Developmental milestones for toddlers (children 1-3 years of age) include recognizing him- or herself in pictures or in the mirror, imitating others' behavior, showing defiant behavior, recognizing names of familiar people, following simple instructions, sort objects by shape, and express a wide range of emotions. It's important for parents to read to their toddler daily, encourage pretend play, teach your child simple songs, play matching games, and name body parts. Read more: Toddlers: Child Development Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Autism Signs in Children: What Is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
What is autism? Learn about the signs, symptoms, and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder. Get information about the causes of...
ADHD in Children: Better Parenting
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a common disorder seen in children. Parents can learn tips and techniques to...
Parenting: Learn to Be a Better Parent
Good parenting isn't magical. It takes learning, dedication, and hard work. Learn how to set rules, offer love, and discipline...
Healthy Eating for Kids - Recipes and Meal Ideas
Teaching healthy eating to kids and toddlers can be tricky. How do you get your kids to eat vegetables? Are your kids eating a...
Better Ways to Feed Your Baby
What tips and tricks help you introduce healthy foods to your baby's diet. Learn techniques for feeding that work for infants and...
Top Surprises of Life After Baby Arrives in Pictures
What are surprises new parents when they bring a baby home? Learn about infant sleep, getting help, adult relationships, and...
Exercise Tips for Kids and the Whole Family
Exercise is great for kids, and fun activities for the whole family are there if you know how to find them. Learn how to lose...
Related Disease Conditions
Pinworms (Infection in Children and Adults, Enterobiasis)
Pinworm infection is an intestinal infection caused by a pinworm, seatworm, or threadworm. Female pinworms leave the intestine...
Roseola is a viral illness that most commonly affects young children. Symptoms and signs include a sudden high fever that lasts...
Croup Sounds, Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Croup is a contagious viral infection that affects children's respiratory system. Symptoms include a barking cough, stridor,...
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a highly contagious viral infection. Symptoms include fever and nasal congestion and...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Cold and Cough Medicine for Infants and Children
The safety of giving infants and children over-the-counter (OTC) cold and cough medicine is important for caregivers to...
Iron is a mineral our bodies need. Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from not enough iron in the body. It is the most...
Mumps is an acute viral illness caused by the mumps virus. Symptoms of mumps include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness,...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (In Children and Adults)
Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social...
Cerebral palsy (CP) is an abnormality of motor function and postural tone acquired at an early age (even before birth). Cerebral...
Separation anxiety disorder is a common childhood anxiety disorder that has many causes. Infants, children, older kids and adults...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Shigellosis is a disease caused by the Shigella bacteria. Bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fever are common symptoms. Mild...
GERD and GER (Acid Reflux) in Infants and Children
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is the upward movement of stomach content, including acid, into the esophagus and...
There are two types of asthma medications: long-term control with anti-inflammatory drugs and quick relief from bronchodilators....
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Hirschsprung Disease (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Hirschsprung disease is an inherited condition that is present at birth (congenital) in which the nerves of parts of the large...
Leigh's Disease (Leigh's Syndrome)
Leigh's disease (Leigh's syndrome) is a rare genetic neurometabolic disorder. The symptoms of Leigh's disease include loss of...
Learn more about cavities including symptoms, treatment, and prevention. See how tooth decay, plaque, and bacteria contribute to...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Baby Steps Head Off a Fussy Eater
- Why It's Important to Boost Baby's Vocabulary Now
- Teething Jewelry Linked to at Least One Baby's Death: FDA
- Health Tip: Lessen Growing Pains
- Health Tip: Take Care of Your Child's Vision
- Secondhand Pot Smoke Found in Kids' Lungs
- Health Tip: Prevent Temper Tantrums
- Health Tip: A Pediatrician's Role in Special Education
- Common Chemical Tied to Language Delay in Kids
- Try Small 'Bites' to Get Kids to Exercise
- Health Tip: Evaluating Your Child's Handwriting
- Health Tip: Help Your Child Deal With Night Terrors
- Can Too Much Screen Time Dumb Down Your Kid?
- Booster Shots Safe for Most Kids Who Have Vaccine Reaction: Study
- Health Tip: Let Kids Play
- Parents Fret Over Fussy Eaters - but What Works?
- Can Mouth Swab at Age 2 Predict Obesity?
- Boys Lag Behind Girls in Reading by 4th Grade
- Infant Walkers Still Injuring Thousands of Babies
- Picky Eating May Mask Larger Issues
- Talking to Baby Might Boost Middle School Success
- Homelessness Takes Toll on Kids' Health Even Before They're Born
- Health Tip: Promote Play for Your Child
- Pediatricians Make Change to Child Car Seat Guidelines
- Health Tip: Your Toddler Can Be a Vegetarian
- Health Tip: Manage the Terrible 3's
- Kids' Play Is Healthy, Pediatricians' Group Says
- How to Get Your Kids to Eat Better
- Many Young Kids Not Screened for Developmental Delays
- How 'Helicopter' Parenting Impedes a Child's Development
- Can Excess Weight in Toddlers Cause Brain Drain?
- Simple Drug Packaging Change Could Save Toddlers' Lives
- Gardening Isn't Just for Adults
- Health Tip: Milestones to Look for by Age 5
- Kids Are Naturally as Fit as an 'Iron Man'
- Anesthesia Doesn't Seem to Harm Child's IQ: Study
- Video Games May Be OK for Toddlers -- If Mom or Dad Join In
- Even Toddlers Endangered by Opioids, Other Addictive Drugs
- Blood Levels of Toxic Fire Retardants Declining in Kids
- Rubber Duckies Swimming With Bacteria: Study
- Sports 'Sponsorships' Hawk Junk Food to Kids
- Reading With Your Toddler Boosts More Than Just Language Skills
- Health Tip: Use a High Chair Safely
- Tonsillectomy May Carry More Risks in Kids Age 3 and Under
- There's a Health Dividend for Some Babies Who Look Like Dad
- Too Much Touchscreen Use Means Toddlers Can't Hold Pencils
- To Tell the Truth: Kids' Edition
- Pointers for Easier Potty Training
- Preemies Get a Slow Start on Friendships
- When Should You Rush Your Toddler to the ER?
- Outdoor Play May Foster Little Environmentalists
- Health Tip: Transitioning Toddlers to One Nap
- Kids Born to Older Moms Score Higher on Thinking Tests
- Can Parents' Weight Hinder Toddlers' Development?
- Health Tip: Help Toddlers Develop Stronger Hands
- Anesthesia Before Age 4 May Have Slight Impact on Later School Performance
- Dogs Too Smart to Follow Useless Advice
- Toddlers at High Risk of Chemical Eye Burns: Study
- Babies' Sleep 'Twitching' May Aid Their Development
- Stressed Dads Can Affect Kids' Development
- Health Tip: Taming Your Toddler's Aggression
- Noisy Homes Can Slow a Toddler's Vocabulary
- Limit Kids' Exposure to Media Violence, Pediatricians Say
- Health Tip: When Potty Training Doesn't Go Well
- Health Tip: Choosing the Right Potty Seat
- Health Tip: Toddlers Should Get Vitamins From Diet
- Genetic Insights May Help Kids Battling Developmental Delays
- What Works -- And Doesn't -- to Manage Your Tot's Screen Time
- Toddlers' Sweet Tooth a Weight-Gain Danger, Study Confirms
- Toddlers Adept at Using Touch-Screen Devices, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Giving Toddlers Needed Playtime
- Health Tip: Use a High Chair Safely
- Short Legs May Explain Why Toddlers Teeter
- Tricycle Accidents Send More Than 9,000 Tots to ER a Year: Study
- Health Tip: Choosing Shoes for Your Busy Toddler
- Put Car Seat on Your Summer-Travel Checklist
- 14 Percent of Toddlers May Be Drinking Coffee
- Toddler Snacks, Meals Have Lots of Salt and Sugar: Study
- Many Parents Too Quick to Switch Child Car Seats, Study Finds
- Toddlers Hurt in Falls Often Not Warned About Climbing on Furniture
- Health Tip: Saying Goodbye to Your Child at Day Care
- Study Shows How Toddlers Adjust to Adult Anger
- Hearing Their Own Babble Helps Babies Learn to Speak: Study
- Health Tip: Encouraging Your Toddlers to Read
- Health Tip: Promoting Social Behavior in Toddlers
- Background TV May Hinder Toddlers' Language Development
- Health Tip: Naptime for Toddlers
- Toddlers Who Sleep Less May Eat More
- Health Tip: Childproof Your Home
- Keep Your Toddler's Body Clock in Mind at Bedtime
- Health Tip: Avoid Bathseats for Toddlers
- Health Tip: Are Your Toddler's Toes Turning?
- How Toddlers' TV Time Can Hurt Kindergarten Success
- Hand Gestures May Help Kids Solve Problems
- TVs Toppling Onto Tots at Alarming Rate, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Disciplining Your Toddler
- Health Tip: Protect Young Ones From Suffocation
- Health Tip: Prevent Furniture Tipping
- Drowning Prevention Measures to Keep Kids Safe in Water
- Health Tip: Encourage Safe Exploring Outdoors
- Tots' Sleep Differences Due to Genes, Environment, Study Suggests
- Blind Cords Pose Danger to Toddlers, Doctors Warn
- Health Tip: Encourage Your Toddler to Read
- Ready-to-Eat Foods for Toddlers Often Too Salty: Study
- Switch to Skim Milk Won't Prevent Toddler's Obesity: Study
- 'Bilingual Babies' Can Tell Languages Apart
- Childhood Obesity Rates Drop in New York City, Los Angeles: Study
- Health Tip: Encourage Kids to Snack on Fruits and Veggies
- Study Tracks Kids' Brain Activity While Watching 'Sesame Street'
- Health Tip: Don't Overfeed Your Toddler
- Early Language Skills Reduce Preschool Tantrums, Study Finds
- Having Babies Sit Up May Help Them Learn
- Pacifiers Crawling With Germs
- Potty-Training Method Won't Affect Tot's Health: Study
- Foster Kids Adopted by Same-Sex Parents Make Big Gains, Study Says
- Health Tip: Is Your Child a Biter?
- Health Tip: Kids Need to Stop Sucking Their Thumbs
- Health Tip: Treat a Toddler to a Picnic
- Mailed Kits May Prompt Parents to Protect Kids From Sun
- Health Tip: Treat a Toddler to a Picnic
- Young Children Treated for Cancer May Be at Risk for PTSD: Study
- Childhood Vaccination Rates Remain High, CDC Says
- Laundry Packs Tempting to Children
- Tiny Batteries a Rising Risk for Children
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Baby Bottle Tooth Decay
- Few U.S. Kids Using Correct Car Safety Restraints
- Vitamin D Deficiency Common in Sick Kids
- Health Tip: Keep Your Child Safe in a High Chair
- Too Much Bottled Water Might Harm Kids' Teeth
- Teething Baby? Avoid Benzocaine, FDA Says
- Children's Toe Walking Not a Sign of Bigger Problems
- Toddlers Are Happier to Give Than Receive: Study
- Spanking Linked to Long-Term Mental Health Issues
- Evenflo Recalls Convertible High Chairs
- Health Tip: Keep Magnets Away From Children
- Drowning Top Cause of Injury Deaths in Kids 1-4
- In Mom's Eyes, Overweight Toddler May Not Be
- Overly Long Pregnancies Linked to Behavioral Problems in Toddlers
- Impulsive Tots at Risk for Gambling Problems Later: Study
- Background TV May Harm Young Kids' Development
- Even Toddlers Succumb to Peer Pressure, Study Says
- Emotional Trauma May Hurt Toddlers' Later Learning
- Study Suggests Treating Dyslexia Before Kids Learn to Read
- Health Tip: Stop Toddler Tantrums Before They Start
- With Spanking, Nature and Nurture Create More Aggression, Study Suggests
- Young Puzzle-Solvers May Be Tomorrow's Engineers
- Overly Strict, Controlling Parents Risk Raising Delinquent Kids
- Toddlers With Angry Parents May Have More Temper Tantrums
- Health Tip: Never Leave Kids in the Car
- Health Tip: Practice Window Safety
- Quality Day Care Predicts Later Parental Involvement in School
- Health Tip: Teach Your Toddler Good Behavior
- Health Tip: How to Protect Toddlers From Burns
- Dyslexia's Brain Changes May Occur Before Kids Learn to Read
- Study: Preschools Forgo Free Play for Safety, Academics
- Infant Acetaminophen Dosage Change May Cause Confusion
- Very Early Experiences May Stick in Memory
- Are Working Moms Healthier and Happier?
- Accidental Drug Overdoses on the Rise Among Kids
- Some of World's Tiniest ‘Preemies' Are Growing Up Healthy
- Low Vitamin D May Raise Diabetes Risk in Kids
- Arsenic in Apple, Grape Juice
- Chickenpox Vaccination of Children Helps Protect Infants, Too
- Consumer Group: Dangerous Toys Are on Store Shelves
- Sweets Ban at School Parties May Cut Calorie Overload
- Lack of Sleep, Overweight Linked to Kids' Learning Problems
- Toddler's Dust Mite Sensitivity May Predict Later Asthma
- Bullies and Bullied Frequently See School Nurse
- CDC: Kids Lack Access to Healthy Food Choices
- Despite Warning, Babies Still Get Cough Medicine
- Is Alternative Medicine Risky for Kids?
- Fewer Kids Injured by Cleaning Products