- Least Effective Exercises Slideshow
- Dehydration Tips Slideshow Pictures
- First Aid Sprains & Strains Slideshow Pictures
- What is tizanidine-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for tizanidine-oral?
- Is tizanidine-oral available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for tizanidine-oral?
- What are the uses for tizanidine-oral?
- What are the side effects of tizanidine-oral?
- What is the dosage for tizanidine-oral?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with tizanidine-oral?
- Is tizanidine-oral safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about tizanidine-oral?
What is tizanidine-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Tizanidine is a skeletal muscle relaxant. It works on alpha2 receptors in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) and blocks nerve impulses from reaching muscles which produces muscle relaxation. The FDA approved tizanidine in November 1996.
What are the uses for tizanidine-oral?
What is the dosage for tizanidine-oral?
Initially take 2 - 4 mg by mouth every 6 to 8 hours for up to 3 doses in 24 hours. Increase by 2 to 4 mg until satisfactory response is achieved; however, the maximum dose is 36 mg per day.
Which drugs or supplements interact with tizanidine-oral?
Tizanidine should not be used with:
- ciprofloxacin (Cipro),
- amiodarone (Cordarone),
- cimetidine (Tagamet),
- oral contraceptives,
- acyclovir (Zovirax), and
- fluvoxamine (Luvox).
These medications can slow down the breakdown of tizanidine and lead to increased sedation, drowsiness and slowed reflexes.
Tizanidine should be used with caution with medications like:
- alprazolam (Xanax),
- clonazepam (Klonopin),
- diazepam (Valium),
- zolpidem (Ambien),
- oxycodone (Roxicodone),
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid),
- amitriptyline (Elavil),
- nortriptyline (Pamelor) and
These medications can further increase the side effects of tizanidine.
Is tizanidine-oral safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies done on tizanidine to determine safe and effective use in pregnant women.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms and Treatment
Learn about multiple sclerosis (MS) causes, symptoms, and treatment for this autoimmune disease that attacks the nerves of the...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Multiple Sclerosis is a debilitating neurological condition. Take the MS Quiz to test your knowledge of the causes, symptoms,...
Picture of Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis may be single or multiple and may range from mild to severe in intensity and short to long in...
Related Disease Conditions
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Pain and Injury Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
FDA Prescribing Information