Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Maas, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

After reading countless horror experiences I expected the worst after my tonsillectomy, but it actually turned out pretty good. I am a 26 year old out-of-shape male, with large tonsils causing partial sleep apnea. I had my surgery on July 26th, 2017 and I only spent 2 or 3 days in pain. I kept expecting it to get worse like other patients described, but just kept getting better and better. Day of the surgery I was slurping on icy ice creams (water based), Jell-O cups and lots and lots of water. I believe that was the key for me, just sipping tiny amounts of cold ice water every few seconds. Yes, on the first two days it would send a jolt down my body every time I swallowed, but I forced myself that way I would get better. I slept with a humidifier and stuck to 'kids menu' the first three days, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, ground beef, etc. I took my pain killer religiously every 4 hours, and even when lying in bed at night when I couldn't sleep or wake up in the middle of the night I'd be sipping water. So that should be your strategy, keep on sipping cold water and you will be ok! It definitely worked for me! I was never really in 'the worst pain of my life' just very uncomfortable the first 2 and a half days. By day 4 or 5 I could eat anything I wanted in small portions! In 6 days I was almost back to 100 percent. So I just wanted to post this good story in the sea of all these bad ones, saying that it is not always that bad! Maybe my doctor cleaned up the incision nicely with the scalpel (my doctor was a face plastic surgeon). But I could go through it again, no problem, if I had to!

Comment from: Raahhyynn, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I had my tonsillectomy on 7/26/17 and although it has not been pain free, it has not been the most painful thing ever. The first couple days I took my pain medicines (I was given liquid Hycet, hydrocodone/acetaminophen) every 4 hours, in fear that if I didn't the pain would be unbearable. After around the 4th day or so I started spreading them out to every 6 to 8 hours and I was fine. The pain changed around day 5, and my ears started to ache, but nothing unbearable. Keep in mind I am not known to have a high pain tolerance. But maybe this wasn't so bad because I have had so many tonsillitis/strep episodes. The pain overall I would say is a 6/10 for the whole experience and I am still recovering but back at work today. I read a lot of these reviews and freaked myself out a bit, but this was not as bad as I expected. As far as diet went I ate nothing but fruit Popsicles for the first 3 days and then moved to instant mashed potatoes which went down okay. If it hurts to eat, I would eat about 20 to 30 minutes after taking pain medicines and that helped me a lot. My advice would be to get a humidifier and have that right next to you when you sleep so your throat doesn't get too dry and drink a lot of water/Powerade Zero to stay hydrated. Although it may not be comfortable to drink, the pain will be worse if you don't. The worst thing you can do is let your throat get dry. When that happens you will have more pain and you risk bleeding. Like I said, my experience wasn't awful like the others, but maybe I just have a really good doctor (he told me he has done 3 to 5 tonsillectomies every month for the past 15 years). Lastly, make sure to listen to yourself and don't push it. It's not worth the pain or the chance to end up in the hospital again due to bleeding.

Comment from: kitsune, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I just had my tonsillectomy a week ago and I must say, it hurt terribly. I spent the first night in the hospital and I felt okay because I was on morphine and the IV but the moment I went home a world of pain followed. I had always suffered with swollen tonsils so I had no choice. But here is some sound advice, drink water, ice is your friend, and when the pain gets going, use an ice pack (these speed up recovery as they reduce swelling faster too).

Comment from: brittanynsmith0803, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 26 and had my tonsils removed on the 19th of June. It has been one of the most painful things I have ever experienced in my entire life. I am sure every one's situation is different and everyone has a different healing process but mine has been terrible. I haven't eaten anything since day 1 of my tonsillectomy. I can barely swallow any kind of water to take my pain medications and my medicines wear off within the first two hours and I am only allowed to take them every six hours. Piece of advice; day one you drink as much as you can. For me it was room temperature water, because by day six if you are any kind of dehydrated it will only make the experience that much worse. The past two days I have had the worst pain in my tongue, it feels like every time I swallow I am swallowing razor blades. The only thing that helps is to get through the first few painful gulps of water and drink as much water as I can.

Comment from: Polly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My tonsillectomy was overall a good experience, I didn't need to take any pain killers, and listened to my body. I am a 20 year-old female. As a kid, I constantly got tonsillitis, strep throat, etc., and I got quinsy a couple years back. I also got occasional tonsil stones. In the last 10 years, 90 percent of my ailments have been sore throats. With my tonsillectomy everything went according to plan. They gave me popsicles, water and apple juice in the hospital while they monitored me for a few hours before sending me home. It didn't hurt to eat/drink, but it felt weird because everything was beginning to swell. I was home by 6 PM and I drank ice water/ate right away. I had fruit popsicles, mashed sweet potato/soft fish and some mangoes. I didn't take any pain killers because the pain was minimal. Also, I still felt loopy from the general and the drugs were hitting me in waves. I was fine one minute and felt stoned the next. Before bed, I decided to take the prescribed Percocet just in case things got bad overnight and boy, was that a mistake. I don't know if it was still the anesthesia wearing off or if it was the pain killer (or both combined), but every time I was about to fall asleep, it felt like I suddenly stopped breathing. I would then wake myself up gasping for air and crying because I really wanted to sleep, but couldn't. I finally managed to drift off to sleep around 6am. I didn't have the need to take any pain killers (not even Tylenol) after that first Percocet. As long as I didn't talk, yawn/cough/sneeze, eat, or drink in large volumes (I drank through a straw), there was no throat/ear pain at all. If I did have to engage in any of the listed activities, I just pushed through it and the pain abated quickly after I was done. The first couple of days, I had a lot of trouble chewing/swallowing because everything was swelling. The peak swelling period was around 1 to 2 days post-operation. The pain was okay because the scabs were thick, so even though there was some pain swallowing, it was dull and dispersed. During this time, I also had a very low-grade fever and felt lethargic. Additionally, my jaw and tongue were recovering from being clamped down, so my muscles were very tense. By day 3, the swelling started to go down and so did the scabs. The pain in my ears slowly increased and I had sharper points of pain in the region where they took the tonsils out. During day 4 I tasted a bit of blood after swallowing food, felt sharp pain and had an associated ear ache, so I drank a bunch of ice water and it seemed to stop. I haven't had any bleeding since. Days 5 to 7 were the worst. Although the swelling and muscle cramps were almost completely gone, the scabs were falling off, so with every bite of food/water, there was either stinging, shooting, or ripping pain in random spots. My ears were also suffering and water had this weird sweet flavor to it. I think my breath was also rank at this point. I am now day 8 post-operation and I feel marginally better. Now, I only feel pain when I eat, especially if it's a tiny bit spicy/sour/hot. My main piece of advice is to try and live the same routine you had before surgery, but with modifications depending on the day of recovery and what kind of pain you're in. Try to listen to your body and its needs, if you don't need pain pills, don't take them. Drink lots of ice water even if you feel like you don't need it. I didn't drink anything other than water (to avoid excess sugar), and I made sure to avoid alcohol too. Try to resume a normal diet (apart from super spicy, hot, sharp, sour things) as soon as possible. Make sure the food you eat is super nutritious and filling. Do very light exercise as soon as possible.

Comment from: Em, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

It is day 3 from tonsillectomy and I cannot get her to eat anything. She is sleeping so much from the pain medicines and is drinking lots of water. It is not much as far as temperature but pain level is a 5 out of 10. She did get up to shower on day 2 but only a quick rinse and although she says she is craving something savory, she will not eat. I did buy some baby food in hopes of getting something down.

Comment from: dmmteg, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

For those who had tonsillectomies, I wonder if anyone had a very strong metallic taste in their mouth while they were eating. My surgeon said it's most likely caused by nerve damage and that hopefully it will resolve but no guarantees. I wanted to know if anyone else experienced this and if it went away for them. I'm very worried/concerned. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my surgery.

Comment from: coolbloke1324, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a tonsillectomy today, about 8 hours ago. The pain is bad but I can fight through that. The really scary issue I have is that if I drink any liquid, even quite small sips, I go to swallow it and immediately panic because I feel like I am drowning. I cannot seem to swallow even water, and have to spit it out and then try to calm down because the feeling of drowning is very, very scary. This is going to be limiting my recovery I'm sure. I know I'm only on day one but I'm scared to drink water and suffocate, the nurses might not find me for 30 minutes and I will be dead. Also scared to sleep if I choke and suffocate in my sleep.

Comment from: KMAE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 25, I had my tonsils and adenoids removed on April 3rd, 2017. I read before I had surgery and saw so much negativity and complaints of horrific pain and bleeding, and it scared me to death. Let me tell you, this procedure was a walk in the park compared to every testimony I read. I did some things differently though to help my chances with pain. I am auto immune and have Crohn's so I was very afraid of added pain to my life, but had no choice when it came to the removal. Firstly, I did not consume any sugar post-surgery. I started cutting sugar out of my diet 2 weeks before to help myself not have a withdrawal problem. This surgery obviously leaves you with open wounds, why would I want sugar in an open wound! That is like eating candy when you have a canker sore. Secondly I ate every day, 3 times a day. I ate plain eggs (no salt or anything), apple oatmeal and pasta (pasta was day 4). I drank water all day. The pain is when things get dry so drinking room temperature water is your best goal. Be careful about using a straw, it is not recommended. Third, I had a large humidifier that was on all night right by my head. I slept propped up which really helped with the pressure in my throat. Ice is always good for swelling, but massaging the jaw muscles was my best choice, they will be tender but keeping them loose helps you not to clench your jaw from pain. I had no ear pain at all, but was prepared for it with cotton balls, garlic and organic olive oil. I mixed the garlic and olive oil in a small Tupperware and put it in the fridge ready to be used. I took my pain medicines in liquid form every 5 hours for 9 days and then switched to Tylenol. Keeping food in you helps so much with healing because you are getting nutrition required so your body can focus on the ailment at hand. This was not a horrible terrible time, yes it hurts, and it felt like severe post nasal drip to me. I brushed my teeth 4 times a day to keep bacteria down and I stretched my jaw (as far as comfortable) very often so it would not get too tight (the massaging helped a lot). Don't be afraid of this procedure. Mentally I told myself I would handle whatever happened and being prepared with water, humidifier, massage techniques, pain medicines, eating and keeping my mouth very clean landed me a fine experience. I would go through this surgery again if I had too (we all know that won't happen though).

Comment from: AubzisAubz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

Worst pain ever! I'm a week out of tonsillectomy and the pain gets worse every day. I've read it is supposed to get better but for me it is not. I'm usually not one to be upset over pain and cry, I've had injuries and surgery before, but this is absolutely horrible. I can't speak, eat or drink, feels like someone is cutting my throat open constantly.

Comment from: kbv, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have recently had a tonsillectomy and am currently on day 6 of my recovery and I thought I would share for anyone who is worried, reading like I did beforehand and freaking out. I am 30 years old and I have had several operations in the past and this isn't one of the worst which I thought by reading reviews it would be. The first few days following the operation was fine, I was eating normally and talking normally, day 5 and 6 (today) has been the worst, yesterday I struggled to talk and even swallow water but when you are not talking/eating the pain isn't there constantly. I would highly suggest taking the medications regularly to keep the pain at bay. It isn't as bad as originally thought, try drinking a lot of water, and soup is good. You do tend to lose your appetite, I used to be always hungry and following the operation I am not, I think it is a lot to do with the pain killers. Do not worry, it will be worth it in the end.

Comment from: Dano, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had several throat operations as an adult. The first was an extended tonsillectomy and uvulectomy. The second was a widening of the throat and tightening of the palette. These operations hurt like you would not believe. I thought it was all ice cream and jelly, but I found out differently! The first operation was just before Christmas and it made it a miserable period. I nearly cried with the swallowing pain a few times. The medications needed to be taken every few hours day and night, and their effect wore out before I was due for the next dose. The second operation was in Colombia where they are more liberal with their prescriptions (Voltaren and a pain killer) but even there I preferred not to eat than take the pain. I lost about 5 kg. Towards the end I discovered that raw egg goes down very easily. A few gulps and you've had a more or less pain free meal. That discovery really saved me. Also useful is soaking chia or linseeds in water; it creates a slippery drink that goes down more easily than water itself. Also a little bit of salt in water (or tea), and baking soda helps to make each sip go down easier. I really hope this helps some people.

Comment from: Liz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

The worst thing I've done is to have this tonsillectomy. I don't know if it is the level of care after the operation that has been bad. I was given no antibiotics afterwards or painkillers, just paracetamol. I then bled out a week after the operation and had to have another operation. I had stitches, however I am left with a constantly swollen throat still 9 months after the operation. It is not sore, but red and swollen, that's because I think all my throat nerves are damaged. My doctor won't refer me yet as it is too soon. I wished I'd never had it done, I'm depressed with it. The feeling something is in the back of your throat all the time, my taste is not normal and I cannot get words out correctly. I have to really concentrate when having a conversation, though talking is not painful. My doctor told me to drink ice cold water to make the swelling go down, that's all they've told me to do.

Comment from: Shey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am on day 5 from my surgery and am doing ok. On day 3 I started bleeding and had to go back into surgery. Day 3 was definitely the worst so far, which may have been due to the bleeding. The ear pain is definitely there but tolerable. I did not drink much the first several days but since I had the second surgery I have drunk lots and it has helped the pain tremendously. I am having trouble eating much of anything but can get apple sauce and instant potatoes down. I have done my best to stay on top of my pain medicine and that helps keep the pain manageable. I don't regret having it done. I had the initial surgery done on Thursday, second surgery done on Sunday and am back at work (desk job, minimal talking) on Tuesday.

Comment from: Inafets, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I am a 43 year old mother of 4, and underwent tonsillectomy 2 months ago as a result of chronic, lifelong sinus troubles, inner ear problems, and tonsil stones. Pain was manageable with prescribed pain medicines, no problem up to about day 5, then just alternating between acetaminophen and ibuprofen (keeping a log) from about day 6 to 17. Ice chips helped keep me hydrated and numb the pain. Best advice is to follow doctor's instructions and listen to your body. I made sure to stay hydrated (water, sports drinks), nourished (smoothies, chicken noodle soup, and scrambled eggs were my staple foods), and very well rested. Chewing gum helped keep throat moist and jaw exercised. I even kept sugar free gum or a cough drop in my mouth while sleeping (worked for me) as well as a humidifier and essential oils diffuser with doTerra On Guard drops. Best kept secret is finding alcohol free sore throat spray to numb the throat as well as On Guard beads and lozenges (also numbing).

Comment from: Gemgem, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am in day 4 post tonsillectomy and am really struggling. I've had allergic reactions to 2 types of antibiotics and have now found one, and the ear pain has set in. I just want to know how long it goes on for. The throat pain I can handle, this ear pain is something else though! I can't take really strong pain killers as I am too sensitive to them and they make me feel like I can't breathe. This ear pain is unbearable. I'm trying the gum chewing, taking Co-codamol and ibuprofen, both prescribed. I am just feeling really down in the dumps. I'm 32, had a child and everything, had no idea the pain would be so bad.

Comment from: WD, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I am a 38 year old Dutch guy and had my tonsils removed 18 days ago due to big tonsil size and sleep apnea. This site has been helpful to me (especially in the middle of the night when I could not sleep due to excruciating pain from the tonsillectomy), so I would like to share my experience with you as well. Overall, the stories described here really correspond to actual reality of what is happening after you have your tonsils removed. For me, it really was terrible. Before I underwent surgery I thought it couldn't be that bad, but it is. Expect at least 10 days of awful pain and ask for enough paracetamol, NSAIDs and definitely morphine, you will need it. After 12 days the pain slowly subsides and I could start eating normal food again. I lost 4 kg in 12 days. The pain is worst in the early morning and evening. Take your medicines on regular time so blood levels are optimal. Now, on day 18, it still feels as a mild tonsillitis, so I expect total recovery time will be around 3 weeks. Take your time for that, as you will need it and don't underestimate the pain as I did. Eventually I am happy that my tonsils are out, but the pain I gave gone through were the worst I have ever experienced. I would only advise to undergo tonsillectomy if you really, really, really have to. Good luck!

Comment from: Cara76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am on day 7 after a tonsillectomy and I am 40 years old. This is a tough operation and the pain has peaked for me over the last 3 days, so day 5 to 7. Rather than repeat what others have said, I am going to note a few tips that are helping me to manage through it. Firstly, the first few days are ok, pain is very manageable so I suggest lots of rest, take your painkillers and eat as much as you can. It is very helpful to chew chewing gum. It exercises the throat through the chewing and produces saliva which is helping with pain and healing. The pain is worst first thing in the morning because you have not been using your throat. Grin and bear through it to get the medicines down. Once I have swallowed the medicines, I chew a piece of gum to generate saliva, it hurts but once you get the chewing going, it helps. The best of the painkillers I have been prescribed is Difene but I can only take this twice a day so I take it in the morning to allow me have breakfast and in the evening to allow me have dinner. This also gets me more or less through the day without much pain. Once I have taken my medicines in the morning, I eat a good breakfast, I find even when the first few bites are painful, if you persevere, the pain will ease and you can enjoy the food. Recovery is going to take 10 days, you need to plan to rest as much as you can for the full 10 days. I am hoping I am getting over the worst of it now and looking forward to getting back to myself next week. I have also been told (and I believe it) that nobody regrets getting the procedure, yes, it is 10 days of hard work but I am so happy they are gone and looking forward to years tonsillitis-free and without antibiotics!

Comment from: Sheena, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I had tonsillectomy when I was 30. I had suffered on and off with tonsillitis since I was a child and I had reached the stage where they felt they were infected more often than not and that I had to have them removed. The best way I can describe tonsillectomy is that it felt like I had tonsillitis again. I had a pain at the back of my throat. The nurses insured that I had ibuprofen and paracetamol at the right intervals to keep the pain at bay. I felt this was sufficient for the level of pain I felt. At the start I could hear a crunch in my ear but that disappeared after a few days. Honestly it was not that bad. The sorest days for me were days 5 to 7. I was told the pain could get worse as it knitted together. Again it was bearable, it just felt sore when I swallowed. In the end I took a few painkillers over these days just to ensure the pain did not get worse. My eating was normal but I ate soft foods like omelets and pasta at the start. I am now 2 months after the operation and I couldn't be happier with deciding to go through with it. I feel I have more energy but mostly it is the weight that is off my shoulders now. The worry of tonsillitis is gone.

Comment from: Emma, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I had a tonsillectomy at 23. A lot of stories I read before my operation were awful but after months of continuous infections and the damage from this putting me in continuous pain whether infected or not, I decided it was the best option. Overall, although my recovery has not been particularly pleasant, I have never wished I hadn't had it done. In fact, I have actually felt better than during the times when I had tonsillitis. After waking up I ate a sandwich and some biscuits with no problem, and when I was given some tablet pain killers to try it was actually easier to swallow them than before the operation due to the lack of obstruction that my tonsils had been causing. Since leaving the hospital I haven't lost any weight as I've been able to keep a very normal diet (just cutting out spicy or acidic things) and have been taking standard headache dose painkillers. I have had pain in my ears which has been manageable and I found the pain in my throat gets much better the more I use it. I had a small increase in pain day 5 to 7 but still very manageable and by the end of day 7 most scabs were gone. No bleeding and mostly they had just gone down with food rather than spitting up. Not an operation to have done unnecessarily but if you're really suffering it isn't something to be afraid of doing.

Comment from: RCH2288, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I had my tonsillectomy on 9/21/16, and currently at day 13. The recovery is no joke, not for the faint of heart. I'm a 47 year old male and have always had a high tolerance for pain. Not with the tonsillectomy. I've never felt pain like this. As others have said, the first couple days aren't too bad so you get lulled into a false sense into thinking maybe your recovery will be easier than most. Day 3 to 5 hit and you start bargaining with God. My body shook with the pain and crying tears was not unusual. The pain medications help slightly for couple hours but all you do is look forward to the next round to stop the excruciating agony in your throat and ears. Every time you swallow it feels like gargling shards of glass with an acid chaser and the ear pain is like a screwdriver being jammed into your ear drums. I actually went to the emergency room and was put on a morphine drip on day 5 and I didn't want to leave the hospital. I would say the pain finally began to let up around day 10. I came back to work yesterday and while I am still nowhere near 100 percent each day is a little better. I am back to eating regular foods but everything tastes bland and awful. I lost 15 pounds from the surgery so that is the only benefit I can say I had. If I had to do it over again I would definitely not do it. I know everyone says in the long run I will be better off because my tonsils were extremely large, but they weren't bothering me, just unusually big.

Comment from: Alex, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am on day 10 post tonsillectomy. For the most part, the pain has been pretty manageable with paracetamol. The pain peaked on days 6 to 9 and was worst at night, but manageable with Endone. What helped was sleeping with head elevated, drinking loads of ice cold drinks and sucking on ice chips. I have been able to eat normal food such as toast, but anything acidic like tomato caused pain.

Comment from: dianna15, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I am a 21 year old female. I received a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy three weeks ago. I am going to be honest, the recovery period is not fun. I received the surgery and felt pretty decent after surgery. Days 1 and 2 I was very tired, but able to eat pancakes and some harder foods, it actually felt good on my throat. My appetite was hardly there though. Days 3 to 7 were the worst. My throat felt like I was swallowing razor blades. I was taking an antibiotic and it was making me very nauseous. I had the worst stomach pain. I finally called my doctor on the 6th day because I couldn't take it anymore and he told me to stop taking them. I started to feel better! But then, on day 7 I woke up with the worst ear pain I had ever had. My ENT had told me this could happen, but I had no idea that it would be this bad. I couldn't sleep more than 4 hours without waking up. I was extremely tired. I had stopped taking pain killers around day 5, but I had to start taking them again at day 7 because they were the only thing that could keep me asleep. I didn't open my mouth for a week. I also had very bad breath and my tongue had so many canker sores. I chewed gum to help move my mouth without actually speaking. I returned to work on day 11. But, I did not feel fully better until day 12. I am almost at three weeks and I still have some soreness when I wake up, but I am not fully back to normal and healed fine. This recovery for adults is not fun, but it overall helped my health, so I say it is worth it.

Comment from: Patricia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I received a tonsillectomy and had my adenoids removed on a Friday around lunch/evening. At first it didn't seem bad and the pain seemed to be very tolerable. Right after the surgery I went to a local cafe and had a warm bowl of macaroni and cheese and I felt pretty good. The first few days were really easy, it wasn't until day 3 and 4, and so on where the pain became unbearable. The ENT doctor never prepared me for the pain I was to endure. The night of day 3 and day 4 the pain was an 8/10. It wasn't until day 5 when the pain became excruciating. I had developed this awful pain in my ears and throat; that was an unfathomable pain. It woke me up every single hour of the night and I would wake up in a pool of my own sweat and drool from the pain. That pain persisted to day 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. There is no pain like this. This will bring you down to your knees and have you bargaining your life. I am currently on day 11 and while the pain has gone down to a 9/10 maybe an 8/10, it still persists. If there is one thing I regret in my life, it's having this pointless surgery. When I met up with my doctor post-operation he told me they were the biggest tonsils he had ever seen. While I did have difficulties with my tonsils, if I had the choice to go back in time and decide if I needed this surgery I would absolutely say no.

Comment from: Kelly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had my tonsils taken out 4 days ago and I've lost 15 pounds since my tonsillectomy. I've been drinking cold water like crazy. I have a huge 64 oz Hydro Flask and that thing is my best friend, constantly filling it up nonstop, and urinating every 15 minutes. I think since I've been keeping my throat moist all the time my recovery has been quite pleasant. I've been reading forums on the recovery process and I was terrified of the pain. But the best advice is keep on drinking cold water. The only thing I've been eating is protein drinks I bought from Costco and chicken broth with egg drop soup. Ice cream is ok, I didn't really care for it though. At night time make sure you take your pain medication, and drink frequently because you will feel your scabs at the back of your throat. I would wake up usually around 3 to 4 am and take more pain medicines.

Comment from: Hailey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

Good news! I am currently on the 13th day of my recovery from tonsillectomy and am pretty much fully recovered. I haven't had the need for any pain killers over the last couple of days. My ENT doctor actually told me due to the severity of my previous infections my tonsils were very difficult to get out and I should expect some severe pain. While it was pretty sore for the first couple of days it was nothing as unbearable as I have read so many people say, just a pretty sore throat but the painkillers took it away apart from when swallowing. I made sure to drink regularly and eat soft foods straight away (I think this really helped). Tylenol 3 made me feel pretty woozy so I moved onto ibuprofen and found that to be perfect after 4 or 5 days. It controlled the pain and I only really felt it when eating or when the painkillers were wearing off. I was out shopping after 4 days and even managed a night out for dinner and a couple of drinks with friends 7 days after surgery. Although I felt good at the time I did feel pretty lousy the next morning. I think the key is to recover slowly. I am writing this because I read so many horror stories (my husband, even more) about the procedure I canceled it once and doubted ever going through with it. I know this is just my experience, although another colleague of mine recently had it at another hospital and she also recovered speedily, but I hope this will let those that are overwhelmed with negativity know there are some positive experiences too. All the best! My top tips are: Don't believe all the negative things you hear, if you do you have lost the battle already. Eat and drink as regularly as you can. Don't rush back to activity but do try to keep busy, it really helps take your mind off it. Be positive about it. (It's just a sore throat. right!)

Comment from: Cian, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

The day of the tonsillectomy and the day after were a walk in the park, I told the doctors I was a 10/10 for pain so they'd keep me loaded with the strongest painkillers they had. I'm about to go into day 6 tomorrow, the pain the last 3 mornings have been like nothing I've ever experienced before, truly character building stuff. I've been sleeping about 6 hours a night then waking up in excruciating pain (actually 10/10), literally feels like my whole head is going to erupt; toothaches, headaches, earaches, jaw aches. It's been so bad that I can barely open my mouth to take painkillers. I normally try and have a spoonful of yogurt or two so I can take the medicine without it hurting my stomach too much, once I take them I fall asleep for another 4 or 5 hours and wake up again in pretty bad pain. I really hope tomorrow is going to be better but I doubt it. This being said, the days are pretty ok, pain is minimal and I've been eating fairly solidly throughout, it's just the mornings that are bad. Also, I've been drinking maybe 5 liters of water a day, keeping everything from drying out. I was only prescribed Solpadeine for pain which in my opinion isn't strong enough. I know it's going to be worth it because I've suffered with tonsillitis 13 plus times this year and it ruined my life so I'm looking forward to being healthy again. Surgeon also said my tonsils were huge so this might be contributing to all the pain.

Comment from: slowlydying, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I am now on my fourth day out of tonsillectomy surgery and this has probably been the worst few days of my life. My last meal was the night before surgery (Tuesday) and since then I have had four popsicles, a couple bites of potatoes, applesauce, and baby food. I want food so badly but I know that not only can I not eat, but I can barely swallow. I started having an earache today and it's been miserable. My doctor have me all my medicine in pill form, which is just cruel. I did throw up the day after surgery and had to go back into the hospital from dehydration and extreme pain. I can't even open my mouth far enough to look at my throat, but hopefully it'll get better. Good luck my friends, this is awful.

Comment from: JAC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was terrified after reading others' experiences after adult tonsillectomy. It was not that horrible for me. Basically day 1, 2, and 3 almost no pain. Day 3 I had a follow up and he offered a steroid/Toradol shot. I accepted but didn't feel overwhelmed by pain. That got me about 24 hours of absolutely no pain. When that wore off, the pain was evident, but I never even took my pain medicines. I did, however, go back and got another steroid/Toradol shot, which got me through another 24 hours. The pain probably peaked day 6 and I was surprised that it lasted through about day 10, but my ENT was awesome and gave me a 3rd shot. For this reason, I never needed my pain medicines. I did set an alarm to take Tylenol and ibuprofen around the clock. Day 11 I started feeling better. Today is day 14 and I can eat whatever I want and am totally better. I drank a lot of water throughout the 14 days and used a humidifier. I cared for my 2 year old the whole time with no help and I was ok.

Comment from: guest, Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am currently 7 day post tonsillectomy. I suffered from tonsillitis for years and at the end of last year had it constantly over a 3 month period, I was bed ridden, and in extreme pain. The day of my surgery I woke up in pain and was given morphine I drank some water which stung quite badly. That night I attempted to eat, and only got down a couple spoonsful of jelly. The next day I ate scrambled eggs and pears for breakfast and was released from hospital. That night I had KFC (Kentucky fried chicken) for dinner which was painful to eat. The next day I ate a lot of custards and some fruit. The day after that I ate chicken carbonara and managed some pizza apart from the crust. While it was painful I managed to eat fairly normal till day 6. Since then I haven't been able to eat anything really, it has been excruciating pain trying to swallow food, and again today all I've eaten is some yoghurt and custard. I am absolutely starving! I have horrible ear aches which are relieved a little with heat packs. I am taking Endone 3 hourly, ibuprofen 3 times a day and also Panadol when needed as well as an antibiotic to avoid infection. I wake up all through the night in pain, I get 2 hours sleep maximum at a time so I am fairly tired! I am hoping in the next few days the pain subsides a bit. Last night I slept with a vaporizer on and I also sleep sitting up on 3 pillows. I have found this experience quite painful but I know in the long run I will no longer deal with serious bouts of tonsillitis.

Comment from: Alabama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had to have a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy because my tonsils were so big. Kissing tonsils they say. I'm on day 5 and that pain has gotten a little more tolerable. I've only been able to eat yogurt, popsicles, and drink water and tea since the surgery. The mornings are the worst trying to swallow. I have to take a Benadryl and eat yogurt to mix with the medicine which I'm allergic to because it burns my throat to swallow. The bright side of it all I'll breathe better and will not have to sleep on a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine anymore. Wish everybody else good luck and a speedy recovery.

Comment from: 26yrMale, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

On day 1 I had tonsillectomy surgery at 9 am. I got put to sleep and woke up at 11:30 feeling dazed from anesthetic. My pain was like 2 out of 10, I told the nurse I was feeling 7 out of 10 so I can get an extra shot of morphine. About 20 minutes later I really needed to go take a leak and I was able to go on my own but they wouldn't let me because I was in the patient recovery section. I would have to be transferred in order to use the washroom. So I got transferred to the patient checkup section. I walked to go take a leak, and got a couple of Popsicles. I left the hospital about an hour 2 hours afterwards. I got home, lay upwards, had ice cold water only, and rested. Important thing is, when you swallow it hurts terribly, so tilt your head up every time you swallow. Don't clear your throat! Day 2, I drove myself to go buy ice cream, yogurt, juice, Popsicles. Continue swallowing by tilting your head up so it help with the pain. Rest all day and don't talk! Don't clear your throat! Day 3, I woke up with a load of mucus and phlegm and cleared it out. I brushed my teeth with cold water only. I brushed my tongue also. I ate ice cream, drank juice and a lot of water! I drove downtown, walked around in the sun to get some vitamin D. At night time I ate chicken noodle soup, and I was chewing lightly. Eat the noodles, only make sure they are well cooked and soft. I went to bed hoping to sleep some more. Day 4 which is today, May 5 2016, I am eating noodle soup. Make sure it is well cooked, throw some onions parsley or anything green that gets cooked and soft, you need some greens in you. I ate scrambled eggs and 3 bowls of different type of noodle soup. I drank a lot of guava juice and had coconut Popsicle, some crab soup with fish maw soup or something from a Chinese restaurant. Today was the day I took a shower. I cleared my throat, oh yeah, have a cup of water with you always! A note: the pain so far was worst on first and second day. I haven't taken the pain medicine oxycodone that I bought to take home yet. I am managing without it, be a man and take the pain, don't mess up your body. I only took the amoxicillin every 4 hours every single day to prevent an infection. Make sure you have water by you side! It is not so bad and I am managing.

Comment from: andnepo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I am on day 6 after tonsillectomy and uvulectomy. It hurts terribly. Typically, for the post-surgery recovery the worst day is day 3. In my case, every day after day 3 was the worst. Everything seems to be in pain; my tongue, my throat, my jaw and even teeth. The tongue remains all swollen and looks like a jelly. The painkillers do not seem to be helping too much although they make me drowsy so I can sleep. My pain cycles go like this: I start feeling a bad pain from my throat dried out despite the fact I drink a lot of water. I drink a glass of water. The process itself seems to be making micro-cracks in the throat that makes the pain virtually intolerable. At this stage, the painkillers do not seem to help. While having my throat, tongue and teeth on fire I apply ice packs and start walking in circles as staying still is even worse. About 5 to 15 minutes later the pain starts to fade. I have about 45 minutes of pain free time. Then everything goes to the phase 1. During the daytime, such pain cycles are ok. However, at night it is very bad because if under painkillers' influence I sleep a bit longer, I wake up in a horrible pain so that even drinking water feels like swallowing burning coal. Meal consumption is also quite tricky. Of course, I cannot eat any solid food so everything goes through blender. Then 40 minutes before the meal, I take the pain medicines. Then I have about 1 or 2 minutes of quick food swallowing before my throat goes on fire. Then I just follow with the steps above. I am so glad the doctor prescribed me 2 weeks off work. Initially I thought he was exaggerating but now it seems like even 2 weeks will not be enough. I knew this was a painful procedure but I did not expect it to be that painful.

Comment from: B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had tonsil stones and an inflamed right tonsil for several years. I could not stand another day of disgusting stones, using a flashlight every day to clean them out, and dealing with being insecure about my breath. I decided to have them out. I'm on day 6 of recovery after my tonsillectomy. Today has been the worst in terms of pain. I thought that days 1 to 5 were painful but bearable as long as I stayed on top of the pain medications. Day 6 I woke up feeling like I swallowed razor blades. This recovery is unusual in that way. You are deceived into feeling ok by day 4 or 5, and then all of a sudden, the pain is significantly worse. I have been managing by staggering amounts of ibuprofen and Vicodin by taking a 600 mg dose of ibuprofen, then 3 hours later a dose of Vicodin. I am worried that my stomach and liver are going to be damaged by all of the pain medications but I cannot remotely function without them at this point. Ice packs on my neck help a lot especially after I wake up in the morning. A lot of people said to set alarms when sleeping to wake up and take medicines on time but I felt that it was better to let myself get all of the uninterrupted sleep possible since a great deal of healing occurs while you're asleep. But I pay the price upon waking up; waves of pain wash over me, and I quickly get an ice pack on and take my medicines and then just wait it out until they kick in. I'm glad I will never have to deal with tonsil stones again, but man, am I ready for this pain cycle to end. I wish everyone else well and a speedy recovery. Hang in there!

Comment from: Megan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I got my tonsils out, deviated septum fixed, and also a biopsy in my cheek all at the same time. I prepared for the worst reading every one's stories about the recovery after a tonsillectomy. I had requested 2 weeks off work hoping that was enough. The first couple days were the worst, I had to go to the doctors and get stronger medicines. After getting those, it made a huge impact. I must have got extremely lucky because exactly a week after the surgery I was going out and doing things. My advice to you is to get a humidifier because that helped when waking up in the mornings because your throat is so dry. I literally stayed in bed for a week straight except to get up and shower. And if stood up or walked around for more than 5 minutes, my throat would hurt a lot. Also my medicine said to take every 4 to 6 hours. I was on the dot every 4 hours with my medicine. Jell-O and applesauce helped. Also Top Ramen but it had to be lukewarm temperature and also the noodles had to be cut up. I lost about 10 pounds in a week and after the first week I started to get an appetite again. I couldn't talk the first week without a lot of pain. Talking would make it worse. I only noticed one of my scabs falling off when I was eating but it luckily didn't bleed. It has now been exactly 2 weeks since my surgery and I am back at work and it hurts to swallow but not as bad as it did and also yawning hurts. Hope every one's recovery goes smooth.

Comment from: Just A Mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My usually very active 6 year old son is on day 11 of his recovery from a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy due to recurrent tonsillitis over the last 3 years (5 plus per year). We have managed his pain with Tylenol and Ibuprofen. He has had an average recovery in my opinion. I really thought he would be back to his old self by now since I was told that children tend to recover more quickly than adults. He is still having moments of sharp pain and is on a mostly soft diet. He does love the ice packs on his neck but is overeating ice cream, imagine that! Warm items seem to increase his pain so we stick to cold and room temperature foods; juice, eggs, yogurt, apples, crackers, etc. I really hope he feels better soon. It is so hard to see your little one in pain. We are running out of movies, books, Legos, and board games.

Comment from: dia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 22 and had my tonsils removed and I am on my 13th day of tonsillectomy. First 4 days were very horrible, there was pain in my ears and throat. Worst part was bleeding started from my throat on my 10th day and I rushed to the emergency room and doctor used suction to remove blood clots. I was not able to take food (solid food) and doctor told me that bleeding started because I didn't take solid food. I advise all those who are aged 19 to 25 to take proper instructions regarding your diet after tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Denis, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 28 year old male and I had a tonsillectomy on the 1st of March. During the surgery I was sleeping and everything went ok. Days 1 to 3 were bad but somehow manageable. I went home on day 2. On day 3 I even went outside for a short walk. I was taking strong pills so that I was able to eat something. On day 4, the pain got worse. This pain lasted up to day 8. Although I was taking a lot of pills, I never had such pain in my life. Pain was much stronger than during the first 3 days. The worst are nights and mornings. After day 8, the things got better quite fast. I also got antibiotics on day 14 and now, 3 weeks after the surgery, everything is more or less fine.

Comment from: Dallas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had my tonsillectomy on February 24th after years of tonsillitis. I have to say this is the best decision I have made in a while. I am a big guy 6 ft. 4 inches, 250 lb. and my tonsils were massive. The second day after surgery I had a massive fever, this was definitely the worst. I think the cause of the fever was lack of sleep that night. Every other night I slept fine and woke up to take my pain medicine then fell right back to sleep. The pain was bad but it was nothing unbearable. Stick to eating Jell-O, parfait, scrambled eggs, milkshakes and ice cream, and also drink at least a gallon of water a day. After about the 11th day I was able to start eating whole foods again. I used to snore like a freight train but now my girlfriend says that I'm sleeping silently. That and being able to breathe through my nose better made this surgery a must.

Comment from: Faye, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had the tonsillectomy procedure done nearly a week ago. Maybe I just had a good surgeon, but my experience has not been nearly as bad as most of these reviews. I take amoxicillin to prevent infection, and an ibuprofen when needed. I also gargle with salt water after eating. Staying hydrated (with cool, not cold water) and not speaking has helped the healing process. The worst part for me is the taste in my mouth when I eat cold liquids. I'm upset because this means I can't eat all the yogurt and popsicles I bought. Oatmeal has been wonderful though. I'm sure the bad taste is from the scabs and dead tissue in the back of my throat, but I try not to think about it. This entire experience is only a fraction of the pain I felt when my ovarian cysts ruptured, so maybe that's why the tonsillectomy recovery hasn't been very painful for me.

Comment from: Jonesy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I'm on recovery day number 7 after tonsillectomy and the pain isn't too bad. My ears hurt the most when trying to get liquids down so I remained hydrated with ice chips. I didn't have the easiest recovery though. I was rushed to the emergency room due to one of my scabs falling off prematurely. And I was bleeding profusely. There was a blood clot and the doctor had to use suction to get the clot out! I'm a 21 year old man in the military with an extremely high tolerance to pain and that there was the most painful thing I've ever encountered. I had to hold my fiancee's and the medical assistant's hand throughout the process. I never let the doctor see me cry even though when he left tears were just a flowing! Not fun at all! But for the most part you'll get used to the pain. I'm still wanting a full night sleep and a full meal. I'm scared to get on a scale to see what it might say! Have someone who can tend to you as much as possible you'll never know what you'll need. Good luck!

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I'm a 54 year old woman who has had a swollen tonsil for nearly 2 years. Being absolutely terrified of the tonsillectomy surgery I finally decided to do it. I'm on day 7 of recovery and while I'm happy it's over I'm having some issues. My diet has been green and strawberry Jell-O and water. I was given liquid hydrocodone which had to be downgraded to liquid codeine. It burned terribly. I threw up twice before leaving the recovery room and several times for the first 2 days. They give you all these medications, pain medicines, steroids, antibiotics, a medicated mouthwash and anti-nausea pills which made me nauseous. Days 1 and 2 not much sleep, very dry throat and it was hard to exhale through my nose while lying flat. Day 3 I could no longer take antibiotics or steroids, they made me vomit and cry. I tried eating some stuffing yesterday and it felt like it got stuck in there. I tried big gulps of water to dislodge it but it got worse this morning and bled a little. It actually feels like I'm back on day 3. I am not taking the steroids or antibiotics and I have cut back on the codeine. I am not having any other pains. So the deal is, it hurts awfully for a few days, you see some light at the end of the tunnel then it hurts exactly the same as day 3 for a while! Force yourself to drink water or be dehydrated which is awful. Thankfully my husband forced me to drink, I'd cry but I did it. Looking forward to spending my summer on the boat with my little grandkids. Good luck everyone!

Comment from: dee1789, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had my tonsillectomy surgery done on February 23/16. I am currently on day 8 of my recovery. Prior to my surgery I read a lot of recovery stories and I have to say they were all mostly accurate. Day 1 to 6 for me were the absolute worst. The pain was unbearable, and I suffered from lack of sleep, and lack of eating and drinking due to pain. Ice chips saved me, they were the one item I tolerated best. Keep up with the pain medicines, don't wait until 4 hours approaches, take them every 3 hours, never get to the point where you feel the pain starting again. Also I couldn't swallow the pills so I was grinding them to powder and putting them in ice cream, yogurt, and pudding. The constipation is horrible too, took me one week before I started going. Buy laxatives and stool softeners and take them every day, it helps. It is one experience I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Make sure you keep hydrated, sleep as much as you can, use beverages full of protein, and have someone who can spend a few days with you. My mom was my savior, if I didn't have her I don't know what I would have done. Time does pass by quickly even if it feels like a lifetime, before you know it a week will pass by. Good luck to you all!

Comment from: Alice, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I on day 5 after having my tonsils out and so far I'm managing. I'm 26 and have taken a full week off work but I think to be safe I'll work from home for a few more days after that. It's been ok so far. My surgeon stressed that I had to eat and drink. He said it's just so important to keep drinking and eating as this keeps away infection and helps the healing process (even though it seems counter intuitive). So I've been doing that and feel a lot better already. It's still sore to swallow and still hurts to talk so I've got a way to go. The worst was when I vomited on day 2 after taking codeine. But even then I survived. I've tasted a bit of spot bleeding maybe twice which is apparently normal as long as it goes away quickly. It's not a pleasant experience but you can get through it as long as you keep eating and drinking I think. It's worth it in the end.

Comment from: janaltekia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had my tonsils removed on 2/11 and it has been the worst experience ever. The pain is almost unbearable. Days 1 to 8 were awful, I could not eat or swallow anything but Jell-O or pudding. Water had to be room temperature or I got shooting pains down my neck. Then there is the ear pain which makes it feel as if your head is going to pop off. I had to sleep sitting up because the pressure would hurt so bad if I tried to lie down. My doctor prescribed me Norco but it did not help because I could not swallow it. I asked him to call me in a liquid medication and this man called in Tylenol 3 in pill form. Needless to say for the first 2 days I was in so much pain that my mother gave me a fentanyl patch. This took away some of the pain but I still was unable to eat. I ended up losing 15 pounds. Now this is day 12 and I still have pain in my ears. I can only eat small bites of soft foods. I am going to my follow up appointment sometime this week. If you have to have this procedure, please request liquid pain medication. I think my recovery would not have been so bad had I not been in so much pain.

Comment from: Texasgirl68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Today is day one, 2/18/2016 since my tonsillectomy and the pain is bad. But the worse thing is the fear of falling asleep. I fall asleep for 15 minutes and wake up panicked that I'm choking or can't breathe. I don't know if it's the pain medicine triggering my anxiety or the pain in general. I just can't seem to relax at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have though had been able to eat fairly normal food. My doctor encourage I did regular food except for anything with hard edges. He said the soft foods only was old school. That normal food like having a hamburger (chewed up well of course) actually cleans the scabs so to speak and the motion of chewing makes them more pliable and not get as thick and stiff. So far with anti-nausea medicines I haven't been sick at all. But this is day 1 so hopefully that part will be ok. It's mainly the anxiety and mucus that I wake up feeling like I can't breathe or I am choking.

Comment from: leelee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

My tonsillectomy surgery was 2/8, today is 2/13. Having experienced childbirth, C-section, and 2 corneal transplants I knew that the aftermath would not be pretty, but this is by far the worst. I felt pretty good day 2 and 3 but day 4 was an emergency room visit. I couldn't swallow my own saliva, was violently vomiting and was dehydrated. Today, I tried to sip some water and choked, Jell-O gets stuck so have only been able to manage ice chips but have learned a little juice adds some flavor unlike a Popsicle that I was unable to consume. I wonder if it is worth it, the jury is still out. I have lost over 10 lb., I did stop taking the pain medications as the side effects were not worth the minimal relief.

Comment from: Lori123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my tonsils out on the 7th Jan 2016. I was all ok at first once I kept taking my pain relief, and had trouble sleeping at night but expected that. On day 3 I had a very bad bleed, rushed to hospital by ambulance and was back in hospital for 3 days, the worst 3 days of my life! My advice is that if you are over the age of 25 and don't suffer too often with bad throat infections then don't get it done, I wish I hadn't. I ended up off work for a month, and after that month I was still unable to eat more than a few spoonsful of food at a time, even when I felt hungry. The hunger goes once I started to eat. The pain and the horrible taste in my mouth, the no sleep for a week, constipation, upset stomach, vomiting and exhaustion, all of this made the whole ordeal not worth it. I expected to get the operation done, relax for 2 weeks at home watching television and all be fine, but it was a horrible ordeal. I know I had a worse experience than a lot of people but I would still say don't do it or at least do your research fully about the aftermath.

Comment from: Jeepman86, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am on day 5 of my recovery from having tonsillectomy and sinus surgery done to correct my septum. I say it is the worst pain I think I have ever been in and just to give you history I have dental implants, rotator cuff and hand injuries, a car wreck when my head hit the ground and a hole was put in my head to let pressure out, colon surgery where I had part of my intestine removed for cancer and the list goes on. But this has been the worst due to the fact you can't sleep right and can't eat. I thought having blistering pain with colon surgery was the worst till now. I have been able to drink water and protein shakes so far but that has been it. So far it does not seem worth it but that is the pain talking. Also I wouldn't have this surgery later in life unless I take a full week off work. For me it is weird to be in so much pain but the rest of the body feeling normal. Like my body telling me to go golf but pain is telling me to watch another episode of Jerry Springer. Also make sure your doctor give you hydrocodone 10 mg if you are like me and over 200 pounds because I have the 7.5 and it takes two just to make the pain mild.

Comment from: sore throat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had the tonsils out 10 days ago. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but I must say this has been very unpleasant. I am 51 and they told me it was not much fun, I figured sore throat for a few days and back to work. Boy, was I wrong. They cut away a bunch of extra tissue so my wounds were pretty large and deep. I have slept maybe 5 hours in the last ten days. Sleeping has been the worst because when you wake up your throat is dried out and the pain is at a 15. I have not been able to eat anything. Popsicles and cold water have been it. Finally getting a little relief today, hoping I am turning the corner. I hope it is all worth it in the end because right now I do not think you could get me to do it again. Good luck to all of you having the same fun.

Comment from: rae, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My daughter had a tonsillectomy on 12/22. She has had all of the typical pain symptoms, etc., until yesterday. She developed swollen neck glands, intestinal issues, blackish/greenish diarrhea, and sometimes a nauseous feeling. She does not have a fever, she is urinating, and she is eating some and drinking fluids. The doctor's office is closed until 1/4 or I would call.

Comment from: Young Adult's Mom, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: January 05

I am writing this on behalf of my 22 year old son. Before he had his tonsils and adenoids removed almost 3 weeks ago, I read many posts of people's experiences and I was scared after reading about so many painful recoveries. But now that he is 95 percent healed, I decided to post about his experience that wasn't nearly as bad as some of what we expected. From the 1st time I saw him in the recovery room, he was talking (never lost his voice). He was sipping water and sucking ice immediately following surgery. The same night, he was eating yogurt and Jell-O. Days 2 to 4, he was still eating soft foods. He took medicines around the clock so the pain was always manageable. His nose would drip blood when going from sitting to standing position. By days 5 to 7, scabs were beginning to fall and the pain changed to more of a burning sensation. But he noticed that if he drank water (no Gatorade) and soft foods that were as bland as possible, the burning wasn't too bad. By day 8, he did not need to take any more pain medications. By the way, he didn't even need all of the pain medications that were prescribed. He was given 4 different meds and he has leftovers of all of them. He had a follow-up visit with doctor, who released him to go back to work (no lifting). By Christmas day (day 10), he ate almost everything that was on the menu. The meats were a bit challenging to swallow. But everything else was a breeze. At this point (day 19), he feels good enough to go back to the gym but is still waiting for 2nd follow-up visit to get clearance. So I hope that this post will ease the minds of some people. After reading from some women that childbirth was easier than having a tonsillectomy, I was ready to panic. But my son's experience wasn't nearly that difficult. My best advice is to stay on top of medicine.

Comment from: caseelynn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am 21 years old, and am on day 12 of my tonsillectomy recovery. Day 1 to 3 were fine for me, then when the scabs started to harden during days 4 to 8 it was extremely painful and I had no appetite. On day 8, I was taken by ambulance to the hospital as I was bleeding uncontrollably from one side of my mouth. They kept me overnight in observation saying that if it didn't stop bleeding, they would have to re-cauterize it. Thankfully, it clotted by itself, and I was released the next morning. After that, it was smooth sailing. My advice is to do exactly as directed by your doctor. Stay in bed for the full two weeks, drink lots of ice cold water, and try not to talk as much as possible. Just remember it is all worth it in the end!

Comment from: Relief, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I must be lucky, I rarely needed any pain relief other than Panadol and was able to eat almost everything after three days. I did get ear pain day 8 and increased throat issues until day 12, however I put that down to being stupid and going for a swim (as it is summer in Australia) on day 8 in a local pool, probably not the smartest thing to do. Headaches were a small part but I just made sure I drank at least 2 liters of water a day. I found ice cream didn't help nor did anything cold. I stuck to room temperature water, scrambled eggs on toast and soups. Managed a couple of pizza slices after 7 days too. My advice, force yourself to drink water. Good luck to all.

Comment from: Allisgood, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am on day 12 of tonsillectomy. Day 1 there was no sleep to be had because of drugs from surgery. Two Tylenol 3 tablets were taken every 4 hours as per doctor for first 4 days and then downgraded to 2 extra-strength Tylenol one hour before trying to eat. Ice water was a must around the clock. If I fell asleep for a few hours towards morning and the throat was very dry and not able to swallow then I would get directly in the shower and the steam would loosen up the throat. Cream of wheat made with water and a little brown sugar was my best friend for the first couple of days and it also does away with the constipation. A Popsicle was a must after each attempt to eat. Every day after day 4 was a better day. I have not had the scabbing fall off, which is actually cement painted on during surgery, it is just gradually fading away. The worst part of the whole surgery was the palate being so swollen that it caused sleep apnea. Use the ice packs and the ice water and the swelling goes down nicely. I was mentally prepared for much worse. I had the surgery on December 16th and spent December 24th and 25th preparing and enjoying Christmas with my family. I am on vacation, so nothing was going to hold me back. I am still not eating anything tomato based because it stings, but swallowing water and food was all back to normal by day 8 and 9, just nothing too scratchy yet (rice Krispies squares, pizza crust, etc., as per the doctor). Remember you need to keep your energy up by eating little bits of food as tolerated or the healing process is slowed down. Good Luck! I would have it done again in a minute. The road to get the doctor to agree was the longest because I am 52 years old. I had huge issues with my one tonsil, but nothing could be diagnosed until after surgery because there was an abscess hiding behind that tonsil. Both are gone now and I look forward to life without a sore throat and low grade fever all of the time.

Comment from: Caoimhe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I got my tonsillectomy on the 18th of December 2015. Days 1 and 2 were a piece of cake for me, I think I was so drugged up from the constant flow of drugs in the hospital and medication at home that nothing would have stopped me. Day 3 is when it all started to go downhill, when I say I was in pain I was on codeine tablets and crying twice a day. I was put on stronger tablets which then made me sick. My tongue was extremely swollen as well as my throat of course, and I was lucky to be able to drink water. Days 4 and 5 were the same, day 5 supposedly being the worst but when you feel that pain everyday feels the same. I was starving and barely able to swallow scrambled egg, all you want to do is sleep but dread waking up for the simple fact your mouth and throat have dried out. Day 6 I didn't wake up in pain and could actually talk. I am still taking my medication but I'm trying to swap codeine for aspirin. It is day 7 since the day I actually went for my operation and I don't want to speak too soon but I feel like a new person. I woke up with no pain this morning and was actually able to eat my Christmas dinner. I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the day so I don't cause anymore irritation but if I feel like this tomorrow I'll be a happy woman! Felt like I've been sick about 3 or 4 weeks now and it is only the end of the first week so be prepared for a long recovery if you're going to go through with this, as I'm still not back in work for another 2 weeks. All I will say is you will need someone to help you, and you must drink a lot of water. I've been getting constant care from my mam and she's been helping with me everything.

Comment from: Erikka90, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Okay, let me be the person to assure you that not everyone has a terrible time! I am 25 and had my tonsils removed on December 17 (that's right, over Christmas). Day of surgery went smoothly, I had enough pain when I was in recovery to ask for IV pain medications. I was supposed to stay overnight in the hospital, that wasn't going to happen, so I left the hospital around suppertime and went home to my own bed! Day 1, I slept a lot, by sleep I mean waking every 20 minutes to drink water; you must hydrate! Super important! I took Tylenol 3 (2 tabs every 3 hours) for pain management. I honestly didn't like how it felt to eat popsicles, so I didn't. I drank room temperature water, tried some soup broth. I had nausea on day 2 and vomited twice. Day 3, I had same amount of pain, like a 3 or 4 on scale to 10. Mostly the sides of my tongue and definitely my ears hurt. End of day 3 I stopped taking the Tylenol 3 because I thought maybe that was why I was vomiting, and it worked. I now just take Tylenol 1 (over the counter product in Canada). Day 4 to day 7 I ate Kraft dinner, blueberry muffins from Tim's, Lipton Cup of Soup, and Alphagetti (although the tomato sauce was irritating), and I attended my husband's hockey game (day 5). Sometimes my pain was a 0 or a 1, when I swallowed it turned into a 2. Not bad at all. Day 7 was Christmas Eve; I ate a little potatoes and gravy, stuffing, carrots, turkey was hard but I ate a bite or two. I even ate some cherry cheesecake! All the while drinking massive amounts of water to get all the food down! Day 8 is today, it is Christmas! My tongue is the worst, feels like someone took a bite out of the back of it and it is sore down the sides, my ears hurt but what else is new, and still pain remains at a 1 or 2. I ate basically the same as day 7, added on a shortbread cookie! Overall this experience hasn't been as awful as everyone described it to be, my pain has been minimal except for when I wake up. I just drink a bunch of sips of water and it alone reduces the pain back down, pop a Tylenol 1 and I'm fine in 10 minutes. I keep on top of the medications, I sleep with a humidifier as well!

Comment from: TJH, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am a 20 year old girl, who is on day 5 of her tonsillectomy recovery and have found the whole process to be incredibly surprising (not in a good way) and painful! I went to my doctor today because the pain had been getting so intense that I couldn't eat food, swallow medicines, talk or even drink water at points. Now I am on the hard stuff (codeine tablets and others) the pain is a lot more bearable but I have noticed a rather annoying side-effect; bad breath! I guess it's understandable that bad breath would occur due to the healing wounds and horrible icky white scars at the back of my throat, but no matter how many times I brush my teeth, chew gum or rinse with antiseptic mouthwash, the smell is never gone for long. I guess I am just hoping that others have had the bad breath issue before and can tell me it goes away after a while!

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I am 58 and had the tonsillectomy procedure 4 days ago. I can feel the swollen tissue but dare not look after seeing my 16 year old daughter's last year. It was nasty and I'll pass out if I see that in my mouth. I itched for 3 days after seeing that in her throat. I took Lortab on schedule every four hours until today so pain was minimal except for a brief second of burning when swallowing it. I ate ice cream, Popsicle, cold juices, etc. But Ramen noodles were fabulous today! I also had potato soup and well done broccoli. Even with the medicines I could not sleep! I propped up on pillows but if I lay back the swollen tissue would collapse and feel like a balloon. I laid on my side and leaned my head forward for a few moments of stolen shut eye. But soon all the gurgling would wake me again. I'm sleepy and dizzy from this crazy narcotics. It has been about 6 hours and no pain. I'm aiming for some sleep tonight so I'm going back with the medicines. My tongue does seem swollen. I think it has been since the surgery but I never noticed until now. The years of tonsil stones were horrible. I think the surgery was worth it. And on this Friday, I plan to eat a small piece of Christmas ham!

Comment from: Far, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I suffered from chronic tonsillitis all my life. I had to get the surgery done now, it was high time. I had read that it is going to be too much painful, but the tonsil aches were so much painful and frequent (it was always pain, only sometimes I was free of pain, sometimes!) that I had to take the decision of undergoing the surgery. First 3 or 4 days were extremely painful and every morning when I woke up, I felt the pain was only increasing. But after 4 or 5 days of the surgery, the pain started to reduce and I noticed I could swallow without much pain. But after the 5th/6th day, the pain looks different. It feels like I have my tonsils again. Everyone in the family is laughing at me when I say this, but I feel the exact pain which I've always felt with my tonsils. How on earth it is possible, I don't know. I'm on the 11th day today and lost. Let's hope this is also just a part of recovering and that the pain will be over soon. Good luck everyone.

Comment from: Hlh77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I'm a 38 year old woman who really didn't have throat problems until about 5 months ago when I had recurring strep for 4 months straight. Obviously it was time to do something. I read a lot of testimonials about other people's experiences and am so glad I did; otherwise I wouldn't have been prepared on what to do. So here were some things that were helpful for me. Wake up every 30 to 60 minutes to drink or suck on ice. Your throat will thank you. Eat warm liquid Jell-O, sounds weird, but tastes yummy and coats the throat beautifully. I found that frozen things actually hurt me a little, so warm liquids were my best friends. Take it easy. I know this is an outpatient surgery and most people think this is minor, but you need to rest up. The pain medicines caused serious constipation issues so try to stay ahead of that if you have issues with that. The doctors can give you some advice of what to use. When my ears started hurting (because they probably will) a heating pad became my other best friend. My pain has been lasting longer than some of the other people's, but it is less on day 14.

Comment from: Taylor, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

Day 1 to 3 after tonsillectomy are difficult because you're so clogged up and swollen. Also you're still getting rid of the drugs from surgery, your uvula will be swollen so sleeping will be difficult. I woke up with massive night sweats on these three nights. By day 3, I still couldn't eat anything. Eating something and swallowing that often was like torturing myself. Easily a 10/10 pain eating. Day 4 to 6 I seemed to get better. Pain subsided, I was able to drink well and eat soft things on these days. I stopped taking morphine on day 5. Day 6 and 7 were bad again. I felt like I have open cuts on the back on my tongue. The roof of my mouth is in excruciating pain, my ears are throbbing and are very sensitive to noise. I cannot talk again and my throat gets dry very quickly. Tomorrow is day 8. If you want some advice, do the following from day one. Gargle gently twice a day with warm salt water. Sleep with a humidifier. Don't talk. Keep your mouth closed as long as you can. Constantly drink water. Literally all the time. Just sip. Don't try and look at your throat. All the best.

Comment from: annamaria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I suffered from tonsil stones for around two years. I was fed up of chewing gum, not being able to speak to anyone up close, and not kissing, so I had my tonsils taken out a week ago today. Yesterday was my worst day. Pain under my ears and on the roof of my mouth inside was excruciating. But it can be controlled if you take your medicines religiously. It does seem like a lot of medicines on an empty stomach but I am taking them. Day one I stayed overnight in the clinic, mainly slept and threw up brown blood; not much pain but I was on a drip of pain medicines and antibiotics. Day two I came home, and not much pain. I was sipping water all day and alarm clock on every 4 hours for pain medicines; I take Panadol extra. On day three and four I started eating toast, mash, had a bite of burger I was so hungry, and was feeling good. I was still on pain medicines religiously. Day five pain started getting worse. I looked in my mouth also and was grossed out; white back of throat and black lines. I am not sure if they were stitches but this black stringy thing came out of my mouth as I was drinking. I also have a lot of mucus in my nose which I am dying to spit out but so as not to strain my throat I am just swallowing. Today I can also feel stiches or something scratchy every time I swallow. Day six and seven, today and yesterday have been my worst days so far. I have started taking Nurofen too as well as Panadol. So every two hours I take some sort of pain medicine as it got really bad. Today day seven I am feeling a bit better, kind of like day four. I hope this means I am on the road to recovery. I am really tired of being at home in pajamas. I could speak from the first day but have been resting my voice so as not to strain the area. I am also not allowed to lift things. I had read a lot of forums before having this tonsillectomy. They all seem pretty right. You feel bad, then better, then really, really bad. Then hopefully it is over. I have two weeks off work so hopefully will be ok by then. On the upside I have lost weight; just in time to eat all I want for Christmas! My tummy is constantly rumbling but I am not really in a mood to eat. If like me you had stinky tonsil stones, I think it is worth a few days or even weeks of pain to get rid of them. I am happy I did it despite all the pain yesterday. Good luck to all.

Comment from: S2s45, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

Here is my update. I am on day 9 after tonsillectomy surgery. Part of my scab came off after coughing too much and I went to the emergency room. I am lucky it doesnt have to be re-cauterized. The pain is still in the jaw and ear but not also the top of my mouth. I still have swelling primarily next to my tongue which makes eating difficult. I barely eat at all. Normally it is a few bites of something and I am done. My diet of water and Gatorade works for me. I finally follow up with my ENT tomorrow. I am ready for this to be over. I have had chunky ice cream, sushi, and meatloaf cravings for a long time. I am hoping to eat food tonight. I just hope I am done hurting.

Comment from: S2s45, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Update on my tonsillectomy; yesterday was the worst day so far. The ear pain started and I am dependent on my medications, especially now at 4 am. Problem is, liquid Norco burns. It is worth it though. I have used the ice packs around my neck much better. I am still talking, my family is too impatient to let me write anything. I am also very hungry. I know the pain will only get worse. I don't know if I am even healing properly. Thank goodness I have two weeks off. I will keep posting as days go on.

Comment from: S2s45, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am 25, almost 26 in less than a month. After many years with gigantic tonsils and this past year being rather difficult and cutting off my air supply, I had my tonsils removed on 11.3.15. Day one was a late surgery, minimal pain and I had to stay overnight due to possible sleep apnea. I have been taking my liquid Norco which burns and my antibiotics. Day two was also easy but long. I was very tired the whole day and coughed up some blood clots but I was able to talk still since day 1. Day three is today. A little harder to talk. I can feel the scabs starting. I made the mistake of looking at my throat. I don't have a weak stomach but goodness, it looked nasty. I am taking it easy. I am on all liquids. I am not looking forward to major scab days.

Comment from: Jadehawk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I am 37 years old and had my tonsillectomy surgery on October 28, 2015. I am on day 8 of recovery. The pain is worse than any tonsillitis attack I have experienced so far, I have an attack at least 4 or 5 times a year (since I was 5 years old), and only antibiotics did anything to treat them; and the last year only by injection (pills no longer worked). I finally found a doctor who agreed to do my surgery and I said it can't be that bad. I was wrong, it is that bad. Pain from a scale of 1 to 10 will be a 10 to 13, especially after you sleep, you will wake up and feel razor blades on your throat. I am on 3 pills of Percocet 5 mg/325 mg every 6 hours. I originally was on one pill every 4 hours but my doctor changed it after my wife called the 3rd day and told him I had not had one hour of sleep and that I was still awake and in pain. Three pills did the trick a little. It takes 1 hour for them to take effect and at the 1 hour mark you have about 15 minutes where you can attempt to eat and drink something. I read that ice water helps but in my case anything super cold made it worse. Ice packs do work, they calm you down once you place them around your neck. I use them daily. My tongue hurts just as bad as my throat, I do not know why. Maybe they used a clamp during surgery. This makes it even worse when trying to eat. If you decide to do this surgery have ice packs at home, make sure nothing you eat has any salt! It does not matter how little you will notice it. Good luck. Will I have done it if I knew it was this bad? Yes, no matter what, 2 or 3 weeks of this will be better than a lifetime of on and off tonsillitis attacks.

Comment from: Cassie119300, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 21 soon to be 22 and I had my tonsillectomy today. I am running on 5 hours of sleep and still haven't felt the need to sleep yet. I was very nervous about this surgery for a month straight but it all happened so fast. They gave me something to make me slightly woozy and the last thing I remember was them hooking up those heart monitor stickies, I must have passed out right after. I awoke in recovery feeling no sorer than a little sore throat, there was a nurse there who handed me an ice pack and checked my vitals. My eyes were a little heavy, but I realized I could talk. Then I could keep my eyes open and 20 minutes later I was taken back to my room. Back in the room they had me eat a Popsicle (blueberry), let me drink some water, and made sure I urinated okay. They had me sign some papers and I was all good to go, they even gave me the ice pack. I am on all liquid medicine. I am currently taking Tylenol 500, a bubblegum flavored amoxicillin, and hydrocodone. I am only to use the hydrocodone as needed and so far so good on the Tylenol. I am also using a Vicks cool mist vaporizer with aromatherapy, it works very nice. The only downside so far for me at least is feeling phlegmy, and having an itchy throat here and there. Though, I stopped smoking cigarettes as of last night, and have cough some times since surgery. Upon waking up I began coughing but the nurse said it was from smoking. I try and cough as gentle as I can but when I do it is not the end of the world. It doesn't hurt badly and I am doing great. I have eaten baby cereal, baby food, popsicles, slushies, Gatorade, chunk baby jar food, and had water. I will update soon. Good luck to those who were as nervous as I. I'm still nervous but for me the worst part was not knowing what I was waking up to. But I am nowhere near as nervous as before it is finally done with. I had zero nausea.

Comment from: kbellsss, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I am 24 years old and had my tonsillectomy on October 6, 2015. My pain level after surgery was about a 6 even after the medicine. I was able to eat Jell-O and drink ice water but I was not really craving much post-surgery anyway. The first 3 or 4 days, I was able to eat and drink most things. It hurt, but was not too bad. The worst of the pain was the ear aches and headaches as opposed to throat pain. I thought I was invincible and returned back to work in less than a week. By the start of the second week (once the steroids were gone), I was dying! I could not eat, drink or swallow without being in excruciating pain. I had to take on and just rest. It is day 13, pain level is a 3, 5 when I eat sometimes. I have my follow up appointment tomorrow. I am hoping I will be back to normal soon.

Comment from: Zainab, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I thought tonsillectomy is an easy and slight harmless procedure. But goodness, I was wrong. The first four days were the worst, I couldn't eat, drink or even swallow my own spit. On day 4 I finally started swallowing my spit, and I have to say that was the best decision ever. Now I can sleep easily and not worried about spitting after every few minutes. It is day 7 and I'm still in pain and I have lost 4 pounds because I can't eat anything.

Comment from: JoSo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 60 year old female who should have had tonsillectomy done when I was a kid! Main reason for surgery was tonsil stones with sore throat. Today is day 6 and I am still taking painkillers every 5 to 6 hours, mostly Tylenol 3 with codeine. It hurts to talk and swallow. I'm still on soft cool, or cold foods and no scabs have fallen off. If it is an 11 day turnaround, I can't wait to wake up on day 11. My throat and tongue are swollen to the point where I can't even see back there, which is worse than yesterday. I hope it is worth it when I am healed up!

Comment from: sandra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am on day 7 of my tonsillectomy. I am dying. I have had good days and bad. The worst is getting up in the morning and dealing with my kids. I cannot talk and I have 2 small children that need constant direction. I am starving. I was told I could eat soft foods on the day after but I can barely eat a thing. Not only does my throat hurt, the back of my tongue hurts. It feels like it has been chewed up. I ate scrambled eggs on day 2 and tried again on day 3 and 4 and could not eat them. I have been living off popsicles, Jell-O, chicken broth, and tea. I manage to get a couple bites of this or that down from time to time but if it doesn't hurt, it burns. Sometimes even the popsicles burn. This morning I had applesauce and it burned. I dread sleeping. I set alarms on my phone to get up and at least take a sip of something. I was told using a humidifier would help. I believe it has some. I have had some awful drainage since the surgery. That caused me to miss some sleep. Every time I dozed off I would wake up not being able to breathe. I was told to steer away from dairy as it would cause mucus and coughing. I cannot have coffee or anything with flavor. Heartburn and reflux are enemy number 1. I have had small fever here and there and times of utter fatigue. I am back at work but only because I do bookkeeping. I am hiding in my office away from everyone.

Comment from: Mimc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had the tonsillectomy surgery on September 29th. I was super worried because of what I read about the recovery and what my doctor said about it also. Days 1 and 2 for me were not bad at all, lots of soft foods but was able to talk with ease and really no pain! I was taking 1/2 a Percocet every 3 hours for pain instead of a full one because I don't do well with them! Well, days 3 until now which is day 8, it's gotten worse and worse! The pain is absolutely horrible and it's a challenge to swallow without bad pain! My ears are killing me. I'm sleeping maybe 2 hours maximum at a time and making sure I keep it wet with ice water! Today is my 1 week checkup so I will post how the next few days go! I can't wait until this is done because it really is awful!

Comment from: VDuncs, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am currently on day 11 of recovery. I just wanted to say how convinced I was after reading endless accounts on sites such as this about how bad tonsillectomy recoveries were that I was in for a lot of pain. But fortunately, I experienced very low levels of pain (far less pain than I would have with a normal spout of tonsillitis). I would rate it a 4/10 on the worst days. So there is hope for those expecting to get one that it may go smoothly. Maybe I am just lucky, but I think eating as normally as you can, and taking your painkillers religiously are the best tips I can give you.

Comment from: Debbie C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had my tonsillectomy on September 25. It was done by the tissue welding technique. I was kept in the hospital overnight and kept on IV fluid and given liquid Tylenol every 4 hours and morphine upon request. I took the morphine twice during the hospital stay. Not because I was in pain but because I was afraid not to and have the pain that everyone speaks of. I got up in the morning and was able to eat some eggs and oatmeal. I have been able to eat a soft diet and drink everyday with no pain. I have also been taking amoxicillin 3 times a day since the surgery. I am now on day 8. I had no swelling. The second day my ears were throbbing a little when lying flat but went away if I stayed elevated. While on hydrocodone I felt no pain at all. I have been sleeping all night since the surgery. I took the medication along with anti-nausea medicine for the first 6 days although I think I could have gotten by with over the counter Tylenol but didn't want to chance it. I have been off all medication for the past 2 days except for the antibiotic and only feel a very mild sore throat when swallowing. I do get a little tickle every once in a while and ice chips help with that. It does hurt to yawn but overall it has been a very easy recovery. After reading the horror stories, I cancelled my surgery that I was supposed to have last year. I researched this technique and contacted Microline to find surgeons that used this procedure. They were extremely helpful. I did have to travel 2.5 hours but was able to have my consultation and pre-operation procedure on the same day. I hope this has been helpful.

Comment from: turtle2, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am 22 and on day 7 of my recovery. Tonsillectomy recovery was so much worse than I could have ever imagined. I could eat a little the first few days, soup, ice cream etc. Then the pain became so intense I couldn't eat anything for the rest of the time. I felt so sick threw up 3 times on day 4. I had hunger pain, ear pain, head pain, neck and throat pain. So on day 7 I am waiting for scabs to hopefully fall off. I am still in pain but actually able to function this morning. I hope it is over soon. Nothing helps and nothing makes it easier. Good luck to anyone else reading all these posts wondering when you will get better.

Comment from: Lulu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am on day 5 after tonsillectomy and I have not experienced much pain. As soon as I woke after the operation I drank iced water and ate a baked potato and some yogurt. My throat felt sore but I was able to eat and went home and had chips and a glass of red wine. I only took paracetamol every 6 hours, slept slightly elevated. I thought I would be in a lot more pain, when I have had tonsillitis the pain has been so much worse. I am now on day 5 and my throat feels nearly healed, I can feel the scabs at the back of my throat but I think I will be ok in a day or two. I am so glad I had my tonsils removed, after suffering tonsillitis 5 times this year my suffering will finally be over. Don't fear this operation, it is the best thing I ever did. Just constantly drink iced water even through the night and eat as much as you can and you will be fine.

Comment from: phillyman2344, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I had my tonsillectomy surgery on 9/21/15. The first 3 days were pretty easy with some pain reaching a high of 6 out of 10. I was prescribed 5 mg of Oxycontin and this managed the pain pretty well taking 1 or 2 pills every 4 hours. Day 5 my first scab fell off in the lower part of my throat and the pain has got significantly worse. Day 6 the scab on the other side of my lower throat fell off leaving only the 2 upper scabs left. In days 5 to 8 I have had significant pain especially in the middle of the night. Lucky for me I haven't had any nausea and have been eating as much as possible. Drinking lots and lot of fluids has helped. My goal over the next few days is to get off the Oxycontin and use it sparingly until I get through these last couple of days. From what I have read it seems like day 11 is the turning point.

Comment from: inpain, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I am a 22 year old female. I had my tonsillectomy 3 days ago. I have to admit this is worse than I thought it would be. The first day was terrible, after I woke up, my throat felt so dry and sore and was in so much pain that they gave me 10 mg morphine and some painkillers. The morphine kicked in right away and helped a lot! I felt so good. But oh man, do I regret saying yes to the morphine! After a few hours I felt so nauseous, and pretty much threw up from 8 pm until 6 am every 15 minutes. Since I could not eat anything because of the pain and nausea, I pretty much threw up stomach acid and blood the whole time. I spent the night at the hospital so the nurses gave me all sorts of medicine for pain and nausea but nothing helped. When the nausea finally stopped I had a few hours of sleep. Day 2 the nausea had stopped but the pain was very bad, I slept through the whole day and only woke up to drink and take the pain medicine. I am now on day 3 and the pain is pretty intense, I normally have a very high pain tolerance, but this is like nothing I've tried before. I've cried from pain already 2 times just today and from what I can see the next days will only get worse! I drink a lot of water all the time even though it hurts a lot. So yeah I'm expecting the worse and hoping for the best.

Comment from: Kellie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I mean, it's not easy. But it's definitely worth it! I had tonsil stones, and frequent tonsillitis. Day 1 to 3 of tonsillectomy recovery were great. Just felt like a little tonsillitis. Day 4 got worse, then day 5 to day 11 were extremely painful. The mornings are the worst, the best thing to do is have your tablets, have some jelly then 1 small dry biscuit. This lifts the scabs then you feel much better for the rest of the day. Keep the medicines up. My jaw really hurt, and ice packs helped that a lot. Good luck! I didn't vomit, but at one stage I felt very nauseous (empty stomach and constant medication don't mix well), I just had an anti-nauseous tablet and was ok. I could hardly eat (was very hungry) and didn't talk for about 2 weeks. Even though it's a good excuse to eat ice cream, don't. Dairy creates phlegm, and phlegm makes you want to clear your throat. Not a good idea (I learnt this as I am a singing teacher). It's very hard, and frustrating, but I have found it is worth it. Good luck!

Comment from: Whitneyg23, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

Today is my third day of having my tonsil removed, I never thought the pain would be so bad. No matter how many videos I watched and googled information about tonsillectomy nothing prepared me for this pain. My uvula is very much swollen with white coating around it. Nothing I drink or eat makes my throat feel any better. I can barely open my mouth and my jaws, and my neck is in so much pain. And to make it worse my breath is horrible. I don't know about anybody else but I also had some nasal surgery so I'm also coughing up mucus on a sore throat and scabs from my mouth. I didn't think I would see scabs this early but I'm happy. Doctor told me to be prepared because it will get worse after the third day; I'm not too good with pain so let's see. I just really have been in bed since the surgery on September 14, 2015, sleeping on and off. Well, hope I help the ones that are thinking about getting this surgery or already have gotten it. It's a struggle but it's worth it at the end; I feel like a can breathe a lot better now.

Comment from: Labnjab, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Today is day 1 for me after tonsillectomy. My surgery went well yesterday. I got to the hospital by 11:35 and had to wait a good 15 minutes or so. Then I got taken back to a room with my mom. I got asked a ton of questions, then more nurses and the anesthesiologist came by and then the ENT preforming the surgery. They had me urinate in a cup, change into the hospital gown and slipper socks and then put on IV. I must have been asked why I was there and told what was being done at least 5 times. A male nurse wheeled me into the operation room then got I moved onto the operating table and my legs were strapped down. I did not like that too much. Then I heard them record I was there for PE (pressure equalization) tubes in my ears and a tonsillectomy. They put probes on an oxygen mask that I knew was medicines since it smelled like vanilla. The male nurse whispered I soon won't feel like myself and all of a sudden I woke up in recovery with ear pain which they didn't warn me about. They asked my pain level which I said was an 8 so they pumped more medicines and I for some reason wanted apple juice. Then I got half an orange Popsicle. Pain went down to a 4 and then I was wheeled back to my original room and saw it was 2:10 pm. I overheard I was given 3 different anti-nausea medications and some pain medicine that started with a D and morphine. Then since I said my pain was a 5 they had me take liquid Tylenol and 1 oxycodone and then get out of the chair 30 minutes later since I was down to a 2 in pain level. I kept walking around yesterday and talked my mom and husband's ear off. I was feeling very energized. I must have had 4 bottles of water and a little Gatorade. Sleeping was the worst especially since I didn't know I had to sleep elevated and every time I would slip down I couldn't breathe due to my swollen uvula. Today is day 1 and the pain isn't too bad. My voice is not like yesterday but I knew it would go away. I have had 3 bottles of water, some instant breakfast and some grape juice. I will update more as the week goes on.

Comment from: Snapper, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I am now 17 days post tonsillectomy. This recovery is not easy. I am from the UK and we are advised to eat hard foods to help the healing process. Day 1 to 10 were hard, lack of sleep and pain, the best thing I can advise anyone is to eat and eat. I eat porridge, then lunch on soup and bread, dinner was egg mash, and snack was toast. I also eat a big bar of chocolate. Yes, the pain was incredible when eating but the reward was being able to take medicines and no sore stomach. Also because of hard foods I was able to eat any food without pain after day 11. Yes it's because I ate every day through horrific pain but the result is good. I went back to work on day 12 and lowered my medicines; wee bit of a set back from day 15, really tired throat and throwing up. I have over done it a bit, I should have taken the full 14 days off and just rested. So onwards and upwards, will post on day 24. Good luck all.

Comment from: angangel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am 20 years old. I had my tonsillectomy surgery on 8/6/15. This is awful. I've been struggling with tonsillitis for the past three years and decided to get them out. I can't swallow or eat. Drinking kills. Chewing kills. My painkillers make me so unbelievably nauseous I feel like vomiting constantly. This is the worst pain I've ever felt.

Comment from: guest1994, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 21 years old and had my tonsillectomy last Thursday. When I woke up from the operation I felt excruciating pain, so I was given the maximum dose of morphine, which calmed me down a lot and helped relax me. I was kept in hospital overnight which I was grateful for as I woke up in the middle of the night in more pain, and the doctor gave me more morphine, and oxygen tube (as she said I was having a panic attack from the pain) and some intravenous anti-inflammatory drugs. I wasn't able to get back to sleep but I felt a lot better; pain medicines are your best friend! I am now on day 5 of recovery, and this morning I woke up in the most pain I have been in so far. I have barely been able to eat a thing, sticking to ice cream, yoghurt, soup and jelly, and tiny portions at that. I know I need to eat, as I'm taking codeine four times a day, but it's so incredibly painful to swallow that I'm barely eating enough for one meal throughout the entire day. I can definitively say that drinking water helps you feel a million percent better. I didn't realize that it was a dry throat at night that made the pain so severe in the mornings, but now I keep water by my bed and drink it whenever I wake up, which is several times throughout the night. I also slept with a fan on for the first few nights, as that is what I normally do at home, but this obviously dehydrates you and I have slept slightly better since realizing this and turning off the fan. I am hoping that the pain will not exceed much more than its current level, being on day 5, but I know that the next five days are going to be pretty much unbearable and am not looking forward to them at all. Though I should probably start weaning myself off the codeine, I can't bear to do it just yet, and I'm going to wait for day 8/9 when hopefully most of the scabs will have fallen off and the pain should start to decrease. Good luck to anyone going through this recovery, it's honestly so much worse than I had anticipated but the prospect of not having recurrent tonsillitis several times a month and the weight loss from my inability to eat anything are getting me through the pain!

Comment from: 1941, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am on week 2 of recovery from tonsillitis. I am wondering if I smell odd because of the medicines. I guess so thanks to someone on here with same condition. I am a 74 year female and had a large infected looking tonsil. It turns out not a tumor (I had both removed). My breath is improved. I had to go back the same day for a second surgery to stop a serious bleed. I wonder why the Lortab Elixir hurt worse than anything! But it did make it easier to swallow food. I haven't had bad pain after the Lortab worked. I am off it now as it made me goofy. I'm just weak and have no energy but don't expect that to last much longer. Doctor says recovery takes 4 weeks.

Comment from: sunny1ne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had my tonsillectomy last Tuesday, so I'm on day 6 of my recovery. I had to ask my doctor for a stronger medication for pain on Thursday, since the liquid acetaminophen with codeine was not helping much. I'm now taking hydrocodone with acetaminophen and it definitely helps with the pain, although it causes me to feel nauseous. I'm having a lot of ear pain and my tongue is still sore. In the past couple of days, I noticed that ice pops and anything really cold now hurts my throat. I'm drinking tea and eating more soup to soothe my throat. Long story short, halfway you may have to make some adjustments to your recovery routine.

Comment from: Lynne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm 36 years old and on day 5 after having my tonsillectomy. The day of the operation was easy, I had no problems. I woke up feeling a bit of an irritated throat but nothing serious. I had lunch and some juice, no problems. Day 2 and 3 were ok, yes, a bit of pain and some constipation from the medicines. In the evening of Day 3 I had a terrible experience. I coughed in the kitchen and suddenly my mouth was full of blood, I spat it into the kitchen sink and then started gagging and vomiting blood and pieces of flesh/scabs, who knows what! This went on for ages and there was so much blood and guts in the sink. My husband raced me to the emergency room and they said the bleeding had stopped and it was perfectly normal to experience that. My ENT doctor only said there might be some bleeding and as long as it stops it is fine. It was a scary experience and I really think they should have told me something like that could happen. It was disgusting. Day 4 and 5 have been terrible. I can't eat and I can barely even get water down. Any food I do manage to eat seems to get stuck in the wounds and I can't get it out which is really disgusting too. Until I gag on it a while after eating and manage to spit it out. My throat, ears, jaw and neck are sore. I am at a big disadvantage here too being a drug addict and alcoholic in recovery. The medication I can take is very limited. I can't have any 'good stuff' like codeine or morphine, just paracetamol which barely makes a difference. I've heard a few people say days 5 to 7 are the worst. Here's hoping the worst days hurry up and move on.

Comment from: zooroo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had my tonsils out on June 22 after suffering from chronic strep/tonsillitis for about 12 years. I am currently on day 8 post-tonsillectomy and figured I would share my experience as I found this thread helpful during my recovery. I'm currently 19 (20 next month) and am female. My surgeon used the cauterization method to remove my tonsils. Immediately following the procedure, I had minimal pain-due to strong pain medications. I was given two prescriptions: one for Percocet and one for an antibiotic. The first two days after surgery were not that bad. I mainly stuck to popsicles, Freezies, and ice cream. On the third day I was very nauseous and was sick multiple times, so I've been taking anti-nausea medications every 4 hours with my pain medicine since and the nausea is gone. Days 4 to 7, my pain was very bad. I found that my medicine was barely touching the pain and I could barely eat. I had some bleeding on day 6 but it stopped on its own. Nights were definitely the worst pain-wise. Today (day 8), I feel much better than yesterday. During the day, I have only used Tylenol for my pain and I have been eating soft foods. I find that my pain gets worse at night so I am taking Percocet tonight for hopefully the last night. Some tips I would share: set alarms at night for medication, you will wake up in pain throughout the night if you don't. Drink lots of water and try and swallow through the pain. Avoid all dairy products to avoid excessive phlegm. Take anti-nausea medicine when taking strong pain medicines. I also used a humidifier in my room to help keep the air moist because dryness hinders healing. Now that I am (hopefully) through the worst of the recovery, I hope that I won't be sick as often! I've already noticed how much easier it is to breathe with them gone (mine were huge). It took me a lot longer to bounce back than my younger brothers who were back to normal after about 4 days, but I finally feel like I'm on the home stretch! Good luck to everyone else with their surgeries and recoveries.

Comment from: Hendo h., Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had my tonsils removed yesterday, 26 June, 2015. I am able to take down plenty of water, and small amounts of soft food like broth and Jell-O. My problem is sleeping. I lie slightly reclined back in my recliner after taking my medicines, but as I fall asleep I feel like I'm choking and it wakes me up. I get about 30 minutes of sleep, wake up and drink water, spit out the excess saliva and try again with the same results. I'll never recover if I can't sleep. I know my tongue and uvula are still swollen, and it is awful! I feel like I'm back in Iraq, on pins and needles all the time.

Comment from: Stef_Ann92, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I just had surgery yesterday for the removal of my tonsils and adenoids. Today is basically day 2 of recovery after tonsillectomy. I'm 20 years old, and I have to say, take the medicines the doctor gives you. The pain is really bad, my uvula is incredibly huge, I can barely swallow water or watered down baby food. Hopefully swelling goes down soon and the pain dies down. Drink a lot of water and get plenty of rest.

Comment from: Shy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

This forum helped me a lot while I was/am recovering from tonsillectomy, so therefore I thought I'd talk about my experience. I'm a 20 year old male, huge into exercising, and I love to eat. Today marks day 10 of my surgery, and boy, were the past week and a half awful up until yesterday! Day 1 (after the surgery), I had no pain up until night time, where I woke up multiple times due to dry throat and inability to swallow. I barely ate the first day, I had all popsicles. Day 2, awful. A lot of pain, scabs began forming, I couldn't even down a smoothie or a popsicle without being in a sharp type of pain. Day 3 to 5 where all the same, painful to eat and waking up multiple times in the middle of the night. I had a slight bleeding in the back of my throat on day 4 due to just too much exercise I guess (walking around too quickly), but if that happens just gargle with ice water and put an ice pack on your neck. Day 6, I started feeling better, day 7 I had a little bit of a relapse with minor pain, then day 8 I was finally able to start talking again and functioning and eating more than I was able to. Day 9 and day 10 have been the best so far, mild sore throat, no more pain killers. My best advice for everyone, drink a lot of water, chew on a lot of ice (constantly had ice in my mouth), constantly have an ice pack on your neck to keep the swelling down, and honestly force feed yourself because you are going to lose a lot of weight (I lost 12 pounds of muscle that took a while to gain). Just know that when the pain gets to its worse, that's when you'll start feeling better the next day. Get this done sooner rather than later if you're debating it, because the older you get, the longer and harder it is. I took 2 weeks off from work as well for the recovery, I thought before maybe I would need one week but I was wrong, you definitely need more than 7 days to recover. Good luck!

Comment from: michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I had my tonsils and tissue remaining from adenoids on Friday, June 5, 2015. I stated reading all these forums before and was about to cancel my surgery. I get strep at least 4 times a year and have tonsil stones. All I can say is drink and drink. I swear cold water and tons of it is the key. I started drinking nonstop as soon as I got home. I tried Gatorade but it didn't taste good. I think worse part was drinking the antibiotic, it tastes so bad. I only took 3 pain pills, one each Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night. Not because I was in pain but I was afraid to wake in pain. I only take children's Tylenol and I didn't even take today. I am so happy I didn't experience what other people have. I am certain it was due to all the fluid. Yes, I have a sore throat but that's expected. . I'm still not talking because it feels like it strains my throat. Just the same as when you have a bad sore throat I have been drinking chicken broth, butternut squash soup and tons of ice pops. I tried yogurt but it made me so phlegmy. Let's hope it gets better each day. I did make the mistake of cooking and please don't do the same, it made me very nauseous. Today I had eggs and they were yummy. Please just drink a lot, it seems to be the key. Sleep with your head propped up. Do not look at your throat, it is horrible to look at.

Comment from: Simon, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I'm 39 year old male and had my tonsils out 3 weeks ago now. The recovery from tonsillectomy is very painful, and I still have a mild soreness when swallowing and my voice isn't itself, sounds clammy. The hospital gave me a sandwich to eat straight after the operation, which was no fun! I enjoyed eating ice cream most as it goes down well, is cold and tastes nice. Water with ice too and porridge made with water. Avoid tomatoes! And make sure you take all the painkillers they give you. Don't be a warrior with the medicines, food or exercise, do as the doctor says. I heard of a friend's friend who went for a walk on day 2 and had a hemorrhage and nearly died from it; low risk of this I'm sure, but take it easy!

Comment from: missyhaze, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am 24 years old and had tonsillectomy done approximately 12 days ago. I'm not going to sugar coat it; this was the worst pain I have ever experienced. But I am sure it will be worth not having strep throat numerous times a year and the amount of work I was missing because of it. I highly suggest having someone to look after you for the first 3 days. I live alone and was lucky to have my mother fly down for days 1 to 3. Also, it is important that they start you off on your medication schedule since you will be out of it. It is super important that you chart your medicine. You don't want to end up taking too much and ultimately get sick and throw up from doing so. Go shopping several days prior to your surgery. Things I was able to eat were tapioca pudding, Ensure (important for nutrients), applesauce, Jell-O, lots of Gatorade, Odwalla or Naked smoothie drinks, etc. Do not drink anything acidic, and stay away from dairy, it will cause you to produce more mucus and want to swallow more. After about day 5, I suggest drinking warm chicken broth to help with the scabs. Days 1 to 3: Pain level was at about a 6 out of 10. This is because most of the anesthesia is still in your body. Don't let this fool you. Days 4 to 7: The absolute worst of recovery. Your scabs will start to fall off here. Make sure you are constantly drinking water so your throat doesnt dry out. I set my alarm every 30 minutes after lying down to sleep, to wake up and drink water. Sleep is your enemy, as much I hate to tell you. I suggest doing as I did and also sleeping with an ice pack as much as possible. Make sure you take your medicines throughout the night. You will regret falling asleep without doing so. Days 8-10: Scabs are all gone and you can finally eat things of substance. Try to wean yourself off the pain medications. I only take them for sleep at this point. My follow up appointment is tomorrow. I lost a total of 10 pounds (now at 104 pounds, yikes) from not eating. Make sure you are drinking Ensure or something similar to keep your body nourished. Good luck with your surgery and remember it will all be worth it in the end.

Comment from: Sher, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 33 years old and had a tonsillectomy last week Wednesday (May 13th). I feel as though I am not getting better. I felt as though they did not give me enough pain medicines so last Friday I had to get some other medicines (Percocet) and those didn't last me too long either. I cannot drink anything. I have to force myself to take the medicines that are crushed up in Gatorade, every 4 to 5 hrs. I am constantly told to drink as much water as I can but I cannot! The pain is too much; to even swallow my saliva is a big deal. I am on day 6 and have cried many times as my ears hurt and it feels like someone took an iron to my throat. I miss food very much but for now just sticking to soup broth, popsicles and some Jell-O. I hope the pain goes away fast as I am due back to work next week. I see the surgeon on Thursday, hope he prescribes some more medicines. Good luck everyone.

Comment from: reza, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

Today is my second day post operation. I had tonsil stone on the right side which I used to think was just one, and a cyst hurting me especially during cold or allergic congestions. I was very obsessive regarding cleaning my tonsils and finally after three years of trying useless ways to remove tonsil stones I decided to have them removed. A few days before the tonsillectomy procedure I was very anxious that I couldn't even sleep. Whenever I was reading others' experiences I was about to cancel my operation. Finally I decided to go for surgery and I did it yesterday. Before surgery I prepared myself mentally. I told myself that two or three weeks of misery is part of my life and I can pass it behind. After operation my doctor told me the right tonsil was full of stones and the one that I was worried about was just one of them. And also the part of the cyst on the left side was just tip of the iceberg and the much larger part was behind the tonsil. Though I don't have a fun time now I think I will pass this period successfully. I have pain on swallowing even my own saliva, let alone ice cream! I can't sleep very well now. But these are ok not very intolerable yet.

Comment from: gio81, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I'm on day 5 after my tonsillectomy surgery; what can I say it's been pure agony, not being able to swallow anything including fluids, without extreme pain. I have been given a couple of different pain killers, the most powerful of which is tramadol; now this is an extremely powerful painkiller. I have used it before when I bruised my ribs and it worked a treat, this time however to my shock it has hardly had an effect. Now I will say that I probably have more neck muscle than the average patient, and I was told this would most likely make the recovery more painful. Now if you are thinking that I am a person with low pain tolerance think again, I've been known not to need local anesthesia for dental work. So to the doctors in the 80s who thought removing my adenoids and not my tonsils was okay, think again.

Comment from: sglenney11, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am on day 5 of recovery from tonsillectomy (including surgery day). Days 1 to 3 were not bad at all. I was able to eat eggs and bread (small bites at a time) less than 24 hours after the procedure. However, the last 2 days have been a bit more painful. It has not been unmanageable though but I don't know if that's because it's not that bad or because I have been very good about taking my medicines and drinking water. I have high hopes that it will only get better from here.

Comment from: Jodie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I am on day three after a tonsillectomy. The day of the surgery was a piece of cake as I was still numb, day two was a little more painful and day three is on par with that. Considering that I had to have stitches after procedure due to a difficult extraction, the pain isn't as bad as my worst case of tonsillitis. I don't know if this is a UK site but here in England we are told to eat normal food like cereal and toast to remove dead tissue, strengthen muscles and to speed up the healing process. I eat about half an hour after taking my medicines, only taking paracetamol and Ibuprofen as I am not risking being sick with codeine. Eating isn't as bad as it sounds, as it hurts just as much as swallowing. Hopefully I am out of the woods and I will start to get better.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter