The anterior cruciate ligament helps to prevent the top and bottom of the knee from sliding back and forth. Symptoms and signs of a torn ACL include knee pain and swelling. Treatment of a torn ACL depends upon the health of the patient and the patient's expectations and willingness to undertake extensive physical therapy. Rehabilitation after surgical repair of an ACL tear may take more than nine months. Read more: Torn ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Knee Joint
The knee joint has three parts. See a picture of Knee Joint and learn more about the health topic....
Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about common sports injuries types, treatments, and prevention. Can you heal a pulled muscle in the back, neck, lower back...
Related Disease Conditions
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
A torn meniscus (knee cartilage) may be caused by suddenly stopping, sharply twisting, or deep squatting or kneeling when lifting...
Knee injuries, especially meniscus tears, are common in contact sports. Symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus include knee pain,...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Injury
The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is one of four ligaments that stabilize the knee. MCL injuries are referred to as tears or...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- codeine (for Pain)
- ketorolac (Toradol)
- ketorolac - injection, Toradol
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Prevent ACL Tears
- Surgery for ACL Tear Often Successful Over Long Term
- ACL Tears on the Rise Among Kids, Especially Girls
- The Football Injuries Most Likely to End an NFL Career
- Repaired ACL More Likely to Tear Again in Young Women
- ACL Tear Won't Keep Most College Athletes From Returning to Play: Study
- Training Programs Protect Young Athletes From ACL Tears: Report
- New Ligament Discovered in Human Knee
- College Athletes in Low-Contact Sports Have More Overuse Injuries
- Torn ACL May Heal Without Surgery
- Knee Injury? Surgery Won't Cut Arthritis Risk
Pain and Injury Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter