Tonsillectomy is the surgical removal of both tonsils. A tonsillectomy may be performed in cases of recurrent tonsillitis, or treat sleep apnea and some speech disorders. Read more: Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy Surgical Instructions Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Sore throats are generally described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by: bacterial...
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms such as: Bad...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat. Signs and symptoms of strep throat include headache, nausea,...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Is Tonsillitis Contagious?
Tonsillitis is a common infection, especially in kids. Tonsillitis is caused by viruses and bacteria like the flu and herpes...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Bad breath can result from poor oral hygiene habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath, also called...
Nausea and vomiting after eating are symptoms that may be caused by many conditions. Antiemetics are drugs that help get rid of...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
How to Stop Snoring
Snoring is caused by the vibrations of the soft tissues at the back of the nose and throat while a person sleeps. There are many...
Local ResourcesFind a local Ear, Nose, & Throat Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- codeine (for Pain)
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- ondansetron - oral, Zofran
- promethazine, Phenergan, Phenadoz, Promethegan
- promethazine and codeine, Phenergan with Codeine
Prevention & Wellness
- Kids Still Getting Risky Painkiller After Tonsillectomy
- Tonsillectomy for Sleep Apnea Carries Risks for Some Kids: Study
- Morphine After Tonsillectomy Tied to Breathing Problems in Study
- Tonsillectomy Complications May Be More Likely in Poor, Minority Kids
- Tonsillectomy for Sleep Apnea May Trigger Weight Gain
- Summer's a Great Time for Tonsil Removal
- Tonsillectomy May Spur Weight Gain in Kids, But Won't Cause Obesity: Study
- Complication Rate After Adult Tonsillectomy Higher Than Thought
- Study Finds Tonsillectomy Just as Safe for Adults as Kids
- U.S. Children's Hospitals Vary Widely In Tonsillectomy Care
- After Tonsillectomy, Over-the-Counter Painkillers Suffice, Study Says
- Removing Tonsils Helps Kids With Sleep Apnea, Study Finds
- Tonsillectomy Might Be Worth It for Some Adults
- Codeine Risky for Kids After Certain Surgeries, FDA Says
- Surgery Checklists Help OR Teams in a Crisis, Study Finds
- Cartoons May Ease Anxiety for Kids Facing Surgery
- After Tonsillectomy, Steroids May Not Increase Bleeding
- Kids' Strep Throat: Likely No Need to Lose Tonsils
- Younger Kids Likelier to Gain Weight After Tonsillectomy
- Summertime Is Tonsillectomy Time
- Codeine After Surgery Could Endanger Certain Kids: Study
- Treating Sleep Apnea in Kids Improves Behavior, Quality of Life
- New Guidelines on When Kids Need Tonsillectomies
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter