Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Maas, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

After reading countless horror experiences I expected the worst after my tonsillectomy, but it actually turned out pretty good. I am a 26 year old out-of-shape male, with large tonsils causing partial sleep apnea. I had my surgery on July 26th, 2017 and I only spent 2 or 3 days in pain. I kept expecting it to get worse like other patients described, but just kept getting better and better. Day of the surgery I was slurping on icy ice creams (water based), Jell-O cups and lots and lots of water. I believe that was the key for me, just sipping tiny amounts of cold ice water every few seconds. Yes, on the first two days it would send a jolt down my body every time I swallowed, but I forced myself that way I would get better. I slept with a humidifier and stuck to 'kids menu' the first three days, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, ground beef, etc. I took my pain killer religiously every 4 hours, and even when lying in bed at night when I couldn't sleep or wake up in the middle of the night I'd be sipping water. So that should be your strategy, keep on sipping cold water and you will be ok! It definitely worked for me! I was never really in 'the worst pain of my life' just very uncomfortable the first 2 and a half days. By day 4 or 5 I could eat anything I wanted in small portions! In 6 days I was almost back to 100 percent. So I just wanted to post this good story in the sea of all these bad ones, saying that it is not always that bad! Maybe my doctor cleaned up the incision nicely with the scalpel (my doctor was a face plastic surgeon). But I could go through it again, no problem, if I had to!

Comment from: Raahhyynn, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I had my tonsillectomy on 7/26/17 and although it has not been pain free, it has not been the most painful thing ever. The first couple days I took my pain medicines (I was given liquid Hycet, hydrocodone/acetaminophen) every 4 hours, in fear that if I didn't the pain would be unbearable. After around the 4th day or so I started spreading them out to every 6 to 8 hours and I was fine. The pain changed around day 5, and my ears started to ache, but nothing unbearable. Keep in mind I am not known to have a high pain tolerance. But maybe this wasn't so bad because I have had so many tonsillitis/strep episodes. The pain overall I would say is a 6/10 for the whole experience and I am still recovering but back at work today. I read a lot of these reviews and freaked myself out a bit, but this was not as bad as I expected. As far as diet went I ate nothing but fruit Popsicles for the first 3 days and then moved to instant mashed potatoes which went down okay. If it hurts to eat, I would eat about 20 to 30 minutes after taking pain medicines and that helped me a lot. My advice would be to get a humidifier and have that right next to you when you sleep so your throat doesn't get too dry and drink a lot of water/Powerade Zero to stay hydrated. Although it may not be comfortable to drink, the pain will be worse if you don't. The worst thing you can do is let your throat get dry. When that happens you will have more pain and you risk bleeding. Like I said, my experience wasn't awful like the others, but maybe I just have a really good doctor (he told me he has done 3 to 5 tonsillectomies every month for the past 15 years). Lastly, make sure to listen to yourself and don't push it. It's not worth the pain or the chance to end up in the hospital again due to bleeding.

Comment from: kitsune, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I just had my tonsillectomy a week ago and I must say, it hurt terribly. I spent the first night in the hospital and I felt okay because I was on morphine and the IV but the moment I went home a world of pain followed. I had always suffered with swollen tonsils so I had no choice. But here is some sound advice, drink water, ice is your friend, and when the pain gets going, use an ice pack (these speed up recovery as they reduce swelling faster too).

Comment from: brittanynsmith0803, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 26 and had my tonsils removed on the 19th of June. It has been one of the most painful things I have ever experienced in my entire life. I am sure every one's situation is different and everyone has a different healing process but mine has been terrible. I haven't eaten anything since day 1 of my tonsillectomy. I can barely swallow any kind of water to take my pain medications and my medicines wear off within the first two hours and I am only allowed to take them every six hours. Piece of advice; day one you drink as much as you can. For me it was room temperature water, because by day six if you are any kind of dehydrated it will only make the experience that much worse. The past two days I have had the worst pain in my tongue, it feels like every time I swallow I am swallowing razor blades. The only thing that helps is to get through the first few painful gulps of water and drink as much water as I can.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?