it fixed.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I had a total left hip replacement on 8th August 2013. I left hospital for home after 5 days, needing a second x-ray, because they queried a fracture, which proved not to be. However, having never been free of pain, and now the last 3 weeks having left knee pain/stiffness I wonder if this can be so. At first hospital post operation appointment I was told not to drive for 4 months, not that I have felt like it anyway. I have just bought a little car with a soft clutch at least to be independent again and not rely on family. I have great difficulty in walking for more than 100yards. I wish I had never had the operation. I will see my surgeon again on 7th January 2014. I hate being a misery guts, as always been a happy and busy person with a long nursing career, not so good being on the receiving end now.

Comment from: Robie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I had a total hip arthroplasty on May 24th 2013. Recovery was quick and positive. In July I started physical therapy two days a week to strengthen the hip muscles. I started to feel pain in the mid femoral and lateral bones. After MRI, I had about 4cc of blood removed from a bursa near distal area of the surgical incision. The muscle pain continued. X-ray shows no sign of stress fractures or prosthesis movement. I was put on crutches for three weeks and cane for one week but pain still persists.

Comment from: MMF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had THR on the left hip 3 weeks ago yesterday. As of right now I am very glad I did it. I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights, I had a lot of nausea. Then on the 4th day back home I took a big step backwards; I could not get control of the nausea or constipation, so I ended up in the emergency room for a full day of fluids and anti-nausea medications. I was not a happy camper. Now things are finally looking up. I'm going to physiotherapy and walking without pain. Hopefully in 3 more weeks I'll be back to chasing grandkids!

Comment from: DoggyMom, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 24

Quite a journey! After living in denial about my hip pain, I finally succumbed to a THR. Not going to lie-the first 3 days were rough-I couldn't tolerate the pain pills so I just toughed it out. Then, magically, the pain began to improve pretty quickly. 8 days later I went shopping and was able to walk with my cane. The original hip pain is totally gone-what's left is just the residual healing pain from the surgery. Can't wait to see how I'm doing in 3 months!

Comment from: Jewels, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 20

My hip replacement in May 2013 went surprisingly well. I was not in great shape, having retired for almost 10 years from a sedentary office job. Three nasty falls in the previous six months contributed to the pain and weakness. My surgery was on a Monday, with general anesthesia, even though I have COPD. The incision was sealed with glue, not staples. There was never any drainage and hardly any pain at the incision site. About 48 hours later, they moved me from the recovery room with an IV, cath, etc., to the rehab department of the hospital. Rehab therapists worked me up to three hours a day, then in two weeks sent me home with a walker and several meds. Physical therapists and activities of daily living therapists came to my home for two more weeks. My back is fully upright after several years bent over! This was my first major surgery or stay in hospital, so I sure am grateful all those blue-uniformed helpers who are so skilled at their jobs.

Comment from: meldahl56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I would like to know how fast other people are recovering after having hip replacement through buttocks. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and I'm still in a lot of pain. I am using a cane instead of the walker and would like to know if anyone else is. Maybe I'm in too big a hurry.

Comment from: steven, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I had anterior hip replacement done, and it is the only way to go. Just do one at a time because it is easier to get around. I was driving one week later, with automatic and little pain, I can't wait do get the other one done. My advice is get in the best shape you can before the surgery.

Comment from: francine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I had anterior approach total hip replacement surgery on Friday 3 days ago and I am constipated. I don't have any pain or anything but I would like to know what others have experienced after hip replacement surgery and how to correct the constipation. I have taken Colace from the Wednesday before and still currently taking Colace.

Comment from: paul, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I had total hip replacement on 9/10/2014. I never recovered. I have severe pain in the hip area, think twice before you decide.

Comment from: mimi9076, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had hip replacement surgery in June 2015 and was doing great. Then suddenly I am needing a cane to walk as it feels like my hip won't support me. This usually happens after sitting even for a few minutes. After walking a few steps it loosens up and then I am ok.

Comment from: Diffie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an anterior total hip replacement 4 weeks ago and doing great. I am walking without a cane. However, I just started noticing my good hip started hurting. My physiotherapist told me this is normal but it feels like a setback.

Comment from: Deb66, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had total hip replacement on October 20. I was fine for 3 weeks then started to get pain in my groin just like before surgery. The doctor said it is tendinitis.

Comment from: ria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had total hip replacement last November. Everything was great, all checkups and x-rays, until last week when I started having a lot of pain in the hip area; raw burning pain. I thought I had pulled a muscle or something in my back as it was there as well for a while.

Comment from: hoppity, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I am just back from seeing a specialist, 18 months after total hip replacement. He can't find anything wrong, there is a piece of bone splintered away from the femur and still attached to muscle showing on x-ray, but he said it couldn't be repaired.

Comment from: David M, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I had left total hip replacement (THR) on 26/1. I just walked 400 meters full stride pattern 4/1/15 (on sticks). My background, ex-pro-footballer. My advice, get your pre-operation exercises done and follow what your physiotherapist tells you to do post operation. Do all this and you will be pain free, I'm quiet amazed. I am due right THR later in the year, I can`t wait.

Comment from: kbrenna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am 47 years old. I had my first hip replaced in January 2014. I spent one night in hospital and went back to work in 2 weeks. In December I am going to have my right hip replaced. I have hip dysplasia. My experience was a great one! Pain free!

Comment from: MimiZ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had my left hip replacement three years ago. I am now looking forward to my right hip replacement in 10 days. I know what to expect and can't wait to get rid of that gnawing pain once again. It took a while to diagnose the first hip. The pain was all in my back, so went through treatments, injections, acupuncture, etc. for that. Finally I had a stand up x-ray on my hip and it was discovered. This time it was a slow process of not being able to stretch my leg out, then the gnawing pain began full force. The x-ray confirmed the bone-on-bone arthritis. Just hereditary hip problems.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter