Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Surgery to Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Comment from: moira, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had surgery on my left knee 10 days ago. I had a para-meniscal cyst that had burst, so my surgeon cleaned that up and trimmed my damaged meniscus and stitched up a tendon that had a hole in it. It is the 3rd surgery I have had on my knee, the other 2 were for removal of cysts but they kept coming back. I have a full time physical job with horses and my surgeon said I will be fine for work 3 weeks from my operation. At the moment I am having trouble straightening my leg and can hardly walk. I don't know if this is normal for the surgery I have had or if I should be worried that this operation hasn't worked either.

Comment from: mastcosi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

After 2 years of trying therapy and exercise, I decided to have the surgery to repair my torn meniscus. It was the best thing I ever did. The recovery was longer than I thought it would be and during the recovery I tore a calf muscle, but with physical therapy and a determination not to give up, 4 months later I am pain free and getting on with my life. I turned the corner when I started working the smaller muscle groups around my knee. I still do at home stretches and exercises; I don't want a repeat.

Comment from: Sandra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had surgery for a torn meniscus. I limped for a month before I had the surgery because it was hard to get in to see a surgeon, they are so busy. My surgery was on 5-20-15, my doctor didn't sent me to therapy until 2 weeks later when I requested it. I have gone back to therapy twice and I am still having pain and can't walk right. My last doctor appointment was in 11/15 and my doctor told me my thigh muscle is weak I have to exercise it. I am trying but it is difficult because my limp is making my calf hurt as I try to walk straight. I am still on anti-inflammatory medication and feeling very discouraged.

Comment from: Bendix20, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I had surgery to repair my torn meniscus last Friday 2-12-16. I was in a bit of pain that day but was lightly walking on it and moving the knee by the evening. The next day it was very sore and stiff. The Vicodin they gave me did nothing to help. I had asked for the weaker medicine but wish I had not. Sunday it felt a bit better and I started taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours and that helped immensely. I am still sore but I have been moving around and walking now for nearly a week. It gets a little better each day. Not sure how long the pain should last.

Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

My left knee was snapping and swelling up when used moderately. The surgeon interpreted the MRI as a moderate tear. He removed 40 percent of medial and 10 to 15 percent of lateral meniscus and cleaned up the bearing surface of patella. The first week post-surgery I was concerned there was little progress in motion and pain. Nine or ten days post-surgery there was a marked improvement. Now 5 weeks and 3 days post-surgery, swelling is almost gone and I did a little 15 yard jog, 5 times, no bad pain. It still hurts, 3 on 10, intermittently along the inside of my patella. Time will tell if all the pain goes away.

Comment from: rosebudd, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had meniscus repair surgery 5 years ago, and though it healed nicely and with much physical therapy, from time to time it still hurts.

Comment from: Dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I have had meniscus surgery on both knees. It has been 6 months since, I still can't walk far, and am constantly in pain. I have seen endocrinologist, nerve specialist and cancer doctor as I have fluid that can be seen on MRI, yet no one has the answer and the physiotherapist says no idea.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?