Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: (Patient) Published: April 30

I am currently 6 days into my recovery now, I got surgery for torn meniscus on the 21st and I now have almost full extension of my leg and can bear a good amount of weight on crutches. I waited 4.5 months to get the surgery done! Unfortunately, so my ligaments are very sore and weak as my knee was locked in position for so long. But I suggest taking the surgery route to anyone who has a tear, the pain is something you can deal with, especially with the medication they prescribe you. I stopped taking mine after the 48 hours and I can handle the pain fairly well. I expect my process to be a little bit longer than average only because of my waiting situation but already my leg is better than it was before surgery.

Comment from: p. mueller, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I felt pain, after hard riding on road bikes, in left medial meniscus. I received cortisone shot and prescription for Voltaren ointment and knee brace. I'm fine now and can do metric centuries.

Comment from: eloquent energy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

The fatal day arrived when I was a shopping customer at a large grocery chain. A thawing frozen food pallet on the sales floor sent me to the floor. The knee took the brunt of the fall. Trying to get off the knee I fractured the elbow. The feeling that I skinned my knee continued. The knee x-ray showed arthritis. I was treated for arthritis which was exacerbated by the slip and fall accident. The pain continued, and I was offered cortisone injections. I refused. I accepted physical therapy. The pain persisted. Over a year passed, and I saw a new doctor. He ordered an MRI. Diagnosis was torn lateral and medial meniscus. The surgeon can't repair it, but can clean it up. I refused, it's too risky. I went back to physical therapy. There is no hope for this permanent damage. Now, I am looking into stem cell regeneration. Good luck to me!

Comment from: MsPrada, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I opted not to go the surgery route for torn meniscus as I had heard mixed reviews. A doctor friend of mine said to try wearing a knee brace daily, applying ice to the knee nightly and being cautious with activity. I took Ibuprofen for inflammation as well and within 8 weeks, my knee was almost back to normal. Be patient, surgery is not always the answer!

Comment from: Dona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I have had surgery in May, and again this year for torn meniscus. I am now hurting in the same area for several weeks. I am taking physical therapy two time a week. It seem nothing is helping to manage the pain. At times I am afraid there may be no treatment and I will never be free of the pain. I am supposed to see the doctor who repaired it the first time in May. He is a wonderful doctor and it is my hope that he can do something that releases the pain and the pain will be gone presently.

Comment from: AzNana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was climbing some bleachers and stepped down on my left foot and experienced extreme pain. I was away from my doctor but when I got back into town, she diagnosed a medial tear on the meniscus. I had a cortisone shot which helped for 3 weeks. Since then, I have had another shot which didn't even last 48 hours. She then sent me to physical therapy which I have only had 2 sessions. Also, let me add, I am not in the best physical shape, I am considered obese and I know weight loss is imperative. I have lost 20 lb. since mid-April. My pain is horrible and I have been living on Motrin for weeks. My doctor admitted that I was not a good candidate for surgery as I was too old plus if she removed the meniscus, it could bring on arthritis quicker.

Comment from: Hoopitup, Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 72 years old and very active playing basketball, golf, and swimming. It is over 8 weeks since the doctor scoped my knee for a meniscus tear, plus arthritis. It was bad since day one after surgery. Pain, swelling, and a stiff knee that I cannot straighten. I had a cortisone shot two weeks ago. It felt good for a couple days after the shot so I tested it by hitting golf balls and doing some light lifting/swimming. Big mistake, it is worse now than ever. I am back on crutches, more swelling, and I have a sharp pain on the medial side of my knee when I place any pressure on it. I am thinking I made a big mistake in having it scoped. My wife says I am definitely worse than I ever was. I should have considered other options before I agreed to the scope procedure. Be forewarned if you are considering arthroscopy for a torn meniscus. It is of questionable value and after effects can be disastrous.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

On the 28th August 2013, I underwent surgery for a bucket tear arthroscopy. That was 13 weeks ago! I have continued to experience severe swelling and pain. I have had intense physiotherapy with little or no improvement. It has now been discovered that there is a further tear, the surgeon saying that in trying to save some meniscus and hoping to delay the early onset of arthritis, he overlooked the extra tear; back to surgery for me!

Take the Pain Quiz
Comment from: Susan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I tore mine when I fell and did the "splits" while skiing. The initial pain and swelling improved gradually after a few weeks. But I continued to have problems, so my doctor prescribed physical therapy, which I did for about a month to strengthen my hamstrings and quadriceps. I was surprised at the heavy work they had me do, but it did help. The only thing I can't do now is run too hard or long distances. I can get on the treadmill, but I have to be careful not to overdo it. I know I really should keep doing my PT exercises at home, too. At my age, I can no longer take my body for granted and have to work to maintain it so I can continue to work and play!

Comment from: Wen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was installing a tile floor for a friend around Thanksgiving when I kneeled on the corner of a piece of marble tile. I felt a great deal of pain in that one spot, at the base of my knee cap, for weeks. I figured it was a bruised bone and would take time to heal, but after two months it still became swollen every day. I went to my family doctor at the end of January, who said "it feels crunchy, so I think its age-related issues" and sent me to a PT. I explained that most of my body parts have popped and cracked all of my life. All of my major joints have a "crunchy" feel when palpated during motion. She ignored my opinions. The PT said that I should have had an X-ray and/or MRI, but they would do what they could for four weeks. I stopped going to the gym, stopped walking the dogs for more than once around the park, and avoided stairs – but it was still swollen every day. I finally saw a joint specialist. who sent me to get an MRI. It showed a meniscus tear on the inner edge and a cyst. A cortisone shot fixed it for a few days, but the swelling started up soon after, despite the daily icing and OTC meds. I will be having the scoping done at the end of May. I'm not looking forward to it. I was told I could walk the next day and return to regular activities within one week.

Comment from: Duane, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I had orthoscopic surgery and it went well. I did the physical therapy, as prescribed, and was able to gain strength and flexibility back in my leg. For exercise, I use an elliptical machine and I cycle. However, I think all the exercise has sped up the process for wearing down the bone in my knee. The pain has started to return and I find the knee is more unstable.

Take the Pain Quiz